PDA

View Full Version : how to transfer from ibook to new macbook pro...

mr. buttons
Jan 11, 2008, 08:46 PM
Hello,

I now have an old ibook about 4-5 years old now and I am planning to upgrade my laptop to a macbook pro hopefully in a couple of days.

Bare with me and my question as I am not computer savy. how do I transfer all of my data from my ibook to my new macbook pro? I just bought a western digital 250 gb hard drive and I already just backed up all of my ibook stuff on the external hard drive.

So i assume once my new laptop comes in, I just plug in the external hard drive to the macbook pro and transfer it. Is it really that simple or am I missing something? Will all of my pictures and music go directly into iphoto and itunes or will I have to mannually do that? That would be a real pain if I had to manually do it.

I also that you can connect both laptops via firewire? Can someone explain that to me?

thanks for your help.

BIK
Jan 11, 2008, 09:15 PM
This is quite simple actually. Like most things, no one comes close to apple in terms of ease of backing up and migrating data.

1) Get a firewire cable

2) connect both laptops with firewire cable

3) Restart iBook while holding down the "T" button

4) Upon restart, the iBook screen will show a firewire icon bouncing around the screen

5) The Macbook Pro will prompt you if you'd like to migrate Applications/Documents/Etc from an old laptop to a new one

6) Click yes

7) Wait 45 minutes. your new laptop now has all the applications, documents, photos, videos, preferences, and bookmarks from the old laptop.
:D

Batt
Jan 11, 2008, 10:29 PM
This is quite simple actually. Like most things, no one comes close to apple in terms of ease of backing up and migrating data.

5) The Macbook Pro will prompt you if you'd like to migrate Applications/Documents/Etc from an old laptop to a new one

Yup. It's called Set Up Assistant. Piece of cake.

gazfocus
Jan 11, 2008, 10:41 PM
Wow, I didn't know that. Maybe that's just one of the thousands of reasons Macs rule :D

BIK
Jan 11, 2008, 11:01 PM
an extra note

when i migrated from an iBook G4 to my macbook, for some reason it didnt move my pictures from ibook iphoto to macbook iphoto. It did move all my music from ibook itunes to macbook itunes.

I just moved the ibook iphoto library folder to an external drive, and dragged it to iphoto on my macbook. problem solved, and all the iphoto info remained intact.

mr. buttons
Jan 13, 2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks for your help but I still have other questions.

After I do the migration, I take it that all of my documents, photos, music, bookmarks and all the other stuff will be in their designated place like my older ibook. Is this correct?

Also after I do this migration, how can I totally erase my old ibook. I want to restore it to factory settings as I might be giving it to my little cousin as he needs a laptop. I basically want to give him my old laptop in a "factory refreshed condition"

thank you for helping a newbie.

gnasher729
Jan 13, 2008, 07:44 PM
Also after I do this migration, how can I totally erase my old ibook. I want to restore it to factory settings as I might be giving it to my little cousin as he needs a laptop. I basically want to give him my old laptop in a "factory refreshed condition"

Do you have the original installer disks? If yes, start from the installer disks (restart the computer, hold the "C" key pressed while it is starting), and one of the installer options is "Erase and install", which leaves the iBook as new. It might be nice of you to run Software Update to get the latest version of everything.

If you have sensitive data: The "Erase and install" doesn't actually wipe your data, it just forgets where everything was, so a hacker might be able to recover things. If you want to make sure that nobody can get any data of the disk, start from the installer disk, but before you install, you run "Disk Utility" (in one of the menus), which allows you to safely erase everything on the disk. You can tell it to wipe everything out and overwrite it once, seven times or thirty-five times. "Overwrite once" means the FBI could still find bits and pieces of your data, but I couldn't. "Overwrite seven times" means everything is gone for good. "Overwrite 35 times" means you are paranoid.

And only wipe your old computer if you are absolutely sure that everything is on the new one. So wait three days, check if everything is there, and only then wipe everything.

ltech
Feb 12, 2008, 12:44 PM

1) Get a firewire cable

2) connect both laptops with firewire cable

3) Restart iBook while holding down the "T" button

4) Upon restart, the iBook screen will show a firewire icon bouncing around the screen

6) Click yes

7) Wait 45 minutes. your new laptop now has all the applications, documents, photos, videos, preferences, and bookmarks from the old laptop.
:D I find a number of firewire cables available for sale. I need to transfer files from a 2001 iBook to a new Mac Book Pro. Which cable do I need? (4, 6 or 9 wire??)

Fezzasus
Feb 12, 2008, 12:46 PM
I find a number of firewire cables available for sale. I need to transfer files from a 2001 iBook to a new Mac Book Pro. Which cable do I need? (4, 6 or 9 wire??)

6 pin to 6 pin

Basically you want the one with this connector on both ends.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a6/Firewire6-pin.jpg

spaceballl
Feb 12, 2008, 03:54 PM
:D
Or ya know... 3 to 4 hours... :) Hopefully it's closer to the 45 minute mark...

Fezzasus
Feb 12, 2008, 04:30 PM
Or ya know... 3 to 4 hours... :) Hopefully it's closer to the 45 minute mark...

At a transfer rate of around 25 mb/s, it really depends how much you have.

darfel
Mar 5, 2008, 11:47 AM
This sounds just what I need.

lawmnsuu
Mar 9, 2008, 09:56 AM
I have already transferred all of my data such as itunes library, pictures, etc from one macbook pro to another. I didn't transfer my preferences, bookmarks, etc. how do I transfer just that type of info without everything else as my son is now using my old laptop and has his own photos, music and documents that i do not want to move into my new macbook pro.

Ruru
Apr 29, 2008, 07:04 AM
Hi. I need help in getting instructions on how to transfer stuff from my current iBook to Macbook.

I have plugged in the Firewire cable to both machines and reboot the old iBook in Target Disk Mode by holding down the "T" key. But on the new Macbook, the old iBook's drive does not appear. It does not even prompt me whether I would like to migrate the stuff over to the new machine.

Is there something I have to do on my old machine? Or is it because that I have already setup an user account on the new machine??

I really am in desperate need of help. Please drop me an email at cheryl_cheerful@yahoo.com.sg or ryl205@singnet.com.sg

Thanks.

neeter3148
Jan 21, 2014, 07:34 PM
I have an old iBook G4 that will not boot up. It has lain dormant for about 3 years now. Is there any way I can get data from the hard drive transferred to my new MacBook Pro? I just want my kids pictures and videos.
Thanks.

g4manimac
Jan 21, 2014, 08:08 PM
Talk about lain dormant this thread is almost 6yrs old!With it not booting I would get a external hard drive enclosure on ebay and do it that way,I got mine for $12 and its usb or firewire so I can boot ppc off it too.All you would have to do is take your hard drive out of the ibook,pop it in the enclosure and plug it in your Macbook then drag and drop your photos.If thats not an option I'm sure someone on here can help you.