PDA

View Full Version : 802.1x iPhone announcement?

Stang68
Jan 13, 2008, 09:19 PM
With MacWorld and hopefully the iPhone 1.1.3 update coming, do you guys think Jobs will announce an update to the iPhone/touch allowing it to support 802.1x? Can he even do that through an update? Or is it hardware?

pkoch1
Jan 13, 2008, 09:20 PM
With MacWorld and hopefully the iPhone 1.1.3 update coming, do you guys think Jobs will announce an update to the iPhone/touch allowing it to support 802.1x? Can he even do that through an update? Or is it hardware?

I sure hope so. There is a huge wireless network at my college that uses 802.1x and I would love to be able to connect anywhere!

I3eXa
Jan 13, 2008, 09:21 PM
What do you mean???? Does it not already allow you to hook up to your home wireless network???

CWallace
Jan 13, 2008, 09:56 PM
Please see Reply 11.

pkoch1
Jan 13, 2008, 09:58 PM
its only a method of authentication though isn't it? It's still the same kind of waves (or whatever they are) right?

JML42691
Jan 13, 2008, 10:00 PM
I always thought that this was a hardware issue which would not make this updateable to current phones, but I may be wrong.

Stang68
Jan 14, 2008, 01:57 AM
I always thought that this was a hardware issue which would not make this updateable to current phones, but I may be wrong.

well, apparently the iphone/touch has the hardware built in, just not enabled...for some reason.:confused:

JML42691
Jan 14, 2008, 08:13 AM
well, apparently the iphone/touch has the hardware built in, just not enabled...for some reason.:confused:
That's funny, I wonder why they wouldn't enable it?

Stang68
Jan 14, 2008, 10:16 AM
That's funny, I wonder why they wouldn't enable it?

same thoughts here...then again, they didnt enable "add/edit" feature to the touch until a couple of months afterwards. :confused:

fiftydollarshoe
Jan 14, 2008, 10:56 AM
I love these especially when they get the day wrong:

iPhone customer fury at improved new model

By Claudine Beaumont in San Francisco and Nicole Martin
Last Updated: 1:01pm GMT 14/01/2008

Owners of Apple's iPhone could face disappointment tomorrow when the company is widely expected to announce a new handset that offers twice the memory for the same price as the original device.

The iPhone which doubles as a music player and web browser, went on sale in Britain in November for 269 with a 8GB model capable of storing up to 2,000 songs.

But Steve Jobs, Apple's chief executive, is today expected to unveil a 16GB version for the same price during his keynote speech at the annual MacWorld Expo in San Francisco.

The move will infuriate Apple fans who only two months ago queued through the night in the rain to ensure they were among the first in the UK to get their hands on the iPhone.

Industry experts believe that Mr Jobs will not risk alienating his customers like he did in America by slashing the price of the iPhone in Britain.

His decision to reduce the cost of the device by $200 within weeks of its release in the US backfired when he received thousands of furious emails from people who had paid the full price.
Mr Jobs eventually apologised and promised to give credit notes to customers who had missed out on the discount.
But he told customers: "This is life in the technology lane. If you always wait for the next price cut or to buy the new improved model, you'll never buy any technology product because there is always something better and less expensive on the horizon."

Ben Wood, the director of research at CCS Insight, said: "If he does announce an increase in storage space, it will of course be a disappointment for people queued up for hours to get an iPhone.
"But it's not the same as cutting the cost of the handset. I don't think he would make that mistake again."

Apple has refused to say how many iPhones have been sold in the UK but reports suggest that sales have not been as high as expected. Sources told the technology website The Register in November that O2 had activated just 26,500 handsets since the iPhone went on sale at the beginning of the month.

The telecomms company had earlier stated that it anticipated selling around 100,000 devices over the first weekend.
According to The Register, Carphone Warehouse one of only three outlets allowed to sell the handset, along with Apple and O2 stores had taken receipt of 50,000 iPhones but sold only 11,000 on the first weekend.
Apple is also expected today to unveil a new, smaller MacBook Pro laptop computer that is less than an inch thick, as well as details of deals with around 30 independent record labels to sell music through the iTunes music store without any copyright restrictions.

This means, in theory, that people can buy songs from the music store and copy them to as many computers as they like, and play them on the music player of their choice.

Stang68
Jan 14, 2008, 11:06 AM
Interesting article, but what does it have to do with 802.1x?

Azadre
Jan 14, 2008, 12:10 PM
I feel the iPod Touch and to a lesser extent the iPhone are incomplete until there is support for 802.1X. The hardware is there, we merely need the software (Palm's T|X has an upgrade that adds 802.1X functionality).

CWallace
Jan 14, 2008, 12:15 PM
Sorry Stang68, I thought 802.1x meant ".11x" and you were referring to when would the iPhone support .11n and other standards. :o

Now that I understand what you are referring to - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.1x - I agree with you that this would be important to drive iPhone adoption in corporate environments.

We use Cisco FAST-EAP at my work (a utility), so my iPhone cannot access the corporate wireless.

Stang68
Jan 14, 2008, 12:26 PM
Yea, its the same for me. My university's wifi (along with almost everyone else's school or hospital or workplace) is 802.1x and requires a login and password. We need this to make the iPhone/touch complete! Come on, Apple! :apple: