PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth to pay 350 us to see keynote live?

Capitanmerloc
Jan 11, 2008, 07:13 AM
Hi everyone,

I have used this site since at least 2 years or more and read many of your comments during this time.. this is my first post as I never had a question that was unanswered by someone else!

Now is the time... I will be in San Francisco for holidays... arriving on the 14th night. I thought it could be a good idea to see keynote live and have a look at the new products... then I saw the price for the simplest ticket...

As I'm there with my girlfriend I do not konw if a morning of Apple and 1.5 hours of Steve Jobs are worth 700 dollars... (350 x 2).

If any of you was there before... wel could you give me your reccomandation and advice...

I will be visiting the Apple shop in Cuppertino on the 17th to get some shopping done... that is planned already but the extra money to see Seve live... Well I'm not really sure I should go for it!

Thanks to you all and excellent job to the site owners!!!

Queso
Jan 11, 2008, 07:16 AM
Will they not be streaming it to the Apple Store in downtown SF? I know it's not strictly live, but it's a better option than $700 IMO.

AdeFowler
Jan 11, 2008, 07:19 AM
I suppose it's a once in a lifetime opportunity (kinda) but only you can decide if it's worth the $$'s.

Capitanmerloc
Jan 11, 2008, 07:23 AM
Well if there is a streaming in the apple store... for free... then I guess this is the end of the discussion... better to invest 700 us in the new macbook!!! THanks a lot!

Queso
Jan 11, 2008, 07:27 AM
Well if there is a streaming in the apple store... for free... then I guess this is the end of the discussion... better to invest 700 us in the new macbook!!! THanks a lot!
Ring ahead and check first. I'd hate for you to turn up and find it an invitation only event :eek:

dukebound85
Jan 11, 2008, 07:31 AM
I suppose it's a once in a lifetime opportunity (kinda) but only you can decide if it's worth the $$'s.

hells no it aint worth it!

now seeing the rockies in the world series was a once in a lifetime occurance! :)

NC MacGuy
Jan 11, 2008, 08:01 AM

You got that right!

yoppie
Jan 11, 2008, 08:18 AM
Use the $700 saved by not going to the keynote on the new Apple goodies. Watch the live stream at the Apple Store or do what I did last year --> read the live blog updates and view the keynote video when Apple posts it online.

chaos86
Jan 11, 2008, 08:48 AM
the only people that pay the $350 are the REAL fanboys and the press, who make way more than $350 back with their stories.

notjustjay
Jan 11, 2008, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I'd sooner spend that kinda money to be the first to own the brand-new iPods or iPhones or ultra-portable Mac or whatever they're announcing. Just watch the keynote stream at your leisure.

I've been to enough concerts and live events to be jaded enough to say that the "live" experience just ain't all that great.

GenesisST
Jan 11, 2008, 09:11 AM
Geez, this world is sick... Give it to some charity instead...

LeChuck
Jan 11, 2008, 09:52 AM
Man, save it for some concerts or sports games if you're into that. Who wants to spend that kind of money to see Steve Jobs monkey around on stage? It's not a soccer game. I didn't think anyone would be so interested in anything but the results. Just tell me what's coming out, when and for how much and let's get it over with :)

chaos86
Jan 11, 2008, 09:56 AM
Who wants to spend that kind of money to see Steve Jobs monkey around on stage? It's not a soccer game.

Lol. This is ironic to me, because as far as I'm concerned, 22 guys spending 90 minutes to only score zero to three times is a great example of monkeying around.

alpez
Jan 11, 2008, 10:08 AM
Invite your girlfriend to luxuary resort near you instead !

I've been there once, it was scary !

I love Mac's, but the people there belongs to some strange fanatic cult ...

/Tony

-----------------------
Tony Hansson
Cognitive Bokföring
http://www.ct.se/

t0mat0
Jan 11, 2008, 10:11 AM
Imagine -
in your left hand, you have two tickets to see Jobs speak for an hour
In the other hand, are 1-2 of what Jobs is going to be announcing. Be it a HDTV AppleTV, monitor, etc.

You can get a good feed 1 minute time lag from here.
Don't be a fool! (plus, someone might finally be doing a sneaky web tv stream - i'd check the usual suspects out).

Buran
Jan 11, 2008, 10:40 AM
Personally, I wouldn't. I didn't even want to spend that much to see Elton John live. But then, I got that ticket via the official fan club for under $100 (and got something like 6th row). For me to pay that kind of money to see some kind of live event it really would have to be something amazing, and even though most of us here are die-hard geeks, a corporate back-patting is not in that league. At least not to me.

I'd go if someone else paid, and there IS a sense of excitement from being in a crowd, especially among fellow die-hard fans (like at the concert, you know which song is the "key" to go up to the stage if you're far enough up front, and there's others where the audience always gets to do the refrain) but $300 is a lot of money.

The concert was a blast, by the way. Worth every penny.

Where's my actual limit for events like this? I'm guessing $150 for the concert and maybe $50 for the Apple event.

LeChuck
Jan 11, 2008, 10:44 AM
Lol. This is ironic to me, because as far as I'm concerned, 22 guys spending 90 minutes to only score zero to three times is a great example of monkeying around.

You'll have a hard time carrying that argument.

kingtj
Jan 11, 2008, 11:16 AM
I'm so NOT a sports fan, I can't imagine a bigger waste of MY money than paying out a huge amount to see some end-of-season "playoff" or "series" game.

It's obviously going to be viewable on TV, live, from any number of convenient locations, should I care enough to see it at all.

I have a problem spending $350 to see a Macworld Keynote too ... but if you consider it part of the whole "package" of also viewing all the vendor booths, talking with Mac developers, and attending some of the after-parties people always organize - it doesn't seem like such a "bad" investment anymore.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't have $350 lying around (plus airfare!) to head out to CA to see this event, and my employer doesn't even use Macs - so can't get them to pop for it as a work-related trip. But if I was in the area already and had the time to kill, I might consider $350 to take in the whole experience.

I agree with others who said the *smart* way to handle the Keynote is to do some sort of live blogging or feed back out to the net, or finding a way to get paid for a story write-up on it. Unlike a sporting event, you're viewing something that's not being telecast live, so that has some potential financial value for you. You just have to leverage it.

marks47
Jan 11, 2008, 04:52 PM
the only people that pay the $350 are the REAL fanboys and the press, who make way more than $350 back with their stories.

Ha. I've had press passes for his keynotes before. You think they pay? No way, man. Free free free.

When I went, I basically got a pass that got me into the same keynote and workshops that would have cost $1500.
I don't think press can get into those workshops quite as easily now, but still...

Granted, you have to have the qualifications, but it wasn't all that hard.

CWallace
Jan 11, 2008, 07:47 PM
I'd rather apply the $700 to own whatever cool thing Steve shows us then to see it a few hours early.

coolant113
Jan 11, 2008, 09:37 PM
man i would totally!!! go that is a Once In A Lifetime experience.. just the thrill of being there live!! is awesome and simply amazing!!! Man GOOO:apple::apple:

queshy
Jan 11, 2008, 09:50 PM
If I had the opportunity to I would definitely go.

Capitanmerloc
Jan 12, 2008, 02:56 AM
Geez, this world is sick... Give it to some charity instead...

I do that but loads more than a miserable 350 $... because the world is sick!

nexsta
Jan 12, 2008, 04:24 AM
where can i buy the tickets?

wongulous
Jan 12, 2008, 12:14 PM
I really hate Macworld for charging this much for tickets. Then, I don't know how many people they'd have to deal with if it only cost $20. Or, really, it should go to Charity. YOU COULD BUY AN OLPC WITH $400!!!

ArmyKnight12
Jan 12, 2008, 01:04 PM
No!

JML42691
Jan 12, 2008, 01:20 PM
Save the money and put it towards the new products. The keynote will probably be online a few hours to a day following the actual event, and there will be enough live blogs and such online (even here). So I would try one of those as I do not forsee the keynote being worth $700.

CVV1
Jan 12, 2008, 05:49 PM
Why is it so much in the first place???
Is it because alot of people want to go?
I'd pay $75 >____>

j26
Jan 12, 2008, 05:55 PM
Feck no!!

minik
Jan 12, 2008, 06:04 PM
In 2003, I went to MacWorld with an Exhibits only pass. However, when I first went to the show floor, they were showing the Steve Jobs' on-going Keynote on a big screen outside. It's kind of cool.

This time, I bought the $99 pass to watch the keynote.

covert
Jan 12, 2008, 06:42 PM
I think you have to think of it as a experience... something you do once or twice in your life if your a real apple fan... I saw the keynote in the last macworld in NYC and the opening of the Soho apple store... I had a press pass and it was fantastic... the mood of some of the press who got their passes for nothing was ho hum... where's the juice, the news, goods etc... most of them had seen this many times over... but for me it was fantastic, plus everything was laid on... In the 2007 Macworld I bought a pass and saw that keynote and it was still fantastic... but was a very different experience, but a great one all the same...

It's about the tension, the expectation, it's like a rock concert and all I can say is like jesus and the second coming when steve walks up on stage... and says his sermon to the faithful who lap it up...

I mean most of you americans are close to the action there, I had to come from the other side of the world to see it... so the money for us is a problem, but it's not like I can drive there or catch a short plane flight there...

If your into macs, and you want to see "steve", do it... **** it's a once in a lifetime thing, what's 350 dollars... or $700 x two ... and it's not like your going to do it year in year out... and if your coming from a long way away... thien it's not like you'II be back anytime soon... like some of the locals who have the luxury of choosing to go, or not to go...

doo-hik-ee
Jan 12, 2008, 06:46 PM

You said it best, man.

I'd do it if possible. I think it'd be a neat experience to attend a MacWorld.

NiteWaves77
Jan 13, 2008, 04:36 AM
Hi everyone,

I do not konw if a morning of Apple and 1.5 hours of Steve Jobs are worth 700 dollars... (350 x 2).

I guess that's you're answer right there, bubie.

aswitcher
Jan 13, 2008, 04:46 AM
I'd rather apply the $700 to own whatever cool thing Steve shows us then to see it a few hours early.

Agreed. Unless you can claim it for business/tax its way to expensive.

Merkuryy
Jan 13, 2008, 04:56 AM
Save your money for the "Air". But if it's really a one lifetime chance, I will definitely go to see the keynote

PowerFullMac
Jan 13, 2008, 05:04 AM
It depends, is it just to see the Keynote then no but if its more then yes.

thegman1234
Jan 13, 2008, 12:25 PM
If there's a live stream at the SF Apple store then that is much more sensible. Save the money, wait until you come home, then take your GF to a hockey game lol.

Seriously though, I'm sure it's tempting because you're going to be IN San Fran. Obviously for people like me (I live in NY so it's completely out of the question lol) who aren't going to even be near the place, it's an easy no.

But even though you may never get this opportunity again, I don't see it as one of those things that you HAVE to do at least once anyway. Save the money dude.

IJ Reilly
Jan 13, 2008, 12:30 PM

The media do not pay $350. Qualified media get in free, and sit up front besides.

It's only really worth $350 if you stay several days and also go to some of the workshops.

olternaut
Jan 13, 2008, 04:45 PM
Wait now!! Will Apple be streaming the keynote live to the Apple stores for real?? What about the Apple stores in NY??
Please tell me this will be because I will be sure to steal time from work to get to one of the stores to watch the keynote.

eliotschreiner
Jan 13, 2008, 05:03 PM
Geez, does a superbowl ticket even cost $350?

I do want to go to macworld sometime in my life, hopefully to see the keynote, but $350? Dang, dude.

doo-hik-ee
Jan 13, 2008, 05:52 PM
See Steve Jobs and attend MacWorld.

Or get this thing: http://www.appointments.com/stafencir350.html

Your choice.

MacSamurai
Jan 13, 2008, 06:49 PM
The media do not pay $350. Qualified media get in free, and sit up front besides.

It's only really worth $350 if you stay several days and also go to some of the workshops.
yep think about it this way,media=free publicity.So why would they need to pay?

IJ Reilly
Jan 13, 2008, 07:16 PM

I do want to go to macworld sometime in my life, hopefully to see the keynote, but $350? Dang, dude.

It doesn't. The lowest price registration which includes the keynote is "Mac Lab" registration, which includes the keynote, a floor pass, and other sessions at $199.

yep think about it this way,media=free publicity.So why would they need to pay?

They don't. They also get good seats. I miss my media pass.

JML42691
Jan 13, 2008, 08:14 PM
I wish, I'd pay $350 to watch the Pats win ring #4 in a heartbeat, but add another zero on the end to get the price of a superbowl ticket after they sell out in a few minutes.

GradientMac
Jan 13, 2008, 08:44 PM
Guys, the reason it's so expensive is so they can control the amount of people who storm into the place. Otherwise it could just cause problems. It's expensive so that it's not over crowded and if they're selling anything it's not sold out in five minutes.

I would pay.

:apple:

Masquerade
Jan 13, 2008, 09:16 PM
Will they not be streaming it to the Apple Store in downtown SF? I know it's not strictly live, but it's a better option than $700 IMO.

better stay at an apple store and give the $700 to a charity propose, you won't see jobs, but you and your girlfriend will feel great.

koloo
Jan 14, 2008, 11:26 AM
Dude, i'd say ditch ur g/f at hotel and go to the Keynote urself. In this way, u can save 350 and get experience once a life time.
Really, dude. trust me.

IJ Reilly
Jan 14, 2008, 11:33 AM
Dude, it doesn't cost $350. Trust me.