Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
i've seen these Sony ones and these Phillips ones and they seem pretty good. i was wondering what you guys thought were good ones to get.

i prefer either earbuds or ones that go over the ear and behind the head. but mainly earbuds are what i prefer.

so suggest away.

wannabe07

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008
Portland, Oregon
I used to have the Sonys, but they kind-of crapped out on me after a while. I am currently using a pair from V-moda, which are decent, but there's no question that anything by Etymotic would beat them all.

tony Ramirez

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2007
if you dont want to spend more than 20 dollars, then get the skullcandy inkd headphones, there 15$ and they give great bass and on the pplane ride i couldnt hear the engine so the isolation is greatt!

CBell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
I 100% recommend buying the Etymotic ER6isolator's off of buy.com for $70. They are normally $150 canal phones and are very very good.
yeah, i guess i should've said my price range is no more than $50, although $70 isn't too bad, preferably around $40, though.

i read some of the reviews of those on amazon, and some people said that they were hard to get out of your ear. one guy even had to tie string to them in order to get them out with out breaking them. i don't doubt for a minute that they offer amazing sound, but they seem pretty high maintenance to me. don't get me wrong, i don't want a pair that i can abuse and trow around, but having to clean my headphones on a regular basis is a little much.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
i got the v-moda vibes with my touch for xmas and theyre the first good set of headphones ive ever purchased. they sound fantastic, cancel noise well, and have the right amount of bass imo. amazon has them cheaper than apple.

Bowlerguy10

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
At my computer
yeah, i guess i should've said my price range is no more than $50, although $70 isn't too bad, preferably around $40, though.

i read some of the reviews of those on amazon, and some people said that they were hard to get out of your ear. one guy even had to tie string to them in order to get them out with out breaking them. i don't doubt for a minute that they offer amazing sound, but they seem pretty high maintenance to me. don't get me wrong, i don't want a pair that i can abuse and trow around, but having to clean my headphones on a regular basis is a little much.

Mine come right out with a little bit of a twist and a pull. And yes there is earwax on them depending on how much wax is in your ear but it comes off easily. You can clean them whenever you want there is no set schedule for it.

wannabe07

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008
Portland, Oregon
If you don't want something that you're going to be cleaning all the time, I wouldn't recommend the Sonys. I'll admit it: I produce a fair amount of earwax. The Sonys just trapped the wax and held it against the little felt cover - it got pretty gross after a while. I even had to use a safety pin at one point to open up the hole in the middle.

Sorry if that's TMI, but I want to make sure you're prepared. :)

bbirch

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
For those that own the Etymotic Research ER6i Isolator In-Ear Earphones, how well do they work while running?
I am a little hesitant to use an in ear earphone while running because I want to be able to hear any car approaching, but for running on trails where traffic and the potential to get hit is limited, how well do they stay inside the ear with the jarring of running.
Also, how about long term use, I often study with headphones to block out outside noise as well as listen to the tunes, has anyone had trouble with ear pain following a long (>5 hours) duration of use?

CBell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
If you don't want something that you're going to be cleaning all the time, I wouldn't recommend the Sonys. I'll admit it: I produce a fair amount of earwax. The Sonys just trapped the wax and held it against the little felt cover - it got pretty gross after a while. I even had to use a safety pin at one point to open up the hole in the middle.

Sorry if that's TMI, but I want to make sure you're prepared. :)

yeah, a little TMI, but still good to know. :)

Bowlerguy10

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
At my computer
For those that own the Etymotic Research ER6i Isolator In-Ear Earphones, how well do they work while running?
I am a little hesitant to use an in ear earphone while running because I want to be able to hear any car approaching, but for running on trails where traffic and the potential to get hit is limited, how well do they stay inside the ear with the jarring of running.
Also, how about long term use, I often study with headphones to block out outside noise as well as listen to the tunes, has anyone had trouble with ear pain following a long (>5 hours) duration of use?

I don't run with them but I use them at school walking in the halls going up stairs and they never feel loose. They create a great suction on your ears which is also how they block sound. They are great at blocking noise. With music playing you won't hear any of the trail noise. They are really really comfortable and I often forget I have them on.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
the best possible earphones you can get are the Shure SCL2 (formerly the e2c).

(at least within a reasonable price range).

this is coming from my crazy sound engineer and audiophile friends.

I managed to find a pair for $50 shipped.

They really do sound amazing, and they are in ear, so they basically act as ear plugs so they isolate the sound. they come with an assortment of rubber and foam tips that go in your ears so you get a perfect fit and seal.

they sound AMAZING, full rich, and the bass is very crisp and clear. I've never experienced any earphones with sound like this.

if you do get them, just make sure you put on the right tips, because a bad seal will make them sound like $5 earphones. read the amazon reviews if you are curious.

almost all the people giving it bad reviews did not fit them correctly in their ears or are audiophiles used to buying $300-$400 earphones.

oh, and one last thing with in-ear earphones....

be careful... don't walk around in a busy city with these things in your ears, you can't hear cars, bicycles, or anything that my hit you or even kill you. if you want to do this, it's best to get some cheap earbuds for that (but still be careful of volume).

that brings me to another point: volume. the closer a sound source is, the more intense it is. these things go INTO your ear, so they are VERY close to your ear. i have my volume set on about half what i used to. start very low, and slowly increase it. it's possible to accidentally go too high which is dangerous. with non-isolating earphones, i usually just turned the volume up so i couldn't hear anything besides the music. but with these, you can never hear anything besides the music... so really you don't need to have them very loud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.