Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
I am going to get comcast cable internet but i would like to have a wireless cable modem. I need a modem that is about 100 dollars and having a regular modem in it is a plus(but not neccesary)

Which modem would suit my needs? i would get teh apple extreme base but its farly expensive...

thanks

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
You need a cable modem, which will usually be provided by Comcast, and a wireless router. I use a LinkSys router personally, but the D-Link mentioned above will work as well. The cable modem plugs into the cable coming out of the wall then also plugs into the router. The router then distributes the internet signal to as many computers as you like. For the LinkSys it has 4 wired ports as well as wireless. That should be all you need.

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
I noticed a combination cable modem and wireless router for sale. I don't know which company manufactures it, buy it might save you a little bit.

I have a cable modem and ethernet router made by Linksys and I have had no problems with them. I chose ethernet with cat6 cable for maximum speed, reliability, and security.

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
Why buy a cable modem? You can rent the modem for $3 a month from Comcast. That will take three years to get to $100. By then who knows where you will be living (if cable is available, etc.) However, if your really have the urge to buy a modem, go to any online store (Amazon, Best Buy, etc.) and get one. Motorola and Toshiba make some of the best ones. Really, they all work well so pick one of those two brands.

Also, I saw a Best Buy ad that gives you the modem for 100 bucks then a $100 mail in rebate when you order comcast internet. You'll have to check Best Buy (There site is down as I'm checking right now).

Like someone said above, you will need the modem -> wireless router -> wireless card tomake this all work.

UPDATE: I just got in to bestbuy.com . Scroll to the bottom of the page. Under store services you'll see a ad for "weekly ad". Click on it, ebter your zip code. When you get to the next page, search for cable modem. You'll see the Lynx cable modem and a link on the side that says "view page 19" (your might be different depending on your flyer for your area). If youlook at the ad, if you sign up for comcast, you get the cable modem for free, plus a $25 gift card from best buy. And there you have it!

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
If I go buy a cable modem (so I don't have the rental charges), should it self-configure? My co. (Starpower/RCN) tells me they need a tech to come out to do this (at $50), which I think must be BS.

Anyone know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.