PDA

View Full Version : HELP - AppleTalk best way to go?

foolsday
Oct 10, 2003, 02:21 AM
I recieved my brand new 15" PB today and have been using a System 9.0.4 G3 for the last few years. OSX has AppleTalk built in for legacy users like myself so I figured it would be snap to transfer my files from the G3.

After linking them with a patch cable and turning AppleTalk on I noticed that the G3 recognized the PB as a server but I didn't see any overwhelming indication that the PB saw the G3. Furthermore, whenever I try to connect to the PB using the G3 all I get is an immediate "connection was interrupted" type message. I thought perhaps I could make it work by going through classic so I tried using the Chooser in OS9 on my laptop but it only recognised the PB as being available and it didn't make much sense for the computer to connect to itself.

Is there a way to get AppleTalk to work in this situation and/or do I have any other options available that would make use of the ethernet connection (p2p, etc?)?

MacsRgr8
Oct 10, 2003, 04:23 AM
Mac OS X doesn't connect to AFP Filerservers (or Shared Macs) over AppleTalk.
You can browse, but not connect.
Same other way round. Mac OS X can only offer AFP services (filesharing) over TCP/IP. Browsing using AppleTalk is possible, but the Client (Mac OS X, or Mac OS 9) cannot connect over AppleTalk.

So what to do?

Mac OS 9 tries to connect to AFP servers (shared Macs) over TCP/IP by default (although you can force the connection over AppleTalk).
So,
Make sure TCP/IP is setup correclty on both machines, making them both belong to the same subnet. This makes it possible to share the files via Filesharing both ways. Browse using AppleTalk (making finding eachother easier, as Mac OS 9 doesn't use Rendezvous), but connecting over TCP/IP.

Need help setting up TCP/IP? Just ask. Many on these boards will help! :)

trainguy77
Dec 16, 2003, 06:26 PM
i am using OS9 and 10 and i found that OS x supports longer computer names than 9. so if you name of the OS x computer is too long OS 9 will not see the X computer. It may make problems else where, so check how long the X name is.

MisterMe
Dec 16, 2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by MacsRgr8
Mac OS X doesn't connect to AFP Filerservers (or Shared Macs) over AppleTalk.
You can browse, but not connect.
Same other way round. Mac OS X can only offer AFP services (filesharing) over TCP/IP. Browsing using AppleTalk is possible, but the Client (Mac OS X, or Mac OS 9) cannot connect over AppleTalk.

So what to do?

Mac OS 9 tries to connect to AFP servers (shared Macs) over TCP/IP by default (although you can force the connection over AppleTalk).
So,
Make sure TCP/IP is setup correclty on both machines, making them both belong to the same subnet. This makes it possible to share the files via Filesharing both ways. Browse using AppleTalk (making finding eachother easier, as Mac OS 9 doesn't use Rendezvous), but connecting over TCP/IP.

Need help setting up TCP/IP? Just ask. Many on these boards will help! :) That's just not right. I used AppleTalk to connect my G5 to my PM 9500 so that I could transfer my data to the new machine. I think that you are confusing AppleTalk with LocalTalk. You cannot use LocalTalk cables with MacOS X. You must use Ethernet. However, AppleTalk over Ethernet works just fine for servers and printers.

iJon
Dec 16, 2003, 06:41 PM
you may find it easier to connect to you os 9 machine from the x machine, unless you are already doign that it, i skimmed through the post.

iJon

Les Kern
Dec 16, 2003, 08:03 PM
Transfering files might be (is) better accomplished with target disk mode using a 6pin to 6pin FW cable. It's WAY faster since we most all have huge amounts of data, and you don't have to worry about permissions and such. Drag and drop your way to nirvana the easy way!
As for your connection issues, make sure your sharing points are set up correctly, and Appletalk is turned on in both.

MacsRgr8
Dec 17, 2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by MisterMe
That's just not right. I used AppleTalk to connect my G5 to my PM 9500 so that I could transfer my data to the new machine. I think that you are confusing AppleTalk with LocalTalk. You cannot use LocalTalk cables with MacOS X. You must use Ethernet. However, AppleTalk over Ethernet works just fine for servers and printers.

I know the difference between LocalTalk and AppleTalk, but I stand corrected:

taken from this Apple support article (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106262)

1. Some computers that appear in the Chooser do not appear in the Connect to Server dialog.

2. The following message appears in an alert box when you attempt to use the Chooser in the Classic environment:
"The AppleShare server you are trying to connect to appears not to support the IP protocol required by Mac OS X. Check with the server's administrator if a 'Server IP Address' is available."

Products affected

Mac OS X 10.0 to 10.0.4
Mac OS 9.0 and later
Mac OS 8.6 and earlier
AppleShare IP 5.0 and later
AppleShare IP 6.0 and later
Windows NT Services for Macintosh
Any other third-party server that offers AppleShare (AFP) over AppleTalk only

Solution

Update to Mac OS X 10.1, which can connect to AppleShare over the AppleTalk protocol. The following section is useful if you do not yet have the Mac OS X 10.1 Update. It may also provide you with useful background information.

As you can see, my info was outdated.
Mac OS X 10.0 could not connect to AFP servers over AppleTalk.... Later versions can.