PDA

View Full Version : knocked a PowerBook to the floor :(

Frere
Jan 14, 2008, 07:45 AM
...was browsing the net while sitting on the sofa, got up to go make a cup of tea, knocked the PowerBook to the floor. Upshot is that the case is bent, lid shuts with some difficulty, power lead connection pretty screwed but still just about pluggable. Worse of all, the wi-fi no longer works, and trailling an ethernet cable right across the living room isnt an acceptable solution. Is it economically viable to get it repaired or replace it? Advice and thoughts appreciated, many thanks in advance.

Frere

samh004
Jan 14, 2008, 07:51 AM
It'll probably be cheaper to replace it, but the best place to get a quote from is Apple. No one here can tell you what it'll cost.

I needed to replace my whole logic board in March last year and the cost of that was more than a new MacBook, which of course would have been faster.

gazfocus
Jan 14, 2008, 08:05 AM
It really depends how tech savvey you are. Where are you from? You might find someone on here willing to have a look at it for you.

I bought a Powerbook G4 from ebay a while ago and replaced the outer casing, and the board with the charging connection on and it didn't cost alot because I bought the parts on ebay and fitted them myself. Their are extensive guides on www.ifixit.com

shoulin333
Jan 14, 2008, 11:10 AM
well for the WiFi atleast use this http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/

has guides to replace everything on a powerbook, just choose your model

some are under keybard, some are in battery compartnment.... the thing is those cards are just that "cards" and they "plug in" so it could have come dislodged...

check it out

Consultant
Jan 14, 2008, 11:32 AM
With the wifi, you might want to try to reseat the Airport card connector.

Otherwise, since you have problem with the hinge, the cable might be cut.