Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bond007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2003
Central Florida
I recently switched over to the Mac back in Feb. of this year. I have never installed an OS on a Mac before. Mine had jag allready installed. So my question is this...Do I have to re-install everything? All my apps? Photoshop, Corel, and all the others? Or will panther just update jaguar and everything will stay the same? I really want Panther, but I cant re-install everything all over. Not now. I run my business with this mac, and cant affort to spend the night re-installing everything, or chancing anything not working. Any help or info on this would be great!!! Thanks...

-007 :cool:

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
You have some options when you install the OS. You could wipe the drive and start fresh, but you can also install the new right over the old. I think there's an option for archiving the old OS as well.

The short answer is, no you don't have to reinstall everything.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
If I do the archive install, can I drag apps from the archive, then then delete the archive? I want to do a clean install, but if archiving would make it easier...

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by Horrortaxi
You have some options when you install the OS. You could wipe the drive and start fresh, but you can also install the new right over the old. I think there's an option for archiving the old OS as well.

The short answer is, no you don't have to reinstall everything.

Is it anything like windows where you get a more stable OS with a clean install vs. just an upgrade? I know from my MS experience that I NEVER do upgrades to MS OSs. Its really a game of Russian roulette when you do that in Windows. How’s the upgrade experience in OS X? Since you guys don’t have the f***ed up experience of a Registry. (Who the hell thought that would be a good idea?!?!?!) I have to imagine it’s a heck of a lot better then windows.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Is it anything like windows where you get a more stable OS with a clean install vs. just an upgrade? I know from my MS experience that I NEVER do upgrades to MS OSs. Its really a game of Russian roulette when you do that in Windows. How’s the upgrade experience in OS X? Since you guys don’t have the f***ed up experience of a Registry. (Who the hell thought that would be a good idea?!?!?!) I have to imagine it’s a heck of a lot better then windows.

It's better. A clean install will typically be a little snappier, a little more stable, but it's *usually* not a big deal. If your system is a bit ****ed up, then a clean install can be a good idea. And, yeah, we don't miss the registry :) (the defaults database and netinfo are vaguely similar, except that they never seem to **** up). Archive and install basically does a clean install, but saves settings and such. It won't fix messed up prefs (since it keeps them), but it'll be somewhat similar to a clean install.

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
Unless you are getting major disk errors, a permissions repair and archive and install is all that will be necessary to experience a "new" and updated system.

When you do archive(make sure to preserve user and network settings) and install it puts any outdated apple apps into the "previous system" folder.

Meaning that anything that is not updated by the installer cd is not moved from your apps folder.

Once the install is complete you can delete the "previous system" without losing your apps or documents.(It does require authentication)

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I would've thought he's looking for just a regular "upgrade" install which, if it's still the same, you should be able to do. It saves the hassle of taking stuff out of the archive.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by mmmdreg
I would've thought he's looking for just a regular "upgrade" install which, if it's still the same, you should be able to do. It saves the hassle of taking stuff out of the archive.

Agreed. There's no real reason to do an archive and install if all you want to do is upgrade the system.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Originally posted by dho
Unless you are getting major disk errors, a permissions repair and archive and install is all that will be necessary to experience a "new" and updated system.

When you do archive(make sure to preserve user and network settings) and install it puts any outdated apple apps into the "previous system" folder.

Meaning that anything that is not updated by the installer cd is not moved from your apps folder.

Once the install is complete you can delete the "previous system" without losing your apps or documents.(It does require authentication)

So doing an "Archive and install" is the only way for me to save all my work, photos, and mp3s AND do a somewhat "clean" install? Sorry, not much of a techie. I've never tried that "Archive and Install" thing because I wasn't sure of the differences.

The Reaper

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
i would recommend formatting your HD first, just to be sure. first, go ta a friend with a large HD and copy your home folder and apps folder to your friend's HD. then format and install panther on your old HD. then, copy the contents of your old home folder into the new one created, and then copy your apps. the apps should still work because the preference files are in the new Home folder (in the library).

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
its times like these when my portable 40G pocket drive comes in handy. all i have to do is drag my applications over to it and make a back up copy of any thing that i need to save. Then, i usally make a clean install of the new OS, and drag back all of my apps. from my portable, to my master hard drive. 98% of the time all of my stuff works fine. occasionaly, i might have to reinstall something like photoshop.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by The Reaper
i would recommend formatting your HD first, just to be sure. first, go ta a friend with a large HD and copy your home folder and apps folder to your friend's HD. then format and install panther on your old HD. then, copy the contents of your old home folder into the new one created, and then copy your apps. the apps should still work because the preference files are in the new Home folder (in the library).

unless you're experiencing problems there's absolutely no reason to do any of this. it's fine and good for power users, who want it to be the best it can possibly be, but for the average user the standard upgrade procedure is all that's necessary. anything more is a lot of overkill that apple took pains to make sure you didn't have to do.

pnw

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
Yeah guys he [the starter of this thread] never said there was anything wrong with his computer, unless you're responding to someone else that I can't seem to remember.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.