PDA

View Full Version : FS: Loaded Dual 2.0GHz PM G5 - $900 (includes shipping) - Sold!

dethl
Jan 12, 2008, 11:35 PM
As a developer I can't keep using my G5 much anymore. Many others have moved over to the Intel side - so I'll be moving over too. I am selling my Power Mac G5 that I have used for a few years now. It still goes strong and has no indication that it's going to stop anytime soon. Specs are as follows:

Note: Bring your own Hard Drive and OS. This system will not come with either. No mouse will come with this system either.

Dual 2.0GHz Power Mac G5
3.5 GB DDR400 RAM (6x 512MB + 2x 256MB)
BFG 256MB GDDR3 nVidia 7800 GS OC (flashed PC card - best AGP card you can get. I paid $180 for this originally and flashed this myself, big thanks to The Mac Elite!)
Sony DRU-500A DVD Burner (slightly gimped as it only writes to DVD+R, however DVD-R drives are cheap and most work in the G5 anyway)
Belkin FireWave - Firewire 5.1 Stereo Sound card. Works like a dream.
New Aluminum Apple Keyboard

Pictures will be posted of the machine. Also posted will be pictures highlighting damage to the case when it was dropped by UPS years ago. You can also tell of some scratch damage on the case as well. This is only cosmetic and the machine runs great!

I am asking $900 OBO for this G5. I will pay for packaging and shipping. I will not part out the machine as I would like to sell it as a whole.

EDIT: Yes I will clean up the machine of any dirt/dust that has accumulated on the case before sending.

EDIT: I'm also going to throw in a SmartDisk Firewire CD-R/RW drive too. I have no use for it and it still works very well.

dethl
Jan 14, 2008, 05:32 PM
If I'm asking too much for this please make me an offer!

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 14, 2008, 07:35 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only person drooling copiously over your Mac. Believe me, I'd Paypal you $900 immediately if I had it. I've been lusting after a G5 for a long time.

I don't know anything about the market value of G5's right now, so I can't help... but it might just be that most of the people with disposable cash right now are waiting for MWSF :-P

CRAZYBUBBA
Jan 14, 2008, 08:02 PM
If I'm asking too much for this please make me an offer!

Not at all... excellent price. maybe time to 'greedbay' it?

panzer06
Jan 14, 2008, 08:04 PM
Can you give me some idea as to the performance characteristics of this system? What Apps do you run? I assume Tiger, CS2 and Microsoft Office 2004 would run quickly on this system. What about OS X Server 10.4?

What sort of hard drives can I install? I have several 300GB & 400GB IDE drives (no SATA) and would like to make use of them.

With the dented case is it a problem getting into the case? How loud is the system when idle? If I wanted to set this up as a dual workstation/server would it be quiet enough to leave on in a work area?

I am considering replacing my Windows Network with a Mac Server and want to make sure this would not be too loud or use too much power. Do you know how many watts it consumes at idle?

Thanks,

dethl
Jan 14, 2008, 08:55 PM
Can you give me some idea as to the performance characteristics of this system? What Apps do you run? I assume Tiger, CS2 and Microsoft Office 2004 would run quickly on this system. What about OS X Server 10.4?

What sort of hard drives can I install? I have several 300GB & 400GB IDE drives (no SATA) and would like to make use of them.

With the dented case is it a problem getting into the case? How loud is the system when idle? If I wanted to set this up as a dual workstation/server would it be quiet enough to leave on in a work area?

I am considering replacing my Windows Network with a Mac Server and want to make sure this would not be too loud or use too much power. Do you know how many watts it consumes at idle?

Thanks,

I run primarily World of Warcraft and Dvd2oneX though I have played many many games on this system. They run with very little problem. Doom 3 is even playable on this system which still amazes me. Microsoft Office runs with no problem. Don't have Photoshop anymore (lost it when moving back to Tiger from Leopard) but it ran very well. I start from boot to desktop in under 30 seconds easy. You should be able to run OS X Server 10.4 with zero issues.

You'll have to install SATA hard drives unless you have a Mac compatible IDE PCI card. The G5 was really made to take SATA though.

The only problem the case causes when opening the side door is that you might have to apply a small amount of pressure to the back handle and lift it slightly to get the door off. Other than that there is no other problems.

I don't know exactly how to describe the system's noise level. All I can say is that its decently quiet (although of course it gets loud when its at full load) . I can say for sure that the graphics card fan is louder than the rest of the system - which should say quite a bit - but not by too much.

Apple rates my Power Mac G5 at 140W when idle and a max of 604W. I'm sure with the graphics card in there its a little higher than 140W when idle but that is still pretty light overall.

mikeyPotg
Jan 14, 2008, 09:59 PM
how much hard drive space do you have? This may be tempting if I can install FCP on it for my students.

dethl
Jan 14, 2008, 10:47 PM
how much hard drive space do you have? This may be tempting if I can install FCP on it for my students.

While I am hesitant I wouldn't be against offering one of my hard drives currently installed in my machine. Right now there are dual 300GB Maxtor Proline III SATA drives. I need one to keep all of my personal data on however I could part with the other one.

EDIT: Should add that the hard drives are enterprise class drives (1 million hours MTTF) I got cheap from OWC as they were clearing them out. There is a 5 year warranty on them (expires in February 2012) too.

mikeyPotg
Jan 17, 2008, 10:30 AM
Payment sent!

dethl
Jan 17, 2008, 02:44 PM
Payment received. Will be shipping out the Mac tomorrow via FedEx.

dethl
Jan 17, 2008, 11:52 PM
I went ahead and shipped the tower via FedEx. I will be shipping the keyboard and other parts that didn't get shipped yet into a separate package and mailed out on Friday.

dethl
Jan 19, 2008, 05:42 PM
Final box sent out. Should all arrive Thursday.

Nichod
Jan 20, 2008, 10:20 PM
Congrats on your purchase. Wish I could have snatched it up.

dethl
Jan 24, 2008, 08:58 PM
FedEx tracking shows both packages were delivered. Waiting on mikey to verify that its all working.

OrangeSVTguy
Jan 24, 2008, 09:03 PM
wow that is such a nice system. i've been wanting one of those. congrats on the buyer! you got one hell of a deal!

mikeyPotg
Jan 25, 2008, 04:43 AM
Its not for me, its for my students! But this thing may make me want to trade my imac for a macpro!

I received it yesterday. The seller, Dethl was awesome! He constantly sent me PM updates regarding shipping. He sent it out within one day of payment, and everything was packed better than UPS would have done. Now I'm excited to get it up and running!

I HIGHLY recommend Dethl in the future! Thanks much.

dethl
Jan 25, 2008, 11:01 AM
mikeyPotg is a great buyer! Very quick payment and did respond to my PMs (even if they were a little excessive...I like to keep people I sell things to up to date as much as possible).

And with that I declare the PM G5 fully SOLD.