PDA

View Full Version : MacWorld 2004? What's next?

PuterSaurus
Oct 10, 2003, 08:12 AM
This has been a big year for Apple and new products.

They have released updated iMacs; new PowerBooks, new G5's and soon Panther.

What could possibly be in store for January?

:confused:

c2kvette
Oct 10, 2003, 08:29 AM
I think they will possibly release the 20th Anniversary Macintosh.
But who knows - that's whats really cool about Apple - you never know what they might come up with!

MacsRgr8
Oct 10, 2003, 08:43 AM
Something like TAM 2. Somekind of all-in-one G5?
This time to celebrate the Mac's 20th birthday, not Apple's.... I dunno.

I do hope for a G5 iMac, but it probably will be too soon. Speculating next summer, while the Pro line-up will be all duals.
G5 eh... Cube?Pentagon?Pyramide?

who knows ! :D

Sol
Oct 10, 2003, 09:24 AM
January will most likely see an update to the PowerMac line. I hope that all three models come with dual processors but it is most likely to be the top two only.

The cinema displays are also due for an update to bigger sizes and aluminium bodies... to match the G5 Powermacs.

There are also the XServes and XServe RAID which have yet to be updated with G5 processors and Serial ATA drives.

Finally... a new AppleWorks to out-office Office. There is demand for this in the Mac community.

jefhatfield
Oct 10, 2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by PuterSaurus
This has been a big year for Apple and new products.

They have released updated iMacs; new PowerBooks, new G5's and soon Panther.

What could possibly be in store for January?

:confused:

in a perfect world, G5s announced at 3+ ghz, an apple pda, cell phone, G5 powerbook, and os 11 beta (at least)

but prolly just speed bumps, a redesigned ibook and emac (maybe), and some really cool app, perhaps free to show the world that apple is just as much a software company as a hardware company (if not more)

if apple is to keep up with the amazingly popular and high selling dells and hps, we need to be as good(fast) as my first sentence on this post!!

MacsRgr8
Oct 10, 2003, 05:07 PM
Mac OS XI will be the first 64 bits OS.....
G5 minimum, just like nowadays a built-in USB G3 is required for Panther.
Hmm... took 4 years to get to the requirement of the newest Macs then. :rolleyes:

simX
Oct 10, 2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by MacsRgr8
G5 minimum, just like nowadays a built-in USB G3 is required for Panther.
Hmm... took 4 years to get to the requirement of the newest Macs then. :rolleyes:

*ARG*. I can't stand it when someone says "Mac OS XI". That looks and sounds so lame. In my opinion, the Jaguar and Panther designations are the first step into eliminating the version number altogether in Mac OS X. I just hope that they don't start calling their updates "service packs". :rolleyes: Mac OS X Lynx is infinitely better than Mac OS XI, lol.

Anyway, back on topic. I really hope that Apple is going to release some 20th Macintosh Anniversary Macintosh -- the TMAM, instead of the TAM. :P Not that I would have the money to buy one or anything, but I want to be wowed. I, too, am kind of anxious to know something about MWSF 2004, since I'm probably going to go to the keynote. :D

cesar
Oct 10, 2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by MacsRgr8

there are several 6 Bits OS, even a windows 64bits... IRIX, Solaris, HPUX, Compaq Tru 64 and more....

Kwyjibo
Oct 10, 2003, 07:13 PM
the dispalys don't necessarily follow an update schedule like other products so don't count on updates .... i know there was a rumor but its not necessarily guarantted

dswoodley
Oct 10, 2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
in a perfect world, G5s announced at 3+ ghz, an apple pda, cell phone, G5 powerbook, and os 11 beta (at least)

but prolly just speed bumps, a redesigned ibook and emac (maybe), and some really cool app, perhaps free to show the world that apple is just as much a software company as a hardware company (if not more)

if apple is to keep up with the amazingly popular and high selling dells and hps, we need to be as good(fast) as my first sentence on this post!!

os 11 just aint happening any year soon. Jobs, Schiller and others have repeatedly said X is the roadmap for the foreseeable future. We can look forward to X.4, but thats about it.

I'd love to see a new "intro level" iMac - sorry but the eMac is a behemoth!

Jagga
Oct 10, 2003, 10:47 PM
X11 is too reminiscent to X11 windowing system. I would like to see, OLED on future PowerBooks!! that'll really boost user time.

Also I want OLED on iMac FP or even on iPods.

I do want to see something as amazing and breathtaking as the 20th anniversary Mac.

MacsRgr8
Oct 11, 2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by cesar
there are several 6 Bits OS, even a windows 64bits... IRIX, Solaris, HPUX, Compaq Tru 64 and more....

First 64 bits Mac OS is what I meant.

Wasn't a serious post.... sorry.

dstorey
Oct 11, 2003, 07:42 PM
I think the Mac OS X name will stick around for a while too, what with having all these pay point releases and X more and more seeming to being a sign of UniX, even though it's pronounced ten. XI does pretty much look pony.

Next year I'd like to see some cool new DLD, two button wireless mouse, matching monitors and maybe a tivo like device with a supporting i app to complete the digital hub. I'd personally like to see Sony drop production of windows computers and becomeing more an apple partner...they suit each other so well, and woukd give apple much more credability as an alternative to windows from them not in the know. I wanna see a AIS alliance (Apple-IBM-Sony) Apple comps, IBM Power PC and server tech/software, and sony playstation and consumer electronics/gagets ...playstaion on mac, now that would kill the no games on mac argument....and playstation 3 will use a IBM chip...though that wont be out by 2004. Someone picking up moto ppc and running with it would be nice too, whether intel, AMD or whoever, as long as they are serious about it. O I'd like to see Mac OS X as an option on the i and p-series IBM servers too...but thats maybe a bit too much to ask.

jefhatfield
Oct 12, 2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by dstorey
I think the Mac OS X name will stick around for a while too, what with having all these pay point releases and X more and more seeming to being a sign of UniX, even though it's pronounced ten. XI does pretty much look pony.

i have never seen it that way, with the "X" making it sound unix like, but that makes sense

where os x beta went to os x, and then to 10.1, and then to jaguar, and then to panther...the next update if it is small should still be a version of os x

but if there are a LOT of new features in it, that's a good point to bring it forward and call it os 11

my guess is that we will have an os 10.4 announced late next year and maybe a 10.5 that will keep us through 2005, and after that it should be high time for the os 11...right around the time we may be itching for a 6 ghz G6:D