PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco Geared Up For Macworld

MacRumors
Jan 13, 2008, 07:39 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Walking around San Francisco today, you could tell that Macworld was coming. And in case you forgot or didn't know about the conference, Apple has placed ads on every street-corner to remind you.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/01/13/202311-iPodBannerSF1_300.jpg

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/01/13/202315-iPodBannerSF2_500.jpg

Curiously, the ads are promoting the iPod, however currently we do not expect Apple to be introducing updates to the iPod during this Macworld.

Meanwhile, fellow members of the press are arriving in droves. The expo actually begins tomorrow, though expect things to really pick up after Steve's keynote on Tuesday at 9 (have we mentioned we're going to be covering it live (http://www.macrumorslive.com/)?).

However, to put some perspective on the situation, I was reminded today that the entire city doesn't just shut down for a conference like Macworld. For instance, today I saw this great jumprope team showing their skills in Union Square.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/01/13/202317-jumpRope_500.jpg

Oh who am I kidding. They were jumping for joy that Macworld has arrived!

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/13/san-francisco-geared-up-for-macworld/)

CWallace
Jan 13, 2008, 07:41 PM
Walking around San Francisco today, you could tell that Macworld was coming. And in case you forgot or didn't know about the conference, Apple has placed ads on every street-corner to remind you.

Curiously, the ads are promoting the iPod, however currently we do not expect Apple to be introducing updates to the iPod during this Macworld.

Must be a smokescreen like 2006 and the Intel announcement.

My guess is Apple is moving to PA-RISC. :)

coolant113
Jan 13, 2008, 07:44 PM
why would they be putting up ipod advertisements if they werent announcing anything related to the ipod.. because why wouldnt they put up mac adevertisements :apple::apple:

nlivo
Jan 13, 2008, 07:46 PM
they are displaying iPod posters because the iPod touch and the iPhone (both hvaing iPod's in them) are getting an update which allows them to be the controller/mouse and keyboard for the appletv update that will have safari on it. No, duh.

coolant113
Jan 13, 2008, 07:49 PM
yea possibily.. but still they should have at least some mac advertisements up:apple::apple:

TimJim
Jan 13, 2008, 08:01 PM
Probably putting up iPod ads because when people think iPod they think Apple.

abrooks
Jan 13, 2008, 08:01 PM
[url=http://www.macrumors.com]

Apple always advertises the iPod, whether it is Macworld or not. Granted they go over the top during Macworld but all the posters will be replaced during the keynote on Tuesday.

longofest
Jan 13, 2008, 08:14 PM
Apple always advertises the iPod, whether it is Macworld or not. Granted they go over the top during Macworld but all the posters will be replaced during the keynote on Tuesday.

True, but note that the streetcorner ads are specifically Macworld related (macworld text at bottom). I don't necessarily think it means anything, but it did kind of perk my interest.

eric55lv
Jan 13, 2008, 08:41 PM
they should put up MacBook and MacBook Pro ads insted of iPod ads because they might be a MB and MBP update at MacWorld

arn
Jan 13, 2008, 08:57 PM
It makes sense to have iPod ads if they are NOT changing.

How can you advertise the MacBook Pro when its going to be updated? (and potentially look different). You'd have to change the ads on Tuesday.

arn

Chrispy88
Jan 13, 2008, 09:02 PM
Probably putting up iPod ads because when people think iPod they think Apple.

That, and why would they advertise things that are going to be replaced in two days? Why would they have huge billboards of a Macbook if it's going to be replaced/updated at MacWorld?

EDIT: Arn beat me to the punch!

yanks4sure
Jan 13, 2008, 09:36 PM
something in the air + ipod ads = iphone 2

there is a lot of other reasons to defend this standpoint like:

biggest of which is that apple must have known that saying something in the air would get peoples hopes up and they dont want to disappoint and lower stock price

they need a new model if they want to sell 10 million by the end of the year (most people who will buy one probably already have)

there are a million other reasons but think about it
i know it is wishful thinking but still...

Peace
Jan 13, 2008, 09:41 PM
Must be a smokescreen like 2006 and the Intel announcement.

My guess is Apple is moving to PA-RISC. :)

Ya Steve likes and is know for distracting away from the real stuff.
Kinda reminds me when he was saying that the Apple TV was a "hobby".Is it?

bcsmith
Jan 13, 2008, 10:26 PM
This has been the same as the last few years. They put iPod ads in the kiosks and then swap them out with the new product...

EricNau
Jan 13, 2008, 11:29 PM

How can you advertise the MacBook Pro when its going to be updated? (and potentially look different). You'd have to change the ads on Tuesday.

arn
These ads aren't necessarily a sign that Apple is "gearing up" for MacWorld, as San Francisco has always been inundated with iPod ads; however, I suspect you're correct: Apple wouldn't place iPod ads if the iPod line was to be updated (even though those ads are so generic, they could probably get away with it without anybody noticing).

Tofaha
Jan 13, 2008, 11:54 PM
you know what struck me the most about the union square picture...people in shorts and shirts...i'm jealous.
i'm cold :(

erandall38
Jan 14, 2008, 12:57 AM
http://finance.google.com/group/google.finance.22144/browse_thread/thread/f0106b3db20d70c3

as a stock investor that scares me... but I really can't see Steve making that the biggest announcement at MacWorld... no way.

The reason I post it is because it is a good idea... it has to do with iPods and they would not have to update the posters and it does not leak any info early.

Music8Guyz
Jan 14, 2008, 02:24 AM
Where would the fun be if they put up ads for what they're going to talk about? Think of all the extra hype they get from the mwsf rumor mill leading up to the conference.

B3CK24
Jan 14, 2008, 02:50 AM
u guys put too much thought into the ads...its just an Ad... coming from a someone who studies design, the iPod has almost become a symbol or emblem of Apple on its own..

takao
Jan 14, 2008, 04:12 AM
true i hope this means that ipod updates are out of question for once

iTone
Jan 14, 2008, 04:37 AM
Is the BART plastered in ads? I remember one time they did that. Every wall was covered in ipod ads.

aswitcher
Jan 14, 2008, 04:50 AM

arn

Thoughts like this make me very happy :)

John Purple
Jan 14, 2008, 04:50 AM
they should put up MacBook and MacBook Pro ads insted of iPod ads because they might be a MB and MBP update at MacWorld
Would YOU advertise a old product you are going to replace by something better (hopefully ;) ) ?

igazza
Jan 14, 2008, 09:31 AM
20 gig nano

longofest
Jan 14, 2008, 10:40 AM
u guys put too much thought into the ads...its just an Ad... coming from a someone who studies design, the iPod has almost become a symbol or emblem of Apple on its own..

When the 5G iPod was released, there were ads in the exhibit hall that depicted an iPod with a larger screen (like the 5G). So, there is precedent to give ads a little bit of credence. But note I only gave that point a sentence in my article... I really don't think its a big thing. The biggest thing is that they plastered the city with the ads.

voicegy
Jan 14, 2008, 11:20 AM

arn

I've actually seen Apple do this at a MacWorld - at least to the "circular" ads that are on the street kiosks.

I was at MacWorld when the TiBook (the first radical redesign of the portable laptop) was announced. It was instantly drool-worthy when Steve presented it on stage. Outside, the days and hours before the Keynote, their circular ads were of a current product. After the Keynote, I went outside to catch my breath at all I'd been exposed to, and to my shock and delight, the ads were changed during the keynote to show the TiBook. Most impressive.

ltldrummerboy
Jan 14, 2008, 11:43 AM
you know what struck me the most about the union square picture...people in shorts and shirts...i'm jealous.

No kidding. It's 20 below in AK. Can't wait to see what's in store for Tuesday.

Peace
Jan 14, 2008, 11:48 AM
When the 5G iPod was released, there were ads in the exhibit hall that depicted an iPod with a larger screen (like the 5G). So, there is precedent to give ads a little bit of credence. But note I only gave that point a sentence in my article... I really don't think its a big thing. The biggest thing is that they plastered the city with the ads.

I'll go with the other poster who said iPod ads are all over the city all the time.I travel down there at least twice a year and every time you see iPod ads on buildings,poles and in kiosks all over town.Doesn't matter if Macworld is happening or not.

glowingstar
Jan 14, 2008, 11:52 AM

did i mention before how lucky i feel to live here? :D

but really though...i'm doing a half-day at work tomorrow, then walking over to moscone. see you there! :apple:

malvord
Jan 14, 2008, 12:07 PM
Ok, I have been attending the Expo for 10+ years, but never made the Keynote. This year I forked over $200+ for the Conference Pass and will be camping out tonight in hopes of getting in. However, I won't be arriving until after 8pm and will have to get my credentials in the morning. Will I have enough time? Also, what time do people start lining up?

Thanks in advance!
Mike:D

Manatee
Jan 14, 2008, 01:46 PM
They'll show LA... with their stupid writers' strike dragging down the economy.