Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
CA
On Amazon's website there are a bunch of cheap iphone car chargers, ranging from $1.36 to >$20. Will the cheap car chargers damage my iphone battery in any way?!?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I bought one to leave in Denver as I travel there quite often. Works fine on iPod and iPhone. Sorry, can't find the link to the one I bought.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
why would you want to risk it? how bad would it be to spend $20 to get a charger that is meant to work with the iphone instead of spending $5 on a cheap charger that could fry your iphone?

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
why would you want to risk it? how bad would it be to spend $20 to get a charger that is meant to work with the iphone instead of spending $5 on a cheap charger that could fry your iphone?

because products sell by their name brand anymore. a 6 dollar charger could vary likely have the same components as a 20 dollar one, just named 'i can Charge your phone too' instead of "Apple's Snazzy iPhone charger".

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
I believe that the cheaper models don't have a transformer built in to them, so I'm guessing if there was a power surge and your charging your iphone, it might get fried.

Hasn't stopped me risking my ipod with a cheap charger! I've used it in UK, France, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Thailand, works like you want it to and I haven't encountered any power surges, could be just luck tho :)

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I believe a cheap charger was responsible for hosing one of my iPods in the past, so I'm personally very wary of any parts not made by a recognized manufacturer.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
That case looks nice and slim. I assume you got it by now...how do you like it? Does it cover the screen or not? I can't tell from the Amazon photos.

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
CA
That case looks nice and slim. I assume you got it by now...how do you like it? Does it cover the screen or not? I can't tell from the Amazon photos.

Well, to update you guys on the car charger, it works awesome! no problems with the iphone heating up or anything. Besides it is mainly for emergency backup use.

As for the case, it ONLY covers the back of the phone, and gives it a very soft grippy feeling. I like the fact that the case leaves the front uncovered, and so it does not hide the chrome accents. Great case, very slim, it's the only case for me, and i'm selling all of my other cases!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.