PDA

View Full Version : Air is a 802.11n Network Drive.

Martin C
Jan 12, 2008, 10:53 PM
The following photo and specs were originally posted by tacojohn on AppleInsider:

http://homepage.mac.com/ellenich/.Pictures/n2310688_43278062_329.jpg

-dual 500GB or dual 1TB drives (RAID 1)
-Wifi only
-Works with Time Machine
-UPnP Server
-Any Apple wifi device automatically recognizes it on the network (Bonjour) and can stream/sync media with it
-AppleTV can stream from it
-iTunes and iPhoto can use it to store their libraries on it
-You can access it from anywhere (via the internet ala your .mac account)

$399 for 500GB
$499 for 1TB

QCassidy352
Jan 12, 2008, 10:56 PM
Fascinating. Could well be true.

I wouldn't be such a big fan though... if you were playing an online game and TM started syncing with a network drive that would create all sorts of problems. Not an issue for many people I'm sure, but it would bother me enough to give me pause.

EricNau
Jan 12, 2008, 10:58 PM
I doubt it.

Apple wouldn't use that as a feature graphic on their site because most users haven't a clue what NAS stands for, and it's a terrible slogan to begin with. What is this advertising 101?

TIGOS
Jan 12, 2008, 11:06 PM
PS screen?

Its a joke? :confused:

tdhurst
Jan 12, 2008, 11:08 PM
Should we all break out our Adobe suites and start making up things?

Never would Apple in its right mind say something like NAS on an advertisement.

Drumjim85
Jan 12, 2008, 11:09 PM
wouldn't an external drive on the airport thing serve the same function?

Chrysaor
Jan 12, 2008, 11:10 PM
Shopped. :p

aswitcher
Jan 12, 2008, 11:14 PM
Surely if they just fixed the AEBS we could get pretty much all this with just a USB attached HDD.

I call fake or just plain poor decision by Apple.

mojohanna
Jan 12, 2008, 11:17 PM
What is so unique about a product like this for Apple??? I mean really, what would they have in there, just a networking tranceiver? There doesn't seem to be any Apple innovation in this. At least not something that would be headlining a keynote.

Not to mention the pricing seems outrageous.

tdhurst
Jan 12, 2008, 11:30 PM

You'd think so, if Time Machine was supported by this "airdisk."

But it's not, unfortunately.

TimJim
Jan 12, 2008, 11:34 PM
If thats it, i probably wont get it.

CWallace
Jan 12, 2008, 11:34 PM
While I believe that picture to be a fake, the idea of a 802.11n wireless NAS actually makes some sense with Apple's future plans.

Being able to store iTunes Store content on a wireless NAS would allow easy syncing with Macs, iPhones, iPod Touches, and :apple:tvs in the house.

You'd also be able to stream new content without having to power on your Macintosh to get to it's HDD, which adds convenience (and courtesy - if your Mac is in the bedroom and you want to watch something on :apple:tv in the middle of the night, no need to wake up the spouse by powering on the Mac).

Eric Lewis
Jan 12, 2008, 11:37 PM
While I believe that picture to be a fake, the idea of a 802.11n wireless NAS actually makes some sense with Apple's future plans.

Being able to store iTunes Store content on a wireless NAS would allow easy syncing with Macs, iPhones, iPod Touches, and :apple:tvs in the house.

You'd also be able to stream new content without having to power on your Macintosh to get to it's HDD, which adds convenience (and courtesy - if your Mac is in the bedroom and you want to watch something on :apple:tv in the middle of the night, no need to wake up the spouse by powering on the Mac).

omg this makes actual sense

where is the original post

WildPalms
Jan 12, 2008, 11:40 PM
omg this makes actual sense

where is the original post

Lol, nah. Just more fan-art daydreaming :)

aswitcher
Jan 12, 2008, 11:43 PM
If this thing was a Drobo type NAS as well I would be far more interested. Still the price...

obeygiant
Jan 12, 2008, 11:46 PM
Apple is in the storage business now?

Drumjim85
Jan 12, 2008, 11:53 PM

no.. Just the storage inclosure.

mjstew33
Jan 12, 2008, 11:55 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. 802.11n... would only enable the newer Macs. iPhones/iPod touch's wouldn't be able to use it. Apple TV could. Hmmm..

Given the fact the picture is in the Adobe Suite and it has multiple layers on the side, I call BS.

CWallace
Jan 12, 2008, 11:59 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. 802.11n... would only enable the newer Macs. iPhones/iPod touch's wouldn't be able to use it. Apple TV could. Hmmm..

I would imagine it would not be only 802.11n (can't really be, since it's still in draft). So .11b and .11g (if not .11a) support would also be there.

ilflyya
Jan 13, 2008, 12:12 AM
Why is the picture in photoshop? Did they just get done creating the fake picture and were way to excited, couldn't wait to put it somewhere else first? I'd be more interested in an Apple TV with integrated Blu-ray player, or just Blu-ray installed standard in something period, than another airport extreme - redo.

EricNau
Jan 13, 2008, 12:19 AM
Perhaps we are to assume it's a picture from inside Apple, and the developers have yet to finish it (hence why it's in Photoshop).

Koodauw
Jan 13, 2008, 12:24 AM
I am going with fake

ravenvii
Jan 13, 2008, 12:47 AM
Dunno about this, but it does make sense given Apple's actions in the past (especially the disabling of AirDisk-Time Machine compatibility.

bigandy
Jan 13, 2008, 12:50 AM
I severely doubt that all those posters around MacWorld are to do with something as *yawn* as a wifi NAS type box thingy. :rolleyes:

It's the equivalent of Microsoft spending $500m on marketing a $10 multipack of dead frogs.

~David
Jan 13, 2008, 01:03 AM
This is obviously fake.

Not because the shot is taken from photoshop, not because the design doesn't follow Apple's product lineup, but because "Kiss your NAS goodbye." is possibly the worst slogan ever and nobody at Apple would ever, in their right mind; use that.

samh004
Jan 13, 2008, 01:08 AM

Surely if they just fixed the AEBS we could get pretty much all this with just a USB attached HDD.

That would be the easier solution, but Apple has a habit of introducing new products to do the job instead of just fixing things with a software or firmware update.

I say fake though as the slogan "kiss your NAS good bye" just wouldn't happen. However the general idea isn't too bad, especially if they could build the whole RAID system themselves etc... and have it be able to interoperate with most of their other currently offered services. Would be nicer though if it just plugged into existing products, in which case it could be redundant anyway.

But interesting idea, well done. What did you create the image from, an Airport Express ?

Project
Jan 13, 2008, 04:07 AM
So its basically Windows Home Server

~David
Jan 13, 2008, 04:11 AM
So its basically Windows Home Server
Huh? O_o

Windows Home Server is a server operating system targeted at home users. (Basically Windows Server 2003 that has been stripped down and shined up).

This is supposedly a NAS (Network Attached Storage), a hard drive that connects into your network with a few additional features.

And this is just a stupid rumor, nothing more.

Project
Jan 13, 2008, 04:26 AM
Huh? O_o

Windows Home Server is a server operating system targeted at home users. (Basically Windows Server 2003 that has been stripped down and shined up).

This is supposedly a NAS (Network Attached Storage), a hard drive that connects into your network with a few additional features.

And this is just a stupid rumor, nothing more.

And what exactly do you think this rumor is? Its a server OS targeted at home users for back up and access.

Take a look at this:

http://www.buy.com/prod/hp-ex470-mediasmart-server-500gb-windows-home-server/q/loc/101/205466508.html

-dual 500GB drives (check)
-Works with Time Machine (Windows backup, check)
-UPnP Server (check)
-Any Microsoft device automatically recognizes it on the network (Bonjour) and can stream/sync media with it (check)
-AppleTV can stream from it (360, check)
-iTunes and iPhoto can use it to store their libraries on it (check)
-You can access it from anywhere (via the internet ala your .mac account) (for free with WHS, check)

~David
Jan 13, 2008, 04:41 AM
And what exactly do you think this rumor is? Its a server OS targeted at home users for back up and access.

Take a look at this:

http://www.buy.com/prod/hp-ex470-mediasmart-server-500gb-windows-home-server/q/loc/101/205466508.html

-dual 500GB drives (check)
-Works with Time Machine (Windows backup, check)
-UPnP Server (check)
-Any Microsoft device automatically recognizes it on the network (Bonjour) and can stream/sync media with it (check)
-AppleTV can stream from it (360, check)
-iTunes and iPhoto can use it to store their libraries on it (check)
-You can access it from anywhere (via the internet ala your .mac account) (for free with WHS, check)

You're mistaking Windows Homer Server for an actual MediaSmart Server. Windows Homer Server is nothing more than an operating system.

But yeah, it is much like a MediaSmart Server (running WHS), I guess.

stomer
Jan 13, 2008, 05:18 AM
I can't see Apple supporting UPnP. They already made a conscious decision to use Nat-PMP instead, as is evident in the current AEBS.

Project
Jan 13, 2008, 06:28 AM
You're mistaking Windows Homer Server for an actual MediaSmart Server. Windows Homer Server is nothing more than an operating system.

But yeah, it is much like a MediaSmart Server (running WHS), I guess.

You are being very pedantic.

I know the difference between a client and a machine

WHS is analogous to the complete set up, much like a "window machine" is.

109%
Jan 13, 2008, 07:05 AM
Oh, I just got it! "NAS" (kinda) rhymes with ass!

Yeah, Apple are all about ass-related puns that 99% of people won't even understand. They're famous for it.

jemo07
Jan 13, 2008, 10:43 AM
The following photo and specs were originally posted by tacojohn on AppleInsider:

:eek:

:apple: and Steve do not like thinks like these coming out over the weekend...

jemo07
Jan 13, 2008, 10:47 AM
This is obviously fake.

Not because the shot is taken from photoshop, not because the design doesn't follow Apple's product lineup, but because "Kiss your NAS goodbye." is possibly the worst slogan ever and nobody at Apple would ever, in their right mind; use that.

This is the worst FAKE slogan some could possibly come up with :eek::p but it is funny :D

ILL Robinson
Jan 13, 2008, 11:19 AM
With rumors still flying about saying that the tablet-esque Mac being pushed back, this could potentially be a plan B for them.

If it is (and I doubt it), expect the press (and public) to have a field day with the keynote.

pedidoc
Jan 13, 2008, 11:53 AM
Its an untitled photoshop document....

thegman1234
Jan 13, 2008, 12:10 PM

Wow this is EXACTLY what I need. This would be completely magnificent.

Buy the 1TB, Partition it 500/500, and use it for my iTunes and iPhoto libraries and as a backup.

CWallace
Jan 15, 2008, 11:25 AM
Steve just announced the "Time Capsule" wireless NAS/base station. :cool:

tdhurst
Jan 15, 2008, 11:31 AM
Pricey, but I suppose no more so than an AEBX with external drives.

ntrigue
Jan 15, 2008, 11:35 AM
AppleInsider! They were right on...

Verist
Jan 15, 2008, 11:35 AM
Wow, just what I needed, overpriced, slow storage.. saves me that .5 of a second to plug the firewire cable in

Pressure
Jan 15, 2008, 11:38 AM
Pricey, but I suppose no more so than an AEBX with external drives.

Nope and integrated into a small nice package. Hopefully the transfer rate will be much better than with the current AirPort Extreme with a connected harddrive...

CWallace
Jan 15, 2008, 11:38 AM
Wow, just what I needed, overpriced, slow storage.. saves me that .5 of a second to plug the firewire cable in

If you only have one Mac, true.

I have a few, and use a wired Ethernet NAS to allow them all to share. Wireless would be very nice for my iPhone and would save me from having to physically connect my MacBooks.

Verist
Jan 15, 2008, 11:46 AM
If you only have one Mac, true.

I have a few, and use a wired Ethernet NAS to allow them all to share. Wireless would be very nice for my iPhone and would save me from having to physically connect my MacBooks.

Well I'm happy to hear it has some use for a few people, its just that the product didn't really blow my hair back :)

I love Haruhi Suzumiya and you're avatar!

ascender
Jan 15, 2008, 11:51 AM
I'm obviously in the minority then as this is a perfect product for me. One box instead of two in the already crowded and noisy-enough AV cabinet is always good news in my book. And yes, we have 3 Macs to backup so its just what I've been looking for.

Dimwhit
Jan 15, 2008, 12:12 PM
Damn! I just bought an airport base station for our office. But with 4 portable computers in the office, this is the PERFECT product for us. Might have to try to pick this up.

DoFoT9
Jan 15, 2008, 03:06 PM
This is obviously fake.

lol u got shown up....:p

thegman1234
Jan 15, 2008, 03:44 PM
Does this HAVE to be used with Time Machine?

I'm interested in this but I don't yet have Leopard, and I'm not too sure when I'm getting it.

This would be great though, I need a new external and a wireless would be great. I'd prefer not to use it with Time Machine though as I have my own ways that I like to set up my storage.

DoFoT9
Jan 16, 2008, 04:47 AM
Does this HAVE to be used with Time Machine?

I'm interested in this but I don't yet have Leopard, and I'm not too sure when I'm getting it.

This would be great though, I need a new external and a wireless would be great. I'd prefer not to use it with Time Machine though as I have my own ways that I like to set up my storage.

oh wow u raise a great point... can u actually use the thing as storage? or is it ONLY used with time machine for backups????

Devil's Refugee
Jan 16, 2008, 06:26 AM
No, it's also NAS storage, but with a single drive backing up all your content, where are you going to go when it fails ?

It's not RAID so you're fubar'd