PDA

View Full Version : Staying Home On Tuesday??

coolant113
Jan 13, 2008, 09:14 PM
Anybody staying home from work or school on tuesday to stay on top of Macworld announcements... i am staying home from school.. and having a Macworld Party.. lol Sounds geeky i know but idc:apple::apple:

synth3tik
Jan 13, 2008, 09:20 PM
has it happens I will be off work on Tuesday. I get down with school at 11AM CST. So i will have two hours or so until the keynote.

GoCubsGo
Jan 13, 2008, 09:46 PM
Truthfully, if I found out one of my employees stayed home sick for something like this I would write them up. That is in the event they lie to me so they can stay home and watch some lame keynote that will be available to watch online after they get home.

I know, it sounds harsh, but my work ethic seems to extend far beyond Apple's announcements.

eric55lv
Jan 14, 2008, 12:31 AM
But if I skip school Ill feel guilty:(

gusapple
Jan 14, 2008, 12:35 AM
I'll fail my classes if I miss one day... I guess that I'll have to stick with making waffles and watch it on my iPhone... Sigh:(

queshy
Jan 14, 2008, 01:15 AM
I won't skip class but I certainly won't be listening in my class - I'll be watching the keynote updates from my mbp!

Silencio
Jan 14, 2008, 01:16 AM
I'm self-employed; makes it really easy to block out a couple of hours on my schedule to dedicate to the keynote! :D

thechidz
Jan 14, 2008, 01:18 AM
I love being self-employed:D

CF Fighter
Jan 14, 2008, 01:19 AM
I can't miss school, and my school has barely any Wi-Fi access and my Touch can't log onto their servers either. Luckily I'm borrowing my sister's laptop so I can find out what was announced and then order what I want. It sucks but I'll cope.

cbrain
Jan 14, 2008, 01:19 AM
I won't be staying home. Macworld dosent start until 17:00 over here anyway.

takao
Jan 14, 2008, 04:10 AM
I won't be staying home. Macworld dosent start until 17:00 over here anyway.

and for central europe it's 18:00 i think .. (not that i have to leave the house tomorrow anyway)

first following the livestream, then lot's of discussion hopefully and then watching the delayed stream

sunfast
Jan 14, 2008, 05:02 AM
Sure I'm excited but staying home seems like a waste of holiday!

I'll get the updates when I get home (it starts at 1700 here anyway)

johny5
Jan 14, 2008, 05:35 AM
I work from home every other week and this falls good this week :)
Have to wait till 5pm in the uk tho :(

nlivo
Jan 14, 2008, 05:51 AM
Well I'm holidays anyway so I won't be needing to miss any school. Although, here (Australia) it starts at 4 am on Wednesday so I'll just wake up and straight away watch the keynote that will have been posted by apple. No 'macrumorslive' for me, just SJ goodness.

thesdx
Jan 14, 2008, 06:00 AM
I'm skipping!

zapp
Jan 14, 2008, 06:24 AM
I'm skipping!

First day of class for me, but I will be getting SMS updates on the iPhone, and if able order on the phone too.

OllyW
Jan 14, 2008, 06:27 AM
It starts at 5:00pm in the UK, just as I finish work.

I get back home by 5:15 just as the first feeds start to come through.

yoppie
Jan 14, 2008, 06:34 AM
I won't be skipping school for this. It's not THAT serious, besides websites will be detailing updates by the minute and you can always watch the keynote later.

Whatever Apple announce will be available for order later in the day, the next day and so on...no need to skip just to be the first to click the buy now button. LAME.

wongulous
Jan 14, 2008, 06:40 AM
I am off work at 8am (CST), and it isn't until 11am here, so I'm going to stay up and watch it. But in the past I've called in sick!!! Better believe it.

Stevenup7002
Jan 14, 2008, 06:44 AM
I feel sick... I'll be better by Wednesday though ;)

Btw, Jessica is a spoilsport :mad:

Mal
Jan 14, 2008, 08:15 AM
Nope, but I get to follow it at work. Lots easier than in class where I have to keep from paying too much attention.

jW

kevinbal
Jan 14, 2008, 08:36 AM
Ugh, we got a Nor'easter here in New England a day too early!

Unfortunately today was the snow day, so tomorrow I'll actually have to go in and teach, rather than watch the keynote. Oh well! Happy Macworld Keynote Day everyone :)

fr33 loader
Jan 14, 2008, 08:40 AM
Haha, calling in sick or skipping school for this? How low can you go?:p

wongulous
Jan 14, 2008, 08:58 AM
Personally, MW means a lot to me and this will be my 10th (TENTH!) MacWorld January, and like my 19th or 20th MacWorld total. So you know what, you people who have kids that get sick who expect to be able to call off from work, that's great, but MW is kind of like my kid. I don't have kids. Some people have kids, some have pets, and I have Macs. So how dare any of you for judging me. ;)

(Only half-serious... but honestly, it's not your employer's business why you are having a 'personal' day. Jessica is actually an unethical boss for caring why her employees call off. Now, it is kinda nasty if they make up a story about being sick, but still, not her business as an employer.)

olternaut
Jan 14, 2008, 09:07 AM
I feel sick... I'll be better by Wednesday though ;)

Btw, Jessica is a spoilsport :mad:

werd! Jessica is NOT cool!! :mad:

aross99
Jan 14, 2008, 09:35 AM
I usually catch the first part of the Keynote over lunch time, and then watch it in detail then I get home from work tomorrow...

LizKat
Jan 14, 2008, 09:59 AM
/snip/ (Only half-serious... but honestly, it's not your employer's business why you are having a 'personal' day. Jessica is actually an unethical boss for caring why her employees call off. Now, it is kinda nasty if they make up a story about being sick, but still, not her business as an employer.)

Hmm... Employers don't like being lied to. Lying about being sick --especially on a repeated basis-- can end up getting one fired. Repeated absences for unclear or undocumented reasons, and any related job performance issues, are usually sufficient cause to terminate employment.

C'mon, rule one with a job is that if you show up, you make it harder for a boss to fire you. The converse of that is also true.

As far as "mental health days" such as taking a day off to keep up with Macworld 2008 doings: nowadays the sensible employer may choose to build a couple personal days into the calendar, usable on 24 or 48 hours notice with the assumption that critical work schedules will not be disrupted. Smart employees also consider other options: saving up a couple of vacation days, for instance.

Just giving some advance notice and stating a need to take a day off works sometimes if you've established a good track record with your boss. Let him or her tell you how to account for it in the company's records. If you have flexible working arrangements then maybe you can just switch a Saturday or Sunday for the day off that you crave. Your boss is a human being too. But, she or he probably also has a boss, so the consequences of your actions affect more than just you and your boss.

MicBook
Jan 14, 2008, 10:05 AM
this may sound weird but I am going to work to watch the keynote I will have less interruptions there than at home

Doctor Q
Jan 14, 2008, 10:40 AM
I always schedule my vacation time for the Tuesday of Macworld.

shoulin333
Jan 14, 2008, 11:16 AM
My classes dont start until Jan 28th here in cali :)

so i plan on watching the keynote on a laptop in my local mall...

... if a new MBP comes out and is avail tomorrow i will be one of the first to buy... mabey even check out what else they have in the AIR

mikes63737
Jan 14, 2008, 11:37 AM
I can't because I have an english exam, but I'll use MR Live on my iPhone during the rest of the day.

Chris204
Jan 14, 2008, 12:57 PM
I work from home, so it's no problem for me.

Doctor Q
Jan 14, 2008, 08:03 PM
I can't because I have an english exam, but I'll use MR Live on my iPhone during the rest of the day.You clearly have your priorities wrong, mikes63737. Sure, you'll pass your exam and go on to a successful career, but you won't be the first one at school to tell everyone else what Apple announced! :eek:

Hmac
Jan 14, 2008, 08:20 PM
Anybody staying home from work or school on tuesday to stay on top of Macworld announcements... i am staying home from school.. and having a Macworld Party.. lol Sounds geeky i know but idc:apple::apple:

No, I'm not. I have an actual life.

match311
Jan 14, 2008, 08:23 PM
I'll be home, buts thats because I have no class on Tuesdays. Yay engineering!

gazfocus
Jan 14, 2008, 08:23 PM
Normally, I am in university until 6pm on a Tuesday (the Keynote is 5pm here in UK), and for some reason we're finishing at 4pm today...I wonder whether my lecturer is a secret Mac fan and wants to watch the Keynote???

So, traffic permitting, I'll be home around 4.20pm with enough time to make a cup of tea, get some snacks, and get glued to my computer (unfortunately a Windoze PC...awaiting the results of MacWorld to order a MBP and an iMac)...then go out for dinner to the chinese buffet, then get back and watch the Keynote stream on Apple.com....then go to bed drooling over what will me arriving at my house shortly after :D

bmorris
Jan 14, 2008, 08:27 PM
i would and i wouldnt feel guilty.
but i have a critique, thats something i cant miss.

Scorch07
Jan 14, 2008, 08:29 PM
I would like to buuut I can't really miss school. You can bet I'll make a few trips to "the bathroom" to check my iPhone though.

Bowlerguy10
Jan 14, 2008, 08:54 PM
I had a snowday today and am staying home on Friday so it wouldn't be acceptable to stay home another day from school. I will however be checking macrumors.com at the beginning of every class looking for threads such as Oh my god I cannot believe it the Macbook Air is going to be awesome!!!11 from my iPod touch. Oh and I will be checking Engadget since they are advertising live updates.

Doctor Q
Jan 14, 2008, 09:06 PM
Remember that if you can't listen to the keynote live then you can get the news as soon as you visit MacRumors, or you can wait and use the MacRumors spoiler-free page (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/10/mwsf-2008-spoiler-free-keynote-stream/) to know when you can listen to the keynote, without knowing about the announcements in advance.

If you wait, you might have to shield your eyes and cover your ears until Apple posts the keynote, since others around you may be talking about the announcements.

ClassicMac247
Jan 14, 2008, 09:07 PM
If I did not have to go to school I would be glued to my "Command bunker" in other words 4 computers and 2 tvs.:p:apple:

WeAreForsaken
Jan 14, 2008, 09:32 PM
I have two classes tomorrow. 8 am and 1:25 pm. the keynote starts at 11 am my time. yay

DaftUnion
Jan 14, 2008, 09:48 PM
I actually got scheduled off work on Tuesday so it's my first day off during Macworld. Looks like I'm gonna try for the spoiler free keynote this year and stay away from macrumorslive.com...for once.

nylock10
Jan 14, 2008, 10:13 PM
I have the flu, so I'm taking a break from everything tomorrow.

ryannel2003
Jan 14, 2008, 10:56 PM
I thought of staying home and just going into work later, but that would be a complete waste. I've already decided to just go to work, and once the keynote is posted on the Apple website to watch it up there. I'm avoiding MR and watching news channels, along with AIM until I've viewed the keynote. Don't want to spoil the surprise! :D

Freddie473
Jan 14, 2008, 11:01 PM
Cough - hack - cough.

ezekielrage_99
Jan 14, 2008, 11:03 PM
There's no point for me to stay home on Tuesday because I live in Sydney, but I will wake up at 0400hrs Wednesday (my time) to get the good news (now where is a sleepy icon :confused:)

Doctor Q
Jan 14, 2008, 11:07 PM
It's the first time people have caught the flu from someone else just by sharing a forum thread. How convenient!

Rychy
Jan 14, 2008, 11:19 PM
Well I have this week off from work because I had surgery this morning... so I certainly won't be missing anything. Kind of a crappy week off, but Macworld makes it a little better... not to mention the fact I'll be ordering a new computer tomorrow. :)

Schnebar
Jan 14, 2008, 11:33 PM
Keynote starts in my 2nd period class which is AP Physic. I will be checking my text messages for the updates. Then my 3rd period is film class and I will be able to sit on the computer from 10-11 reading macrumors and seeing what is getting released. My friend who hates macs will be editing our movie. :)

I get out at lunch so only have 4th period AP english after film. We will have a sub and just read Hamlet so I am thinking of just going home then.

Wizard of Woz
Jan 15, 2008, 04:06 AM
Jessica, people will do what they like. While I appreciate (and everyone else does too) this is dishonest, you still really didn't need to be so....harsh. Ah well.

Well, in New Zealand, I'm on school break till Feb 8th (Christmas/Summer hols combined) so I will be setting my homepage to the keynote page, and avoiding all other communications.

nlivo
Jan 15, 2008, 04:31 AM
this is halarious. Everyone has their own plans on how they're getting the awesome apple news that'll be released. It really is quite funny.

wongulous
Jan 15, 2008, 07:31 AM
Repeated absences for unclear or undocumented reasons, and any related job performance issues, are usually sufficient cause to terminate employment.

Lol. The precious morsels I learn from MR. ;)

JSchwage
Jan 15, 2008, 07:33 AM
This is one awesome advantage to being homeschooled. I get to watch all the live blogs from home.

razorianfly
Jan 15, 2008, 07:37 AM
I was luck today, as I only had 'IT' second period, the rest of my periods are 'frees'. Which means I get from 11.10am today, off college. I'm at home now, ready and waiting.

(UK - GMT-8)

R-Fly

evilyankeefan
Jan 15, 2008, 07:39 AM
Shutting my office door and posting on the door a post-it indicating "conference call - Noon to 2pm".

Plus the office is a little closer to the :apple: store than home.

Tattoo
Jan 15, 2008, 07:49 AM
Truthfully, if I found out one of my employees stayed home sick for something like this I would write them up. That is in the event they lie to me so they can stay home and watch some lame keynote that will be available to watch online after they get home.

I know, it sounds harsh, but my work ethic seems to extend far beyond Apple's announcements.

You should be written up for viewing MacRumors during the day when you should be working. Its not like you cant look at MacRumors once you get home. :D;)

iStefmac
Jan 15, 2008, 08:31 AM

Yea. I could not imagine a worse excuse.

In fact if I learned that an employee of mine stayed home for that reason, I may very well terminate them right then and there. No reason to keep someone on staff whose priorities are that incurably out of whack.

iStefmac
Jan 15, 2008, 08:34 AM
Jessica, people will do what they like. While I appreciate (and everyone else does too) this is dishonest, you still really didn't need to be so....harsh. Ah well.

Well, in New Zealand, I'm on school break till Feb 8th (Christmas/Summer hols combined) so I will be setting my homepage to the keynote page, and avoiding all other communications.

FYI: Your accent is off the charts. Enjoyably.

But you don't seriously believe that more legal movie downloads will lead to less illegal movie downloads, do you?

CF Fighter
Jan 15, 2008, 08:55 AM
I woke up this morning with a 101 degree fever and I may be getting the flu. Funny how my body decided to break down on Keynote Day.

Fast Shadow
Jan 15, 2008, 08:57 AM
I'm currently interviewing for a new job, and I deliberately kept from scheduling any interviews or calls today so I would be able to "watch" the keynote. That being said if someone does call I'll not hang up on them. :D I'm actually expecting a couple of different offers today. Nice to still be in strong demand, though with the US economy being what it is I don't know how much longer that will last.

wongulous
Jan 15, 2008, 09:08 AM

In fact if I learned that an employee of mine stayed home for that reason, I may very well terminate them right then and there. No reason to keep someone on staff whose priorities are that incurably out of whack.

It's a good thing that there are laws to protect employees from ethically-retarded managerial staff doing things like that. It really isn't your business why an employee stays home, and arguably not even your business if they lie. Clearly you have coerced them into a state of beliefs that you would not allow them to have a personal day, and that they have to fit into your personal ideas of what reasons are or are not acceptable to call in to work.

You think their priorities are out of whack... but what their kid might mean to Joe and Sally, or their pet dog might mean to Brad and James, or MacWorld/MacRumors/Steve Jobs/Apple/iStuff/geekery might mean to David or Sam or any of us. How dare you for judging peoples' priorities. You are incurably a bad and judgemental boss.

But anyway, back on a positive note, I think we should agree to disagree. Clearly some people have different values and that is okay. I certainly hope that no one LIES, but if they feel they need to lie, then they feel that they need to lie... whether calling in, or asking for it off two weeks ago. If I'd have been working, I would have asked for it off weeks ago, and I know I would have had to lie because my boss is similarly unethical (and possibly in violations of privacy/EOE laws), and would want to know all of my personal business.

So let's just enjoy MacWorld, or work... and then enjoy MacWorld. Yay! And also think about the ethics of our assumptions about people, especially when we might control their livelihood, eh?

darthraige
Jan 15, 2008, 09:13 AM
I'm staying home as well. Got me my new MacPro but still excited to see what else comes out today... Hopefully we get 10.5.2!

Tattoo
Jan 15, 2008, 09:22 AM

If this was a joke - then it was a funny response! :D

If you were serious........
YOU need to check yourself before you wreck yourself. Do as I say and NOT as I do? YOU should be working! Not reading MacRumors during work hours! I mean - dont you have your priorities straight? :D:p:cool:;)

blashphemy
Jan 15, 2008, 09:28 AM
mwahaha it's exam week and I have 1 exam per day 7:25 to 9:25 EST so I don't have to miss school or anything XD

edit: oh by the way, +1 for people who just hit post reply on the first page and disrupt any stupid off-topic arguments/flaming that are later in the thread and didn't care to read

HelloImaMac
Jan 15, 2008, 09:33 AM
I'm watching from work..... since it is IT related I am working while watching it so I don't need to stay home. Plus I have my company card ready to buy a new laptop once the stores come back up.

chubad
Jan 15, 2008, 09:35 AM
I'm just a Mac-head I guess. I booked a vacation day for today weeks ago. I'm not even excited about a sub-notebook. It's just a Mac tradition. Like Christmas Day for Mac-heads with an address from fearless leader! :apple:

SeanMcg
Jan 15, 2008, 10:20 AM
Before that..

Working from home with FiOS and three computers (including a still usable B&W G3 400 introduced at a MacWorld more than a few years ago) so one can be dedicated to the keynote.

It's a good thing that there are laws to protect employees from ethically-retarded managerial.... You are incurably a bad and judgemental boss.

But anyway, back on a positive note, I think we should agree to disagree. Clearly some people have different values and that is okay. I certainly hope that no one LIES, but if they feel they need to lie, then they feel that they need to lie...

You have the nerve to call someone ethically-retarded and bad and then call her judgmental?

Also, it is OK for an employee to lie in order to get out of duties that were agreed to for something as relatively unimportant as the keynote, yet it is not OK for a manager to expect an employee to live up to those duties?

Yes, people do have different values, but when you are hired at a company, you usually agree to abide by a certain set of standards, which is effectively a shared value system for that environment.

I agree that my employer does not need to know the ins and outs of my personal life, which is one reason why general Paid Time Off is an attractive option for many companies and their employees. If you abuse that, you're less likely to hurt others.

I also agree that we need to look at our assumptions. No one who has attacked Jessica has bothered to note the qualifications she put on it: one, "if they lied," and two "write them up," NOT fired. None of us knows the policies where she works. As someone else pointed out, I think, the abuse of sick leave can end up hurting a lot of people.

Fast Shadow
Jan 15, 2008, 10:23 AM
look dear, people talking tough on the interweb. how quaint