PDA

View Full Version : "MacBook Air" Whispers...

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jan 11, 2008, 04:51 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

I've heard various whispers about the new thin MacBook. Here are a few additional tidbits and confirmations about what might be coming from Apple on Tuesday.

- A slim notebook, but not a "sub notebook"
- 13.3" screen
- Not a "Pro" machine
- External Optical Drive
- It will be called the MacBook Air

A reminder, though, that Apple has been known to seed people with false specs/designs, so these whispers may not be accurate... but we believe they are.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/06/thin-macbook-specs/)

Eidorian
Jan 11, 2008, 04:53 PM
What does this mean for the regular MacBook then? Is it going to be another model or a replacement?

Sky Blue
Jan 11, 2008, 04:54 PM
Sounds like a shoe.

Brianstorm91
Jan 11, 2008, 04:54 PM
But the current MacBook is 13.3" and not a Pro model :confused:

I call fake.

xUKHCx
Jan 11, 2008, 04:55 PM
Leads nicely on from "There's Something in the Air" (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=412600).

If you ask me it is not a very good name.

Sbrocket
Jan 11, 2008, 04:55 PM
Interesting name, corroborates with the poster that came out earlier.

It also, obviously, fits with what's sure to be a very light product. Get it? Something in the air? Hah, I bet we can all tell who was the brainchild behind this...

elppa
Jan 11, 2008, 04:56 PM
Intriguing.

Maybe the “Air” branding is taking a que from the sucess of one of Apple's international partners, O2.

It's certainly something different from the obvious nano/mini/thin branding that people are expecting.

Bern
Jan 11, 2008, 05:01 PM
Maybe Apple's poster actually says more but we can't see the bottom?

Something like: "There's something in the air... blow it out your ass Microsoft" :p

aswitcher
Jan 11, 2008, 05:01 PM
I am starting to think we will see both a Macbook and a MBP "lite" versions...that would really rock and force me to make a difficult decision about which one to get.

13.3" MB
12" MBP touch

adhesiv
Jan 11, 2008, 05:15 PM
like i submitted and you ignored completely...they are of the aluminum build which would make it appear to be on the PRO side. Why would they build something identical to the current macbook???

dukishdary
Jan 11, 2008, 05:15 PM
i highly highly doubt they are calling it the "macbook air." that's borderline laughable. i am willing to bet the phase "there's something in the air" is referring to the soon to be announced rental service, not a piece of hardware. apple is making an obvious attempt to eliminate physical mediums altogether, first cds with mp3s and now dvds with downloadable vids (both via the itunes music store). everything will be available "in the air" or "up in the cloud," if you will. i'll be damned if they name their next product the "macbook air." c'mon people...

MistaBungle
Jan 11, 2008, 05:16 PM
There's something in the air...

planes shipping iPhones to Canada?

aswitcher
Jan 11, 2008, 05:17 PM
like i submitted and you ignored completely...they are of the aluminum build which would make it appear to be on the PRO side. Why would they build something identical to the current macbook???

Because its not going to be identical.

Neither will have built in superdrive, but will have the same external model.

Pro machine will have additional stuff like backlit keyboard, FW800, graphics card. Probably be even smaller and lighter. Maybe have a touch screen.

They will be quite clearly different and $ differences as well.

iDAG
Jan 11, 2008, 05:19 PM
I would love a Mac like that if it was the same price as the current MacBooks.

Sbrocket
Jan 11, 2008, 05:20 PM
i highly highly doubt they are calling it the "macbook air." that's borderline laughable. i am willing to bet the phase "there's something in the air" is referring to the soon to be announced rental service, not a piece of hardware. apple is making an obvious attempt to eliminate physical mediums altogether, first cds with mp3s and now dvds with downloadable vids (both via the itunes music store). everything will be available "in the air" or "up in the cloud," if you will. i'll be damned if they name their next product the "macbook air." c'mon people...

You may want to retract that...

Why do you assume that the information was based off the posters, rather than simple coincidence or MR waiting for some corroboration? That's a bad assumption if I had to say so.

bdj21ya
Jan 11, 2008, 05:23 PM
I think the "Air" more likely refers to over the air rentals.

elppa
Jan 11, 2008, 05:29 PM

Just like the "professional" iPods are all aluminium, and the "professional" iMac, not to mention the "professional" iPhone.

Apple is going Alumium across the product line, for environmental reasons. The MacBooks will be the last plastic Macs made.

Also, anyone who has paid any attention during physics will know that if you want to make a laptop thinner than the current MacBook, then plastic just won't cut it for build quality. You'll need a stronger material to get the strength.

adhesiv
Jan 11, 2008, 05:31 PM

Pro machine will have additional stuff like backlit keyboard, FW800, graphics card. Probably be even smaller and lighter. Maybe have a touch screen.

Sorry aswitcher i wasn't referring to your post but to the initial post. While my findings, i won't go into details on that but it's related to private advertising, show the new model is based on the aluminum build which would suggest PRO affiliation. i don't think they'd blur the line between PRO and non-PRO by releasing a product that has the PRO build but is not in the PRO line. that would only hurt the brand identity of both and confuse consumers. this holds true regardless of external optical or not. current design technology should be able to shoehorn a higher class video card and firewire 800 into a smaller form factor, especially with apple's prowess in this field.

MacBoobsPro
Jan 11, 2008, 05:38 PM
Every Keynote people look WAY too much into Apple's advertising and come up with all these crazy ideas. MacBook Air :eek: Wow its made out of 100% oxygen and is invisible, has 16 cores, 4 BluRay drives, 2 HD drives and Windows Vista Pre-installed on a Bootcamp partition.

Every time people come away disappointed because they overhyped it themselves.

Apples advertising is done by a marketing company like anyone elses. Some of the adverts are good, some are not. There are no super secret cryptic clues. Its always quite obvious but no one sees it. There may be a little lateral thinking involved but if no one gets what they are promoting then no one will buy the products.

"There's something in the air" clearly means there's something in the air. It's either a PowerBook G5 that runs on unleaded fuel or something to do with wireless content streaming.

adhesiv
Jan 11, 2008, 05:38 PM

Just like the "professional" iPods are all aluminium, and the "professional" iMac, not to mention the "professional" iPhone.

Apple is going Alumium across the product line, for environmental reasons. The MacBooks will be the last plastic Macs made.

Also, anyone who has paid any attention during physics will know that if you want to make a laptop thinner than the current MacBook, then plastic just won't cut it for build quality. You'll need a stronger material to get the strength.

while your argument is valid, those lines never had a PRO vs. non-PRO line like the notebook segment does. While it is possible that they may go aluminum across the board (makes sense with the aluminum features of the iphone and imac) they still need a way to differentiate their PRO line other than name badging and integrated graphics. this also doesn't take into effect the added cost of the aluminum materials that would cause a non-PRO line increase in cost. so i think this might debunk an all aluminum line.

btw, not everyone had to take physics.

ZrSiO4-Zircon
Jan 11, 2008, 05:55 PM
I really don't think Apple will come out with external optical drives... That is just too... complicated. Personally, and I think alot of people will agree, if you're going to have a small computer device, you don't want to carry another piece of equipment with you everywhere you go.
What's more believable (to me anyway) is the sub-notebook that syncs kind of like the iPod through iTunes.
Maybe iSync will handle that kind of syncing with what I have in mind?
I'm no fortune teller :p

bdj21ya
Jan 11, 2008, 05:58 PM
I really don't think Apple will come out with external optical drives... That is just too... complicated.

First time I've seen USB called complicated :).

I see what you mean from a design standpoint though, inelegant might be a better word. But it just makes too much sense not to do it. I hardly EVER use my optical drive. Why am I carrying it everywhere I go?

aswitcher
Jan 11, 2008, 05:58 PM
I really don't think Apple will come out with external optical drives... That is just too... complicated.

<Sarcasm> Yeah...makes the development of the iPhone look easy... </Sarcasm>

I see what you mean from a design standpoint though, inelegant might be a better word. But it just makes too much sense not to do it. I hardly EVER use my optical drive. Why am I carrying it everywhere I go?

Actually I REALLY hopes its both USB and FW. FW will allow me to toss my OS disk in and force my disk driveless Mac to boot from it in FW mode.

while your argument is valid, those lines never had a PRO vs. non-PRO line like the notebook segment does. While it is possible that they may go aluminum across the board (makes sense with the aluminum features of the iphone and imac) they still need a way to differentiate their PRO line other than name badging and integrated graphics. this also doesn't take into effect the added cost of the aluminum materials that would cause a non-PRO line increase in cost. so i think this might debunk an all aluminum line.

Differences will be like they do now:
Name/Badging
Pro has real graphics card
Screen size
Physical size (this time with Pro being smaller)
Pro has backlit keyboard
Pro is faster

New differences I see even through the all Alu design:
Pro is smaller
Pro has FW800 and maybe HDMI
Pro has a touch screen or a touch trackpad
Pro has no keyboard but a massive touch pad - although thats got big issues
Pro has more memory

And they could even do coloured alu (aka iPod like) for MBs and neked Alu for Pro machines

Project
Jan 11, 2008, 06:04 PM
i highly highly doubt they are calling it the "macbook air." that's borderline laughable.

I said the same thing about the rumours of the Powerbook becoming the "MacBook Pro"

sminman
Jan 11, 2008, 06:10 PM
I don't see the benefit of a MacBook Slim.

Can someone pursued me or tell me why it would be better then just having a MacBook?

ZrSiO4-Zircon
Jan 11, 2008, 06:12 PM

Point taken.
But still, I just don't think an external optical drive is a good idea. Reminds me of the days when I used those external CD drives where I had to put the CD in a cartridge before putting it in the drive...
I think the point I'm trying to make is that it makes it too complicated to the end user, having an accessory that's optional but a necessity at the same time.

netdog
Jan 11, 2008, 06:16 PM
I don't think we are even close in either of these threads. I suspect that 10.5.2 and/or the iPhone SDK are going to contain some huge surprises. Perhaps included in that are some of the Leopard "secret features" that were promised a year ago but took more time than expected.

DMann
Jan 11, 2008, 06:47 PM
I don't think we are even close in either of these threads. I suspect that 10.5.2 and/or the iPhone SDK are going to contain some huge surprises. Perhaps included in that are some of the Leopard "secret features" that were promised a year ago but took more time than expected.

Now, this would be fabulous!

gazfocus
Jan 11, 2008, 06:47 PM
I think the comments about aluminium being too expensive, etc, are rediculous.

Apple use Aluminium in the new iMacs and those prices didn't increase. Also as has been said before, Aluminium is more environmentally friendly, and there is currently alot of pressure on Apple to be "greener".

I think it is possible to gave an all aluminium line up whilst still having a clear divide between consumer and pro products. Pro products always have higher specs, more BTO options, and larder screens/higher resolutions.

Personally, if Apple come up with an Aluminium Macbook, I'll certainly be buying one to use as well as my new Macbook pro (regardless of whether it has a built in optical drive or not), although, I'm not convinced the removal of the optical drive would be featured in the consumer line up.

mcbane666
Jan 11, 2008, 06:57 PM
Ok here is What I think is coming to MAcworld

New MacBooks with a high level option of a pre pro

a Tablet with a 7 inch screen that has enough power to run OSX, and Video
Probly use a HDD out of the Ipod Classic, Big Feature is Back to my Mac and Screen Sharing. This will give it tons of power as its a portal to you bigger machine.

Back to my mac on the Iphone/Ipod touch

Blu ray

New Airtunes with support for N

Apple Radio deck for your Car that wirelessly connect to your home network and reloads when in the Driveway

And a Home Network System Like a mini Server for Media.

Don't for get a New Mighty mouse for those Keyboards with touch features

CWallace
Jan 11, 2008, 07:04 PM
AppleMatters believes a new MacBook - not MacBook Pro - will be announced at MWSF.

So this could be it, if true.

http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/the-definitive-matrix-of-macworld-08-predictions-and-rumors/

BornAgainMac
Jan 11, 2008, 07:07 PM
I am still hoping the laptop is a tablet. Whenever I replay the Keynote about the secret features, I think those features were just not implemented in Leopard. The iphone was the secret hardware feature.

NC MacGuy
Jan 11, 2008, 07:14 PM
I certainly hope they do in fact introduce a new thin MB - MBP. If not, his would be the second MW in a row with a huge letdown for computer users mobile or otherwise. Getting tired of itunes content crap, iphone (& in europe....), buggy leopard, appletv - junk. I want a NEW LAPTOP to replace my departed PB12". MB's too heavy, MBP's too big. The poor mini, ignored. MacPro, MB, MBP, even Imac incremental updates - I need a new computer. I HATE my MB and can't wait to dump it on someone else. If MW '08 is a hypefest for new overpriced movie rentals I will cry and stomp my feet and hold my breath - and then buy a Sony or Asus laptop.

dongmin
Jan 11, 2008, 07:38 PM
AppleMatters believes a new MacBook - not MacBook Pro - will be announced at MWSF.

So this could be it, if true.

http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/the-definitive-matrix-of-macworld-08-predictions-and-rumors/

they also think the macbook's gonna have a super drive standard across the line, so they're obviously not talking about the same thing

CWallace
Jan 11, 2008, 07:43 PM
they also think the macbook's gonna have a super drive standard across the line, so they're obviously not talking about the same thing

Considering how inexpensive DVD burners are now, it probably costs Apple more to stock non-burners (for builds and AppleCare) in addition to burners then just moving purely to burners, so that would support a move to SuperDrives across the board.

Peace
Jan 11, 2008, 07:52 PM
I'm sorry but I don't believe the Macbook Air at all..Sounds too weird.

As I've said in other threads it'll be the Macbook "lite" or Macbook "Light"

arn
Jan 11, 2008, 07:55 PM
added a line to the article...

"- It will be called the MacBook Air"

arn

iDAG
Jan 11, 2008, 07:57 PM

arn

Maybe it would be called the AirMac. That would be an interesting name instead of the MacBook Air.

CRAZYBUBBA
Jan 11, 2008, 07:59 PM

arn

worst-name-ever. i hope that it's anything but "macbook air"

arn
Jan 11, 2008, 08:01 PM
Maybe it would be called the AirMac. That would be an interesting name instead of the MacBook Air.

AirMac is actually the name of an Apple product in Japan. I believe its just an Airport

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirMac

arn

iDAG
Jan 11, 2008, 08:07 PM
AirMac is actually the name of an Apple product in Japan. I believe its just an Airport

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirMac

arn

LOL then IDK what to call a Mac with Air :) Maybe it just has a ton of fans in it so everyone can stop whining about how hot there notebook is. :cool:

ncbill
Jan 11, 2008, 08:17 PM
13" screen means you can only shave about a pound off the Macbook's current weight - so a 4lb, not 3lb. notebook.

If the above is true, then I guess this is not a macbook lite, but a macbook pro lite, so I'd expect starting price of $1999.

fanboy
Jan 11, 2008, 08:30 PM
13" screen means you can only shave about a pound off the Macbook's current weight - so a 4lb, not 3lb. notebook.

If the above is true, then I guess this is not a macbook lite, but a macbook pro lite, so I'd expect starting price of $1999.

They might be able to make it lighter with a smaller enclosure, no hd, no optical drive, and a smaller battery. But, yeah, probably closer to 4lbs than 3lbs.

djejrejk
Jan 11, 2008, 08:36 PM
If this notebook has no optical drive and no cables (as 9 to 5 mac suggests), how will customers hook up the optical drive? How will they reload/upgrade os x?

This is not very thought out.

w8ing4intelmacs
Jan 11, 2008, 08:36 PM
As the Mac community eagerly awaits for a MacBook Touch, it seems to me that a MacBook Air based on the MacBook would be a yawner.

maybe later in the year they will debut the MacBook Air Pro :) :D

bigmc6000
Jan 11, 2008, 08:39 PM

Can someone pursued me or tell me why it would be better then just having a MacBook?

Benefit? I would buy one! :) Honestly tho - I don't want a 15" laptop. I'm on a 12" PB and my sister has a 15". While it's cool and looks awesome it's huge (relatively speaking). One of the biggest things I find is portability. I can sit on a plane, have my laptop out and there's still plenty of room for a drink, it's great. I really wouldn't mind having an external optical drive as I use one about once or twice a month. It'd be fine to just shove it in the bag and have it with you if you need it. Actually, I would prefer that over it eating space in my laptop. So is that convincing enough?

1 thing tho - it has to come with the external drive STANDARD. I'm not paying extra for it - that'd just be really really annoying.

rockthecasbah
Jan 11, 2008, 08:40 PM
I don't buy it from just the name alone. I really hope Apple releases a subcompact MacBook Pro, external optical drive and all that good stuff. We don't need this new MacBook regular nonsense.

aswitcher
Jan 11, 2008, 08:42 PM
Ok, its looking good to me. I might have buyers remorse when the pro touch version appears but thats likely to be quite expensive and a Rev A with some expensive very new bits that I can probably do without.

icloud
Jan 11, 2008, 09:00 PM
worst-name-ever. i hope that it's anything but "macbook air"

Agreed. It's not just a bad name; it's a sin!

daneoni
Jan 11, 2008, 09:04 PM
The only reason i can see it being called Air is because its all wireless....i.e. it connects to its Docking station wirelessly via Ultrawideband wireless USB (which would also connect the External Optical), Wi-Fi, Bluetooth etc

I still call BS though.

Kedrik
Jan 11, 2008, 09:04 PM
I had, or rather still have in a closet, a powerbook 100. It had an external floppy drive and I did carry it around with me, kind of defeating the purpose of the smaller form factor in the first place, so I bought my wife the powerbook 145 which had the floppy onboard. I guess we're now beyond wondering how to get things on the computer without the drive, but it would make sense for a driveless mac to have some super wireless connectivity options? Perhaps connectivity with the home mac in a "go to my pc" kind of way. Apple does own the "go to my mac" domain name. Just a thought.

NAG
Jan 11, 2008, 09:10 PM
Frankly I think the name is better than Airport EXTREME!!!!oneoneone On top of that they named the "lite" version Express (another word that starts with "e"). Ick.

iJawn108
Jan 11, 2008, 09:11 PM
Aperture 2.0 via iTunes... or maybe it just reefers to iPhone/iPod Touch apps.

Or maybe it referes to a notebook that doesnt have a replaceable battery, though the new macbooks will be used as frisbees.

bketchum
Jan 11, 2008, 09:22 PM
I like the name. It grabs my imagination immediately. Light as air. The Macworld banner says, “2008. There’s something in the air.” Perhaps the tag is subtly suggesting something new inside the MacBook air - that being a flash drive.

paulyras
Jan 11, 2008, 09:29 PM

Ever used Windows 98? :D

davidia
Jan 11, 2008, 09:32 PM
This Air theme is very plausible. We have AirPort, AirTunes etc. Now we will have more products that will come together via AirPort. Any new products will now have the Air connections. This could be a combination of 802.11x or Bluetooth protocols depending on the level of connectivity required. iPods, iPhones and eventually MacBooks and Macs and even monitors will have no physical connections. We probably won't see this in the laptops or desktops until 802.11 gets up towards USB2.0 speeds. However iPhones and iPods can go without dock connectors sooner as we only sync smaller amounts of data. The size of these devices can then continue to get smaller and look better without the connector which is looking too big on iPod nanos.

So I think something in the air could be this new direction towards complete wirelessness in Apple products. We may see the sub notebook or tablet be the first to have very limited or no non-wireless connectivity. You may need to have an AirPort to sync and transfer data from your desktop.

The idea of a new "DuoDock" with an iMac form factor does appeal to me, but I think what we will see is that the new sub or tablet can sit beside your Desktop or remain in its pouch on a shelf and still sync and be ready with all the data you need for when you next hit the road. No need to plug anything in.

Clubbernox
Jan 11, 2008, 09:36 PM
what if this slim macbook had a touch pad keyboard? that would be one way to make it smaller

kungming2
Jan 11, 2008, 09:38 PM
I actually like the name. Anyone else? :D

eddietr
Jan 11, 2008, 09:40 PM
what if this slim macbook had a touch pad keyboard? that would be one way to make it smaller

That would be interesting.

The one thing miss about my old thinkpad is the eraser mouse thing in the middle of the keyboard.

Not that the eraser head is that great of a pointing device, it's just that not having to move your hands from typing to moving to typing to moving is really convenient.

They could achieve the same by just merging the keyboard and trackpad together.

kungming2
Jan 11, 2008, 09:42 PM
Not that the eraser head is that great of a pointing device, it's just that not having to move your hands from typing to moving to typing to moving is really convenient.

They could achieve the same by just merging the keyboard and trackpad together.

Seeing how many people complained about the new keyboards, a touch keyboard would generate even more flamed passions...

eddietr
Jan 11, 2008, 09:44 PM
Seeing how many people complained about the new keyboards, a touch keyboard would generate even more flamed passions...

True.

But I actually loved the keyboard when I used it. So much so that I bought one for my MP.

noodle654
Jan 11, 2008, 09:46 PM
If that is the real name I will be shocked. It is horrible.

CF Fighter
Jan 11, 2008, 10:11 PM
I'm gathering either Macbook Light or Macbook Air from these rumors because immediately "Light as Air" comes to mind. I have not used a CD or Floppy for my data needs in a couple of years because I now rely on USB Flash drives and with SDHC cards now getting into the under 100 USD range (gathered from newegg.com prices) for 16 GB of storage just makes so much more sense to me.

BillyShears
Jan 11, 2008, 10:12 PM
The only reason i can see it being called Air is because its all wireless....i.e. it connects to its Docking station wirelessly via Ultrawideband wireless USB (which would also connect the External Optical), Wi-Fi, Bluetooth etc

I still call BS though.

Would be interesting. You have your "docking station", complete with super drive, hooked up to your external monitor and keyboard/mouse. So you only have to put your MacBook Air in the vicinity of the docking station (say, sit it on the table), and it switches over.

The problems I see are:

You still have to charge the thing, so why not make the docking station the charger?
Since you have to put the MacBook down somewhere, why not on the docking station/charger?

ecoons
Jan 11, 2008, 10:15 PM
I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but after looking at http://www.ecoupled.com/
I can't help but think that Apple could come up with a user-friendly way of implementing this sort of technology. I personally think its only a matter of time before ALL chords are "cut". You set your iPod on your desk, it charges through inductive currents, your headphones do the same and communicate with your iPod through bluetooth (or some other wireless medium)...etc. And your computer, also, has no wires. Electricity is passed to it in the same sort of way. Now, wouldn't that be cool :)

"There's something in the air"

Maybe its just wishful thinking ;)

[Note: After being a long time READER of Mac Rumors, I have officially made my first post.]

Macula
Jan 11, 2008, 10:28 PM
In colloquial modern Greek, "air" is metaphorically a price premium one pays for hype.

Sinister.

paulyras
Jan 11, 2008, 10:36 PM
I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but after looking at http://www.ecoupled.com/
I can't help but think that Apple could come up with a user-friendly way of implementing this sort of technology. I personally think its only a matter of time before ALL chords are "cut". You set your iPod on your desk, it charges through inductive currents, your headphones do the same and communicate with your iPod through bluetooth (or some other wireless medium)...etc. And your computer, also, has no wires. Electricity is passed to it in the same sort of way. Now, wouldn't that be cool :)

"There's something in the air"

Maybe its just wishful thinking ;)

[Note: After being a long time READER of Mac Rumors, I have officially made my first post.]

Dude, my toothbrush does that. Seriously. It's the sonicare advanced. It's nice. I wholeheartedly endorse that except for one problem...

Electromagnetic fields decrease with the cube of the distance (I think- might be square, but someone smarter than I can correct me). You would need to keep the charger within a few inches while charging. Frankly, if I'm going to carry a charger with me when I travel, I really don't care if it's plugged in directly or just has to be really close.

If, by chance the field is strong enough to work from any significant distance, you couldn't convince me to keep it anywhere near my lap. There are some irreplacable goods down there (and I aint talking about a laptop).

NAG
Jan 11, 2008, 10:41 PM
Seeing as how we don't know the specs of the machine let alone the price point, no, no one will be able to tell you the benefits of this product.

ernestc
Jan 11, 2008, 10:42 PM

Something like: "There's something in the air... blow it out your ass Microsoft" :p

haha

ecoons
Jan 11, 2008, 10:43 PM
Electromagnetic fields decrease with the cube of the distance (I think- might be square, but someone smarter than I can correct me). You would need to keep the charger within a few inches while charging. Frankly, if I'm going to carry a charger with me when I travel, I really don't care if it's plugged in directly or just has to be really close.

What if there was a universal (yikes, what IS truly universal nowadays) way of transmitting electrical power, where your physical desk-top, kitchen counter, tray tables in airplanes, glove boxes (or cup holders for phones), nightstand in a hotel room, etc could charge your electronic gadgets just when you set them on the surface. That would mean they would be "just a few inches away" or less. There's no need to be charging devices 100% of the time, but as long as you can set them down on a "recharging surface" when they get low, then you have a cordless charging system.

tMac85
Jan 11, 2008, 11:06 PM

hahahahahahha

nostaws
Jan 11, 2008, 11:22 PM
If this notebook has no optical drive and no cables (as 9 to 5 mac suggests), how will customers hook up the optical drive? How will they reload/upgrade os x?

How about 10.5 on a flash drive? or a 4 gig sd card. Prices are cheap enough now. (not that I think they really will, but just floating an idea). and can't time machine work over airport?

But just for convenience, there has to be a port of some sort usb, firewire, etc.

I read that induction charging stuff. Wow, if that was the case, and it was functional, that would be cool.

I am looking for something revolutionary this time around. A la ipod, or iphone, a new product, more than just a "mini laptop."

Cocoy
Jan 11, 2008, 11:26 PM

well... based on people dreaming of flash-based drives, small form factor, powerful machine... it seems to me everyone who seem to want one at the end of the day really want 2 very different devices.

1) a notebook in the macbook form factor but with a dedicated video card or at the least an integrated video card that does great performance. this is what most people would settle for if apple ever makes one. Call it nostalgia for the 12" PB, maybe. powerful but very mobile. call it the MB for pros is what people want.

the absence of an optical drive wouldn't be the end of the world. who uses them still in this day and age where everything from dmgs to photos to music to video to presentation are all on the internet?

2) i think the sweet spot really is that people want something like an ultramobile machine that they can take on the go. that they can use for work stuff--- presentation, maybe run some office app. it's got to be mixed with a bit of personal stuff--- video, pictures, music and of course browse the web. it's that space above the iphone/ipod touch and below an mb. call a machine that is not just a phone, not just an ipod but more computer than the iphone and ipod touch are.

Can the iphone/ipod touch do this now? yeah. i think with the sdk coming out it will really open the gate. because APPs is what's really missing. People want to do /more/ with the iphone/ipod touch. they want an Ultramobile Mac.

personally, if Apple was going to make a subnote--- i'd rather they try for number 2.

if Apple is going to make a new laptop, i hope they do something innovative like have an MB, but "do away" with the traditional keyboard and mouse. it would be the same form factor with a display and the spot where the keyboard is, but instead of a keyboard and trackpad... that space is a multi-touch or a user interface that can be reconfigured on the fly for whatever app that's active. (doesn't apple have a patent pending for tactile-multi-touch response?)

Using Word for example? the "multitouch pad" pops out a keyboard. Doing photoshop and you get an interface similar to a wacom tablet that you can draw on. For a lack of better analogy, something right out of Star Trek's reconfigurable user interfaces. it would certainly go with the whole "air" theme. draw interfaces from the air just like magic.

My guess is that "Air" will be something more towards greater reliance on cloud computing.

pedidoc
Jan 11, 2008, 11:28 PM
Its a hydrogen fuel-cell powered notebook!

aswitcher
Jan 11, 2008, 11:30 PM
Agreed. It's not just a bad name; it's a sin!

How about MacBook Zephyr
MacBook Breeze
MacBook Frizbee

BabyFaceMagee
Jan 11, 2008, 11:30 PM
There are several companies that have been working on various ways to provide power without cords "the holy grail" being the eventual elimination of power cords for all sorts of computers, applicances etc.

My guess is that they will have a 'basic' version of this workable for a low power mac laptop that can be powered in a room with a wireless power transmitter doing away with the need for a power cord. As long as you are within range, similar to a wireless signal, the mac air will be able to charge and receive power wirelessly.

You heard it hear first.

BFM

Sbrocket
Jan 11, 2008, 11:34 PM
How about MacBook Zephyr
MacBook Breeze
MacBook Frizbee

Now those REALLY sound bad. Air isn't so bad, this is just the typical reaction people get after a release of..."Oh man, this is the end of the world...the name sucks, where's this feature we made up, why doesn't it solve world hunger, I hate the design."

Maybe people will learn to lower their expectations a little, hype stuff less, and be pleasantly surprised when the next big thing comes out that actually meets reasonable expectations without discouraging you by not meeting unreasonable ones. (That wasn't to you specifically, by the way, just a general statement.)

Edit: I thought about it again...MacBook FRIZBEE? You know what you do with a Frizbee, no? Plus, most frizbees are thicker than even a MBP.

NAG
Jan 11, 2008, 11:53 PM
Eh, people always have weird unusual expectations from the keynotes. They wouldn't be happy if Apple invented personal teleportation devices because first, it isn't a mac and everyone knows that Apple lost their soul when they stopped making just computers, and second it doesn't let you travel through time so you can't pretend to be Dr. Who.

Maldini
Jan 12, 2008, 12:04 AM

Exactly, it doesn't make any sense.

kungming2
Jan 12, 2008, 12:09 AM
Exactly, it doesn't make any sense.

There's a lot of demand for a notebook that would be smaller and lighter. In fact, I had a friend who thought that even the MacBook was too small and he wanted something similar to the Toshiba R500. People have a point there - 4 pounds is a lot for some people who get sore shoulders easily...

Though everything beats lugging a heavy PC around.. The Dells they sell here at Princeton U. are atrociously heavy - but it's all good, as it makes the PC users even more jealous of the 66% of the student body that DOES use Macs. :D:p

BabyFaceMagee
Jan 12, 2008, 12:31 AM
Here is some info on the wireless power adaptor technlogy I mentioned previously that I believe will be incorporated into a new low power mac that does not ever need to be plugged in. There are two trains of thought. One is that it will be set atop a wireless power pad that will conduct the electricity a mere inch or two to 'charge' or power the mac without any cable or outside connectors and the other which has been demonstrated by a few other companies including involves electricity being sent through the air similar to a wireless signal, except the laptop actually charges without any wires at all - cordless electricity as it were.

Here's some links to some past posts discussing the technlogy.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/02/16/rumors-docking-and-charging-by-induction/

http://www.louisgray.com/live/2007/02/its-time-to-make-power-wireless-and.html

Finally, a company called Powercast at www.powercastco.com demonstrated this wireless power transfer not too long ago by lighting a bulb up with absolutely no wires. Pretty cool and inevitable if you ask me.

This is what I'm guessing will be the hot new product - the MacAir - no cords. Power without wires.

BFM

dongmin
Jan 12, 2008, 12:42 AM
Here is some info on the wireless power adaptor technlogy I mentioned previously that I believe will be incorporated into a new low power mac that does not ever need to be plugged in. There are two trains of thought. One is that it will be set atop a wireless power pad that will conduct the electricity a mere inch or two to 'charge' or power the mac without any cable or outside connectors and the other which has been demonstrated by a few other companies including involves electricity being sent through the air similar to a wireless signal, except the laptop actually charges without any wires at all - cordless electricity as it were.

Here's some links to some past posts discussing the technlogy.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/02/16/rumors-docking-and-charging-by-induction/

http://www.louisgray.com/live/2007/02/its-time-to-make-power-wireless-and.html

Finally, a company called Powercast at www.powercastco.com demonstrated this wireless power transfer not too long ago by lighting a bulb up with absolutely no wires. Pretty cool and inevitable if you ask me.

This is what I'm guessing will be the hot new product - the MacAir - no cords. Power without wires.

BFMApple has some patents that deal with induction-based charging for your i-gadgets:

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/15/patent-wireless-iphone-charging-station/

There's also wireless firewire that stirred a lot of discussion three years ago:

http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20040511S0001

siurpeeman
Jan 12, 2008, 12:45 AM
i think you guys are all missing the big picture. "smell in the air"? obviously, mac os x is bringing smell-o-vision (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smell-o-vision)! that's right, you heard it here first. :)

BWhaler
Jan 12, 2008, 12:45 AM
This is the dumbest fabrication of all time.

Existing Rumor + Sign = Macbook Air

So, so stupid.

showtunes
Jan 12, 2008, 12:47 AM
Everyone,

Let's just keep it simple. Here are the two things that are in the air:

1. WIMAX type wireless for MacBook Pros
2. The ability to sync your iPod and iPhone without a cable

mrjain
Jan 12, 2008, 12:47 AM

I'm crying right now, that was funny as hell.

mrj

- - -
http://celestri.org

tomsk
Jan 12, 2008, 12:57 AM
Try this...

Jobs described the Apple TV as his 'hobby' - Not a clever choice of words at the time the analysts thought...

Now take the outgoing Mac Mini, repackage and upgrade, dice it up with the Airport Extreme (with built in bb modem this time - please), add a little Apple TV '2', leave on gas mark 7 for 2 hours...

Total over the 'air' internal network with media storage and streaming capability and it's time to enter the full-on home multimedia market. Plus as a little bonus, movie and tv show rentals - watchable on your mac, itouch, iphone etc...

Actually, what the hell... They make Back to my Mac actually work and let you watch them on the road too ;-)
:p

Astral Cars
Jan 12, 2008, 01:57 AM
There are a lot of interesting possibilities here.

The most obvious meaning of "air" is just some new movie rental iTunes service. Boring.

There is also some sort of possibility that it's related to AppleTV and iPhones or something and now we can wirelessly stream movies from an iPhones to a TV and maybe there's additional possibilities involving the phone.

The most interesting is that of an actually wireless laptop. The notion isn't too absurd and maybe I just have to think about it longer to come up with a solution. But in a way it goes against the elegance that Apple strives for. On one hand your laptop is not connected to anything, but on the other you probably end up with a giant dongle that connects to your outlet and has some USB ports etc. If they can come up with a way to make that look elegant I think it's a possibility. I don't know much about wireless power, but I do know that in general it's an extremely inefficient means of transmitting power.

Anyway, I would love to see some sort of wireless laptop, but I'd be pretty surprised if we did.

hyddan
Jan 12, 2008, 02:05 AM

Aluminum is much harder to recycle than plastic, so no, it isn't any better for the environment.

1000masks
Jan 12, 2008, 03:02 AM
Im hoping for something out the box from Apple this year. Hopefully something with the touch input and lightweight. Even though I just performed surgery on my 12in Powerbook and replaced the hard drive it would be nice for something new. I dont think it will be called anything "Air" but who knows.

cbrain
Jan 12, 2008, 03:05 AM
I'm not that keen on the name "MacBook Air" personally.

Snips
Jan 12, 2008, 04:23 AM
I think 'air' would have been capitalised on the banner if it was a reference to a product name. Then again, maybe the product name will be lower case, for font 'coolness'.

I think the spec at the start of this thread would describe a MacBook update. It seems a natural progression that future MacBooks will be Alu cased. Isn't Steve already on the record as saying all Apple products are moving to Alu (& glass)?

Interestingly, that same spec doesn't say whether the so-called 'MacBook Air' has a hard drive - being flash-based would be a differentiator from a standard MacBook line-up, as I think there's still a market for a high-capacity MacBook product, as well as a lower capacity 'thin', or whatever, portable.

Other than that, I think 'something in the air' has to imply something wireless, rather than 'over the network'. I very much doubt it's wireless power though.

My bet would be a comprehensive wireless network play:

A range of [already updated] desktops and [to be updated / announced] MacBook/s for home-use, with [to be updated] Apple TV as the entertainment hub.

[s/w updated] iPhone + [to be updated / announced] laptops for when out and about. You also get to access your Apple TV from your iPhone via SlingShot, and maybe some cool 'back to my Mac' features via a new iPhone app too? Actually, I think 'back to my Mac' via iPhone could be central here.

Father Jack
Jan 12, 2008, 04:27 AM

Now that would be cool .. :cool:

Sbrocket
Jan 12, 2008, 04:33 AM
Geez, everyone looks over the simplest and most obvious interpretation to speculate on services that no one has seen proof for. Wimax and all this other stuff is reaching...why are you trying so hard? The MacBook Air is called such because, anyone? Bueller? Bueller?, it is so thin and light. Get it? There's something in the air...the new product? All this is reading way too much into it. I've seen stuff from analyzing the typeface to find the hidden meaning to Apple changing its logo (what??) to Wimax service built in <insert product here> to...you get the picture. Stop reading too much into it.

aswitcher
Jan 12, 2008, 04:39 AM
Maybe its MacBook Heir...

garethh
Jan 12, 2008, 05:38 AM
it is so thin and light.

This makes sense due to its simplicity. If there is a MacBook Air, this will be the most likely rationale for the name.

Of course, there could be other reasons, but air suggests lightness and importantly here freedom of movement. I find the current MacBook heavy. A friend was seriously considering buying one, until he picked it up! If mobility is important, like it is for me, a lighter Mac would be great.

thesdx
Jan 12, 2008, 05:39 AM
I think "MacBook Air" sounds kinda cool, but not like something Apple would name a notebook. Who knows? It could be actually called this. Everyone was doubting the images of the fat Nano, thinking it couldn't possibly be true, and it came true. It could happen again.

koobcamuk
Jan 12, 2008, 05:47 AM
Intriguing.

Maybe the “Air” branding is taking a que from the sucess of one of Apple's international partners, O2.

More like Nike, surely? :P

sagasaga
Jan 12, 2008, 05:48 AM
Something more than it being light. If I had to guess, I bet the fully-connected theme from the iphone will be moved to a new subnotebook line. 3g everywhere, instantly, built into the notebook. The more portable the device, the more internet-everywhere makes sense. Also fits into the 'something in the air' bit more than just being a light weight device. Nothing new as many manufacturers sell add-on cards to existing notebooks, but I bet it will be a core feature of the device. Ties well into some of Leopard's remote access features, too.

wireless technology just isn't there for wireless power or wireless monitors; *maybe* wireless speakers, but that's getting a little iffy as a big add.

maybe the touchpad will actually be an lcd screen like an iphone; that could be interesting for multitouch.

sagasaga

macmike47
Jan 12, 2008, 06:04 AM
I don't think it's going to happen. Yet.

But I imagine one day it will. We already have wireless internet/networking. Wireless USB is certainly on its way. Wireless power as a concept is feasible. When we all have bluetooth headphones, that will eliminate need for any physical connector at all. A truly wireless MacBook. :D

danbirchall
Jan 12, 2008, 07:09 AM
Aluminum is much harder to recycle than plastic

Say what? It may have a higher melting point than plastic, but it's the most recyclable material out there. Plastic often can't even be used in the same application multiple times, and ends up being "downcycled" into something completely different. Wikipedia says recycling aluminum is 95% more efficient than making it from ore; recycling plastic is only 70% more efficient than making it new.

Squire
Jan 12, 2008, 07:26 AM
I actually like the name. Anyone else? :D

Yeah! Me, too. People better get used to it. If I recall correctly, MacRumors is pretty accurate when publishing rumors from their own sources.

-Squire

ojwk
Jan 12, 2008, 07:29 AM
People here seem to want to condone ANY decision Apple may wish to make. Already people seem to be defensive on the "MacBook Air" name which is probably just a rumor and also seem to be defensive of Apple's decision to remove the optical drive - something we don't even know will happen! People are defensive of Apple's decision to ship the new Mac Pros with the 8800GT and not something of higher spec, people are defensive of Apple's decision not to release a mid-tower.

I'm a big Apple fan myself but sometimes I do see the point many anti-Mac people make that many Apple 'fanboys' will simply defend any decision Apple may or may not make! It doesn't show loyalty or devotion to the brand but a sheep like quality that really isn't desirable.

If you can't formulate your own opinions on stuff then that really doesn't corroborate with the Apple marketing and ethos. "Think Different" etc..

Say what? It may have a higher melting point than plastic, but it's the most recyclable material out there. Plastic often can't even be used in the same application multiple times, and ends up being "downcycled" into something completely different. Wikipedia says recycling aluminum is 95% more efficient than making it from ore; recycling plastic is only 70% more efficient than making it new.

Very good point.

Plastic is incredibly hard to recycle as there are many different types that need to be sorted and lots of those can't even be recycled. An example of this is the caps on plastic bottles of Coke etc. This material cannot be recycled - at least my local refuse authority refuses to deal with it.

Aluminum on the other hand is definitely one of the most recyclable materials out there. It is a simple process of melting it down, purification and formation into ingots of aluminum.

poguemahone
Jan 12, 2008, 07:45 AM
Hi

As much as I want to see a Apple home server coupled with a few Terra to hold our ever increasing amounts of crap and Apple TV to boot...I don't think I will see it...

but is this maybe the AIR angle

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/19/ipod-or-iphone-media-remote-control/

Pog Out

Digitalclips
Jan 12, 2008, 07:51 AM

I agree, I can't remember the last time I used a disk in my laptops, I even install using ADR. Also, one day soon even USB won't be needed, some kind of dedicated wi-fi could be used for an Apple Optical drive I suspect.

scotpole
Jan 12, 2008, 07:59 AM
How about
Apple iTunes and the apple store are available everywhere through the air.

Like .Mac your mac is automatically backed up so if you lose it, your files and account still exist at Apple, because through the air, they have been backed up. I mean we can trust Apple with our info right?

To get new software you get it through the air. You connect to Apple and download it to the appropriate device the way you currently buy a song and your credit card is billed.

All devices can transfer data through a high speed bluetooth, so you can backup at home to a DVD or a Hard Drive.(this one is a compilation of ideas already expressed in this thread).

Stella
Jan 12, 2008, 08:07 AM
If this machine is truly is what the rumour suggests then what is the point?

A thinner MacBook that doesn't have any CD drives?

There has got to be some information that is missing.

Cool name though!

BillyShears
Jan 12, 2008, 08:17 AM
People here seem to want to condone ANY decision Apple may wish to make. Already people seem to be defensive on the "MacBook Air" name which is probably just a rumor and also seem to be defensive of Apple's decision to remove the optical drive - something we don't even know will happen! People are defensive of Apple's decision to ship the new Mac Pros with the 8800GT and not something of higher spec, people are defensive of Apple's decision not to release a mid-tower.

I don't see how the external optical drive falls into the category of things to be "defended." The others, sure, because you don't have the choice of the name, the graphics card, or mid-tower. But so far the rumours suggest the external optical drive is optional (as in, buy a MacBook or MacBook Pro with built-in drive - this isn't across the product line). What I see are people hoping for a feature: a lighter notebook.

ojwk
Jan 12, 2008, 08:22 AM
I don't see how the external optical drive falls into the category of things to be "defended." The others, sure, because you don't have the choice of the name, the graphics card, or mid-tower. But so far the rumours suggest the external optical drive is optional (as in, buy a MacBook or MacBook Pro with built-in drive - this isn't across the product line). What I see are people hoping for a feature: a lighter notebook.

What I'm saying is that people are condoning Apple's decision to have an optional external optical drive just like everything else despite Apple from suggesting nothing of the sort. My point is that people will condone any decision Apple makes for no good reason.

base08
Jan 12, 2008, 08:24 AM
Take a look at this:

http://flickr.com/photos/peteryan/2187596838/

Personaly i think it's fake, because of the non-capital letter on the begining of the second sentence... but who knows it could be true the disposition of the this so called macbook air is quite original and not in the tradicional way laptop upside down opened a little...

FrenchMac
Jan 12, 2008, 08:28 AM
The most obvious reason behind the name MacBook Air for me is the removal of the wired Ethernet connector to the MacBook. There is two thing that prevent from making a very slim notebook: an optical drive and an ethernet connector (look at the ethernet connector on a MacBook, it take most of the height of the notebook).

So the MacBook Air would be the first Apple notebook having only a wireless connection...

And I agree that it will be made of aluminium...

FrenchMac

deathstar
Jan 12, 2008, 08:55 AM
There has got to be some information that is missing.

yes, why "air" and not "light" or "lite"?

mkaake
Jan 12, 2008, 08:55 AM
I had, or rather still have in a closet, a powerbook 100. It had an external floppy drive and I did carry it around with me, kind of defeating the purpose of the smaller form factor in the first place, so I bought my wife the powerbook 145 which had the floppy onboard. I guess we're now beyond wondering how to get things on the computer without the drive, but it would make sense for a driveless mac to have some super wireless connectivity options? Perhaps connectivity with the home mac in a "go to my pc" kind of way. Apple does own the "go to my mac" domain name. Just a thought.

Having not read through 5 pages, I don't know if this has been addressed yet, but there's a lot of people talking like this (that I've heard) - but there's a big difference between now and then (I remember those days too :) ) - Back then, the floppy was your main method for moving data from one place to another. Today, your options for moving data from one machine to another are pretty huge - you can use a USB thumb drive (which is the biggest reason, IMHO, that it's finally okay to think about external disc drives again on laptops - I've used the disc drive on my lappy about 2 times since I got it 2 years ago), you can email yourself data, etc.

The times you would like to have it around would most likely be for software (either expensive software still distributed on physical media), or watching movies (or ripping new music). And while it would certainly be a pain to walk in to a store (or coffee shop, or whatever), buy a new CD, and not be able to rip it until you get near your optical drive again, I think Apple is okay with that, as they want your primary means of obtaining music / movies / media in general to be the iTMS.

So I see this as plausible. What's more, I expect other manufacturers will follow suit, and within 2-3 years, most laptops (costing more than $600, and not the desktop replacement bricks) will have external drives.

woddy
Jan 12, 2008, 09:07 AM
i think there may be a umts / hsdpa powered macbook for the out off office use.
:cool:

PowerFullMac
Jan 12, 2008, 09:07 AM
I think that "Air" is a good name and it really could be the name, think of the iPhone, no one thought that would be the actual name, but it is was and is! So we shall see in a few days...

And the reason its not "Lite" or "Light" is because they have been used a million times, and Apple thinks different :)

Lepton
Jan 12, 2008, 09:27 AM
Subtract keyboard. Add multi-touch and WiMax. Thin as an iPhone.

PowerFullMac
Jan 12, 2008, 09:56 AM
Subtract keyboard. Add multi-touch and WiMax. Thin as an iPhone.

Nope, more powerfull with real OS X.

Surely
Jan 12, 2008, 10:09 AM
I think that "Air" is a good name and it really could be the name, think of the iPhone, no one thought that would be the actual name, but it is was and is! So we shall see in a few days...

And the reason its not "Lite" or "Light" is because they have been used a million times, and Apple thinks different :)

Really? I guess they've never heard of Nike before then.

People thought the iPhone would be called the iPhone for years.

I think that they should go with 'MacBook Pump' instead. The Reebok Pumps were so cool. Pump it up!

http://www.flytip.com/blogs/sneaker_culture/archives/images/alife_pump.jpg

lorductape
Jan 12, 2008, 10:19 AM
if you look at the codenames for many products, and I'm talking about way back to the apple II days, air seems more like a codename for a product than the product name itself. Maybe they will announce something like they did with the "iTV" and refer to it by its codename, because they don't have a name yet and it's not even out for official release yet.

lorductape
Jan 12, 2008, 10:20 AM
Take a look at this:

Personaly i think it's fake, because of the non-capital letter on the begining of the second sentence... but who knows it could be true the disposition of the this so called macbook air is quite original and not in the tradicional way laptop upside down opened a little...

they got the font wrong.

PowerFullMac
Jan 12, 2008, 10:25 AM
Really? I guess they've never heard of Nike before then.

People thought the iPhone would be called the iPhone for years.

I think that they should go with 'MacBook Pump' instead. The Reebok Pumps were so cool. Pump it up!

http://www.flytip.com/blogs/sneaker_culture/archives/images/alife_pump.jpg

Cisco already used the name "iPhone", but that never stopped the almighty Apple!

Surely
Jan 12, 2008, 10:27 AM
if you look at the codenames for many products, and I'm talking about way back to the apple II days, air seems more like a codename for a product than the product name itself. Maybe they will announce something like they did with the "iTV" and refer to it by its codename, because they don't have a name yet and it's not even out for official release yet.

Stop making sense. It's not welcome here.

You need to be more fanboy-ish. :D

notsofatjames
Jan 12, 2008, 10:38 AM
I'm all for a completely wireless macbook, no matter what its called. I've always wondered why apple has never come up with a dock style thing for macbooks anyway. I'd be happy with one plug, which charged, and connected my mac to every other peripheral that i use. If that dock also had a wireless part that allowed me to connect to it on my home wireless network, it would just make things a whole lot more pleasant.

elcid
Jan 12, 2008, 10:42 AM
Apple doesnt seem to mess around with naming too much. iPhone. iPod Touch. MacBook Pro.

MacBook Air? I agree with whoever said it sounds like a shoe. No way is it an actual Apple name.

socamx
Jan 12, 2008, 10:46 AM
Take a look at this:

It looks exactly like the 15 inch Macbook Pro. You can clearly make out the cd drive, the IR port for the remote and the button to release the screen.

d70
Jan 12, 2008, 10:51 AM
The name Air will collide with Adobe AIR ... couldn't they have chosen a better name like nano and ****? damn it. now every time I search for Adobe AIR I'll get Macbook in the search results.

ILL Robinson
Jan 12, 2008, 10:55 AM
The most obvious reason behind the name MacBook Air for me is the removal of the wired Ethernet connector to the MacBook. There is two thing that prevent from making a very slim notebook: an optical drive and an ethernet connector (look at the ethernet connector on a MacBook, it take most of the height of the notebook).

So the MacBook Air would be the first Apple notebook having only a wireless connection...

FrenchMac

Name or no, I completely agree with this. If the word "Air" isn't part of a product (and given the ad hook, it most likely is) expect Jobs to repeatedly use "Air" throughout the keynote.

All aside, we should start a thread where people can boast if their Mac product speculations were correct or admit they were flat out wrong.

kungming2
Jan 12, 2008, 10:57 AM
I think 'air' would have been capitalised on the banner if it was a reference to a product name.

It might not be capitalized: Check it out, iPod touch, nano, and classic. All lowercase.

Squire
Jan 12, 2008, 10:57 AM
People here seem to want to condone ANY decision Apple may wish to make. Already people seem to be defensive on the "MacBook Air" name which is probably just a rumor and also seem to be defensive of Apple's decision to remove the optical drive - something we don't even know will happen!

Keep in mind the fact that this is a rumor site. People are expressing their opinions on things Apple is rumored to be doing. With respect to the name, the "MacBook Air" moniker was suggested by what the site administrators feel is a reliable source. As I mentioned previously, I don't mind the name. And, no, I'm not just saying that because I'm an Apple fan. (I did/do not like the name MacBook, for instance. It took some time to get used to. I still prefer iBook and PowerBook.)

With respect to the rumored removal of the optical drive, someone in another post put it best: Why should I have to carry around my (internal) optical drive now when I rarely use it? For a primary computer, it's pretty much essential. As a second computer with portability being a primary feature, I say get rid of it.

Again, I'm commenting on what Apple is rumored to do because, well, this particular thread relates to a rumor.

-Squire

P.S. I know where you're coming from in relation to people defending Apple's every move, even when it's unfair to the consumer. Sometimes that happens. This, however, isn't one of those cases in my opinion.

Kedrik
Jan 12, 2008, 11:14 AM
I figured out the secret air message!

What falls out of the air? ... Apple (s)

Who do they fall on? ... Newton!

It's the new Newton :apple:

I'd bet nothing on it!

The Flan Bandit
Jan 12, 2008, 11:21 AM

FrenchMac

This sounds right to me about the Ethernet port, and possibly the also-large modem port being gone as well, but I bet there will be some way (a base station thinger or a USB device of some kind) that allows you to use Ethernet if you need to. How else would you set up an Airport with it?

I wonder if people will start calling it an "Air"? As in, "I'm using my Air to check all my emails from dudes pretending to be women on myspace." I'm not sure that sounds so good to me, but I like the name otherwise.

Also, I thought for sure they were going to call the iPod Touch the "airPod." Maybe they were reading my posts. Probably not, though.

MBX
Jan 12, 2008, 11:22 AM

riiiiiiiigght...

zioxide
Jan 12, 2008, 11:28 AM
are you kidding me?

Macbook Air?

WORST NAME EVER

There's no way Apple would ever call something that.

Chris Bangle
Jan 12, 2008, 11:31 AM

Who do they fall on? ... Newton!

It's the new Newton :apple:

I'd bet nothing on it!

thats quite clever actually... remember apples first logo.

thesdx
Jan 12, 2008, 11:32 AM
You never know. The same thing happened with the fat Nano rumor:

There's not even a tiny chance that Apple would release something that daft.

Brianstorm91
Jan 12, 2008, 11:34 AM
Look here (http://www.adiumx.com/sparkle/?forceShow%5B%5D=model), 9to5mac has this on their front page.
Scroll down to "model" - "MacBookAir"

Squire
Jan 12, 2008, 11:35 AM
From 9to5Mac:

EDIT: Commenter Jon Cotton (below) found Adium usage stats page that lists a machine model type as "MacBook Air". While not definitive proof, it does add a big fat log to the fire.

I don't know how much attention this should be given. Anyone know anything about the ability to fake model types on an Adium usage stats page?

-Squire

[edit: Brianstorm beat me to it by a few seconds.]

PowerFullMac
Jan 12, 2008, 11:35 AM
You never know. The same thing happened with the fat Nano rumor:

True! People can spectulate all they like, but no one knows what Apple are planning! The "daft" Nano rocks! And so will this MacBook Air if it comes out, Apple NEVER fails to amaze! :D

_iCeb0x_
Jan 12, 2008, 11:36 AM

Sorry, you're wrong. Apples fall out of a tree.

Sir Isaac Newton was sitting under the tree and the damn Apple hit his head.

kristapsz
Jan 12, 2008, 11:42 AM
The google cache for adium usage stats page: http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:-KC3ZK_6EgEJ:www.adiumx.com/sparkle/%3FforceShow%255B%255D%3Dmodel+macbookair&hl=en&strip=1
It was retrieved on 9.jan and it already contained Macbook Air entry, few days before the rumors came.
Basically the name Macbook Air seems to be real. Only thing is what stands behind that name. :)

Brianstorm91
Jan 12, 2008, 11:46 AM
Apple's patented induction charging/data transfer technology (http://hrmpf.com/wordpress/113/iphone-itablet-dock-inductive-charging).

PowerFullMac
Jan 12, 2008, 11:54 AM
The google cache for adium usage stats page: http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:-KC3ZK_6EgEJ:www.adiumx.com/sparkle/%3FforceShow%255B%255D%3Dmodel+macbookair&hl=en&strip=1
It was retrieved on 9.jan and it already contained Macbook Air entry, few days before the rumors came.
Basically the name Macbook Air seems to be real. Only thing is what stands behind that name. :)

So definatly a new MacBook, then! And im guessing thinner as well (because of previous rumors and logic)... Woo! Sorry, got carried away there :D

ajhill
Jan 12, 2008, 11:55 AM

Ya gotta love that Aussi sense of humor! Bravo!

Postal
Jan 12, 2008, 12:07 PM
are you kidding me?

Macbook Air?

WORST NAME EVER

You've pretty much guaranteed that MacBook air is the name.

Any time someone says "there's no way Apple would ever call it <insert widely rumored name here>," Apple promptly named it as such.

It goes by a variant on the same rule which guarantees anything suggested by MOSR will never come true.

Santa Rosa
Jan 12, 2008, 12:08 PM
Interesting name, corroborates with the poster that came out earlier.

It also, obviously, fits with what's sure to be a very light product. Get it? Something in the air? Hah, I bet we can all tell who was the brainchild behind this...

Exactly why I dont think its going to be called the Macbook Air. Sounds like some sort of computer flatulence problem. "Yea got Macbook Air at the moment, hopefully the AppleCare will fix it"

cbrain
Jan 12, 2008, 12:12 PM
are you kidding me?

Macbook Air?

WORST NAME EVER

I agree, I think it will be called the "AirBook".

PowerFullMac
Jan 12, 2008, 12:22 PM
I agree, I think it will be called the "AirBook".

And you feel so strongly about that you put it in your signature... :D

czeluff
Jan 12, 2008, 12:25 PM
I think the "Air" more likely refers to over the air rentals.

Bingo! This guy nailed it. Apple maintains a professional naming scheme for all of their machines. "Macbook Air" is NOT one of them.

Based on the current specs listed, here's what consumers would choose between (and this is why those specs are wrong):

Macbook: 13.3", ~$1100, Optical Drive.
Macbook Air: 13.3, ~$1500, No Optical Drive.

Sounds like a pretty dumb decision to me. I'll take the cheaper one ANY DAY.

That-Is-Bull
Jan 12, 2008, 12:36 PM

Because it's too small for any power but it's too big for your pocket. Win-win.

Project
Jan 12, 2008, 12:38 PM

Great detective work.

ILL Robinson
Jan 12, 2008, 12:44 PM
*deleted*

mjstew33
Jan 12, 2008, 12:49 PM
All of you saying MacBook Air is such a bad name, remember when the MacBook pro was announced? Everyone HATED the name.

heh.

(i'm not saying i support the name, i'm just throwing this out there)

PowerFullMac
Jan 12, 2008, 12:50 PM
Just thinking... Perhaps the MacBook Air IS the tablet Mac!

bmx433
Jan 12, 2008, 12:56 PM
for me, this would go into the "who cares" column. i don't need another notebook no matter how thin it is. what i need is a sub notebook. i don't believe a thinner notebook would garner all of this much attention. not a big enough deal. not the apple style. MacBook Air. i have to say no way.

i'll go out on a limb and say the "air" has something to do with a new wireless network to replace the stupid EDGE network.

GKThursday
Jan 12, 2008, 01:00 PM
<Sarcasm>
Actually I REALLY hopes its both USB and FW. FW will allow me to toss my OS disk in and force my disk driveless Mac to boot from it in FW mode.

Why not place a FW port where the optical drive is now (i.e. on the right) and then make a super thin optical drive that has a fold out FW plug. No cords to mess with, just fold out and plug in.
If they wanted, they could even add a small display on top of it that could display a single widget.

maybe they would even make a PRO and non-PRO version, PRO having multitouch in the display.

Just thinking out loud. . .
~Thursday

PowerFullMac
Jan 12, 2008, 01:02 PM
for me, this would go into the "who cares" column. i don't need another notebook no matter how thin it is. what i need is a sub notebook. i don't believe a thinner notebook would garner all of this much attention. not a big enough deal. not the apple style. MacBook Air. i have to say no way.

i'll go out on a limb and say the "air" has something to do with a new wireless network to replace the stupid EDGE network.

Maybe its not just thinner, maybe its got some special feautre(s)! Or maybe it has a multi-touch display!

MacinDoc
Jan 12, 2008, 01:10 PM
Why do some posters have problems with a consumer notebook having an Alu finish? Is the iMac not a consumer product?

kungming2
Jan 12, 2008, 01:15 PM
Why do some posters have problems with a consumer notebook having an Alu finish? Is the iMac not a consumer product?

People will always have problems with whatever Apple does.

ecoons
Jan 12, 2008, 01:20 PM
I don't know if anyone has said this one yet, but... Lets say you are using a Mac Mini for your media center, well the FrontRow remote is very limited in terms of what it can DO and if you take a look at how FrontRow plays DVDs vs the Leopard DVD Player, you will see that the player is a MUCH better interface.......when using a mouse. But sitting at the couch with a mouse is pretty impractical. So how could they have a mouse when you are at your couch?

Think Wii. What if they managed to have a similarly small remote with the same 5 functions but you could use it to point at the screen as if using a mouse. THEN I could also see surfing the web on your HDTV with your wireless keyboard and new remote to be much more of a breeze (pun intended). Maybe a new AppleTV is in the air?

floatingspirit
Jan 12, 2008, 01:36 PM
................... I hardly EVER use my optical drive. Why am I carrying it everywhere I go?

Here, here! Though I use the optical drive plenty at home or in the office, I have never carried my laptop to a place with the intention of using or playing a cd or dvd. I would love the option to have a slimmed down macbook. In fact, I might carry it around even more just because it's that much easier to do.

Peace
Jan 12, 2008, 01:39 PM
I've taken trips before where I used the superdrive to burn stuff to.

iToaster
Jan 12, 2008, 01:48 PM
I'm pretty sure Lord Steve is sitting back with a cup of coffee reading all this and laughing.

Eric Lewis
Jan 12, 2008, 02:12 PM
MacBook Air
(exclusive Specs)

Has 0 Ports (just power)

Connects to "new wireless device almost like airport express..which to that you can hook up...."

dvd/cd burner
usb ports for iPods/iPhones etc
printers etc

Has slim hard drive

6-8hours battery

Wild-Bill
Jan 12, 2008, 02:17 PM
"Macbook Air" is an awful, awful name.

PowerFullMac
Jan 12, 2008, 02:21 PM
I think Front Row itself is a bit crippled... I cant even play music in the main menu or when I watch a photo slideshow, exept that default crap!

takao
Jan 12, 2008, 02:33 PM
thinking back how many people called the iPod, mac mini and macbook name stupid it's very likely already confirmed

on the other side it would be much more logical to refer to wimax or other such features

CRAZYBUBBA
Jan 12, 2008, 02:40 PM
thinking back how many people called the iPod, mac mini and macbook name stupid it's very likely already confirmed

on the other side it would be much more logical to refer to wimax or other such features

I love the 'i' idea its like saying 'my' mymac=imac, etc

the macbook however is a name that pales in comparision to the powerbook.

inmyname
Jan 12, 2008, 02:45 PM
..maybe the product they produce will be iphone/ipod touch size and technology with a SEPARATE folding bluetooth keyboard. Then suddenly that recent docking station patent becomes relevant. Want something portable?.. take the macbook nano out of your pocket and play with it. Want to do a little typing? take the bluetooth keyboard out of the other pocket, unfold it and get to it. Want to use a DVD burner, firewire stuff, USB , printer, ethernet etc etc etc? Plug the nano into the hub and oh look!.. You get a big 20" screen incorporated into the hub too!

Is it far off science fiction fantasy? Not really. I have a palm TX on which I carry multimedia on, has my schedule, task lists, mail, pdfs, etc etc. Connects to a fold out (iGo) bluetooth keyboard and lets me efficiently wordprocess when I want that functionality, runs about 7 hours between recharging, has SD/MMC expansion, wifi, ir blah blah blah..

Its technology that is a couple of years old I'm sure.. apple must surely have caught up by now, right?:D

ntrigue
Jan 12, 2008, 03:00 PM
Why did everyone jump to the conclusion that its offical name is "MacBook Air"?

What is air-like about a small tablet laptop? This is obviously a proliferation on the 'world without wires' concept...

iTunes Rentals ... snatch them out of the thin air to your new AppleTV is much more logical.

nimbuscloud
Jan 12, 2008, 03:11 PM
iTunes Rentals ... snatch them out of the thin air to your new AppleTV is much more logical.

No it's not. The AppleTV already has wireless capabilities. If iTunes Rentals is launched, it'd be common sense for it to also be able to be used wirelessly.

Think Different, sheesh.

:apple:

NAG
Jan 12, 2008, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I doubt they would be referencing already released products.

Kedrik
Jan 12, 2008, 04:01 PM
Macbook Air just leaves too many possibilities for...

Macbook Error,

Just think of the press on the first glitch. Yikes.

OttawaGuy
Jan 12, 2008, 04:12 PM
Perhaps AIR is an acronym?
Apple I______ R______ :)

aswitcher
Jan 12, 2008, 04:14 PM
MacBook Air
(exclusive Specs)

Has 0 Ports (just power)

Connects to "new wireless device almost like airport express..which to that you can hook up...."

dvd/cd burner
printers etc

Has slim hard drive

6-8hours battery

I cant use a device that doesn't have USB so when away from my desk I can use thumbdrives, external drives, ethernet connections, fw for timemachine when I am traveling. So for me whilst a dock may help allot my ideal machine needs a few ports else its going to be much less useful.

At a minimum I need
Power, USB, Ethernet, audio in/out.
Ideally I want
FW 400, DVI (mini or full),
And really
FW800, SATA

PowerFullMac
Jan 12, 2008, 04:16 PM

Interesting... Very interesting... Apple InfaRed... Apple Internet Reader... Apple Instruction Ripper...

aswitcher
Jan 12, 2008, 04:16 PM

Apple Is Righteous
Apple Internet Remote

iToaster
Jan 12, 2008, 04:18 PM

Apple's Inconceivable Riddle. :rolleyes:

NAG
Jan 12, 2008, 04:26 PM
Air is real

chicagostars
Jan 12, 2008, 04:37 PM
These whispers seem to have possible validity. I feel that people waiting for a slim MacBook Pro may come away from MacWorld disappointed. A thin machine doesn't seem like it will fit the bill for many pro customers who are often using their MacBook Pros as desktop replacements, but may be great for another market: non-creative professionals, many of whom would like something along the lines of a successor to the 12" Powerbook. (Rumors of an aluminum enclosure don't mean all that much as Apple is going toward aluminum enclosures in more and more of their product lines, regardless the price point or 'pro' image. iPod Shuffle anyone?)

Let's enjoy the show!

utgerger
Jan 12, 2008, 04:38 PM
just because they used Air in their banner doesn't mean its called MacBook Air.. Apple is not stupid.. its all about slim and light..

I'll be the one who'll tell you "I told you so" ;) .. enjoy the show!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4732961&postcount=94

or this..

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4733969&postcount=100

:apple:MacBook Lite:apple:
Feb 2008

NAG
Jan 12, 2008, 04:41 PM
just because they used Air in their banner doesn't mean its called MacBook Air.. Apple is not stupid.. its all about slim and light..

or this..

Feb 2008

Not Found

The requested URL /showpost...1&postcount=94 was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

You told us so? ;)

mongoos150
Jan 12, 2008, 04:57 PM
Every Keynote people look WAY too much into Apple's advertising and come up with all these crazy ideas. MacBook Air :eek: Wow its made out of 100% oxygen and is invisible, has 16 cores, 4 BluRay drives, 2 HD drives and Windows Vista Pre-installed on a Bootcamp partition.

Every time people come away disappointed because they overhyped it themselves.

Apples advertising is done by a marketing company like anyone elses. Some of the adverts are good, some are not. There are no super secret cryptic clues. Its always quite obvious but no one sees it. There may be a little lateral thinking involved but if no one gets what they are promoting then no one will buy the products.

"There's something in the air" clearly means there's something in the air. It's either a PowerBook G5 that runs on unleaded fuel or something to do with wireless content streaming.

+100

I'm sure it is something very mundane, like streaming movie rentals via iTunes.

chuckles:)
Jan 12, 2008, 05:01 PM
Apple would never call a computer a "macbook air".

its a stupid name that says nothing about the product.

NAG
Jan 12, 2008, 05:03 PM
Like the iPod nano or the Airport Extreme says what the product does.

bmx433
Jan 12, 2008, 05:04 PM

or this..

Feb 2008

that's a good point. i don't remember if they use key words in their teases. what was the tease for the ipod touch? did it have one and if so, was the word "touch" ever mentioned?

Maldini
Jan 12, 2008, 05:09 PM
+100

I'm sure it is something very mundane, like streaming movie rentals via iTunes.
I dont think they have all these huge banners for iTunes streaming, they probably mean there is something coming in 2008

utgerger
Jan 12, 2008, 05:09 PM
Not Found

The requested URL /showpost...1&postcount=94 was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

You told us so? ;)

I'm sorry, I didn't realize the links were broken..

Check now.. :)

zioxide
Jan 12, 2008, 05:10 PM
Whatever it is, it better not be 13.3''. That's too big, and definitely not an ultraportable.

12'' widescreen is the key.

NAG
Jan 12, 2008, 05:11 PM
I just want them to get the thickness and weight down.

fiftydollarshoe
Jan 12, 2008, 05:16 PM
that's a good point. i don't remember if they use key words in their teases. what was the tease for the ipod touch? did it have one and if so, was the word "touch" ever mentioned?

ohhhh my gawd............ every year there is someone who joins the forum telling us they have all the details for new products...... we all lap it up asking more and more questions..... in the end it proves to be incorrect..... step aside Mormons and Scientologists those who want to believe will believe.... anything....

diego
Jan 12, 2008, 05:20 PM
no one has mentioned that the font used in the banners is Myriad Pro Light instead of the typical Myriad Pro Semibold or Regular.. hmm

karmapolice63
Jan 12, 2008, 05:22 PM
is it just me or does it seem like apple is becoming the Wonka factory for computers?

aswitcher
Jan 12, 2008, 05:23 PM
AirMac
AirMacExtreme AirMacPro

Maybe

Surely
Jan 12, 2008, 05:25 PM
I just want them to get the thickness and weight down.

That's what she said.

Anyway....
All this speculation about the name of a hypothetical new sub-notebook- it's just not 'wow'. Usually at MW Apple announces some new, exciting product. I just don't see that 'wow' product being a new sub-notebook. I don't think that the over-analyzed banner is referring to a sub-notebook.

While they are probably going to announce a new sub-notebook, I think that something else will be the product (or service) with the 'wow' factor that Steve Jobs announces as the 'one more thing...' thing. And I don't think that it will be called Nike MacBook Air.

NAG
Jan 12, 2008, 05:26 PM
That's what she said.

Anyway....
All this speculation about the name of a hypothetical new sub-notebook- it's just not 'wow'. Usually at MW Apple announces some new, exciting product. I just don't see that 'wow' product being a new sub-notebook. I don't think that the over-analyzed banner is referring to a sub-notebook.

While they are probably going to announce a new sub-notebook, I think that something else will be the product (or service) with the 'wow' factor that Steve Jobs announces as the 'one more thing...' thing. And I don't think that it will be called Nike MacBook Air.

I was replying to zioxide, who only talked about screen size.

Surely
Jan 12, 2008, 05:37 PM
I was replying to zioxide, who only talked about screen size.

Ummmm.......

That's what SHE said.

/That's the joke. <- please think of this sentence in Rainier Wolfcastle's voice. Thank you.

Sbrocket
Jan 12, 2008, 05:38 PM
*sigh* I said it before but I'll say it again...why assume that "MacBook Air" was a name that was simply made up given the posters instead of something that simply wasn't posted by Arn until after the posters were shown. I mean, do you really think everything is posted here as soon as sources spill their info? This stuff has to be confirmed or at least corroborated by other evidence, which is likely what these posters did. I think everyone who says stuff like "There's no way Apple would name a product 'MacBook Air'!!!" is going to be in for a big surprise come MWSF. After all - since when has Arn made a habit of posting completely unconfirmed or unfounded reports? Exactly.

NAG
Jan 12, 2008, 05:38 PM
I'm just going to continue to play dense because.

Anyway, I wonder if Time Canada is going to blow the story again.

thegoldenmackid
Jan 12, 2008, 05:47 PM
MacBook Air
(exclusive Specs)

Has 0 Ports (just power)

dvd/cd burner
printers etc

Has slim hard drive

6-8hours battery

this is crap,

no one in their right mind would make something with 0 ports, you have to at a bare minimum have an audio out.

notsofatjames
Jan 12, 2008, 05:49 PM
this is crap,

no one in their right mind would make something with 0 ports, you have to at a bare minimum have an audio out.

buy a macbook then. the audio out works just fine on that.

eric55lv
Jan 12, 2008, 05:53 PM
Intriguing.

It's certainly something different from the obvious nano/mini/thin branding that people are expecting.

it might be because it so light

blybug
Jan 12, 2008, 06:21 PM
I'll tell you why I'd buy a MacBook Air or Thin or Light, and ideally it would be some tablet-style offspring/hybrid of a MacBook and iPhone...Medical Documentation. Here's (sort of) what we're using in my hospital now:
http://www.interiormall.com/images/cat/furn/COW20-CoverDW1_b.jpg
Except ours don't even look that elegant. It's called a "COW" for Computer On Wheels and it is the kludgiest most inconvenient way to move room to room and patient to patient. I can actually access our system by VNSea to my office computer from my hacked iPhone and get more reliable and consistent WiFi reception and UI than using these stupid Dell COWS. I'd buy a iPhoneMEGA or MacBooknano (iPad??!) to walk around with in a heartbeat. Even if the OS itself is limited, as long as it had some sort of Back To My Mac or VNC client on it, it would literally take the place of that ridiculous COW in my life.

NAG
Jan 12, 2008, 06:24 PM
Thing is it would have to be cheap enough for a hospital to give out to all the doctors and such (I think we're using Epic now or something).

blybug
Jan 12, 2008, 06:30 PM
Thing is it would have to be cheap enough for a hospital to give out to all the doctors and such (I think we're using Epic now or something).
Well, not to be completely selfish, but I'm just talking about getting one for me. All the other doctors are on their own :rolleyes:

But yeah...a trimmed down OSX could still run a Citrix client, which is how I access EPIC directly from my Mac currently. Would be even smoother than VNC or Back to my Mac. However I anticipate that if there is a slim tablet style device that some kinda way it has to have some sort of screen sharing built in, that way even though it is thin (physically AND specification-wise), you can still do big things with it via your remote machine. I mean Leopard's Back to my Mac feature is just screaming to be officially on an iPhone and/or somewhat larger-screened device.

Maybe that's really what's "in the air"....your home/office computer (PC or Mac) and everything on it is now beamed to your tablet wirelessly. The AirBook is really little more than a WiFi screen.

NAG
Jan 12, 2008, 06:32 PM
I've always been a fan of the device that lets you remote access your computer (like a Star Trek PADD). Doubt we'll see one anytime soon though.

blybug
Jan 12, 2008, 07:03 PM
I've always been a fan of the device that lets you remote access your computer (like a Star Trek PADD). Doubt we'll see one anytime soon though.
I wonder...Apple would definitely be a bit ahead of the curve (wouldn't be the first time) releasing an iPADD :p but there are a lot of puzzle pieces coming together suggesting we're close to a first-generation of such a device. It's the logical "top-end" of the Touch-iPhone family. Apps and widgets created with the upcoming SDK could span all 3 devices. But the killer app for the big iPADD due to its actual usable screen size would be VNC/BTTM.

Think of all the people in corporate/hospital/university environments carrying laptops around to meetings, rounds, classes, Starbucks, then back to their offices where their desktops are no longer "up to date". In these WiFi saturated environments why not just bring your home/office/dorm computer with you through "the air" on your iPADD? Could definitely cut into the actual laptop computer market, but I bet whatever MacBook sales are lost could be more than made up for by folks buying the iPADD instead of a Windows laptop! Would also make a cozier gadget to curl up on the couch with at home than a traditional laptop, and could literally control and manage all your other local WiFi devices (:apple:TV!).

OK I've convinced myself. Mark this thread...may be referring to it on Tuesday...:D

JGowan
Jan 13, 2008, 01:02 AM
See my post below

|
|
|
V

JGowan
Jan 13, 2008, 01:03 AM
I think it's going to be a tablet that slaps the crap out of the Kindle. It'll be a full on computer tablet that does eBooks, too and is totally wireless like Kindle and can surf the internet like Kindle (free, like Kindle) but, again gives Kindle a sound beating in every single way known to man.

WildPalms
Jan 13, 2008, 01:08 AM
this is crap,

Bluetooth headphones?

Schnebar
Jan 13, 2008, 01:24 AM
this is crap,

Hmm maybe they could get around this by shipping bluetooth headphones with it.

And the no-plug dock charging sounds good too.

Imagine a ultra portable macbook with no ports.

It would have a docking station with a lot of ports in the dock but it would all wirelessly be transfered to the macbook.

No clicking into the dock. Just set it down.

If the dock could be integrated into the desk it could look like you are just setting it on the desk.

But it is wirelessly sending power and signals with the dock which has usb, firewire, large HD, optical drive, headphone jacks, and other ports that are hidden under the desk.

Edit: just realized that in the time I took to reply someone else already pointed out bluetooth headphones.

dongmin
Jan 13, 2008, 01:34 AM
Hmm maybe they could get around this by shipping bluetooth headphones with it.

And the no-plug dock charging sounds good too.

Imagine a ultra portable macbook with no ports.

It would have a docking station with a lot of ports in the dock but it would all wirelessly be transfered to the macbook.

No clicking into the dock. Just set it down.

If the dock could be integrated into the desk it could look like you are just setting it on the desk.

But it is wirelessly sending power and signals with the dock which has usb, firewire, large HD, optical drive, headphone jacks, and other ports that are hidden under the desk.

Edit: just realized that in the time I took to reply someone else already pointed out bluetooth headphones.

So the only way to use a thumb drive or download photos from a camera or sync your iPod/iPhone is through your dock when you're at home???

This IS the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while.

Schnebar
Jan 13, 2008, 01:39 AM
So the only way to use a thumb drive or download photos from a camera or sync your iPod/iPhone is through your dock when you're at home???

This IS the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while.

Yeah I guess there are a lot of problems with this.

But how cool would it be if the sides were completely clean. Maybe they could have a USB and audio output one the side that has a cover that slides over when it is not being used.

I remember when wifi came out and there were all of these commercials about how there were no wires.

But now there will never be any wires ever.

I am just wishful thinking and do not actually know about the complexity that this kind of charging entails but it sounds cool if it worked.

maceleven
Jan 13, 2008, 01:46 AM
Apple and several other companies began lobbying the Federal Communications Commission, which regulates use of the airwaves in the

mrkramer
Jan 13, 2008, 01:52 AM
this is crap,

I agree that it probably won't have no ports, I think it will at least have 1 USB and 1 Firewire, but other than that everything could be done wirelessly, and if Apple wants to make the notebook thinner than the ports are then they may use their patent for collapsible ports that they made a while back.

aswitcher
Jan 13, 2008, 01:57 AM
Bluetooth headphones?

Would get my money if done right.

kresh
Jan 13, 2008, 01:59 AM
GreenPeace will go Ape ***** if the MacBookAir is charged through induction. It will not be near as efficient in power transfer as a direct connection would be. (nothing transfers with 100% efficiency)

I can see GreenPeace attacking Apple now because the new notebooks will cause a 15% spike in electricity consumption, dumping 15% more carbon into the air. Death to Apple!

anti-microsoft
Jan 13, 2008, 02:03 AM
MacBook Air is a bit stupid but I suppose we'll get used to it. It would be better to call it the AirBook.:D

currentinterest
Jan 13, 2008, 02:23 AM
Why does the banner have to reference only one product or service? Perhaps it refers to a theme shared by all introductions at MacWorld.

iTeen
Jan 13, 2008, 02:25 AM
Why does the banner have to reference only one product or service? Perhaps it refers to a theme shared by all introductions at MacWorld.
i don't see how this would relate to something like itunes, but it is referring to the major release...the macbook ________

BillyShears
Jan 13, 2008, 02:33 AM
GreenPeace will go Ape ***** if the MacBookAir is charged through induction. It will not be near as efficient in power transfer as a direct connection would be. (nothing transfers with 100% efficiency)

I can see GreenPeace attacking Apple now because the new notebooks will cause a 15% spike in electricity consumption, dumping 15% more carbon into the air. Death to Apple!

"There's CO2 in the air."

jkmakesmusic
Jan 13, 2008, 02:44 AM
Bluetooth headphones?

being a bit of an audiophile, bluetooth headphones being my only option would definitely cause me not to buy this. if only for that one reason. i didn't buy $250 in-ears to sit around while i use the junk apple provides with their ipod, only wirelessly.

and knowing that jobs himself is a bit of an audiophile, he'd never sign off on this.

this thing is going to have ports. even the iphone and ipod touch do. sorry guys.

Glideslope
Jan 13, 2008, 07:09 AM

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Balmer's office all next week. He is going to stroke out one of these days.

Microsoft is such a contradiction onto itself. They make their claims on the OS, yet produce trash wear in Vista. Even when they finally get the Zune kind of ok, it's the mobil OS that screws it.

Apple on the other hand uses innovative design and function to spread the OS, both full, and mobile without really strutting it. Apple uses it's devices to spread the OS. Redmond has it ass backwards, as usual.

illian
Jan 13, 2008, 08:29 AM
maybe this banner just refers to all the rumors that have been spread throughout the year:D..you could hear/read about apple's new notebook on the internet, tv and there are even some pictures and a name. so there is something in the air and in 2 days we'll find out what it is :rolleyes:

pope
Jan 13, 2008, 09:28 AM
introducing...MacBook Error

matteo2005
Jan 13, 2008, 12:28 PM
I think it means over the air ipod touch/iphone syncing

salvatorereda
Jan 13, 2008, 12:50 PM
"Macbook Air" was just reregistered on 01.11.08 as a .com
If this was the true name, Apple would of purchased the name long before Macworld.

End of Story.

PowerFullMac
Jan 13, 2008, 12:54 PM
If this was the true name, Apple would of purchased the name long before Macworld.

End of Story.

Apple dosent registor domain names like that...

Eric Lewis
Jan 13, 2008, 01:05 PM
Air = composed of nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, trace gases.

So the 4 products are

Macbook NITRO
Macbook OXYO
Macbook C02
Macbook GAS

BabyFaceMagee
Jan 13, 2008, 01:34 PM
Apple dosent registor domain names like that...

Apple doesn't purchase individual sites for its products. They put everything under the www.apple.com site. go try looking for www.macbook.com or www.powerbook.com and you'll see they just go to individual user's sites. So no MacbookAir.com site registered to Apple doesn't mean anything.

DMann
Jan 13, 2008, 01:38 PM
Air = composed of nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, trace gases.

So the 4 products are

Macbook NITRO
Macbook OXYO
Macbook C02
Macbook GAS

not to mention:

MacBook OZONE
MacBook CO (monoxide)
MacBook ARGON
MacBook METHANE
MacBook HYDROGEN
MacBook XENON
MacBook NEON
MacBook KRYPTON

geek143
Jan 13, 2008, 01:44 PM
The wireless implication is too hard to ignore.

How that may apply to products is to be seen.

Wireless IPOD connectivity..possible.

New I phone with less features..maybe.

Hope apple redoes the Nano, it is now a bloated form factor.

aswitcher
Jan 13, 2008, 01:44 PM
not to mention:

MacBook OZONE
MacBook CO (monoxide)
MacBook ARGON
MacBook METHANE
MacBook HYDROGEN
MacBook XENON
MacBook NEON
MacBook KRYPTON

I could go a MacBook Xenon (quad core) ;)

DMann
Jan 13, 2008, 01:56 PM
I could go a MacBook Xenon (quad core) ;)

hot, Hot, HOT!!!!

plumbingandtech
Jan 13, 2008, 02:15 PM

End of Story.

Bzzzzzzzzzzz...

Read the other thread you posted this comment to, to find out why you are wrong.

tingly
Jan 13, 2008, 02:58 PM

I still call BS though.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking, a macbook without ethernet or phone jacks, can only get on the net via airport, for thinnesseseseses sake.

lynfordd
Jan 13, 2008, 03:46 PM
Could it be this is what Apple has done to work with the new Sprint
WiMAX service. To start this month around the USA!

PowerFullMac
Jan 13, 2008, 03:51 PM
That's along the lines of what I was thinking, a macbook without ethernet or phone jacks, can only get on the net via airport, for thinnesseseseses sake.

Apple will NOT do that, however, remember the collapsing port patent filed by Apple?

zedsdead
Jan 13, 2008, 04:03 PM
Apple will NOT do that, however, remember the collapsing port patent filed by Apple?

Apple is supposed to be building an Ultra-Portable. Ethernet takes up space. I seriously doubt it will be in the Macbook Air or whatever apple decides to call it. Wifi will be enough. This laptop is not ment to be a main computer.

plumbingandtech
Jan 13, 2008, 04:09 PM
Apple is supposed to be building an Ultra-Portable. Ethernet takes up space. I seriously doubt it will be in the Macbook Air or whatever apple decides to call it. Wifi will be enough. This laptop is not ment to be a main computer.

It does not take that much space. Worst case they could use a flip-jack like connector.

If it does not ship with an Ethernet port, I will eat dirt.

marktech101
Jan 13, 2008, 04:18 PM
Come on, people!!
In my opinion, their quote, "There's something in the air," is nothing other than an allusion to the fact that they're going to introduce a 3G iPhone. We have all known that this was coming eventually; Jobs even said that the only thing stopping them from introducing it was low battery life.

thinkband
Jan 13, 2008, 04:38 PM
Actually, I think 'Macbook Air' has a ring to it. Especially if everyone knows what its all about. I.E.thin and small, slick and wireless.

Personally, I would only buy a revised MBP. 15" is a pretty good size for me but a 13" would be nice if they made a new slim macbook pro.

My prediction is that something introduced in MW will have heads turn. Whether it is a rental service (probable), slim notebook of some sort, or this touch book, people will be excited. I doubt there will be more than one big thing happening though. We'll see

Hooka
Jan 13, 2008, 05:07 PM
Come on, people!!
In my opinion, their quote, "There's something in the air," is nothing other than an allusion to the fact that they're going to introduce a 3G iPhone. We have all known that this was coming eventually; Jobs even said that the only thing stopping them from introducing it was low battery life.

I would be very surprised if they do any updating to iPhone except for software. The holidays were just around the corner, I doubt Apple will want to give back another $100 bucks to everyone who just bought an iPhone in November or December.

It's going to be a piece of hardware I can guarantee that.

aurin
Jan 13, 2008, 05:25 PM
The MacBook Air
Is Vaporware:p

[QUOTE=thinkband;4744434]Actually, I think 'Macbook Air' has a ring to it.

doo-hik-ee
Jan 13, 2008, 05:42 PM
All this 'air' hype is ridiculous!

MacBook Air!?!? What are you guys thinking?

Crazy. :rolleyes:

dongmin
Jan 13, 2008, 05:56 PM
Yeah I guess there are a lot of problems with this.

But how cool would it be if the sides were completely clean. Maybe they could have a USB and audio output one the side that has a cover that slides over when it is not being used.

I remember when wifi came out and there were all of these commercials about how there were no wires.

But now there will never be any wires ever.

I am just wishful thinking and do not actually know about the complexity that this kind of charging entails but it sounds cool if it worked.

Maybe it's not as cool as having ZERO ports but Apple did patent the idea of collapsible ports:

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/16/connecting_350.gif

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/16/ultraportable-connecting-system/

jbomber
Jan 13, 2008, 06:03 PM
am i the only one who doesn't think the name is as awful as people think? :D

in any event, i doubt that's the name. granted, apple doesn't register urls for individual products, i'd find it hard to believe that they'd leave this one in the wind for just anyone to snatch up.

in all likelihood it relates to some aspect of the features, or the overall weight of the device.

i really wish it was the fabled MacTablet being released, but it sounds like it's still a ways off...

aswitcher
Jan 13, 2008, 06:04 PM
Maybe it's not as cool as having ZERO ports but Apple did patent the idea of collapsible ports:

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/16/connecting_350.gif

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/16/ultraportable-connecting-system/

Which would be absolutely awesome in a small form factor machine.

DMann
Jan 13, 2008, 07:29 PM
Come on, people!!

Much prefer "Wi-Max in the air" to a power hungry, girth expanding, comparatively slower 3G.

takepillsdie
Jan 13, 2008, 09:21 PM
Can't wait for the macbook icare! gonna be so sweet!!:cool:

eric55lv
Jan 13, 2008, 09:27 PM
I think it means over the air ipod touch/iphone syncing

but what about the classic and nano?