PDA

View Full Version : Boot Up Problem - Help!

Stan
Oct 11, 2003, 11:18 AM
If someone could offer some advice I would be very grateful....

I am using a PowerMac g3 400. Following the installation of the latest firmware via software update the system crashed, and will now not boot up, not even from disk using a CTRL C. The screen defaults to a page which has the following message straight after restart:

DEFAULT CATCH 1, code=300 at %SRR0: 01c0f7b0 %SRR1: 00003030

Apple Power Mac G3, 3 3.4f1 BootRom built on 08/08/00 at 22:02:19

Welcome to Open Firmware

To continue booting type "mac-boot" and press return

After typing mac-boot, the screen goes grey and the folder appears in the middle with the question mark. If anyone has any ideas please let me know...

PS I am a bit of a novice, so please keep it as straightforward as you can. Many thanks

LimeiBook86
Oct 12, 2003, 03:15 AM
First off to boot from a CD-ROM hold, Command (the key with the Apple on it) and C right after you hear the mac's startup tone. It seems like you are stuck in open firmware. My dad as a similar mac. The tech at the apple store said if everything works fine with all your hardware you shouldn't update your firmware since it can not be undun. Tell me your results.

Stan
Oct 14, 2003, 05:57 AM
Thanks very much for your help. As you suggested, it appears the Mac had become stuck in the Firmware text screen after an automatic software update had run. The command "reset-nvram", followed by "reset-all" resolved the issue. And the automatic update is automatic no more!!!

LimeiBook86
Oct 14, 2003, 03:27 PM
Your welcome :D

aethier
Oct 14, 2003, 03:46 PM
i am pretty sure that you could just press "c" to boot from a cd, but anyways, or if you want you could also press options key, then tehre will be a screen with all bootable devices to chose from..

aethier

LimeiBook86
Oct 14, 2003, 04:06 PM
oops, yeah it is just C, not command c, I got mixed up because he said "control"

whoops :-P