PDA

View Full Version : 12" PB Hinge Problem

Caspa
Oct 10, 2003, 10:21 PM
Hey Everyone,

Got a REV A 12" Powerbook, about 5 months old.
Does anyone have a problem with their hinges? When I have my lid open, if i push the screen back (particularly after it has been sitting in the same position for a while) it makes a VERY loud cracking sound and is almost too stiff to move. Closing the lid is ok tho!

Really pissing me off, but won't get a chance to get it looked at for quite some time :(

Anyone else experienced this? Apple's response?

yoda13
Oct 11, 2003, 09:14 AM
Mine is the same way. Doesn't seem to be affecting anything, though I agree it is annoying. I haven't bothered calling Apple about it, cause everything is working right. Besides, the last time I sent in a computer to Apple, it came back all scratched up:mad:

zkmusa
Mar 20, 2004, 10:44 AM
My revision A powerbook is doing the same thing now. It's extremely annoying... did you all ever end up calling Apple?

PlaceofDis
Mar 20, 2004, 11:05 AM
mine does the same thing, but im not going to complain, i would rather have it be a little too tight than too lose....and until it starts affecting the performance of the screen or causing other problems i am just not going to worry about it.....good to know that its not just one person though haveing the "problem"

RBMaraman
Mar 20, 2004, 11:26 AM
My 500mhz iBook started making the squeaking noise about 5 months after I got it. I called Apple and they said they couldn't do anything about it, but it should go away after a while. About a year later, the squeaking stopped. The machine is now over 2.5 years old, and the screen hasn't squeaked for over a year.

Give it time, and it'll go away.

miradu
Mar 20, 2004, 11:47 AM
My Rev. B 12 inch does the same thing....You get used to it; it's not that annoying after time.

Koodauw
Mar 20, 2004, 12:00 PM
My 12'' does the same thing. It agree it is annoying. Interestingly enough my problem started after I got my laptop back from the Apple service center. They must of tightened something to tight. I was thinking about seeing if I could it it fixed, but it never bothered me enough look into it more. Good to know its not just me.

zkmusa
Mar 20, 2004, 12:05 PM
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one either. I bought my computer in July of 2003.. this was also the time a lot of people were complaining about creaking iBook hinges. I thought that by purchasing the new 12" pbook, I'd be avoiding the creaking hinges problem. I guess not..

Oh well.. it's not that big of a deal. It's just annoying hearing it creak in a quiet place such as a library. Hopefully it will quiet down after a while. Thanks for all the replies!

superbovine
Mar 20, 2004, 05:08 PM
mine did it the first few times, but it went away.

blue&whiteman
Mar 20, 2004, 05:29 PM
way back in the day I had a powerbook 540c that had a lot of hinge problems. it got so that I was afraid to open or close it.

Ajmbc
Mar 20, 2004, 05:43 PM
When I sent my iBook to Apple, the corner of the bottom cracked!

-ajmbc

PlaceofDis
Mar 20, 2004, 05:55 PM
ajmbc - i hope you sent it back and they fixed that for you too!

its good to hear that a lot of people have this problem, i try to move my screen around evey now and then just so it doesnt creak as much later...

BrandonRP0123
Mar 20, 2004, 06:24 PM
ajmbc - i hope you sent it back and they fixed that for you too!

its good to hear that a lot of people have this problem, i try to move my screen around evey now and then just so it doesnt creak as much later...

Mine does it too. It's not so bad in warmer weather (or when the machine is warmer). It tends to only do it when you have the screen open at 90 degrees or less in relation to the keyboard section. Although if I look VERY closely - the seam between the screen and the hinge has a slightly bigger gap at the ends of the hinge than it does on the rest of the hinge. Anyone else notice this?

My iBook 500 used to do it all the time - and I bet it still does. Nothing abnormal - better it be tighter than not staying open because the hinge is loose or the hinge is falling off (read: TiBook)