PDA

View Full Version : Noise from my dual G5

tyson12zoll
Oct 10, 2003, 12:12 AM
Since I received my G5, I've noticed a noise coming out of it relating to the intensity of the task at hand or movement of quartz effects on screen. Its hard to explain, but i'll do my best.
The noise as a VERY high pitched ring. Like a ringing in your ears almost. Its not my cinema display or speakers. I've narrowed it down to the computer its self. Its also not fan related as it occurs both while the fans are at full blast and idling.
Here are some examples of when I might hear this noise:
Icons bouncing in the doc. I thought initially that the noise was screen related as it was exactly in sync when an icon would bounce in the dock. (ring ring rgin...ring ring ring)
Minimizing windows will do it. Quitting apps will do it even if there is no closing of windows involved with quitting the app. Launching iTunes does it too.
Just tonight I was playing around with the energy saver preferences for processor performance. There is a HUGE reduction in the noise if I use automatic or reduced settings. I'm normally on high. Any one else have this problem? I originally thought I would get used to it, but it's just getting more annoying.
P.S. this is not the cricket sound that comes out of the computer that many have noticed.

tyson12zoll
Oct 10, 2003, 12:14 AM
Forgot to mention the setup. Its a dual 2 GHZ with 2.5 MB of crucial ram. maxtor 250 GB HD and Raedeon 9800 Pro. Also cinema display 20 and logitec z-680s via optical out. I've gone as far as removing my speakers and screen from the room im in...its not them.

Laslo Panaflex
Oct 10, 2003, 01:48 PM
I have the same thing happen to me. I think that it is the powersupply that is making the squeling noise. I don't think that there is anything to do about it.

It's not the big a deal to me becuase I my PC is ten times louder then my g5, I can easily put up with it:D

e-coli
Oct 10, 2003, 02:09 PM
Is the G5 quieter than the MDD version of G4?

Laslo Panaflex
Oct 10, 2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by e-coli
Is the G5 quieter than the MDD version of G4?

I haven't heard a MDD g4 by itslelf, but if I have to compare it to another mac, it is about the same noise as my girlfriends g4 iMac. It gets louder when the processors are doing intense work, but still not nearly as loud as my 1.4gig athalon machine.

Hope that helps.

agreenster
Oct 10, 2003, 02:22 PM
Okay it makes a noise---but how's the performance??

MacBandit
Oct 10, 2003, 02:26 PM
You're squeal is quite interesting. I had a PowerMac 7100/80 that did the exact same thing. Well as I remember it was a chip on the computer that when they work I think due to heating and cooling it actually vibrated at fast enough rate to produce a squealing sound. I would complain to Apple. Hopefully they will get enough complaints to fix this.

It won't necessarily require replacement of the G5. With the 7100 as I remember it only happened with a certain version of Mac OS 7.x. On the old PowerMac the sound only occurred when moving icons around on the screen, similar to what your complaint is.

Laslo Panaflex
Oct 10, 2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by agreenster
Okay it makes a noise---but how's the performance??

Fastest computer I have ever used. I hate using my 800 emac at work. . . I feel so non productive (probably because I read macrumors and post on the boards on all long):D

Foxer
Oct 10, 2003, 03:06 PM
Same thing here. No idea what causes it. My kernal panic problem (see other thread) is a bigger deal, so I don't pay it any mind. I can rarely hear unless there is zero ambient noise in the room.

Oh, I had two G4 powermacs Dual 1.25 and a dual 1.4) and this is more quiet by far.

cgundlach
Oct 10, 2003, 03:44 PM
When I first got my dual G5 (my first Mac) it seemed fairly loud to me. The pitch of the sound is definitely what I would call a "whine". It was louder than my wife's Dell (she asked "Is it always going to sound like that?"). I swear that after I loaded the latest OS X update that it is much quieter, and I can hear the Dell over the G5. Could be that I have gotten used to it (previously I only had a laptop and a Sun Ray on my desk). Also I concur about the noise level going up with graphics activity. Keep in mind if you have the 9800 ATI card, though, that it is supposedly pretty loud. I only have the 9600. I have not changed my performance settings.

tyson12zoll
Oct 10, 2003, 03:50 PM
Oh yea, the 9800 is a loud mo fo too. Its actually the loudest fan in this thing. I imagine those with the other cards have much quieter systems. The noise that really bothers me isn't fan related at all though. Its apparently totally independent from the fans.
I've looked into cooling options for the 9800. There are some silent kits for it with massive heat sinks. They tend to go both over and under the card though, and in the g5, there is like ZERO space under the AGP port.

KentuckyApple
Oct 10, 2003, 04:29 PM
The noise is a result of the processors waking up from 'napping'. Many users have experienced including myself. There is a discussion on apples website about it, as well as a fix.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@55.2bJzaQzKhTd.12@.599a1932/7

ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Tool_Chest/Testing_-_Debugging/Performance_tools/CHUD_3.0.0.dmg.bin

Download the CHUD tools and then uncheck the nap box in your new hardware pref pane.

tyson12zoll
Oct 10, 2003, 04:46 PM
note to self...check the apple forums more often! ;)

Thanks a Mill!