PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help !!!!!!! [G4 PowerBook]

Gokhan
Oct 10, 2003, 06:35 AM
I have just brought a apple G4 powerbook off a mutal friend who has moved to australia,my nightmare has started.

Problem one is he did not format the harddrive as he promied

Problem two is now i can't log in to the system because i don't know his password and i am having diffuculties contacting him.

Problem three is i have tried booting from os 9.2 and a error type 11 comes up during set-up telling me to restart the machine with extentions off which i did to no avail.

Problem four is i tried booting from os 10.2 and it just crash's with white horizontal lines or just tell's me to re-start in four languages.

I have tried zapping the pram , resetting it , taking out one of my memory sticks still !!!!!!!!!! to avail,and top of this i tried connecting it up to another mac via firewire and deleted the whole hd and still i get the same problems.

can anyone tell me what the problem could be ? or how i can recover my hd and maybe through firewire mode delete the file containing the start-up passwords

I need help despertly as i really want it to run.

please please please help me help me help me, apple have not been very usefull apart from telling me it is most probably a hardware issue and that starts at a flat rate of 300 which i have not got after spending 800 buying it , can any users come to the rescue ??????????

wrc fan
Oct 10, 2003, 07:05 AM
Do you have the 10.2 installation CDs? If so boot up from that, and under one of the menus when it boots up is an option to reset the password. You might also want to open up the disk utility and verify the disk to make sure everything is ok. If none of that helps, and including what you've already done, I'd guess it's a hardware problem.

bananadan
Oct 10, 2003, 03:29 PM
Sounds to me that if you get the machine booted to a startup disk, you should simply erase the disk and reinstall. Given the dire symptoms reported I would not spend much time trying to repair what's there, and you probably want to eliminate previous users, which practically speaking only happens when you completely reformat the drive..

Rower_CPU
Oct 10, 2003, 04:45 PM
Please give help threads descriptive titles.