PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Reinstall Jaguar

utilizer
Oct 10, 2003, 10:14 AM
I'm pretty much fed up with 10.2.8 and lost an external firewire HD and now GoLive is constantly quiting on me, so I want to "downgrade" to 10.2.6 but need to reinstall the original Jaguar off my CD.

A few things are different from when I did this last year:
1. My internal CD bay device in my Pismo is gone; it refuses to read any CDs.
2. To remedy this, I purchased a LaCie d2, on the notion that it is bootable.

I insert the system CD in and then it gives me the message that I need to restart to begin the installation process...fine I say, everything is normal. Upon restart, the "Apple" icon shows but then a "circle with a cross" pops up and I have to force restart.
I hit option like some of you said for me to do earlier on, and lo and behold, TWO CDs pop up for my Jag CD to boot up with. I clicked on the alternate one and that one just goes into a kernel panic stating that I need to restart and boot with my main HD in order to start the computer.

Am I out of luck in installing updates for this machine or do I just need to hope that once Panther gets here I can actually install it through my firewire d2 later this month???

Mattnh
Oct 11, 2003, 07:39 AM
Since the update of the new 10.2.8 i have serieus firewire issues. To check if it was the external HDs or the G4 I hooked it up to an different G4 and it works fine there. Never had problems with the Firewire HDs before.
It just doesn't mount. And when it does it falls of the desktop after a few minutes with a warning to follow. Help? mattnh@zonnet.nl

utilizer
Oct 11, 2003, 11:13 AM
I had to rip my system disk using Disk Copy to make another one. Granted, I needed my old and defective in buring Iomega Predator to do this along with my LaCie d2 burner.
I just made it the bootable kind and then hoped and crossed my fingers when inserting the CD in the d2.
It worked and now I'm back to 10.2.0!!
Now I anxiously await for Panther's arrivial!

Mattnh
Oct 11, 2003, 11:20 AM
So I reverted to 10.2.6. Backing up the whole works and go over with the whole installation mess. Just finished... Hope this will do the job. Seems 10.2.8 is kind of cursed... I'll be testing this week. We'll see. Later! Panther sounds also cooler than Jaguar ;)

applemacdude
Oct 11, 2003, 05:45 PM
If you need jag disks ill sell them to you cheap (45 dollars obo) email me at accrcboy@aol.com