PDA

View Full Version : Introducing the MacBook Air?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Jan 13, 2008, 12:29 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

After the banners went up (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/11/macworld-san-francisco-theres-something-in-the-air/) on Friday, we posted the whispers we'd heard (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/06/thin-macbook-specs/) about the upcoming thin Laptop, and that it would be called "MacBook Air".

9to5mac posts (http://9to5mac.com/macbook-air-2453564654) some notes about the history of this name, including a Google cache (http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:-KC3ZK_6EgEJ:www.adiumx.com/sparkle/%3FforceShow%255B%255D%3Dmodel+http://www.adiumx.com/sparkle/%3FforceShow%255B%255D%3Dmodel&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a) record of a computer named "MacBookAir" documented in Adium's usage logs (http://www.adiumx.com/sparkle/?forceShow%5B%5D=model).

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/01/13/132614-macbookair.png

This log entry was made on or before January 9th (based on the cache), well before the Moscone banners were posted.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/13/introducing-the-macbook-air/)

Slip
Jan 13, 2008, 12:30 PM
Hmm, interesting, though quite obscure

Fotek2001
Jan 13, 2008, 12:33 PM
God, how do people find this stuff..?

R0ck-Ch1ck
I've heard rumors about how they are adding a blue-ray drive, which I think is highly unlikely.

TurboSC
Odd, but there could be a possibility. I think it's pretty clear an ultra-portable will be announced at this point, it's just waiting until MW or some spy shot slip ups.

Roy Hobbs
Jan 13, 2008, 12:34 PM
I sure hope not, that name is HORRIBLE

Bradley W
_

zioxide
Jobs is laughing his ass off right now.

This "Macbook Air" name is way too big of a stretch. Just because Apple posted a banner that had the word Air in it, the new product is automatically going to be called Air? lol.

DCBass
macbook air.... kind of like it. reminds me of nike air, though i think the marketing and name can only go so far, unlike, say, 'nano' or 'mini'. also, i keep on thinking of frisbees when i see 'macbook air'.

then again, i'm quite sick of 'nano' and 'mini'.

man... is this weekend lasting forever or what?! monday is going to feel 52 hours long...

liveexpo
Jan 13, 2008, 12:35 PM
Sweet. Just hope its small enough to take traveling, yet powerful enough to power my 20 ACD...

mcarnes
bunch of hot air if you ask me

Peace
I said it before and I'll say it again.Those Adium stats are based on "user submissions"

Anybody could have typed in Macbook Air.

Bradley W
_

odyssey924
Jan 13, 2008, 12:36 PM
Hmm... Macbook Air is a funny name...

MarlboroLite
Jan 13, 2008, 12:37 PM
What a horrible horrible name. Wow...absolutely ridiculous! MacBook Air? What does it fly??

I can't believe some people in Apple are getting paid seven figures to come up with names like MacBook Air?

I'm not saying people won't buy it due to the name, it wouldn't deter me, but I can't but feel a little embarrassed about that name...:cool:

iMpathetic
Jan 13, 2008, 12:37 PM
http://img.skitch.com/20080113-m4wq2ss2dbqr7b5jgikkms3j5e.jpg
Credit to MacBoy108 for the cute dog!

Lone Deranger
Jan 13, 2008, 12:38 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what on earth is a Google cache record? :confused:

Bradley W
_

Krafty
I guess Apple is trying to hard to be creative.

shecky
I sure hope not, that name is HORRIBLE

What a horrible horrible name.

the exact same things were said about the name "macbook" and "macbook pro" when it came out.

bdkennedy1
Jan 13, 2008, 12:39 PM
If that's truly what it will be called then Apple with have a huge hit on their hands. That would be an excellent name.

vtprinz
I said it before and I'll say it again.Those Adium stats are based on "user submissions"

Perhaps, although the fact that it showed up before the banners were posted is a little curious.

I certainly hope it's false though. I agree with a few others that the name is terrible.

Bradley W
_

View
Jan 13, 2008, 12:40 PM
MacBook Air.... I totally agree that this is a horrible name! May be it has an A/C built-in!

DMann
Jan 13, 2008, 12:41 PM
What a horrible horrible name. Wow...absolutely ridiculous! MacBook Air? What does it fly??

I can't believe some people in Apple are getting paid seven figures to come up with names like MacBook Air?

I'm not saying people won't buy it due to the name, it wouldn't deter me, but I can't but feel a little embarrassed about that name...:cool:

Why not? The dual processor upgrade will be called.... 'MacBook Helium'

Eric Lewis
Steve Jobs is likely reading this and pissing his pants off

FoxyKaye

Beat me to the punch, Peace. But in essence, I have the same question, "so what?" It's not like Adium pulls directly from the system ID, and if it did, the systems wouldn't be given arbitrary names but listed by Apple's definition of model name and processor type (e.g. "iMac G5," "PowerMac8,2").

p0intblank
That is a horrible name... Apple would never go with it.

View
Jan 13, 2008, 12:42 PM
the exact same things were said about the name "macbook" and "macbook pro" when it came out.

But I liked the name "MacBook" and "MacBook Pro" when I first heard them though.

Cloudane
It's an ugly name. But just because it's ugly doesn't make it any less likely to happen. Fatpod anyone?

Peace
Perhaps, although the fact that it showed up before the banners were posted is a little curious.

I certainly hope it's false though. I agree with a few others that the name is terrible.

All that proves is Apple is indeed feeding wrong info to rumor sites. They knew someone would catch that and here we are.;)

CoreWeb

For all we know it could be someone who was involved in the making of the banners doing a bit of their own speculation. A bit of a coincidence, though.

Prof.
I really hope that is not the name of the new MacBook. It doesn't sound like an Apple name. I don't like it.

plumbingandtech
Jan 13, 2008, 12:43 PM

replace pissing with laughing and you will be much closer to the truth.

devilot
Jan 13, 2008, 12:43 PM
the exact same things were said about the name "macbook" and "macbook pro" when it came out.Yup. And I still feel that way. :p

travishill
Jan 13, 2008, 12:44 PM

-Those stats are automatically generated from the app. While someone *could* have manually looked through the code/packets and sent them in themselves, it isn't likely.

-The biggest factor is that the MacBookAir entry there appeared before the banners went up.

Looks pretty legit to me...

Lone Deranger
Jan 13, 2008, 12:44 PM
Ah.. I see. Thank you for the explanation Bradley W. :)

As for the name MacBook Air... it's still better than MacBook Bicycle (http://folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=Bicycle.txt). :D

When you do a google search, google looks inside its database of websites and the text on them. The Google cache of that page is the copy google has in its database.

Mac-Addict
Jan 13, 2008, 12:46 PM
That is a horrible name... Apple would never go with it.

I agree with Dave (Youtube xD) Macbook Air does seem something Microsoft would come up.

MarlboroLite
Jan 13, 2008, 12:48 PM

Sure, though I think there is a difference. The name macbook is fine in terms of what it describes, a mac notebook...putting the word air is a description of it's weight or thinness is ludicrous considering that people mostly associate things with the word "air" in it as something to do with flying.

Apple would be much better off naming it mini or nano, considering those words are strongly associated with things that are small and with Apple itself due to the success of the iPod versions. Sorry but MacBook Air is just plain dumb, much much much dumber than the switch to "macbook" ever was.

salvatorereda
Jan 13, 2008, 12:49 PM
"Macbook Air" was just registered on 01.11.08 as a .com

Here is another toy to waste 999$

"people use your brains and stop watching tv"

DMann
Jan 13, 2008, 12:50 PM
This just in..........

The leak specifies that it will be called the "MacBook Something...."

not "MacBook Air," which was surmised by an error in interpretation.

plumbingandtech
Jan 13, 2008, 12:51 PM
If this was the true name, Apple would of purchased the name long before Macworld.

End of Story.

Really?

End of Story?

http://www.macbookpro.com/

FoxyKaye
Jan 13, 2008, 12:52 PM
If this was the true name, Apple would of purchased the name long before Macworld.

End of Story.
Right, because http://www.macbook.com and http://www.macbookpro.com redirect straight to Apple. :rolleyes:

DMann
Jan 13, 2008, 12:52 PM
replace pissing with laughing and you will be much closer to the truth.

Laugh hard enough............

nintapple
Jan 13, 2008, 12:53 PM
A black MacBook Air would be a little strange though?

yea that'd be... smog?

razorianfly
Come on, they name their OS releases after big cats.

The 'i' branding is wearing now, to say the least.

It doesn't matter what they call it, whether it be Macbook Air, AirBook or Oxygen, you know your still going to buy it. You know why? - Because Steve Jobs will convince you, that you actually need it. Like everything else Apple releases, impulse buys.

It's the Apple way.

Warbrain

Which still sound awful to me. Just have to deal, though.

-Those stats are automatically generated from the app. While someone *could* have manually looked through the code/packets and sent them in themselves, it isn't likely.

-The biggest factor is that the MacBookAir entry there appeared before the banners went up.

I don't believe. I suspect that someone could've edited it or had some previous knowledge to let us on. But we'll see, I've been wrong many times before

Why would Apple take something like "Air" when they could call it the MacBook nano and they would know that people would understand it better as it's already part of a model line.

paja
Jan 13, 2008, 12:54 PM
Air Could be a Mac subnotebook with EDGE network access.

aswitcher
Jan 13, 2008, 12:54 PM

Agreed. Maybe just a coincidence then.

Jan 13, 2008, 12:55 PM

This "Macbook Air" name is way too big of a stretch. Just because Apple posted a banner that had the word Air in it, the new product is automatically going to be called Air? lol.

It's not a stretch, it's REAL...exactly what SJ would use for new light notebook...not to mention that "macbookair.com" was registered in January...:rolleyes:

http://www.adiumx.com/sparkle/?forceShow%5B%5D=model

http://applescoop.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/01/domain-name-mac.html

brad.c
Jan 13, 2008, 12:55 PM
bunch of hot air if you ask me

Which is what people will say if it runs as hot as the bigger boys.

Palestrina
Jan 13, 2008, 12:56 PM
They wouldn't call it Macbook Lite I don't think, because it sounds wimpy. (Who likes Lite Beer?)

Macbook Air sounds as outdated as my 1989 Air Jordans sitting in some landfill somewhere. I'm sure many of us won't like what it's called at first, but we'll come around because we'll like the product so much. I mean, who doesn't like their MBP? I just came from a 2 day conference and EVERY clinician used one for their presentation.

Palestrina

queshy
Jan 13, 2008, 12:56 PM
I really hope it isn't lame sort of like this past year's WWDC.

If MWSF is just a bunch of talking about how successful Apple is, and then perhaps a 16 gb iPhone or something, I'll be very upset.

mojopixel
Jan 13, 2008, 12:57 PM
...so would that mean that the new machine is a variant of the Macbook and not the Macbook Pro?

runninmac
Jan 13, 2008, 12:57 PM
Well I like the name, it seems... 'fresh'

travishill
Jan 13, 2008, 12:58 PM
Why would Apple take something like "Air" when they could call it the MacBook nano and they would know that people would understand it better as it's already part of a model line.

...and why did Apple shift from PowerBook to MacBook Pro? I doubt I'll ever fully understand all of their naming decisions. :)

jellocat
Jan 13, 2008, 12:59 PM
yes yes, macbook was hated to. if this is it, you'll get used to it, etc etc.

so how small can these names go? what's next?

mini > nano > air > (?)

2010 macworld announcment: Mac Helium? Mac Hydrogen?

^_^

Warbrain
Jan 13, 2008, 12:59 PM
...so would that mean that the new machine is a variant of the Macbook and not the Macbook Pro?

Or is that to say that MacBook is the brand but pro is the specificity of the model?

...and why did Apple shift from PowerBook to MacBook Pro? I doubt I'll ever fully understand all of their naming decisions. :)

That's an entirely different thing, though. They already have the iPod nano, why not make the MacBook nano. It would be a good usage of what you already have and what people already know.

Matiek
Jan 13, 2008, 01:00 PM
I think that MBA is a horrible name, it doesn't feel as timeless as the Macbook or the Macbook pro, it sounds cheap and gimmicky. I do think it's the real name, though. I think Apple is just referencing the external optical drive and that it will be wireless.

Eric Lewis
Jan 13, 2008, 01:01 PM
Well Macbook Water = Macbook 02

So Macbook Air = (whatever the forumla is?)

Bonte
Jan 13, 2008, 01:02 PM
I only asked for a small tablet, not a 13' Macbook :(

Why add a keyboard when it needs to be so thin they kill the optical drive?

timestamp
Didn't people say the Nintendo Wii was a terrible name, but now they love it?

I think if this notebook holds true to its proposed name of "Air," the name is a good name.

sam10685
I wanted to do the spoiler free video thing tuesday night. Oh well, just saw the name and doesn't sound real anyway.

Warbrain
Well Macbook Water = Macbook 02

So Macbook Air = (whatever the forumla is?)

Variety of gases, mostly nitrogen?

digitalbiker
Jan 13, 2008, 01:03 PM

Because Apple quit making Power PC based machines. If you were paying attention, the name shift occurred because Apple went intel.

Eric Lewis
Jan 13, 2008, 01:03 PM
Air = composed of nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, trace gases.

So the 4 products are

Macbook NITRO
Macbook OXYO
Macbook C02
Macbook GAS

RichP
Jan 13, 2008, 01:04 PM

yeah, this sounds like it is going to be a cheaper, low end machine, based on the name. The small market breaks down into two categories essentially: the ultra low-end (asus eepC) and the ultra high end (sony vaio) The ultra low end is an emerging market, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple take a go at it. I don't imagine these machines costing 300 like the asus, but perhaps, 600-800. No optical..some sort of small flash drive, etc.

edit: I personally would like to see a pro model, 2K, basically a 13" MBP half the thickness of the current machines.

beppo
Jan 13, 2008, 01:04 PM
I think that when
They say Air it is short for
macbook air and when they say there's something in the air they are saying that it is so small that it would be hard to imagine that there is anything I'm
it

chuckles:)
Jan 13, 2008, 01:06 PM
The problem with 'air' compared to 'mini' or 'nano' is that it says nothing about the product. 'mini' and 'nano' both mean small. air doesn't mean anything.

iNev
Jan 13, 2008, 01:07 PM
Curious indeed.

Anybody else notice that there was a reference to the Apple TV in the same part of the Adium logs?

dalvin200

maybe on a Asus EEEEEEE Peeceeeeeee level :D

moesker007
I have to agree, MacBook Air just doesn't sound too great. Hopefully that's not the name..if it is well then it is lol. But as a few of you guys said, those logs aren't too legit. Ohh how I can't wait for the 15th! Luckily I have lame-o classes that I can easily zone out and watch macrumors

MrCrowbar
Jan 13, 2008, 01:08 PM
Well, this part is interesting (from the article):

One of our readers, Jon Cotton, found a mention of a "MacBook Air" on one of Adium's usage log reports. Subsequent verification from Google Cache reveals that this log entry was made on January 9th, BEFORE the Macworld posters were revealed. Therefore, someone would have had to have known about the posters and made the reference to "Air".

It's possible someone saw the banners before we did and somehow made his Mac show up as "Macbook Air" to play a trick on us all. Since this thing is not yet out in the wild, I doubt someone at Apple installed Adium on it just for the hell of it. If this thing exist and runs OSX, why test if Adium works with it? I would have understood if they tested Photoshop or something to benchmark it since Steve likes to show scores for new hardware. Adobe software likes "calling home".

Or this is legit and someone out there has one and is using it. 27 hours to go and we'll know. When the Macbook came out, it was rumored to get that name and I just typed "http://www.apple.com/macbook/" in the address bar hoping it would pop out. And it did, and was the first to post it in these forums, even before steve announced it.

So on K-day (keynote day), just make up hardware names and put it in the URL (example http://www.apple.com/macbookair/) and refresh like crazy during the keynote.

soapsuds
If it really is called the Macbook Air, I wonder if the "air" refers to wireless, a la Airport, and not just the lightness of the device itself. Perhaps it comes with a wireless base station with optical drive, and some ability to get to it on the road through .mac or something.

dalvin200
Curious indeed.

Anybody else notice that there was a reference to the Apple TV in the same part of the Adium logs?

yep..

i'm expecting an apple tv update where you can buy stuff off of iTMS (like on iPhone)..

Apple sure is hyping up the climax... let's just hope it lives up to it.. otherwise it's our own faults for (always) expecting too much and then feeling deflated.. lol!!

rainmanbk
Jan 13, 2008, 01:09 PM
It's been said before and I'll say it again, MacBook Air is just stupid. There's NO WAY Apple would ever release a computer and call it that. Seriously, think about it.. Apple isn't going to use Air to describe its lightweight when it could just as easily use mini or nano. It's been said before and I'll say it again. Just quit it with the 'MacBook Air' it's just such a bad name there's no way it could be real.

music.addict411
Jan 13, 2008, 01:10 PM
MacBook Air, sounds kinda cool.

What I was thinking is that this new MacBook "Air" would kind of replace Mac Mini, not that I dont like mac mini.

I mean, I want it to cost the same as the mac mini ($700) A little, not to powerful, cheap but good laptop.

a MacTop.

Ibjr
Jan 13, 2008, 01:11 PM
My guess? Airport Express moves to draftN. Not the main announcement but it will be one of them.

James Craner
Ok - This is just my thoughts - but for me the penny has just dropped.

People are saying that Macbook Air is a daft name for a notebook - which may be true. But what is its not a notebook and it is in fact a 13" tablet, with flash memory. Then Macbook Air makes complete sense (well to me anyway). because the storage space is limited as its flash, you would need to connect to a Mac or PC ( to access files, movies and music ) the reason that is called Air is this is how you can access your files due to the limited storage space, Movies and Music can then stream to the device. There was also a patent that was recently posted that showed a docking station that looked a bit like a iMac / Cinema display that you could put your Notebook into, using its display as a screen.

Just speculation on my part - but to me that explains the 'air' part of the name.

Hmac
I've heard rumors about how they are adding a blue-ray drive, which I think is highly unlikely.
The rumors I've heard indicate it has NO optical drive. External only. I'm sure an external BluRay will be available for it someday, though.

Hmac
Jan 13, 2008, 01:12 PM
My guess? Airport Express moves to draftN.Unlikely to merit a banner IMHO.

Martin C
Jan 13, 2008, 01:12 PM

Did you read the original post? MacBookAir came up in the cache prior to the date that the banners were hung at Moscone.

confirmed
Jan 13, 2008, 01:13 PM

and let's not forget the iPod. from the iPod announcement thread..
" iPod?
iPoop... iCry. I was so hoping for something more."

and by the way, check out the original MacRumors iPod announcement post (http://www.macrumors.com/2001/10/23/apples-new-thing-ipod/).. "Rating (133 Positives; 173 Negatives)" it's crazy to think how wrong we were.

webnilan
Jan 13, 2008, 01:14 PM
As for me "Mac Book Air" sounds great!!! Much better then Mac Book Pro. Air give me associations with "light", "high", "pro", "modern", "fresh", "active style" :-) Something this!

Wonderful name.

P.S. I live in Ukraine, so because of this I may have no your "plane" associations :-)

e12a
Jan 13, 2008, 01:14 PM
It's been said before and I'll say it again, MacBook Air is just stupid. There's NO WAY Apple would ever release a computer and call it that. Seriously, think about it.. Apple isn't going to use Air to describe its lightweight when it could just as easily use mini or nano. It's been said before and I'll say it again. Just quit it with the 'MacBook Air' it's just such a bad name there's no way it could be real.

you should see the huge thread on people bashing the ipod right here on macrumors before it was even released.

takao
Jan 13, 2008, 01:15 PM
yeah, this sounds like it is going to be a cheaper, low end machine, based on the name. The small market breaks down into two categories essentially: the ultra low-end (asus eepC) and the ultra high end (sony vaio) The ultra low end is an emerging market, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple take a go at it. I don't imagine these machines costing 300 like the asus, but perhaps, 600-800. No optical..some sort of small flash drive, etc.

edit: I personally would like to see a pro model, 2K, basically a 13" MBP half the thickness of the current machines.

word ... ultra portables are totally split up currently since the introduction of the EEE ... and while apple sure won't offer something in that price bracket i'm sure they haven't missed the general influence of the sub 999 notebook market, which over the last 2 year, has become the dominating factor in the notebook market

i suspect apple will, over the time, reposition the current macbook more as their middle class laptop (after all it's price for sure is already) with better specs in the GPU and hard drive side and come up with a product below to counter the current lower laptop market

twoodcc
Jan 13, 2008, 01:15 PM
alright. i hope it's true. can't wait til tuesday! less than 46 hours!

! V !
Jan 13, 2008, 01:16 PM

I remember a time when the banner for the iPod Touch was up and MR users said, "well no way is this new iPod going to be called touch."

Moments later, Steve Jobs announces it with the name iPod "Touch."

Never say never, stranger names have been thrown about. :)

Surely
Why would Adium be privy to the name of a new Apple product before it is introduced?

Am I missing something here?

I'll believe that this is the new name of a Mac laptop when I see it.

aussie_geek
MacBook Touch or Mac Touch seems to be more fitting. We are getting desperate searching the chat caches..

2 More days!!

aussie_geek

aswitcher
Jan 13, 2008, 01:18 PM
New Airport Expresses/AppleTVs that were draft N and had HDMI out allowing them to be slaved to an AppleTV. So a Mini AppleTV and the new RevB bigger better AppleTV. Removing Macs from the loop for entry level home users.

! V !
Jan 13, 2008, 01:19 PM
alright. i hope it's true. can't wait til tuesday! less than 46 hours!

You realize what sucks about all this news, I am traveling the day the keynote is taking place. What sucks even more is I wanted a notebook that would allow me to surf the net and didn't want to take my MBP along for the trip and the iPod Touch was out of the question with no secure WiFi options (at present).

I would bought this new Air MacBook if it were released and delivered a week in advance. :(

Matiek
Jan 13, 2008, 01:20 PM
Air has to be a reference to a wireless external drive and possible WAN capabilities.

Digital Skunk
Jan 13, 2008, 01:20 PM
Nice but can we get some hardware with real Pro features Apple? I was eyeballing an HP laptop that could hold TWO HARD DRIVES in the case as well as a bunch of ports and what not.

Come on Apple. Make the MacBook Pro into a real PRO laptop. :mad:

rstansby
Jan 13, 2008, 01:21 PM
Same here.
I just love these pre announcement threads. Somebody guessed that there might be a new computer called the MacBook Air and dozens of people have complained about how stupid Apple is for choosing this name.

daneoni
For frig sake why not just keep it simple and call it AirBook or even MacBook Lite. MacBook Air, sounds like a laptop that farts.

Meh...people are gonna end up calling it the AirBook anyway

! V !
Why would Adium be privy to the name of a new Apple product before it is introduced?

Am I missing something here?

I believe those are the computer model names that AdiumX is being used on. :)

We have had posts to forums in May 2007 a month or so before the iPhone was officially released to the public, it does not sound that far fetched. :)

macsensei
who cares about the name. You guys know that if the specs are off the wall you would not care if the they called it Macbook Sparkles. You would still be in line at your local apple store trying to get you a Macbook Sparkles.

blueflame
Jan 13, 2008, 01:23 PM
BEAT ME TO IT!

Yup. And I still feel that way. :p

DMann
Jan 13, 2008, 01:24 PM

Power was dropped from PowerBook to emphasize the switch from PowerPC processors to Intel. MacBook seems a better name choice than IntelBook.

Ibjr
Jan 13, 2008, 01:27 PM
Nice but can we get some hardware with real Pro features Apple? I was eyeballing an HP laptop that could hold TWO HARD DRIVES in the case as well as a bunch of ports and what not.

How on earth is that a real pro machine? Apple doesn't make balky desktop replacements that needlessly drain power with a second HD.

! V !
Jan 13, 2008, 01:27 PM

Seriously with HDD capacity on the rise, and your requirement for some RAID solution onboard a notebook is just scary, what happens if you lose or your notebook gets stolen, scary thought.

Better solution is to have a back-up on an external HDD at home, and kept in a safe place.

A Flash drive and HDD combo solution would be best. :D

For frig sake why not just keep it simple and call it AirBook or even MacBook Lite. MacBook Air, sounds like a laptop that farts.

Meh...people are gonna end up calling it the AirBook anyway

The dream for having a full-sized computing device has always been a dream, since we already have handheld lite computing devices (iPhone/Touch/PDA/SmartPhone) the dream will be reality in a day+. :)

peharri
Jan 13, 2008, 01:28 PM
Hey, isn't it nice to have a Mac show where the major rumour is about a Mac, not a phone, an iPod, a TV set-top box, or anything else that isn't a Mac?

nagromme
Jan 13, 2008, 01:29 PM
I like that name much better than MacBook Nano, MacBook Mini, MacBook Slim, MacBook Thin, MacBook Small, or 13" MacBook Pro.

But it;s just a name. I care a lot more about getting something as thin/small as possible that still has the power I need. 13" is the biggest I could be happy with. X3100 (once better drivers are out) is the minimum graphics power. For the processor, dual-core-anything would blow away my old PBG4.

I'm not hoping for a tablet: tablets are neat, but a compromise. Keyboards have a reason for existing. If I'm going to compromise, give me some benefit: make the device REALLY small/portable. Full-size (even 13") with no keyboard? What's the benefit? Too little to be worth it unless your job requires both a full screen AND standing up. We already have really small/portable tablets: iPhone and iPod Touch. They just need February's SDK.

AoWolf
Jan 13, 2008, 01:29 PM
Macbook air works just fine for me. Every time apple makes the slightest change in image people freak out.

In any case I wouldn't consider this very credible evidence.

MrCrowbar
Jan 13, 2008, 01:30 PM
Damn, someone already put an unpacking video up. This is it, rumor confirmed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H85WFa7TgMk

Gotcha, right?
Here's the real unpacking video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU[/url]

Tallest Skil
Jan 13, 2008, 01:31 PM
Macbook Sparkles.

MacBook Sparkles: best name ever. I'm not buying another Apple laptop until they release one with that name.

But I don't want it to have any actual sparkles on it. Too feminine. Make it the most kick-awesomely designed thing ever: Glossy black, .1" thick, fluorescent blue outline multi-touch interface area...

You could name it Big McLargeHuge for all I care. That design would rock.

But MacBook Sparkles all the way.

! V !
Jan 13, 2008, 01:31 PM
How on earth is that a real pro machine? Apple doesn't make balky desktop replacements that needlessly drain power with a second HD.

The user you quoted is just misinformed in his statement, as he is looking for a "wow" or "stand-out" factor from other laptops. I am sure this person does not even use a MBP for mobile work situations and might have a laptop for the brags.

Require a second HDD get an external that way you do not have the hassle of having it stolen, lost, carrying extra weight when you do not require it, or drain your battery power rapidly. Cheaper to buy an external WD Passport HDD.

Ade-iMac-177
Jan 13, 2008, 01:32 PM
I assume that people believe that this is a prototype that is being tested on current software.

Well, No way!

Apple is not that slack as to have a prototype with the same name as the final device.

Sorry.

DMann
Jan 13, 2008, 01:33 PM
Or is that to say that MacBook is the brand but pro is the specificity of the model?

That's an entirely different thing, though. They already have the iPod nano, why not make the MacBook nano. It would be a good usage of what you already have and what people already know.

This is the name they would most likely use. Mini has been used for the original 12" notebook, and Nano, having brand recognition, implies even smaller, perhaps the lightest fully-functioned laptop in the industry. Air?
not unless it has no HD, and relies solely on networking and docking.

2A Batterie
Jan 13, 2008, 01:33 PM
So if this Macbook Air does come to fruition, will it sacrifice power for portability? I know this is all speculation, but there is no way I'd buy an "Air" if it was less powerful than a MBP.

512ke
Jan 13, 2008, 01:34 PM
Think about "the elements." Apple was pushing FIRE wire. FIRE is a cool element. Hot. Burning. Powerful. Illuminating. Warming. Dangerous.

AIR is kinda weak. An AIR HEAD is a ditzy person. AEROSOLS have been banned. AIR sounds too much like HAIR. And I'd never buy a MacBook Hair.

AIR also sounds too much like ERR, as in "to make a mistake."

AIR suggests insubstantial. Vaporware. Not solid. Not real.

If there's a product to be announced, it's not "the air." It's "in" the air.

The product won't have the name "air." It will have the name of something "in" the air, such as: A plane, a kite, or a bird.

ntrigue
I wish I had time to photoshop a Michael Jordan leap onto a MacBook case.

zlinger

I bet an Apple engineer accidently connected a prototype MacBook Air to the internet. Once they realized what they did, they ran for the ethernet cable to yank it out.. but damnn... there are no cables and ports -- it's an MBA! Quick...run and unplug the Airport Extreme.. few seconds too late:D

nagromme
Jan 13, 2008, 01:35 PM

Gotcha, right?

Riiiigth.... with the word "air" crudely gouged (by pencil-holes?) into the foam OFF-center, next to the alreay-centered word "MacBook." :rolleyes:

That clue came too early. But we must enjoy the tradition of these attempts :)

MrCrowbar
Jan 13, 2008, 01:41 PM
Riiiigth.... with the word "air" crudely gouged (by pencil-holes?) into the foam OFF-center, next to the alreay-centered word "MacBook." :rolleyes:

That clue came too early. But we must enjoy the tradition of these attempts :)

Well, now that you have quoted me, you should see my disguised link to the actual unpacking video. :o

saxman
Jan 13, 2008, 01:42 PM
There are lots of misnomers and inconsistency in lots of technology, especially Apple.

i = originally was for Internet. How many products with 'i' actually connect to Internet directly other than the iMac (or touch or iphone)?
iPod - until the "touch" when did the iPod directly connect to Internet?
Mac pro - why is there no "mac" if there is a MB and MBP? (I know the reasons)
express vs. extreme? Seems like express would be faster, but currently, it's slower.
iBook vs PowerBook - both used PowerPC chips
Calling operating systems after big cats? Is a leopard 'newer' than a tiger which is 'newer' than a panther which is 'newer' than a puma?

Lots of inconsistencies and wacky naming conventions. If it is Macbook Air, then it's because professional marketing thought it was a good idea. I still dislike macbook and macbook pro, but it won't preclude me from buying them

DMann
Jan 13, 2008, 01:43 PM
who cares about the name. You guys know that if the specs are off the wall you would not care if the they called it Macbook Sparkles. You would still be in line at your local apple store trying to get you a Macbook Sparkles.

This is true.......... however, I would be more inclined to buy one immediately if it sported a Flux Capacitor running at 4 GHZ.

MrCrowbar
Jan 13, 2008, 01:44 PM
I bet an Apple engineer accidently connected a prototype MacBook Air to the internet. Once they realized what they did, they ran for the ethernet cable to yank it out.. but damnn... there are no cables and ports -- it's an MBA! Quick...run and unplug the Airport Extreme.. few seconds too late:D

Well, Airport is on by default and there's probably a bunch of open networks in that building. But to show up in the logs, the user would have had to either download or use Adium.

...right? :confused:

! V !
Jan 13, 2008, 01:47 PM
There are lots of misnomers and inconsistency in lots of technology, especially Apple.

i = originally was for Internet. How many products with 'i' actually connect to Internet directly other than the iMac (or touch or iphone)?
iPod - until the "touch" when did the iPod directly connect to Internet?
Mac pro - why is there no "mac" if there is a MB and MBP? (I know the reasons)
express vs. extreme? Seems like express would be faster, but currently, it's slower.
iBook vs PowerBook - both used PowerPC chips
Calling operating systems after big cats? Is a leopard 'newer' than a tiger which is 'newer' than a panther which is 'newer' than a puma?

Lots of inconsistencies and wacky naming conventions. If it is Macbook Air, then it's because professional marketing thought it was a good idea. I still dislike macbook and macbook pro, but it won't preclude me from buying them

The name "Power" has more influential stigma than one with a generic one such as "Mac" which basically mean friend.

I would take Power over Friend any day. ;)

DMann
Jan 13, 2008, 01:47 PM

Two drives would throw off the portability factor....... then again, a true pro would order a SURFACE table for portability - comes with its own forklift.

Padriac
Jan 13, 2008, 01:48 PM
Why does everybody assume "Macbook Air" is simply about the weight of it? It could have just as much to do with integrated WiMax or something of that nature. So far Apple has always used "Air" to designate a wireless connection.

Seriously: "Air" is not about the weight of the thing...

! V !
Jan 13, 2008, 01:49 PM
Well, Airport is on by default and there's probably a bunch of open networks in that building. But to show up in the logs, the user would have had to either download or use Adium.

...right? :confused:

What if someone was using iChat to test for a demo that will take place during the keynote?

If that were true they might have been testing various chat networks, or possible accidently logged in using AdiumX.

or

AdiumX is being integrated into iChat. :D

BobVB
Jan 13, 2008, 01:50 PM
Its always funny to see people have negative reactions verge on the visceral to a product name. I mean this is going to be a light computer, no one has heard the phrase 'light as air' before?

Now MacBook Sewage - that would be a 'horrible' 'stupid' name. MacBook Air is at worst a 'eh?' one. ;)

! V !
Jan 13, 2008, 01:51 PM
Its always funny to see people have negative reactions verge on the visceral to a product name. I mean this is going to be a light computer, no one has heard the phrase 'light as air' before?

Now MacBook Sewage - that would be a 'horrible' 'stupid' name. MacBook Air is at worst a 'eh?' one. ;)

Were you not aware that Toxic Green is the colour this year. :D

Peace
Jan 13, 2008, 01:52 PM
What if someone was using iChat to test for a demo that will take place during the keynote?

If that were true they might have been testing various chat networks, or possible accidently logged in using AdiumX.

or

AdiumX is being integrated into iChat. :D

This doesn't take an idiot.What if Apple knew a lot of Mac users use Adium ?

Add it up.

Apple is putting out a lot of false info right now I can guarantee that.And MacRumors is setting itself up for a prank.

decksnap
Jan 13, 2008, 01:52 PM
The name is good I think. It's amazing how people scream like it's not even possible. It's very Apple I think, wether or not it's true. Simple and clean.

Twilight Elk
Jan 13, 2008, 01:54 PM

The same goes for Un-Apple products like the Wii, or Google :o

t0mat0
Why does everybody assume "Macbook Air" is simply about the weight of it? It could have just as much to do with integrated WiMax or something of that nature. So far Apple has always used "Air" to designate a wireless connection.

Seriously: "Air" is not about the weight of the thing...

Seconded - even the 9to5mac poll doesn't take into account Air might = wireless products/services as a theme.

DMann

Gotcha, right?

Introducing the MacBook INVISA....... inspired by SNL

WannaGoMac
Jan 13, 2008, 01:56 PM
What about if they are setting up a deal with the airlines etc for wireless while you fly?

archurban
Jan 13, 2008, 02:00 PM

yeah, it's funny. do you remember when ipod touch was introduced? the name was funny too. Apple TV was the same. so macbook air will be familiar soon just like touch.

izzle22
Jan 13, 2008, 02:00 PM
Maybe Something In The Air has something to do with Airtunes. Like a remote to control iTunes with the capabilities to buy, rent, or surf the internet. I've been waiting on this for years. I guess just wishful thinking.:confused:

Cloudsurfer
Jan 13, 2008, 02:01 PM
That name is so incredibly silly and corny... I don't think this is the name of the product.

chicagostars
Jan 13, 2008, 02:01 PM
But would a dorky name, as many here believe 'MacBook Air' to be, seriously prevent anyone here from buying a product if it fit your needs?

Two days to go; hopefully the keynote will prove to be as entertaining as some of the rumors and rumor reaction.

Matiek
Jan 13, 2008, 02:02 PM
An apple made notebook under for under $750 would be an amazing PC killer. Most of my friends drool over Mac but can't afford one. This would go along way to closing the gap if this is a "sub notebook"

hotsauce
Jan 13, 2008, 02:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I'll be getting my MBA soon. And I didn't even have to go to school.

PruneTracy
Jan 13, 2008, 02:03 PM

seriously! that's what i've been thinking! the banner said "there's something in the air"--it could just as well be called the "macbook something" or "there's mac!"

I just keep my hopes as absolutely low as possible, so when it comes I won't be upset... like every other year after i read all the things that "could" have been

DMann
Jan 13, 2008, 02:04 PM

Actually, i also stood for 'intelligent' and 'interactive' at the time the iMac was introduced.

mackiwi
Jan 13, 2008, 02:05 PM
I think Macbook Air is a good name.

using a nano or mini suffixes would imply a lesser or budget machine, like how the ipod nano & mini are/were less in features than their big brother counterparts. Plus the macbook is already the little brother of the macbook pro.

Calling it the macbook air is similar to the naming of the ipod touch - its different to the ipod classic, but is not seen as the budget version.

So you will have the Macbbok "classic" with the macbook air alongside with different features - not less.

oh and the tablet will be the iphone pro, with 16GB, twice as large a screen and 3G. current iphone will remain but have a price drop. just my 2 cents.:)

Virgil-TB2
Jan 13, 2008, 02:06 PM
the exact same things were said about the name "macbook" and "macbook pro" when it came out.I remember a tiny bit of griping about those names, but mostly I think they were practical and well-liked as far as these monikers go. Memories differ of course but that's my recollection.

The thing I find interesting about the "MacBook Air" name is that Apple has a habit of naming it's products after the most obvious, desirable and key features they posses. This suggests to me that the most "in your face" feature about the product will be the way it uses wireless, and not the size.

If the key feature of the proposed new laptop was it's sub-notebook size, it would be "MacBook Nano" or "MacBook Lite." This is starting to make me think that there is NOT a sub-notebook in the offing at all, which is pretty shocking if true (given the popularity of that market segment lately.)

While a super-thin aluminium MacBook using the 13.5" screen parts, with some kind of cool ubiquitous networking would be nice, I was really hoping for the sub-notebook instead.

I'm all confused as to what will be announced now.

I'm still leaning towards this being a fake name as "AirBook," or even resurrecting the "iBook" name, would be a much better choice IMO for what is being touted as a game-changing portable lappie.

DMann
Jan 13, 2008, 02:07 PM
What about if they are setting up a deal with the airlines etc for wireless while you fly?

Now, wouldn't this be a boon to the airline industry? Air travel will immediately increase at a 20% rate.

swordfish5736
Jan 13, 2008, 02:07 PM
am i the only one thinking about the 700mhz network auction coming up pretty soon.

DMann
Jan 13, 2008, 02:10 PM
I'm still leaning towards this being a fake name as "AirBook," or even resurrecting the "iBook" name, would be a much better choice IMO for what is being touted as a game-changing portable lappie.

The scenario changes greatly however, if it utilizes an AIRBus.

saxman
Jan 13, 2008, 02:11 PM

Actually, i also stood for 'intelligent' and 'interactive' at the time the iMac was introduced.

I did not know that. I sit corrected. Then it should have been the iiMac (-;

But I guess the Macs at the time weren't intelligent or interactive then?

rhyndu
Jan 13, 2008, 02:14 PM

And that HP is what, 10lbs?

Catfish_Man
Jan 13, 2008, 02:14 PM
Beat me to the punch, Peace. But in essence, I have the same question, "so what?" It's not like Adium pulls directly from the system ID, and if it did, the systems wouldn't be given arbitrary names but listed by Apple's definition of model name and processor type (e.g. "iMac G5," "PowerMac8,2").

That's actually a really good point. None of our (Adium's) model name translation stuff would know about a MacBookAir so it would certainly show up as MacBookAir1,1 or something at best.

DMann
Jan 13, 2008, 02:17 PM
I did not know that. I sit corrected. Then it should have been the iiMac (-;

But I guess the Macs at the time weren't intelligent or interactive then?

ii would be too reminiscent of the Apple ii, iisi, iici. Macs were intelligent and interactive back then, however the name needed to make this more obvious. I suppose the iiiMac would have revealed the Mac's true abilities most completely.

boss1
Jan 13, 2008, 02:25 PM

everyone seems to be overly concerned with what the name of this thing is if it actually exists?

Specs > product name

I'll buy a Macbook Butswalah in a heartbeat if the specs are right.

DMann
Jan 13, 2008, 02:30 PM
everyone seems to be overly concerned with what the name of this thing is if it actually exists?

Specs > product name

I'll buy a Macbook Butswalah in a heartbeat if the specs are right.

Hell, I'd buy a MacBook ZUNE if the specs were right....

rish
Jan 13, 2008, 02:30 PM
I think it will have something to do with an iPhone advancement myself. It's the only thing that links with the banner. Could be GPS DONGLE for the iPhone or music downloads over the air or even software updates.

Any wayckme Tuesday and we'll all know soon enough. Enjoy the anticipation of not knowing for sure. Gives us something to look forward to.

Mac Book, iMac G4 andan iPhone with a whole heap of other Apple goodies.

starman0147
Jan 13, 2008, 02:32 PM
The Macbook Air sounds odd, the Airbook sounds better but still not something I would call an Apple notebook. Anyway less then 2 days away now, I am getting excited. I should soon be a :apple: convert. :)

raykhrud
Jan 13, 2008, 02:33 PM
Well, if it will be named MacBook C2H5OH I will buy it.
Even if they'll call it MacBook Ethanol, I'll buy it.
Because I'm Russian. ;)

DMann
Jan 13, 2008, 02:33 PM
I think it will have something to do with an iPhone advancement myself. It's the only thing that links with the banner. Could be GPS DONGLE for the iPhone or music downloads over the air or even software updates.

Any wayckme Tuesday and we'll all know soon enough. Enjoy the anticipation of not knowing for sure. Gives us something to look forward to.

Mac Book, iMac G4 andan iPhone with a whole heap of other Apple goodies.

Dongle days are over....... this would be a recipe for disaster. However, cool iPhone apps and update are definitely on the horizon.

puckhead193
Jan 13, 2008, 02:37 PM
i'm sorry but that name is so dumb macbook air... maybe macbook light.... and the slogan will be light as air... but macbook air too dumb coming from :apple:

MacsAttack
Jan 13, 2008, 02:39 PM
Wasn't Jobs going on about WiFi being the future and wanting to have a system where-in everyone shares access points (so you have WiFi wherever you go).

So - "Something in the Air" may be some weird Uber Airport thingy where everyone who buys one and sets it up gets to use anybody else's when in range.

Of course the whole idea falls into a brown heap because a lot of people have ISP terms and conditions that make this "not work" - usage caps - maximum number of devices - etc.

Ahha! Found it...

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/30/steve-jobs-interested-in-wi-fi-sharing/

mhml92
Think about "the elements." Apple was pushing FIRE wire. FIRE is a cool element. Hot. Burning. Powerful. Illuminating. Warming. Dangerous.

AIR is kinda weak. An AIR HEAD is a ditzy person. AEROSOLS have been banned. AIR sounds too much like HAIR. And I'd never buy a MacBook Hair.

The product won't have the name "air." It will have the name of something "in" the air, such as: A plane, a kite, or a bird.

Don't forget vista's Aero...

Virgil-TB2
http://9to5mac.com/Macbook-Air-Jordan-47654756

http://www.9to5mac.com/files/jordan.jpgAssociating the new laptop with Michael Jordan (although endearing to his fans), would be a good way to estrange an even larger part of the market. Never happen.

It's the same as XBox 360 and that ecosystem. Actually a fairly good product that could run all kinds of interesting games. But the marketing, naming, and promotional materials concentrate so much on that FPS shooter, 19-25 bracket that they turn off the entire rest of the market. It's all about wicked explosions and realistic gore, which pretty much eliminates the product from the awareness of the majority of the possible market for it.

inkswamp
Jan 13, 2008, 02:41 PM

Exactly what I was thinking when I read those comments. There have been numerous instances of people on rumor sites speaking authoritatively about a given rumor that turned out to be true. The switch to Intel was probably the biggest and best example, but there were others (iPods for Windows was another one.)

If you've been on MacRumors long enough, you can see the stages people go through. I think of it as the "dog with a bone" syndrome. People get it in their heads what should and shouldn't be, including details like product names, whether a given product can succeed, whether Apple should or shouldn't make certain things, how unlikely it is, etc., and they just won't let it go.

Then, when info leaks that contradicts those notions, they flip out, regardless of how consistent the supposed name is (and I have to say, real it or not, MacBook Air is pretty consistent with Apple's naming style, especially considering the "Air" keyword in wireless products.) And once the details are announced officially, people talk about what a mistake it is and complain about how it's not what they expected (the latter being the only real problem.) And then, there's this gradual acceptance as the dogs let go of their bones and carry on with their normal lives.

I love following rumors sites, especially before a big Apple event, but I refrain from taking a stand on these things. Apple has done it too many times before and anyone who claims with any authority to know what rumors are real or not (especially after the switch to Intel which almost everyone thought was bunk) can take a flying leap. Whatever happens will happen. Just sit down and try to enjoy the ride. :)

aid
Jan 13, 2008, 02:44 PM
The AirBook is by far a nicer name - but unfortunately does not meet with the requirement of having 'Mac' in the name which Apple introduced last year... Could they break this policy so soon...?

futureswitcher
Jan 13, 2008, 02:44 PM
You guys know that "MacBook Air" picture would have been really easy to photoshop?

Here's proof....a series of screenshots I took turning a MacBook Pro into the "MacBook Air" with Microsoft Paint.:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6bpPViMNm0

Virgil-TB2
Jan 13, 2008, 02:45 PM
The scenario changes greatly however, if it utilizes an AIRBus.Wuh? :confused:

The new MacBook A350?

boss1
Jan 13, 2008, 02:46 PM
Well since the topic seems to be naming, I really don't see anything wrong with Air . I kinda like it. It worked for Nike, and what other simple word could Apple use to symbolize and brand a new front of wireless products?

Air works just fine. Certainly not 'wireless' bleh . It's one of the most overused words of 2007 . Hell i've seen products with wires branded wireless its sickening .

No one seemed to have a problem with Airport or Airport extreme etc . so what gives with MacBook Air? it will work out just fine.

Besides the word sets Apple products apart from competitors . It encompasses all things wireless to include internet, syncing, charging in one word.

My vote is for :apple: Air products

Sabenth
Jan 13, 2008, 02:48 PM
havent read all the pages on this thread but. If nintendo can do it with the wii why cant apple do it with the air book. Yep naff name but still better than the thin book or the skinny book. Or paper book :D

MvdM
Jan 13, 2008, 02:48 PM
What about AirMac.
Still has the Mac name in it.

wonderkid
Jan 13, 2008, 02:49 PM
Discuss: a) Why do Apple have to include a feature or benefit in the product name? Amazon, not Amazon Books or Amazon eCommerce. Ford Mondeo, not Ford mid range well designed car. How about 'Macbook 2008' or Macbook, but just the next iteration. b) Either way, I have always liked 'iBook' better as it's not associated with the Mac brand and implies a more personal and less 'techie' experience. After all, the iPhone runs OSX, but is not a Mac. Eventually, all Apple's products will probably run OSX, so is the term/brand Mac really getting a little old? There are flaws in my argument, for example, wait to call the desktop machines? Apple Workstation Pro? And for pro laptops, how about, Apple Notebook Pro. Oh bother, I'm wondering if I'm right here. Too busy watching Top Gear on BBC2.

bmorris
Jan 13, 2008, 02:49 PM

it still says macbookair...

weird.
that must mean something.

TripleCore
Jan 13, 2008, 02:52 PM
I would name it the MacBook Ultra.

Ultra wide bandwidth.

Ultra lite.

Ultra portable.

Virgil-TB2
Jan 13, 2008, 02:53 PM

Gotcha, right?
Here's the real unpacking video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU[/url]Hilarious. :D :D

The strange hole font on the "Air" part gave it away a bit early, but great execution and so on.
Probably more fun than the actual product will be at this point. :)

Bradley W
Jan 13, 2008, 02:57 PM
_

Catfish_Man
Jan 13, 2008, 02:58 PM

it still says macbookair...

weird.
that must mean something.

Um... of course it's still there. Why would we go in and mess with our stats database just because some rumor popped up about it? That data will probably still be there a year from now.

nevesis
Jan 13, 2008, 03:01 PM
They had to choose air due to the moral issue of when Apple had a tagline for "You can never be too THIN" which caused many anorexia/bullemia groups to call on Apple to retract the advertisment, which they did.

Macbook Air is fresh and will tie into what they will be releasing on Tuesday.

Also, expect an iPhone update which will surprise many people.

ozfried2693
Jan 13, 2008, 03:03 PM
what kind of horrible link is that!?!? it opened up every application and made me manually turn off my computer

MacFly123
Jan 13, 2008, 03:07 PM
It's not a stretch, it's REAL...exactly what SJ would use for new light notebook...not to mention that "macbookair.com" was registered in January...:rolleyes:

http://applescoop.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/01/domain-name-mac.html

Ok I don't even know exactly what these CACHEs are but what does it mean that it also lists Apple TV as 1%? I'm pretty sure Apple TV can't use Adium right? So what's up with that? And what is "RackMac"?

seppoj
Jan 13, 2008, 03:08 PM
I never thought we had members like that :((

MrCrowbar
Jan 13, 2008, 03:08 PM
what kind of horrible link is that!?!? it opened up every application and made me manually turn off my computer

Well, looks like the admins removed related posts (and hopefully banned the original poster). Thanks for keeping these forums clean.

Virgil-TB2
Jan 13, 2008, 03:09 PM
I agree with Dave (Youtube xD) Macbook Air does seem something Microsoft would come up.Nah.

If it were Microsoft it would be called the "Microsoft X-Air 380V Business Edition Pro" or something and come in five artificially created price ranges.

It would also weigh in at ten kilos, be made of thin black plastic, and burn a hole in your desk when you use it.

Peace
Jan 13, 2008, 03:10 PM
Ok I don't even know exactly what these CACHEs are but what does it mean that it also lists Apple TV as 1%? I'm pretty sure Apple TV can't use Adium right? So what's up with that? And what is "RackMac"?

Thank you. Proves my point.

Catfish_Man
Jan 13, 2008, 03:12 PM

AppleTVs can easily be hacked to run OSX proper. RackMac is the code name for the Xserve. The rest of the weird crap on that list appears to be hackintoshes.

<edit>
Except for ADP. That's the old Intel developer preview machines. No idea what ACPI is in this context.
</edit>

Peace
Jan 13, 2008, 03:14 PM
AppleTVs can easily be hacked to run OSX proper. RackMac is the code name for the Xserve. The rest of the weird crap on that list appears to be hackintoshes.

Can you explain how to type using an Apple TV ? hacked or not.
Perhaps I'm missing something.

MrCrowbar
Jan 13, 2008, 03:15 PM

Either use Apple TV's USB port or control it via remote desktop.

Sound Evolution
Jan 13, 2008, 03:17 PM
Dear All,

I think "air" is related to a wireless optical drive ;) :D

With kind regards,
Bas

EagerDragon
Sorry but I do not think Apple would call a laptop a MacBookAir or anything like that.

It would have to be very unique and very "AIR" specialized well above and beyond other laptops to give it such moniker.

I find it hard to believe the AIR is any part of a laptop formal name.

dopey220
"MacBook Air?" Sounds a little stupid to me. MacBook Nano would be alright, I think. Maybe a little too obvious, though.

Digitalclips
Jan 13, 2008, 03:18 PM
God, how do people find this stuff..?

Maybe they googled the word? :p

Virgil-TB2
Jan 13, 2008, 03:19 PM
Unlikely to merit a banner IMHO.It seems likely to me that the existence of the possible "MacBook Air" and the banner "Something in the Air" are being needlessly confabulated.

"Something in the Air" could easily refer to the fact that *all* the announcements at the show have something to do with Wireless technology.

So, MacBook Air, but also, the WiMax possibility, the sharing your router thingie, the iTunes rental possibility, purchasing and renting movies over the air, etc. etc.

It's possible that if the next iPhone has a better camera and iChat that we could be seeing video conferencing over the air as well as Wireless YouTube uploads and so on.

This would be huge, like putting a video-camera in everyone's pocket. It would also go a long way towards solving the video content problem.

I would look for Jobs to use "air" as a theme for several announcements.

Ibjr
Jan 13, 2008, 03:20 PM

I love it. It is ridiculous. I have to reply just to quote it again.

Grimace
Jan 13, 2008, 03:22 PM
There is also a RackMac -- what's that about?

Schnebar
Jan 13, 2008, 03:22 PM

Yeah I clicked on it too.

It opened like mail and iChat and tried to email stuff and send messages.

I do not think it sent anything but it is still interesting how it can do all that stuff with just one click.

mvc
Jan 13, 2008, 03:23 PM
Not sure if this has already been posted, as I can't read the whole thread, but could Air be a reference to the Cloud? ie Cloud computing?

Wireless portable device, low onboard storage (NAND?) and ongoing association with google and .Mac suggest an Apple cloud computing device, a device one step up from the iPhone?

Can't use Macbook cloud, Everex already took the "cloudbook" name (http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/10/everexs-nanobook-becomes-the-cloudbook-gets-gos/)

DOUGHNUT
Jan 13, 2008, 03:25 PM
"MacBook Air?" Sounds a little stupid to me. MacBook Nano would be alright, I think. Maybe a little too obvious, though.

it sounds stupid? yes, but the name will catch on. it comes off easy on the tongue, it's catchy, it's unique and memorable. people used to call MacBook Pro as a stupid sounding name, but not anymore.

Virgil-TB2
Jan 13, 2008, 03:25 PM
... Calling operating systems after big cats? Is a leopard 'newer' than a tiger which is 'newer' than a panther which is 'newer' than a puma? Not to mention the irony of a computer company that has built it's reputation on classy chic designs selling software in packages with leopard spots all over. :)

Leopard or animal prints of any kind has always been synonymous with extreme tacky-ness since at least 1979. So why does the coolest computer company in the world use something that would make any graphic artist cringe for packaging and product ID?

Answer: They just do, and it makes no sense. Maybe Steve likes cats; who knows.

aarond12
Jan 13, 2008, 03:26 PM
I wonder if Apple will follow Micro$oft's lead and release a brown Air... :p

Catfish_Man
Jan 13, 2008, 03:28 PM

You plug a keyboard in...

macmike47
Jan 13, 2008, 03:29 PM
Power was dropped from PowerBook to emphasize the switch from PowerPC processors to Intel. MacBook seems a better name choice than IntelBook.

And also because they wanted to emphasise that each computer made by Apple was a Mac. Previously people got confused and started calling the company 'Mac' and the computer an 'Apple' and so on. Still happens, mind... really pisses me off. :o lol.

mikef07
Jan 13, 2008, 03:30 PM
I wonder if Apple will follow Micro$oft's lead and release a brown Air... :p

Instead they will release the Microsoft "Error"

mouthster
Jan 13, 2008, 03:33 PM
Something in the air..

probably iTunes streaming from a iPhone/iPod Touch to an airport express or Apple TV.

Macula
Jan 13, 2008, 03:37 PM
I wonder whether those developer seeds of 10.5.2 contain any allusions to a new laptop.

akadmon
Jan 13, 2008, 03:37 PM
Sheesh. I hope this turns out to be a lot of hot air. For the love of God, Apple, give us the new MBP!!!

starman0147
Jan 13, 2008, 03:39 PM
Maybe a free Phil Collins CD with every Mac.

Evan_11
Jan 13, 2008, 03:40 PM
The word "Air" in itself is catchy and somewhat mysterious. Apple Inc. wants to get away from describing it's computers as "computers" if you know what I mean. So if people directly referred to the ultra-thin laptop as "one of those cool Apple Airs" much like they do the iPod then the product would probably be more successful.

For sure we're going to see an Apple ultra-portable on Tuesday. If "Air" is indeed part of the name then I think it will have some interesting wireless attributes to go along with it's light weight.

smirking
Jan 13, 2008, 03:40 PM
I can't believe a company with Apple's savvy would pick a name as obtuse as MacBook Air. I'd bank on them using a slightly more hip sounding name like the MacBook Aero.

DOUGHNUT
Jan 13, 2008, 03:41 PM
I can't believe a company with Apple's savvy would pick a name as obtuse as MacBook Air. I'd bank on them using a slightly more hip sounding name like the MacBook Aero.

Aero...like Vista?

smirking
Jan 13, 2008, 03:43 PM
Aero...like Vista?

Huh?

jrennell
Jan 13, 2008, 03:46 PM
This sounds like maybe a page 2 rumor. I know I used to give my computer host names of PowerBook and PowerBook Air depending on what network interface it was connecting through so I would have unique IP's through both on my school's network. Doesn't seem like a stretch that someone else out there would use the name "MacBookAir."

This is a rumor site after all, so it's interesting nonetheless.

akadmon
Jan 13, 2008, 03:47 PM
Huh?

Oh man, talk about living a sheltered life :rolleyes::eek:

Evan_11
Jan 13, 2008, 03:54 PM
To me though, if it's called "Air" I don't see it having a keyboard. I see an 8x10, half inch slab of glass and aluminum floating in the air. Picture an over sized iPod Touch. Beautiful.

Rocketman
Jan 13, 2008, 03:55 PM
Has all this speculation been fun?

What's in the air is your connections to your primary personal data, to your personal peripherals and to your media content.

Apple will release hardware and software which make this nearly universal in the near future.

Rocketman

FrenchMac
Jan 13, 2008, 04:01 PM
My guest is that if a MacBook is gona be called "Air", it won't have the Ethernet connector and be only wireless... We've seen before patents trying to find solution to the problem of the height of the ethernet connector (which can be to high for a slim notebook). But these solutions (like the rotating ports bay) could be to difficult or costly to implement. And they choose the more simple solution which is totaly remove the ethernet connector.

Another solution could be a ethernet port only available on a dock station (with the optical drive?)...

By all accounts, it seems that the next MacBook will be really thin...

I'm not sure that every MacBook models will have a Flash drive. But it seems that the aluminum case is a given...

FrenchMac

BigJohno
Jan 13, 2008, 04:03 PM
Maybe AIR is going to do a live show. Apple hasn't been working on anything at all they are becoming a record label instead. ;)

tgildred
Jan 13, 2008, 04:03 PM
I'm just glad the poster didn't say "There's something in the water..."

raykhrud
Jan 13, 2008, 04:04 PM
Well, it was deleted. Now it's back.
http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/4063/stevesn2.jpg
MacBook Ayre

cmcbridejr
Jan 13, 2008, 04:11 PM
I think everyone is taking the banner too literally.

There will be no such thing as a MacBook Air.

I think that "something in the air" banner is referring to the Apple TV.

Last year was the year of the iPhone. This will be the year of the Apple TV.

Apple has already done so much with music, and movies are in a transitional and vulnerable moment (DVD to bluray adoption).

Something in the air refers to how Apple will takeover the movie industry by allowing downloads to transfer over the air to the Apple TV.

Especially if the rumors are true about movie studios finally allowing iTunes for download (which will then transfer over "the air" to the Apple TV).

The rumored MacBook will just be a "one more thing".

Music is where Apple makes money, so why not tackle movies?

doogle
Jan 13, 2008, 04:12 PM
'AirBook' would be a nicer name.

Nym
Jan 13, 2008, 04:12 PM

If MacBook Air turns out to be the real product's name I'm soooooo gonna quote you ;):D

Bonte
Jan 13, 2008, 04:15 PM
My guest is that if a MacBook is gona be called "Air", it won't have the Ethernet connector and be only wireless... We've seen before patents trying to find solution to the problem of the height of the ethernet connector (which can be to high for a slim notebook)

Makes perfect sense to me, Apple did it with the iMac and a tablet with only 1 iPod like connector and everything else wireless seems the way to go.

fr33 loader
Jan 13, 2008, 04:18 PM
"Something in the air" means something about wireless technology. Bluetooth, WIFI, IR, streaming data, etc.

Name wise, I vote for MacBook "Sparkle":D. "Air" is so passe.

olternaut
Jan 13, 2008, 04:23 PM
Ok, umm it may seem slightly strange but I have a feeling that "MacBook Air" just might exist. Also, what the heck is a "Xtreme Mac"? There are some pics online of the black shrouded banners inside the moscone center with a banner above saying xtreme mac.
Can someone tell me what that is? :confused:

Sannekita
Jan 13, 2008, 04:24 PM
Macbook Air... yeah i don't think so... sounds kinda stupid

Glueeater
Jan 13, 2008, 04:27 PM
Why is everyone's argument based on a speculated name?

Has a "stupid" name ever stopped a company from making something?

AMoeini
Jan 13, 2008, 04:30 PM
You're right, Macbook Air sounds weak, and apple usually doesn't buy domain names, people know www.apple.com for everything. Lots of people will buy multiple domain names, take when the xbox 360 was coming, before they finally named it. So many different xbox related domains were bought (xbox 2, etc.) And I had a class purely on Adobe design in CS2. The teacher had purchased domains all the way to ps20. Because if they ever do make a PlayStation 20, and Sony wants the name, they have to purchase from him, and he can price it as expensive as he wants. So this may be just someone "planning ahead," the purchase of the domain doesn't tell us much. Additionally, Apple:apple: would be a little less obvious then "There's something in the air.." And name is Macbook Air. Steve and his team are pretty intelligent guys. But hey - don't fret over this too much. We only have 1 and 1/2 days until we know. I'm sure we can make it!

serpico
Jan 13, 2008, 04:30 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

I don't give a crap what it's called, people will still buy it if it's what we want.

7on
Jan 13, 2008, 04:31 PM
Yeah, Apple would never name a computer with such a stupid name. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lisa)

mr.light
Jan 13, 2008, 04:33 PM
I have no doubt that Apple is going to introduce such a laptop, but I really don't think it will be called Macbook Air. "Something in the Air" Likely refers to the new movie service or a new iphone.

elgruga
Jan 13, 2008, 04:38 PM
Yeah, Apple would never name a computer with such a stupid name. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lisa)

LOL!
So could this mean that new Apple super-thin laptop will be called the Apple Bart?
Will the iMac become the iMarge?
And will the Mac Pro become the Mac Homer?

voyagerd
Jan 13, 2008, 04:38 PM
Now the question of what I should buy. I want a laptop smaller than 15" that I can play games on. It will be a replacement for my 12" PowerBook that I just sold. Please put a GeForce 8400 in it Apple!

dubhe
Jan 13, 2008, 04:39 PM
I think Steve pays someone lots of money to start these rumours, he'll be sitting at home reading these posts having a right laugh. :D

eliotschreiner
Jan 13, 2008, 04:40 PM
What if the name has a much more literal meaning than we think?

If the banners say "there's something in the air" then maybe apple is punning on something that is in the new macbook. Something we've never conceived :eek:

aarond12
Maybe this new notebook begins new wireless USB peripherals in Apple products...

Thessman

Who's cleaning after him?

japanime
Jan 13, 2008, 04:41 PM
Actually, Apple already has used the words "Air" and "Mac" together in a product name.

In Japan, the "Airport Express" and "Airport Extreme" are actually called "AirMac Express" and "AirMac Extreme." That's because "Airport" is a trademark for wireless routers made by another (non-Apple) company.

jacktiernan
Jan 13, 2008, 04:42 PM
FWIW, I like 'AirBook' more than MacbookAir.

Just give me a tablet, goddammit! They can call it MacFlap2000 for all i care.
:)

voyagerd
Jan 13, 2008, 04:42 PM
12" PowerBook G4 1 GHz
Awaiting a suitable replacement...

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me.

doo-hik-ee
Jan 13, 2008, 04:46 PM

That was the name of Steve Jobs daughter. Lisa.

3G4N
Jan 13, 2008, 04:47 PM
just use it

Wadu ino
Jan 13, 2008, 04:47 PM
There's been a lot of speculation about Apple going into the movie rental biz. It would make sense if they made it simple to get those rentals onto a TV. There's something in the air.

Dyr2000
Jan 13, 2008, 04:54 PM
Macbook Airforce!

..or AirPower.

in that way the "air" doesn't sound like a sissy.

elgruga
Jan 13, 2008, 04:54 PM
That was the name of Steve Jobs daughter. Lisa.

It probably still is her name.

WyoMac
Jan 13, 2008, 04:56 PM
Count me as one who will not be surprised by a new thin flash-based Macbook. However, I will be shocked if "Macbook Air" is the name of any new machine.

I still maintain the something in the air theme refers to the increased market share of the Mac with any new machines and announcements designed to keep this momentum. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I could see iPhone type price cuts on consumer machines to try to grab even more new users this year.

Lock up the streets and houses
Because there's something in the air
We've got to get together sooner or later
Because the revolution's here, and you know it's right -Thunderclap Newman

There was music in the cafes at night and revolution in the air-Bob Dylan

Oroboros
Jan 13, 2008, 05:00 PM
Something is in the Air...

I'm hoping that this heralds the beginning of a new naming convention for the laptop models. Just as the OS's are named after big cats, maybe the laptops will follow big birds. They're in the air...

Should result in some amazing Native American-sounding names when tech support asks for people's platforms:

Eagle Running Leopard
Buzzard Updates With Panther
Albatross Dumps Cheetah
Vulture Stalls With Puma
Leopard flies on Condor
Crashing Tiger, Hidden Emu

-Oro

socrates6
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/notebook-supermodel/intel-unveils-worlds-thinnest-laptop-almost-skinny-as-a-razr-263359.php

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2007/tc20070523_272039.htm

To me that kind of sounds like something that apple would snatch up if they didn't invent it themselves.

rish
Dongle days are over....... this would be a recipe for disaster. However, cool iPhone apps and update are definitely on the horizon.

You're right announcing a GPS dongle would be totally crap. Mind you could be that mobile triangulation software that the buzz has been about prior to this whole Mac Book Air thing. Really don't think MB Air is on the cards.

ezekielrage_99
Jan 13, 2008, 05:01 PM
Macbook Air... It kind of sounds like a product Nike would endorse :apple:

elgruga
Jan 13, 2008, 05:02 PM
OK.

Steve Jobs has a daughter Lisa.
He also has a sister called Mona Simpson.
Mona Simpson is the name of Homer's mother.
Mona Simpson is married to a Simpson's script writer.

The new computer will be called either iBart, iMona, Air Simpson, MacHomer, or iMarge.:eek::eek::(:mad::):cool::rolleyes::confused::mad::apple::D

Its kinda obvious when you see the connections, right?

strangelogic
Jan 13, 2008, 05:05 PM
Well FWIW I was at :apple: store pentagon city earlier today, and there was a swarm of employees loitering around, and having some sort of discussion as-if maybe they had been reading macrumors or other sites. (the words MacBook Air did come out of on persons mouth) And one was using a pen as a microphone and they were sort of 'singing' the ABBA song Fernando...

"There was something in the air that night
The stars were bright, fernando
They were shining there for you and me
For liberty, fernando
Though I never thought that we could lose
Theres no regret
If I had to do the same again
I would, my friend, fernando"

So - I think it is not just SJ who is laughing...

iconboy
Jan 13, 2008, 05:05 PM
there's something in the air...

although i dont think people should take it literally to mean the very name of the product apple will reveal, i do think it is a big part of the keynote.

i think its soppose to represent the predominent "wireless" nature of the products they will be focusing on this year. that being the iphone + ipod touch with wireless capabilities, the appletv with its wireless capabilities to stream movies you have just rented from itunes and ofcourse their all new super portable laptop which i think will not only work wirelessly to get internet access, but will use wireless to primarily connect to peripherals as well.

im super excited however because i am really hoping that a new macbook pro is announced with a new design. now that there is anything wrong with the design of the current macbook pro- the powerbook won lots of awards for its design, i feel still that it is overdue for something new and i was dissapointed last year when it didnt happen. im hoping this year will be different.

Chupa Chupa
Jan 13, 2008, 05:14 PM
This thread is freaking hilarious. It was just two years ago so many people here were bitching and moaning on how "lame" the MacBook Pro name was. Now I read messages on how MacBook and MacBook Pro name are "timeless" and such, but MacBook Air name is lame. And the little sheep goes "baaaa, baaaa, baaa" all day long.

I'm betting IF there is a MacBook Air in two year everyone here will thing it's a "timeless" name. All I know is its a hella lot better than "TZ Series," "Inspiron," "Pavillion" and the other truly lame names PC makers give their notebooks.

Time Capsule Memory Jog: MacBook Pro is a Lame Name http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=172018

ClassicMac247
Jan 13, 2008, 05:15 PM
The i is way to overused, Mac is the most powerful sounding (besides Power of course) and air? Thats just a plain stupid name the more I think about it. Their creative team really needs to get to work if MacBook Air is a laptop name.

notsofatjames
Jan 13, 2008, 05:17 PM
I think people are reading too much into the air thing, but anyways, i thought id share my thoughts.

The product Air is already associated with wireless connectivity in apple products. AirPort (Extreme and Express, both wireless routers) and AirTunes. The Air brand already has a product line of its own (albeit quite small). The only way I can see the Air branding being used if Apple made some sort of home server like device. A glorified AirPort Extreme if you like. Built in storage, suitable for TM backups, an iTunes server for all your macs and apple-TVs.

Anything with Mac in its product name is a Personal Computer. (Macbook, iMac, Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, Mac Mini)
Anything with X (as in EX, not roman numeral usage in OS 10) in its product name is Server based (XServe, XServeRAID, Xsan)
Anything with Air in its name is a wireless router of somekind.

Thats just my thoughts, and I have no evidence to back them up at all, so criticize away!

Rocketman
Jan 13, 2008, 05:25 PM
..or AirPower.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=279891&page=2

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=10661

Rocketman