PDA

View Full Version : OK Gang--it's almost time to show our Support for Apple when iTunes is released.


Frisco
Oct 10, 2003, 01:28 PM
I am trying to figure out the best way to show my support for Apple and it's Music Store when they release i-Tunes for Windows next week.

I want i-Tunes for Windows to take off like a rocket!!! This will take wind out of the copycat music stores sail.

I plan on purchasing a lot of new music the day of the launch. I already started emailing many of my PC friends letting them know about it.

But what else can I do to support the store? I want to bolster Apple in this as much as reasonably possible.

I was also thinking about going around to everyone's cubicle at work and installing i-Tunes and deleting Windows Media Player :D

I hear Microsoft is releasing a new version of Win Media Player for OSX. Do you guys think MS will be throwing a party for the media player release like Apple for Windows iTunes release ;) (sarcasm

Any way let me know how everyone plans on bolstering Apple next week. I think Windows users are in for an Enlightenment!

baby duck monge
Oct 10, 2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Frisco
I think Windows users are in for an Enlightenment!

just so long as itunes works/looks the same in windows as it does on the mac we should be in good shape. what i would hate to see is the pc version not work as well or look really bad, and then have that turn off potential switchers.

stoid
Oct 10, 2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by baby duck monge
just so long as itunes works/looks the same in windows as it does on the mac we should be in good shape. what i would hate to see is the pc version not work as well or look really bad, and then have that turn off potential switchers.


If there's anything we have learned from Steve, it's that he only does something if he can do it right. I'm not worried about dark iTMS being a totally dominant product, I worried about whether the Windows world can even tell what a good product is anymore, or if the huge let downs that the Windows online music business has amply provided will keep them from even giving the new iTMS a try to find out how great it is.

Frozone
Oct 10, 2003, 02:34 PM
If i can talk my parents into it i'm going to d/l and buy tons of stuff. My brother also wants tons of songs and I plan on telling all 145 people on my MSN Messenger list to go d/l it. And everyone at school.

tazo
Oct 10, 2003, 02:43 PM
I will certainly spam it at school to my friends, and I will try and download like 10 or so songs....

Flowbee
Oct 10, 2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Frisco
I plan on purchasing a lot of new music the day of the launch.


Let's hope you can. Remember how slow iTMS was the day it launched for Mac? I wasn't able to buy anything until the next day. To be fair, I don't think Apple quite expected the overwhelming interest in the iTMS at that point. Now they know.

I hope they're prepared for the massive crush of traffic.

alia
Oct 10, 2003, 03:14 PM
I plan on downloading some songs, even though I will be getting my mac in a couple of weeks. Why not bolster the Wintel showing for Apple? :) As long as the songs will work with my ipod and my powerbook when I get it.

Alia

The Reaper
Oct 10, 2003, 03:24 PM
Alia is a very nice name. i've never heard it before. if i have a daughter one day, i may name her that.

MattG
Oct 10, 2003, 03:59 PM
What I'm really hoping for is for Apple to make a Windows version of iTunes, as well as making a way for Mac users to share music with Windows computers. For example, my computer at work is a Windows 2000 machine. How great would it be if Apple could make some kind of client for Windows (a Rendezvous client?) that made it so it could see my Mac notebook, and they could share music together? Just like Steve demoed at the announcement of the music store, where he played music on one Mac from another Mac over the wireless network--I'd like to be able to do that, but between mixed Windows/Mac networks! I just want easy music transfer between iTunes, regardless of platform. That would be sweet.

MacIke
Oct 10, 2003, 04:06 PM
Personally I would suggest that you buy one or two songs on Launch Day for WIN ITMS.

Let all the Windows people download music without tying up the servers for those of wanting to show suppport. Of Course if music is not flying off the server... CHARGE IT!

That said... I am going to DL the Win iTunes for my wife and then buy one song off of it.

I am hoping it will work on her WIN98SE

caveman_uk
Oct 10, 2003, 04:08 PM
Sorry can't help you. I'm not an American see (one of the 5.5 billion people who aren't) so I couldn't buy anything even if I wanted to. Oh well...back to stealing I suppose...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Reaper
Oct 10, 2003, 05:01 PM
sorry can't help you. I'm not an American see (one of the 5.5 billion people who aren't) so I couldn't buy anything even if I wanted to. Oh well...back to stealing I suppose...

actually, there are 11 billion people on the planet. china has up to 6 billion people (they lied about the one child policy).

spice weasel
Oct 10, 2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by caveman_uk
Oh well...back to stealing I suppose...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's not stealing, it's copyright infringement. See, doesn't sound quite so bad that way, does it? We're not pirates, we're infringers! :D

Besides, the RIAA can't touch you if you infringe on US copyrights from across the pond -- at least not yet. I doubt they're going to file extradition papers.

balconycollapse
Oct 10, 2003, 05:19 PM
My contribution to the cause. I think this is something worthy to rally around. I honestly haven't bought a song from iTMS. But, i think i will definately download an album come the 16th. I also hope they add alot of new songs. I would think that if Napster gets 500,000 Apple surely must have been cut a similar deal. I really hope that they will announce indie labels. Or in a pipedream, movies on demand with the Pixlet codec.

etoiles
Oct 10, 2003, 06:22 PM
I am not going to change any of my shopping habits just to 'support' a company. Not even Apple.

Apple makes good products, but they never gave me anything for free. They are still a business, not a charitable organization. I am going to buy music when I feel like it, wherever I get the best deal. It might be iTMS, but I am not going to be part of an ad campaign.

just my 2cts

MrEFord
Oct 10, 2003, 06:40 PM
Talk about a wet towel... it's quite simple: we like Apple, so we're going to show our support, it's not like we're going to buy a bunch of crappy songs and throw our money away :rolleyes:

And btw, Apple may not be a charity, but they're still one of the coolest companies around and one of the few that at least pay attention somewhat to their customers

Just my opinion :)

Stella
Oct 10, 2003, 06:40 PM
I'll buy stuff from the iTMS when they support the country I live in.

A rumour from a month or two back states that in Canada, the ground work had been done for companies to start selling music over the net.

Next week, the first online music store comes to Canada. Unfortunately, its in a non standard audio format - ie, WMA.

Where is Apple?

They should be jumping at the opportunity.



Originally posted by etoiles
I am not going to change any of my shopping habits just to 'support' a company. Not even Apple.

Apple makes good products, but they never gave me anything for free. They are still a business, not a charitable organization. I am going to buy music when I feel like it, wherever I get the best deal. It might be iTMS, but I am not going to be part of an ad campaign.

just my 2cts

mmmdreg
Oct 10, 2003, 07:00 PM
I'm a bit behind in my news. Does Windows play AAC files now then?

Stella
Oct 10, 2003, 07:04 PM
Via quicktime player.

iTunes for Windows will be a fix for AAC DRMed.


Originally posted by mmmdreg
I'm a bit behind in my news. Does Windows play AAC files now then?

alia
Oct 10, 2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by The Reaper
Alia is a very nice name. i've never heard it before. if i have a daughter one day, i may name her that.

You actually wouldn't be the first. I've had at least two or three people name children after me... or after hearing my name. I can't say that I'm so fabulous that everyone wants to name their kid after me (cause I'm not!). :D

It's nice to have a fairly unique name though.


Alia

Cookiebread
Oct 10, 2003, 07:26 PM
You'll also be able to use iTunes to play the AAC files when it is released.

oldschool
Oct 10, 2003, 09:01 PM
How about getting some iTunes Music Store support for America Junior (canada) apple users, instead of windows users?

mmmdreg
Oct 10, 2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by alia

It's nice to have a fairly unique name though.

Alia
So is that pronounced like Aaliyah? Or am I way off.

Jagga
Oct 10, 2003, 09:52 PM
Um, Alia if I'm correct isnt your name pronounced like in the movie Dune.....St. Alia of the Knife?? Um no insult intended, as I really like that name.

Aaliyah is pronounced as its spelt, you figured that with all the "miss you" videos and news reports of her going into the next realm we'd have gotten it right.

Um I unfortunately am still stuck in this godforsaken excuse of a Window for an OS. Will anyone please help me by donating an iMac DV or something capable of running OS X.

I would love to buy music on my PC but if ITMS for WIndows is half as successful in the same amount of time as for Apple users, then I think that windows user will remain the same complacent brain dead users as they always have. Think about it, how many times have you tried to show/explain/teach/unbrainwash all of your windows using friends/colleagues/comrads/mes amis that their suffering using MS OS?!?! I've been there done that, but I'm think that if they've used windblows for over 2 years, whether its CEMENT or XP then they more than likely never change?! unless your in contact with them daily, and can compete with most of the things they do on their PC, especially when it crashes. When I had my Quicksilver I was tircked into overclocking it and now I'm suffering for it, however I tried like crazy to get my PC buddies to come over even at the expense of a fidge full of 24's just to play on my Mac.

That said, and many experiences and opinions vary. I will purchase music for my PC. I really do hope that it'll be in AAC format!! as Media Player doesn't support it that well, and the fact that Apple has made great inroads with QuickTime. I love going to the internet café and going to quicktime and looking at movie clips, the PC guys & girls always ask what movie is that?!?!!!! What site are you at, can you view that on Media Player???? NO??? QuickTime, free, download easy??!!!! Cool! and they follow suit. Happens everyday everyweek for the past 5 months. Not lately, cause I'm on Cogeco.

I want an Apple store in Canada.
Bring it

mmmdreg
Oct 10, 2003, 10:09 PM
Lol what happened to your quicksilver exactly?

Jagga
Oct 10, 2003, 10:23 PM
After following a website posting of soldering a few transistors the CPU speed went up to 967Mhz (1st gen QuickSilver). It lasted for about 3 weeks, really nice, but then left it on for roughly 4 days, and wehn I smelt some burning (no not burnt toast, though I wish I had, lol) thats when I opend that chasis, and so a lil smoke, and promptly turned it off. I waited a few hours before hitting the power switch......well needless to say "On" never ever happend again. I since kept the case for several weeks after in moarning then donated it to recycling.

BOy was I extremely pissed!:mad:

To tell the truth, I never was that good at soldering, did good for my second time ever - first time soldering a chip onto PS1 board successfully - and a very dusty room i lived in and never opened the window........garbage bin just outside, blah!

That sure teached me the stupidity of being a windblow user....if it ain't broke dont fix it, just get a new OS. If your using windblow just get a mac.

Funds a little low right now, and very depressed about identity theft!!

redAPPLE
Oct 11, 2003, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by MattG
What I'm really hoping for is for Apple to make a Windows version of iTunes, as well as making a way for Mac users to share music with Windows computers. For example, my computer at work is a Windows 2000 machine. How great would it be if Apple could make some kind of client for Windows (a Rendezvous client?) that made it so it could see my Mac notebook, and they could share music together? Just like Steve demoed at the announcement of the music store, where he played music on one Mac from another Mac over the wireless network--I'd like to be able to do that, but between mixed Windows/Mac networks! I just want easy music transfer between iTunes, regardless of platform. That would be sweet.

i think there is a suggestion "box" somewhere in apple.com.

suggest it.

Vlade
Oct 11, 2003, 11:12 AM
I may buy 1 or 2 CDs I want, but its hard to go from 0 dollars to 20 dollars, even if it is legal.

eric_n_dfw
Oct 11, 2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Jagga
I since kept the case for several weeks after in moarning then donated it to recycling. You do know you could have sold that Quicksilver case for a pretty penny, don't you?

i.e: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2756360065&category=14911

(If so, I applaud your generousity to charity. If not, well, I'm sorry.)

Ajmbc
Oct 11, 2003, 04:14 PM
Here is the picture that I made-

balconycollapse
Oct 11, 2003, 05:11 PM
http://www.matadorrecords.com/news/index.html

wooo more songs!!! This is crazy. My way of supporting iTMS was to order and album but until today they didn't have the one i REAAALLLY wanted. Woohoo!!! I put in a request on the feedback for itms for Guided By Voices and now my wish has come true!!!

Frisco
Oct 11, 2003, 05:46 PM
Ajmbc,

That's a great picture man!!

Frozone
Oct 11, 2003, 06:06 PM
Someone should also go into MSN, Yahoo, and other chatrooms and talk people into downloading iTunes. I may end up printing that picture out multiple times and giving em out to people at school.

dho
Oct 11, 2003, 07:34 PM
Ajmbc:

Sweet pic

mrjamin
Oct 12, 2003, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by mmmdreg
I'm a bit behind in my news. Does Windows play AAC files now then?

i've been playing AAC files on my wintel machine since around the time iTMS was launched, and not through quicktime! There's loads of 3rd party Winamp/WMP plugins - some of them have been around for a long time.

Vlade
Oct 12, 2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by mrjamin
i've been playing AAC files on my wintel machine since around the time iTMS was launched, and not through quicktime! There's loads of 3rd party Winamp/WMP plugins - some of them have been around for a long time.

Just wondering, do they all get around the .m4p files, or just .m4a ones?

kikimus
Oct 12, 2003, 09:16 AM
I think the biggest thing Apple has done to encourage support is to start putting smaller labels on itunes.

Matador and Rounder are a good start, now get SubPop and...... better yet, create a process for smaller labels to submit their music to itunes without it taking 6 months.

I have not bought anything yet (now with Matador I will), because the stuff I like was not availible on itunes. I can buy the mainstream crap at any old store.

Make it easy for me to find Indie stuff (like Wrens, who I had to order directly from their label and wait......), and I will spend lots o money.

The Reaper
Oct 12, 2003, 11:39 AM
ok, everyone has to realize something. to make a difference, you need to buy all of your songs on a WINDOWS computer, so that apple can say 'and we have x number of songs sold to windows users.'

azdude
Oct 12, 2003, 03:45 PM
Buy stock. ;)

stingerman
Oct 12, 2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by azdude
Buy stock. ;)

Knowing what's coming, many of os rumor mongers should have made plenty on Apple's run. And, now we know before the rest of the world (investing world) what is going to be released this Thursday.

That is one of the advantages of being under the RADAR like APPLE has been. Come Wednesday's earnings followed by Thursdays releases, we should have some nice upside.

iEric
Oct 12, 2003, 05:05 PM
UGH, I can't believe Windows users get a taste of what Mac users get...So unfair...I WANT iTUNES ALL TO MYSELF!! LOOL :D

rickvanr
Oct 12, 2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by spice weasel
It's not stealing, it's copyright infringement. See, doesn't sound quite so bad that way, does it? We're not pirates, we're infringers! :D

Besides, the RIAA can't touch you if you infringe on US copyrights from across the pond -- at least not yet. I doubt they're going to file extradition papers.

is that really true? cause i was getting a little paranoid.... but if its true, now im not...

wiz7dome
Oct 12, 2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by kikimus
I think the biggest thing Apple has done to encourage support is to start putting smaller labels on itunes.

Matador and Rounder are a good start, now get SubPop and...... better yet, create a process for smaller labels to submit their music to itunes without it taking 6 months.

I have not bought anything yet (now with Matador I will), because the stuff I like was not availible on itunes. I can buy the mainstream crap at any old store.

Make it easy for me to find Indie stuff (like Wrens, who I had to order directly from their label and wait......), and I will spend lots o money.

Mr. Jobs wont allow groups to submit music directly to iTMS. Indie groups can get on to the store, but they must go through an indie distributor like CD BABY and have physical CD's for sell. A deal has already been worked out between some indie's and Apple, however, groups do have a threshold of pressed CD's to meet before they're placed onto the store. Im not sure, but I think the number is 5K units.

side note: expect to hear this argument again in court. (see Apple Corp. shakedown....... errr lawsuit)

mrjamin
Oct 12, 2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by rickvanr
is that really true? cause i was getting a little paranoid.... but if its true, now im not...

perfectly true. Just like DivX movies - they're legal if you rented the DVD/Video once...some loophole that they call "time-lapse" or something

I don't have a problem with downloading a divx movie if its been on tv before. Back-of-the-cinema jobbies are a little different because the quality's crap - the small screen ruins a lot of films anyway, so a camcorder isn't gonna do it any good at all!