PDA

View Full Version : Apple.com 'Something in the Air' Teaser

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jan 14, 2008, 01:46 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/01/14/144518-air_425.png

Apple posted the 'Something in the Air' teaser campaign on their website (http://www.apple.com), and promises that you will be able to watch the keynote on Apple.com on Tuesday afternoon (pre-recorded, not live). The banners were originally revealed on Friday at Macworld Expo's Moscone center. Badge pickup (http://www.macrumors.com/mwsf/) started today. The Keynote address kicks off at 9am Pacific on Tuesday, January 15th. We'll provide live updates via Web, SMS, iPhone, and Spoiler Free (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/07/countdown-to-expo-one-week-away/).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/14/apple-com-something-in-the-air-teaser/)

4God
Jan 14, 2008, 01:47 PM
Yup, now I really won't sleep tonight! :p
Come on ACD's....:D:D:D

chuckles:)
Jan 14, 2008, 01:48 PM
Drum roll please...

Manatee
Will they have Phil Collins plaing at the opening of the keynote? :)

bigandy
Apple posted the 'Something in the Air' teaser campaign on their website (http://www.apple.com), and promises that you will be able to watch the keynote on Apple.com on Tuesday afternoon (pre-recorded, not live).

That is a very bold claim, seeing as it's pretty unwatchable for the first few days because of hits. :rolleyes:

zipadidoodah
Jan 14, 2008, 01:49 PM
Why do we have to wait for everything in the UK?

ckurowic
Jan 14, 2008, 01:51 PM
It would be awesome to have live video! I have had issues in the past viewing the pre-recorder content due to heavy network traffic as well. Lets hope Apple put up a bunch of their new X-serves ;)

gugy
Jan 14, 2008, 01:52 PM

I really hope I am wrong, But I have hard time believing ACDs will be announce at MWSF. Maybe at NAB or WWDC.

MacPro was just updated and ACDs did not come along. Many people did buy workstations last week with displays and Apple introducing a new display a week later will make many people angry. Not good PR if you ask me.

Tomorrow IMHO will be:

AppleTV 2.0
Movie rentals

iPhone 16gig, new apps and who knows maybe a 32gig version at $599

ultra-portable (Macbook air or whatever you want to call it)

DMann
Jan 14, 2008, 01:52 PM
Nice touch emphasizing the Apple stem/leaf, which hovers over the apple, in the air.

Wayfarer
Jan 14, 2008, 01:55 PM
Oh, must they tempt us so! :p

elcid
Jan 14, 2008, 01:55 PM
Nice touch emphasizing the Apple stem/leaf, which hovers over the apple, in the air.

You are an English major arent you :)

MacGeek7
Jan 14, 2008, 01:56 PM
very little to no sleep tonight...

Mac-Mariachi
Can hardly wait!

Bring it on Steve, we know you will not let us down!

As a side note, given the huge success digital photo frames had this past holday season, it would be great for Apple to come up with it´s own beautifully designed version, in the $150.00 - $200.00 price range with iMovie and Apple TV style slideshows, it will be a perfect gift for Valentine´s Day and Apple could sell tons. It could possibly receive pictures wirelessly (Air?)from your Mac.

Hell it won´t happen, just bring on the MacBook Air! (Love the name)

4God
I really hope I am wrong, But I have hard time believing ACDs will be announce at MWSF. Maybe at NAB or WWDC.

MacPro was just updated and ACDs did not come along. Many people did buy workstations last week with displays and Apple introducing a new display a week later will make many people angry. Not good PR if you ask me.

Seems like there would be at least a price drop, don't you think?

hierobryan
Jan 14, 2008, 01:57 PM
you'll "provide provide" huh? well, looks like we're in for a treat!

krye
Jan 14, 2008, 01:58 PM
I'm going to take out the text and use that picture as my new desktop image. Awesome

Buschmaster
Jan 14, 2008, 01:58 PM
What does this image have to do with the UK?

They're really putting all their eggs in one basket with that line. Hopefully there is more than just one product to talk about at MWSF.

cthorp
Jan 14, 2008, 01:59 PM
OK here's my best guess. I think instead of being product specific it will be a theme. Much like the hub concept way back when. Except now the spokes will be wireless. So it will be a major focus on wireless integration across all product lines. Just a guess but what's Christmas without picking up a few presents and shaking them?

Cameron

Slip
Jan 14, 2008, 01:59 PM

Very metaphoric (ooh get me with the big words)
Shame we have to wait until 5pm over here :/

chuckles:)
Jan 14, 2008, 02:02 PM
Just noticed this...

The apple on the banners is the same as the one in the menu bar when you click it.

This probably doesn't mean anything, but i figured i'd mention it...

shen
Jan 14, 2008, 02:02 PM
i can't watch the stevenote on my :apple:TV?!?

that would be cool...

gkarris
Jan 14, 2008, 02:03 PM
OK here's my best guess. I think instead of being product specific it will be a theme. Much like the hub concept way back when. Except now the spokes will be wireless. So it will be a major focus on wireless integration across all product lines. Just a guess but what's Christmas without picking up a few presents and shaking them?

Cameron

Yep, the iTunes Wi-Fi Music store on the Touch/iPhone is just the tip of the iceberg...

(keeps pressing "check for updates" on :apple:TV...)

kiang
Jan 14, 2008, 02:04 PM
Now I'm sure a thin aluminum laptop will be introduced: the thin font, the apple logo made of a thin layer of shiny metal :rolleyes:

I have to have it! :D:D

chubad
Jan 14, 2008, 02:05 PM
I hope Steve pulls a zinger out of his hat. Just for old times sake!:D:apple:
Nothing that's rumored has me the least bit excited. A note book that's smaller. Wow. Front page news. :rolleyes:

Telp
Jan 14, 2008, 02:06 PM

:eek: I cant wait !! I'm not sure if ill be able to sleep tonight either!! The excitment is too great!

tomd89
Jan 14, 2008, 02:07 PM
Is this the new Apple font? There is certainly an emphasis on thin!

dogtanian
Very metaphoric (ooh get me with the big words)
Shame we have to wait until 5pm over here :/

Um I won't even point out what was wrong with that statement... :D

Regardless I am excited. Shame I have to save for a mortgage... damn it!

kaeckisthename

They should!

Much Ado
Jan 14, 2008, 02:08 PM

It's not on the UK Apple store.

mashinhead
not to be a downer, i'm as excited as the rest of you, and i like the new font, but does anyone else think it's a bad name?

Macula
Denny Crane...

applemax
Jan 14, 2008, 02:11 PM
Any estimates on when the keynote will be up on Apple.com? Afternoon is quite vague.

Slip
Jan 14, 2008, 02:14 PM
Um I won't even point out what was wrong with that statement... :D

Regardless I am excited. Shame I have to save for a mortgage... damn it!

Leave me be ;)

not to be a downer, i'm as excited as the rest of you, and i like the new font, but does anyone else think it's a bad name?

Here we go...

Any estimates on when the keynote will be up on Apple.com? Afternoon is quite vague.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/10/mwsf-2008-spoiler-free-keynote-stream/

twoodcc
Jan 14, 2008, 02:15 PM
now i really can't wait.

neven
Jan 14, 2008, 02:15 PM

Yes, a number of perpetual kvetchers think that.

notsofatjames
Jan 14, 2008, 02:16 PM

what does this image have to do with the USA?

i think the poster was trying to reflect how USA seems to get these sorts of things first. The website re-design was months apart for our two website, and considering you americans speak english, we should get the same images and product information as you!

bigmc6000

Eh, maybe. I mean, I'm 100% sure it'll grow on people not like, oh, idk "Attack of the Clones" (throws up a little bit, yuck)

I'm sure we'll look back on this a lot like most people did on the whole MacBook thing and the iPod, as others have pointed out got blasted by the MR community with that name.

norrin008
Well. Nice. My question is: What's right in the center of this picture? Right. It's the leaf of the 'Apple-Logo'. Ever thought of this being THEEEeee NEW, SPECTACULAR, MOST WANTED Apple-device itself - just vertikal - from a birds-eye-view...? (See form-factor of: PS3, New Iomega Drives e.g.)
So, what could it be...?

Best wishes to all of you! THIS is gonna be a long, long nite...! From Berlin/Germany, Yours, norrin008

P.S. LOOK AT THE OUTLINE/SHADOW OF THE LEAF!

queshy
Jan 14, 2008, 02:17 PM
Maybe we will see updates to the much-neglected line of iPod socks!

I wonder how many MacBook Pros or MacBooks were purchased today from apple.com...

nagromme
Jan 14, 2008, 02:18 PM
The name "iPod Sniffle" is pure guesswork on my part, but the product is a sure bet: an iPod Shuffle replacement with scent feedback, eliminating all need for a screen.

(Whatever it is can't be news as big as the touchscreen iPhone running OS X. So don't get your hopes up.)

nsbio
Is this just me or it is the plain ugliest font I have seen in a while?

markfc
i can't watch the stevenote on my :apple:TV?!?

that would be cool...

I'm with you on this one, how awesome would it be. It should automatically start downloading so it's there when i get in from work :-)

Clive At Five
This confirms it: Apple's next notebook offering hovers!

-Clive

rainmanbk
Jan 14, 2008, 02:19 PM
...and promises that you will be able to watch the keynote on Apple.com on Tuesday afternoon (pre-recorded, not live).

Why is it assumed you'll have to wait to watch it... Because no time is given? Why can't it be a live stream?

nagromme
Jan 14, 2008, 02:20 PM
Why is it assumed you'll have to wait to watch it... Because no time is given? Why can't it be a live stream?

I guess that would be morning for a big chunk of Apple's customers.

bdkennedy1
Jan 14, 2008, 02:20 PM
Take Tuesday at work and get drunk tonight like I did last year. You'll sleep right through the night, and like magic, when you wake up everything will be revealed! :)

Sceneshifter
Jan 14, 2008, 02:21 PM
Please make it a tablet... ultraportables are lame :-(

Brianstorm91
Jan 14, 2008, 02:23 PM
There's something distinctly lacking from the UK page..

rockstarjoe
I'm going to take out the text and use that picture as my new desktop image. Awesome

I had the same idea! Here, enjoy.

Karpfish
Thin, aluminum colored font? Ya.

egdiroh
Jan 14, 2008, 02:24 PM
Argh, why does everyone insist on capitalizing air, when Apple hasn't in their banners.

If the slogan were, "Something in the Air", then it would almost deffinately synch some furtherance of their Air branding already used for AirPort and AirTunes. "Something in the air", is a much more generic phrase that could just be talking about the hype, buzz, and energy surrounding this year's conference and keynote.

matthunter3
Jan 14, 2008, 02:25 PM
Well, ill have my imac in time for the keynote then lol, but i think macbook air is an auful name.

applemax
Jan 14, 2008, 02:26 PM
Leave me be ;)

Here we go...

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/10/mwsf-2008-spoiler-free-keynote-stream/

Still hasn't answered my question. When will the Keynote be on apple.com? Afternoon seems vague

csimmons
Jan 14, 2008, 02:27 PM
Is this just me or it is the plain ugliest font I have seen in a while?

It's just you.

thesdx
Still hasn't answered my question. When will the Keynote be on apple.com? Afternoon seems vague

Probably around 3-4 hours after the keynote.

iStefmac
There's something in the air alright....money......ours.

This is what this entire keynote is about, I promise you. New ways for us to over pay for the same content, albeit with refined "convenience."

miketcool
Is this the new Apple font? There is certainly an emphasis on thin!

Nice to see they're still thorough...

There's something in the air alright....money......ours.

This is what this entire keynote is about, I promise you. New ways for us to over pay for the same content, albeit with refined "convenience."

Agreed. In the air...

-Music
-HD Movies
-Wi-fi
-Wireless paying/ordering
-Sending/Syncing (PAN?)
-Controlling
-Induction Charging?
-The smell of new Apple products fresh out da box?
-Rumors or a stupid sub-notebook name
-The rush of elevator doors opening soon to reveal an amazing new REAL product tucked half unboxed in the corner

MacbookSwitcher
Jan 14, 2008, 02:28 PM

i think the poster was trying to reflect how USA seems to get these sorts of things first. The website re-design was months apart for our two website, and considering you americans speak english, we should get the same images and product information as you!

This actually is not true. Though we both speak "English", UK English is different enough from US English that localization work must be done before content can be released for the UK Market.

Secondly, due to taxes and other import regulations, it takes additional time to prepare products for the UK market.

Therefore one should not expect US and UK products or websites to have simultaneous launches.

Eric Lewis
Jan 14, 2008, 02:29 PM
http://buzzert.zanneth.com/images/wallpaper/Apple%202007.jpg

this was better

timwindsor
The more I think about it, the more an on-board EVDO card in a super-thin Macbook starts to make sense and certainly fits the "air" theme.

p0intblank
I can't wait! :D

nomad01
Jan 14, 2008, 02:30 PM

Because it relates to the iTunes movie rental service and we won't get that in the UK (yet). Possibly?? :-s

Hoping it is going to be a new product though. Hoping it's going to be the thin macbook!

applemax
Jan 14, 2008, 02:30 PM
This actually is not true. Though we both speak "English", UK English is different enough from US English that localization work must be done before content can be released for the UK Market.

Secondly, due to taxes and other import regulations, it takes additional time to prepare products for the UK market.

Therefore one should not expect US and UK products or websites to have simultaneous launches.

It's not our fault you can't spell colour or honour correctly now, is it? :p

dogtanian
Jan 14, 2008, 02:31 PM
I hope people know that apple has registered loads of domain names such as macbookcar.com etc that are all completely unrelated. Not to try and put a downer on things... I'm just interested in iPhone storage and apple tv personally...

donbadman
Jan 14, 2008, 02:32 PM
I'm thinking it's something US only at least at first, i'm vouching for WiMax / New mobile comms network from apple all tied in to wireless everything across the product line, including a new ultra portable. (bar some of the pro boxes that need wired bandwidth)

What would be cool is to be able to use my iphone as the most pimping remote control you've ever seen...

donbadman
Jan 14, 2008, 02:33 PM
Argh, why does everyone insist on capitalizing air, when Apple hasn't in their banners.

If the slogan were, "Something in the Air", then it would almost deffinately synch some furtherance of their Air branding already used for AirPort and AirTunes. "Something in the air", is a much more generic phrase that could just be talking about the hype, buzz, and energy surrounding this year's conference and keynote.

air is lighter than Air? :D

boltron
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2336/2193358882_96e56fe050.jpg?v=1200341666 (http://ethnio.com/blog) okay probably won't happen but i do hope there is an ultraportable.

tcoleman

Wow, I can't wait for the next MacBook Air thread which has a Phil Collins reference. ;)

Johnpartridge
Jan 14, 2008, 02:34 PM
Air is a device which acts as what would be called a media server. Acts as your media bridge, removing sync cables for iPod / iPhone. Everything becomes functional over the "Air".

Mac mini is discontinued and replaced by Air. (Steve addresses the reduced need of the Mac mini anymore, due to the reduced prices of iMac in earlier keynote point.)

Dimensions are roughly the same as a mac mini. But in :apple:TV style enclosure. Unit is a merge of the two devices, using processor, PSU and Hard Drive from the former Mac mini.

Designed to sit by the side of your TV and has same functionality as :apple:TV had. (though, can function stand alone without the front row interface. Just works as a bridge for your products and is configured via Itunes.

With added functions as iTunes Media Store built in and slingplayer functionality same as the current Youtube function.

Ability to playback HD video content downloaded from iTunes Media Store. (which is the "one more thing", Please note name change of Store)

Wireless content syncing with iPod Touch and iPhone.

USB connectivity for universal dock for other iPod product lines.

500gb internal drive. Ability to use as a wireless network drive via Mac or PC.

Shipping 31st Jan.
Price $499

enjoy tomorrow people.

Clive At Five
Jan 14, 2008, 02:38 PM

Yet every time an American says "we both speak English," a UK-er says, "No no no. You speak 'American English.' BIG difference!!!"

Make up your mind! ;)

-Clive

macintel4me
Jan 14, 2008, 02:45 PM
I wonder if it's from all these macrumors.com hits. :D

hadleydb
Jan 14, 2008, 02:48 PM
I used to get excited as a child on Christmas Eve. It made for a long night. Now it's Stevenote eve and I get the same feeling.

Fricken Tuesday come on already!:eek: I need a new Mac pronto!

Clive At Five
Jan 14, 2008, 02:50 PM
I wonder if it's from all these macrumors.com hits. :D

No... it works for me. But I have noticed Macrumors acting a little sluggish...

-Clive

Yvan256
Jan 14, 2008, 02:52 PM
Mac mini is discontinued and replaced by Air. (Steve addresses the reduced need of the Mac mini anymore, due to the reduced prices of iMac in earlier keynote point.)

Unless they plan on selling the entry-level iMac for around 600$CAD, there's no chance this will happen. :rolleyes:

Unless this new box can also be used as a regular Mac desktop (unlike the :apple:TV).

AtHomeBoy_2000
Jan 14, 2008, 02:53 PM
http://buzzert.zanneth.com/images/wallpaper/Apple%202007.jpg

this was better

my new desktop. :)

azentropy
Jan 14, 2008, 02:54 PM
Back in they day Apple used to stream the MacWorld Keynote live. I know they stopped as it became cost prohibitive.

However, I wonder why they haven't set up a deal with G4 (formerly techTV) to broadcast live... I would think that would be a win-win...

macintel4me
Jan 14, 2008, 02:54 PM
No... it works for me. But I have noticed Macrumors acting a little sluggish...

-Clive
That's weird. Everything other website works for me except apple.com. For me, I haven't been able to get to www.apple.com for about 15 minutes. I can get to store.apple.com however. Hmmmm

Nym
Jan 14, 2008, 02:57 PM
Denny Crane...

LMAO!

..Ermm.. Ok, Apple is definitely teasing us...
They found out that the name of the new portable had already been rumored around these sites and they basically laughed in our faces and posted this front-page image..y'know, to teach us what "ANXIOUS" really means :rolleyes:

But I swear, this year I'll wait for the keynote clip to watch it spoiler free! No MacRumors for me! not even a peek! Or... Mail.app will trick me by alerting to a new mail in my inbox making me look at the application but when it opens... my MacRumors RSS Feed shows up!! Thus destroying all existence!

nnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooo!

:)

Almost forgot! Who rates this negative? REVEAL YOURSELF!

one1
Jan 14, 2008, 02:58 PM
I can't help but feel they should have opened with Phil Colins "in the air tonight" seeing as jobs like to use rock in his Keynotes.

k2k koos
Jan 14, 2008, 03:02 PM
What would be the odds on this new Macbook shipping "today"?

both my wife and my mother in law are in the market for a new laptop. I've allready convinced to go for a Mac, as they do all they need to do with a computer, and are easy to use, no confusing balloon pop ups etc.

nickmar
Jan 14, 2008, 03:04 PM
Air: "Your home in your pocket". Take a look at this image:
http://frankreinders.nl/foto/600/apple_air.jpg

Cannot vouch for its authenticity - found out about it on Google Finance:
http://finance.google.com/group/google.finance.22144/browse_thread/thread/e955cec8b936e4e0/bed44bce63d2926a#bed44bce63d2926a/

MarlboroLite
Jan 14, 2008, 03:06 PM
What would be the odds on this new Macbook shipping "today"?

both my wife and my mother in law are in the market for a new laptop. I've allready convinced to go for a Mac, as they do all they need to do with a computer, and are easy to use, no confusing balloon pop ups etc.

My guess is probably not. It seems like every time they introduce brand new products that they take their time shipping. It also depends on whether they will use Penryn for the laptops and when Apple was able to stock up on them. I don't know if Intel made them available on the 6th for computer manufacturers or if they cut deals to sell them way before so computer makers could sell the computers right away....

4God
Jan 14, 2008, 03:09 PM

http://finance.google.com/group/google.finance.22144/browse_thread/thread/e955cec8b936e4e0/bed44bce63d2926a#bed44bce63d2926a/

Mmmm......"Back to my Mac" on your iPhone. ;)

shazammy
Jan 14, 2008, 03:10 PM
http://www.digg.com/apple/A_History_of_Reality_Distortion_Fields_Starring_Steve_Jobs

Worth checking out while you stare at the clock for tomorrow's news!

bennifer3000
Jan 14, 2008, 03:12 PM
Transition from AppleLiGothic to AppleGothic?

addicted44
Jan 14, 2008, 03:13 PM
Apple is obviously creating a flying car! The iFly. Soon to come: the iFly Pro which has the MHz to go all the way to the moon...

FreeState
Jan 14, 2008, 03:16 PM

Nice fake... whom ever made it - next time make sure when you draw a black banner thats floating to not make it perfectly square. Rotate it a little ;0

MacbookEzy
Jan 14, 2008, 03:16 PM
Hey, atm I have a the first Macbook and it has been horrible I have had so many problems with it. My dad is going to get me one of the newer improved Macbooks but I'm pushing for the new laptop coming out, but hes worried that because it's the first of it's kind it will have the same problems. Does anyone think that this will be the case? lol I know it's not even out yet but I'd like to hear what people think. :)

milo
Jan 14, 2008, 03:17 PM
Hopefully there is more than just one product to talk about at MWSF.

The rumors say that there will be plenty.

At the very least, new mini laptop, movie rentals, and probably aTV update (although who knows how much of an update). I wouldn't be surprised if other macs get spec bumps if not real upgrades, although those might just appear on the website and not be discussed in the keynote.

An afternoon stream of a 9AM presentation sure doesn't sound live to me. And they probably aren't giving a time because they'll put it up as soon as the file is edited and converted. They probably don't know exactly how long the presentation will run, nor how long it will take to put it up.

MrCrowbar
Jan 14, 2008, 03:20 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2336/2193358882_96e56fe050.jpg?v=1200341666 (http://ethnio.com/blog) okay probably won't happen but i do hope there is an ultraportable.

Yay :D

ansella
Jan 14, 2008, 03:22 PM
Look at this! I just tried the macbook pro link at the store with macbook Air at the end and it does not fail! It goes to the main site right now but the link works! I bet it will be pointing to the air site by tomorrow!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=7B723646&node=home/shop_mac/family/macbook_air

dogtanian
Jan 14, 2008, 03:23 PM

Pffft, localization work? you joking!? Apple literally port most of their adverts to the UK, including references to 'Holiday savings' (wtf!) whats all that about!? They felt they had to change the TV ad characters to Brits cause American TV ads usually 'bomb' in the UK market.

Sorry just wanted to rant, I do agree with you, just wanted to rant about that. Love the new font, sad how excited you can get about fonts though but there you go.

MrCrowbar
Jan 14, 2008, 03:27 PM
Look at this! I just tried the macbook pro link at the store with macbook Air at the end and it does not fail! It goes to the main site right now but the link works! I bet it will be pointing to the air site by tomorrow!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=7B723646&node=home/shop_mac/family/macbook_air

Well my link to the Macbook Fart works too :-)
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=7B723646&node=home/shop_mac/family/macbook_fart

You have to to that trick on the hardware pages. Worked for the Macbook back then. And no underscore!

aussie_geek
Jan 14, 2008, 03:28 PM
If they have the 160GB 2.5 inch drives, I'm gettin one!!

aussie_geek

krye
Jan 14, 2008, 03:28 PM
Horrible name. Just horrible. I hope, whatever it is, if it's a smaller, lighter notebook, they call it the MacBook Mini, or the MacBook Nano. I think that would give the product lines a consistent naming convention.

...Yeh, I definitely like "MacBook Mini" better.

nomad01
Jan 14, 2008, 03:29 PM

Yeah but that means the Apple Moon Pony is also being released:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=7B723646&node=home/shop_mac/family/apple_moon_pony

Phil A.
Jan 14, 2008, 03:30 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

replace MacBook_air with macbook_fart and it goes to exactly the same page. Do you think they're releasing that too (pardon the pun!)

megfilmworks
Jan 14, 2008, 03:31 PM
Will they have Phil Collins plaing at the opening of the keynote? :)You may be closer than you think. That would be the perfect song for the tv commercial roll-out on whatever TF this "air" is.:)

Stella
Jan 14, 2008, 03:32 PM
Apple air.

Some service that requires .Mac also....

nomad01
Jan 14, 2008, 03:32 PM
You may be closer than you think. That would be the perfect song for the tv commercial roll-out on whatever TF this "air" is.:)

Apart from the in the UK... where we'll be expecting to see a gorilla playing the drums when we hear that. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzFRV1LwIo

MrCrowbar
Jan 14, 2008, 03:33 PM
This is probably fake but interesting:

http://valleywag.com/assets/resources/2008/01/87a7fr4.gif
(http://valleywag.com/344612/macbook-air-screenshot-debunked/)

Note the rather unrealistic "2.8 GHz"

deputy_doofy

Oooh. I can take this to the gym, too. :D :D

Project

Bogus.

You can change "air" to any word you like and it does the same thing.

Here, try this:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=7B723646&node=home/shop_mac/family/macbook_fake

ClassicMac247
Its a new portable device thats for sure.:D

Barabas
They probably don't know exactly how long the presentation will run, nor how long it will take to put it up.

Are you kidding me? Of course they know!! They know every second what is about to happen. This is probably THE most well rehearsed computer event of the year.

What I would love is if they got around to putting a torrent up with the keynote... :D

smkmn13
Jan 14, 2008, 03:35 PM
Horrible name. Just horrible. I hope, whatever it is, if it's a smaller, lighter notebook, they call it the MacBook Mini, or the MacBook Nano. I think that would give the product lines a consistent naming convention.

...Yeh, I definitely like "MacBook Mini" better.

Yeah, the only problem with that is it would be associated with a "Mac Mini" and i'm sure they don't want to label the new product as entry-level.

assuming it's going to be a new laptop, i'm surprised "AirBook" isn't getting more love; Macbook Air sounds so ridic, imo.

i could see the "air" being a reference to a new, unified airport system, and the notebook being thrown in at the end -- SO jobs-y...

JackAxe
Jan 14, 2008, 03:38 PM
Who farted? :confused:

<]=)

naroola
Jan 14, 2008, 03:39 PM

Yeah... look at this... Crapbook works as well.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=7B723646&node=home/shop_mac/family/crapbook

If they are going to release a new thinner Macbook, why not just call it MACBOOK??? I think this whole "Air" thing is going to be some other type of product.

rneglia
Jan 14, 2008, 03:40 PM
You may be closer than you think. That would be the perfect song for the tv commercial roll-out on whatever TF this "air" is.:)

Would have been good except Cadbury just used it in that drumming Gorilla ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TApA1fyoSdk

Blah64

That is one of the best bits of "graphic humor" I've seen in a long time....

:D

RHD
Oh Poo (seeing as it's an American site I guess that's as good as the expletives get)
I wanted to do the Phil Collins joke!

Never mind.

Please Steve, give us a really SERIOUS laptop for 3D pros! Please, please, please!!!

Phil A.
It is my believe that Apple will cut wireless cellphone providers out of the loop by becoming a cellphone provider. Apple hopes to send a crashing blow to Iphone hackers once and for all by cutting out the middle man and providing 3G in time for the next gen Iphone. I also believe that Apple will move away from sim card support and either by going removing the option altogether or by switching to cdma.

If they switch to CDMA they'll cut off the whole of Western Europe apart from Portugal (unless they want to spend billions and several years actually installing the towers themselves, not to mention getting a license!)

concordeBOAC
Jan 14, 2008, 03:41 PM
http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006282.html

Huh ??? Could have fooled me !

:D

MakGeek
Jan 14, 2008, 03:41 PM
Steve Jobs is president Skroob from Planet Spaceball, i see him extorting the peaceful Planet Druidia into giving them all of its air. Who will play Dark Helmet?

Superjanne
Jan 14, 2008, 03:43 PM
is it 10 hours to the keynote now? my dashboard widget says so.

Maccus Aurelius
Jan 14, 2008, 03:43 PM

LOL....1GB RAM and a 60GB SSD? I'd have to take a major dose of crizzack in order to plunk down for that one. That, and of course support for a 30" display, and the 40" :P

christof69
Jan 14, 2008, 03:45 PM
George Harrison tune..Beatles on iTunes finally?????

Just my 10 pence worth....:)

http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif

dogtanian
Jan 14, 2008, 03:45 PM
Would have been good except Cadbury just used it in that drumming Gorilla ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TApA1fyoSdk

That advert is pretty cool...

vixapphire
Jan 14, 2008, 03:46 PM
This confirms it: Apple's next notebook offering hovers!

-Clive

perhaps, but one thing is certain:

the next notebook offering will definitely "Hoover" the contents of the wallets of a lot of folks around here!

iSlave
Jan 14, 2008, 03:48 PM
Here's some better suggestions -

Jobsbook Skinny

Newton 2.0

iWafer MacBot

Macbook Size-0

Oh, and the 'There's something in the air' slogan? That's just the normal smell of Bill Gates.

MakGeek
Jan 14, 2008, 03:53 PM
Some pre Keynote crowd entrance tunes.
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=193602597&s=143441&i=193603867
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=79306824&s=143441&i=79306773
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=771662&s=143441&i=771638
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=21360403&s=143441&i=21360384

Also try to search for "something in the air" in iTunes music store. weird.

Jaymes
Jan 14, 2008, 03:54 PM
Why do I get the feeling Phil Schiller is going to appear on stage and break wind?

MakGeek
Jan 14, 2008, 03:56 PM
FOUND: listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pGht71KFkY

Phil A.
Jan 14, 2008, 03:59 PM

Completely fake: For a start, all the real configuration pages say "Customize your Mac" whatever the system is (not MacBook Air). Secondly, I don't think you can get SSD in those capacities. Thirdly, the section on the screens should say "Connect your MacBook Air..." or whatever it's called, not just "Connect your MacBook..." Then there's (as you point out) the slight issue of 2.8ghz in an ultra portable :D

derrickearl
Jan 14, 2008, 04:03 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2395/2190557903_b8a04ba09f_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2036/2176140681_74a0ee04e5_o.jpg

12" screen and 1/2" thick

one1
Jan 14, 2008, 04:05 PM

Lol, it's just a macbook.. not even any "cool" photoshop tricks. Just a few minor tweaks.

berkleeboy210
Jan 14, 2008, 04:05 PM
For once, I'm actually on the West Coast during Macworld, so that means no waking up and waiting 3 hrs for the keynote to start as if I were back in Boston.

On the other hand, I'm in Las Vegas, so you can bet that I'll be non-stop at the Casino tomorrow, if Jobs does infact intro the new MacbooK!

tekmoe
Jan 14, 2008, 04:07 PM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2036/2176140681_74a0ee04e5_o.jpg

you've posted this in about 10 different threads here on MR. i think we get the point, buddy. :rolleyes:

derrickearl
Jan 14, 2008, 04:09 PM
Lol, it's just a macbook.. not even any "cool" photoshop tricks. Just a few minor tweaks.

Not photoshop, rather Google SketchUp!

Tallest Skil
Jan 14, 2008, 04:10 PM

The open look doesn't jive with me, but the hinge is absolutely astounding and will probably be how the new hinge is*. Side power button for the win!

*In, of course, the event that anything happens.

headfuzz

Sorry to disappoint, but http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=7B723646&node=home/shop_mac/family/macbook_fake

ends up on the same page. ;)

derrickearl
you've posted this in about 10 different threads here on MR. i think we get the point, buddy. :rolleyes:

I've been pretty close in the past with my concepts about up and coming Apple products. I'm just excited like everyone else!

dante@sisna.com

Tomorrow IMHO will be:

AppleTV 2.0
Movie rentals

iPhone 16gig, new apps and who knows maybe a 32gig version at $599

ultra-portable (Macbook air or whatever you want to call it)

Bingo -- I think you are right -- I predict NO new ACD's.

They would have come with the MacPro.

DMann
Mmmm......"Back to my Mac" on your iPhone. ;)

iGet Mobile already does this.......

Project
Jan 14, 2008, 04:11 PM
Here's some better suggestions -

Jobsbook Skinny

lol.

Why do I get the feeling Phil Schiller is going to appear on stage and break wind?

You are about the 6,000th person to make the analogy. Very creative.

tampaappleman
Jan 14, 2008, 04:12 PM
I am quite amused about the terminology saying that the MWSF Keynote can be watched pre-recorded on Apple's website on the afternoon of the same day.
I assume you meant just recorded instead of pre-recorded. Otherwise it would mean recorded before it is recorded. Isn't it ???!!! :eek:

thegreatunknown
Jan 14, 2008, 04:12 PM

Ok I'm not going to go out and claim why that picture is real or not but I will say this...

"Apple air" being a service of having your computer with you everywhere sounds a heck of lot more correct then some silly laptop called "Air".

Peace
Jan 14, 2008, 04:14 PM
I am quite amused about the terminology saying that the MWSF Keynote can be watched pre-recorded on Apple's website on the afternoon of the same day.
I assume you meant just recorded instead of pre-recorded. Otherwise it would mean recorded before it is recorded. Isn't it ???!!! :eek:

Give him a break. They're in San Francisco!! Who knows what they're getting into.:p

takao
Jan 14, 2008, 04:15 PM
I've been pretty close in the past with my concepts about up and coming Apple products. I'm just excited like everyone else!

too bad that "round powerbutton on the right in the hinge" idea has been there before in a sony subnotebook

(and that thing was really small ... i think it had the keyboard starting right at the front which made it more comfortable to type)

anybody knows how that was called ?

found it: the vaio x505
http://www.ar2.ru/pics/sony_x505.gif

philomac
Jan 14, 2008, 04:15 PM

1. iPhone 1.1.3 / sdk
2. superthin macbook (called only macbook) not macbookair despite rumors
3. iTunes movie rental / iTunes 7.6
4. new AppleTV 2 (Both hardware and software)

one more thing
idevice - air storage device

ipod touch or iphone would be able to access this device for media stored on this. Gone are days of NAS. Have a look at this link http://www.beepboombop.com/?p=66

all this can be applicable to apple's teaser ad

DMann
Jan 14, 2008, 04:16 PM

He will do this to demo the amazing abilities of WiMax - not even a cloud mass of flatulence can cause interference with this new-age air technology.

Tallest Skil
FOUND: listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pGht71KFkY

"We gotta get together sooner or later..." Beatles on iTunes
"Because the revolution's here..." Digital music revolution
"We're gonna blast our way through here..." Into the living room (TV update?)
"Now..." MWSF 2008 :p:D

tick629
this takes u to the apple teaser site---adress http://www.apple.com/?Will+We+see+a+MacBookAir+on+Tuesday?

eXpress
Jan 14, 2008, 04:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

You guys are being way too creative. Macbook Air is just going to be a Macbook with jetpack capabilities. For example if you are too lazy to get out of bed to get your Macbook, use the apple remote and it will fly to you. That is why there is something in the air....it flies duhhhh

DMann
Jan 14, 2008, 04:18 PM

Actually, he is a bona fide Apple Ad Rep, and he is simply doing his job.....

naroola
Jan 14, 2008, 04:20 PM
Apple air.

Some service that requires .Mac also....

I don't know about that, considering Apple would want to release a product/service that works with Macs and Windows to have the maximum market share. .Mac really only works completely with Macs, i.e. not all services work with Windows.

eXpress
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

this takes u to the apple teaser site---adress http://www.apple.com/?Will+We+see+a+MacBookAir+on+Tuesday?

so does http://www.apple.com/?I+like+meatballs

DMann
The open look doesn't jive with me, but the hinge is absolutely astounding and will probably be how the new hinge is*. Side power button for the win!

*In, of course, the event that anything happens.

Very similar to the side of the new wireless iMac keyboard, with side power button.

derrickearl
too bad that "round powerbutton on the right in the hinge" idea has been there before in a sony subnotebook

And they pulled it off as eloquently as Apple would? :rolleyes:

headfuzz

You forgot to use <sarcasm></sarcasm> tags! :p

derrickearl
Jan 14, 2008, 04:21 PM
Very similar to the side of the new wireless iMac keyboard, with side power button.

Yes, that's where I get the idea from.

RHD
Jan 14, 2008, 04:22 PM
As a 3D if not exactly "Pro" then needing it to earn a living I really want to see a high end graphics laptop and I'm worried it's all going consumer now.

Rocketman
Jan 14, 2008, 04:22 PM
Air is a device which acts as what would be called a media server. Acts as your media bridge, removing sync cables for iPod / iPhone. Everything becomes functional over the "Air".

Dimensions are roughly the same as a mac mini. But in :apple:TV style enclosure. Unit is a merge of the two devices, using processor, PSU and Hard Drive from the former Mac mini.

Designed to sit by the side of your TV and has same functionality as :apple:TV had. (though, can function stand alone without the front row interface. Just works as a bridge for your products and is configured via Itunes.

With added functions as iTunes Media Store built in and slingplayer functionality same as the current Youtube function.

Ability to playback HD video content downloaded from iTunes Media Store. (which is the "one more thing", Please note name change of Store)

Shipping 31st Jan.
Price $499

enjoy tomorrow people.

I'm with ya on most of that.

Rocketman

jonaseriksson
Jan 14, 2008, 04:24 PM
another hint at something thin is the use of a thin typeface. apple rarley uses those (look at any other graphic banner/puff throughout their site), but what could be the motivation behind trying to communicate a thin/lighter feeling? a thin product ofcourse!

DMann
Jan 14, 2008, 04:27 PM
Oh what? My first day here and my post got deleted because I said "poo"?
If not then kindly explain because it's a bit sad.

Had you preceded the word/term in question with "winnie-the-," it likely would have gone unnoticed.

motulist
Jan 14, 2008, 04:33 PM

so does http://www.apple.com/?I+like+meatballs

You misunderstood him.

http://www.macbookair.com redirects you to http://www.apple.com/?Will+We+see+a+MacBookAir+on+Tuesday?

What's even more interesting is that iphoneair.com ipodair.com and similar permutations based on other apple products does NOT redirect you to apple's air teaser site. That lends credence to the rumor that the air product is related to the macbook.

DMann
Jan 14, 2008, 04:33 PM
another hint at something thin is the use of a thin typeface. apple rarley uses those (look at any other graphic banner/puff throughout their site), but what could be the motivation behind trying to communicate a thin/lighter feeling? a thin product ofcourse!

The new iMac wireless keyboard is extremely impressive in terms of thinness, and sheer elegance in design. I look forward to seeing more tomorrow!

RHD
Jan 14, 2008, 04:35 PM
Had you preceded the word/term in question with "winnie-the-," it likely would have bone unnoticed.

It turned out that my post hadn't been deleted it had just got swamped and I couldn't find it because everyone is posting so fast.
I am very happy to hear free speech is not quite dead and I can still say "poo"!

Hurrah!

derrickearl
Jan 14, 2008, 04:40 PM
You misunderstood him.

http://www.macbookair.com redirects you to http://www.apple.com/?Will+We+see+a+MacBookAir+on+Tuesday?

What's even more interesting is that iphoneair.com ipodair.com and similar permutations based on other apple products does NOT redirect you to apple's air teaser site. That lends credence to the rumor that the air product is related to the macbook.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2035/2193846668_5eaab4ce1b_o.png

AMAZING

Obviously they own the URL!

DMann
Jan 14, 2008, 04:41 PM

Shipping 31st Jan.
Price $499

enjoy tomorrow people.

This makes extreme sense. However, I would hate to see the Mac Mini disappear, as several recording studios have been ordering them, maxed out, for running Pro Tools and Logic Pro. It would be great to have them still available for BTO. iTunes Media Store sounds like a winner!

Peace
Jan 14, 2008, 04:43 PM
With all due respect the true owner of macbookair.com who is not associated with Apple,Inc. merely registered the domain name then waited for it to permeate through the internet then put a redirect on the main index.html page.

Nothing new or inventive about that at all.

zipadidoodah
Jan 14, 2008, 04:44 PM

They're really putting all their eggs in one basket with that line. Hopefully there is more than just one product to talk about at MWSF.

Because Busch as it stated in the original quote the image is on the US site and NOT on www.apple.com/uk

Why do we outside of the US have to wait for News, releases, iPhone, :apple:TV, etc?

No doubt the UK site will change after the event :mad::mad::mad::mad:

aztwin15
Jan 14, 2008, 04:44 PM
That is a very bold claim, seeing as it's pretty unwatchable for the first few days because of hits. :rolleyes:

hmmm
maybe they have made some sort of advance in wireless technology that will far exceed the current set up

everytime they post the keynote speech it is true that it takes ages for it to be watchable due to the traffic

faster internet in the air perhaps?

Peace
Jan 14, 2008, 04:46 PM
hmmm
maybe they have made some sort of advance in wireless technology that will far exceed the current set up

everytime they post the keynote speech it is true that it takes ages for it to be watchable due to the traffic

now YOU are getting warm! ;)

mrparet
Jan 14, 2008, 04:46 PM

Apple used to live stream their events. This meant that other news sites were posting articles and news about it before Apple's official webpage showed the new products. Apple didn't like this so they decided to edit and post the keynote after the fact.

twitch
Jan 14, 2008, 04:49 PM

Maybe, but i ordered a mac pro an hour after it was released, claiming 1-2 day shipping and it has not shipped yet. It has an estimated ship date of the 11th to the 15th... co-incidence? Maybe those who ordered ACDs will get updated ones? I didn't order an ACD so I wish they'd just put the beast in the mail.... :D

I read somewhere that the Mac Pros were immediately available at retail so maybe I'm wrong, but if you were to buy an ACD from retail it would be more of a separate purchase and slightly less of a bad P.R. move if a new model is indeed to be released tomorrow..... It would have already been sitting around at the store and the store could plead ignorance as apple is typically so tight-lipped....

Who knows... I guess we'll find out tomorrow

Edit - ship time for new mac pro systems now says "within 24 hours" where it used to say 1-2 days.... More co-incidence? Seems as if they're waiting for the keynote before they ship the systems....

arn
Jan 14, 2008, 04:50 PM
You misunderstood him.

hey guys. I didn't think it would cause so much confusion.

Apple doesn't own the macbookair.com domain. I reg'd the macbookair.com domain. I pointed it to Apple.com. (fyi, Apple can have the domain if they want it.)

arn

aardwolf
Jan 14, 2008, 04:52 PM
PLEASE... that URL can say anything you want it to... It passes nothing to the web page. For instance, check out:
http://www.apple.com/?Will+Your+Mama+Kiss+My+Grits?
http://www.apple.com/?I+Really+Like+Pineapples?

naroola
Jan 14, 2008, 04:52 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2035/2193846668_5eaab4ce1b_o.png

AMAZING

Obviously they own the URL!

It takes you to the same site even if I type http://www.apple.com/?This-is-idiotic?

Again, this means nothing.

naroola
Jan 14, 2008, 04:55 PM

Apple doesn't own the macbookair.com domain. I reg'd the macbookair.com domain. I pointed it to Apple.com. (fyi, Apple can have the domain if they want it.)

arn

arn, thanks for clearing that up. Enjoy Frisco and the Keynote tomorrow.

OldTimey
Jan 14, 2008, 04:56 PM
PLEASE... that URL can say anything you want it to... It passes nothing to the web page. For instance, check out:
http://www.apple.com/?Will+Your+Mama+Kiss+My+Grits?
http://www.apple.com/?I+Really+Like+Pineapples?

ROFLOL!!

zedsdead
Jan 14, 2008, 04:58 PM

arn

I didn't realize you registered it either...thanks for clarifying...also while I see your post here, thanks for all the other hard work you and the rest of the people who run Macrumors does for us...enjoy Macworld!

build
Jan 14, 2008, 04:59 PM
Maybe, but i ordered a mac pro an hour after it was released, claiming 1-2 day shipping and it has not shipped yet. It has an estimated ship date of the 11th to the 15th... co-incidence? Maybe those who ordered ACDs will get updated ones? I didn't order an ACD so I wish they'd just put the beast in the mail.... :D

I read somewhere that the Mac Pros were immediately available at retail so maybe I'm wrong, but if you were to buy an ACD from retail it would be more of a separate purchase and slightly less of a bad P.R. move if a new model is indeed to be released tomorrow..... It would have already been sitting around at the store and the store could plead ignorance as apple is typically so tight-lipped....

Who knows... I guess we'll find out tomorrow

Edit - ship time for new mac pro systems now says "within 24 hours" where it used to say 1-2 days.... More co-incidence? Seems as if they're waiting for the keynote before they ship the systems....

I thought they were not shipping yet because of the 10.5.2 update which has the new kexts and opengl framework for the new 8800GT. I assume this update will be available from tomorrow.

bmk
Jan 14, 2008, 04:59 PM
I can't help but feel they should have opened with Phil Colins "in the air tonight" seeing as jobs like to use rock in his Keynotes.
God I hope not. Phil Collins - the blandest of the bland - please a little more TASTE in your music.

gotohamish
Jan 14, 2008, 05:00 PM
hmmm

Indeed. Or a current or emerging technology (WiMax, etc) used in a way we haven't seen or knew was possible.

GQB
Jan 14, 2008, 05:01 PM

Well, 'touch' is not capitalized, and it's definitely part of their branding.

DaBrain
Jan 14, 2008, 05:01 PM
Back in they day Apple used to stream the MacWorld Keynote live. I know they stopped as it became cost prohibitive.

However, I wonder why they haven't set up a deal with G4 (formerly techTV) to broadcast live... I would think that would be a win-win...

One would think that if Apple is gonna get into movie rentals, that streaming a keynote should be a piece of cake! :eek:

GoaTrancer
Jan 14, 2008, 05:02 PM
lol.

And I registered specifically to make a tasteless crack about Steve Jobs farting an odorless vegan fart. :( I guess I should have realized it would occur to other people too. That "teaser" really is an invitation for teasing lol.

twitch
Jan 14, 2008, 05:02 PM
I thought they were not shipping yet because of the 10.5.2 update which has the new kexts and opengl framework for the new 8800GT. I assume this update will be available from tomorrow.

Potentially, but selecting the 8800gt changed the projected ship date to "2-3 weeks" from "1-2 days" anyways...... It doesn't make sense that my system with the ATI card would've been delayed for that reason when the 8800gt orders were already delayed well beyond the keynote.... Also doesn't explain how some Mac Pro's with the ATI card are already available at retail stores (supposedly).... It really does seem as if online orders have been delayed until the keynote though.... Oh well, not long to wait now to find out.... Glad I picked expedited shipping :-p

-Twitchy

MacSA
Jan 14, 2008, 05:07 PM

This may come as news to you, but America isn't the only country on this planet that Apple do business in ...:eek:

CWallace
Jan 14, 2008, 05:09 PM

Uh, yes. :)

The first hint would be that the 80GB SSD upgrade would be a $2500 option, not a $250, at current prices. *

* - Super Talent's SATA25 128GB lists for $4600.

build
Jan 14, 2008, 05:09 PM
Potentially, but selecting the 8800gt changed the projected ship date to "2-3 weeks" from "1-2 days" anyways...... It doesn't make sense that my system with the ATI card would've been delayed for that reason when the 8800gt orders were already delayed well beyond the keynote.... Also doesn't explain how some Mac Pro's with the ATI card are already available at retail stores (supposedly).... It really does seem as if online orders have been delayed until the keynote.... Oh well, not long to wait now.... Glad I picked expedited shipping :-p

-Twitchy

3 week delay. Wow.

DaBrain
Jan 14, 2008, 05:10 PM
Yeah... look at this... Crapbook works as well.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=7B723646&node=home/shop_mac/family/crapbook

If they are going to release a new thinner Macbook, why not just call it MACBOOK??? I think this whole "Air" thing is going to be some other type of product.

Then why not just Air Book?:D

zipadidoodah
Jan 14, 2008, 05:10 PM
This may come as news to you, but America isn't the only country on this planet that Apple do business in ...:eek:

Hurrah - Sense prevails :)

savanahrose
Jan 14, 2008, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Eric Lewis http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4749782#post4749782)
(http://buzzert.zanneth.com/images/wallpaper/Apple%202007.jpg)http://buzzert.zanneth.com/images/wallpaper/Apple%202007.jpg (http://buzzert.zanneth.com/images/wallpaper/Apple%202007.jpg)

this was better (http://buzzert.zanneth.com/images/wallpaper/Apple%202007.jpg)

Yeah thanks Eric. Looks wonderful. You don't mind if I use it do you?

JGowan
Jan 14, 2008, 05:16 PM
For the past few keynotes, I've tried to have the willpower to wait and just WATCH the keynote and get my news straight from the horse's mouth (and by horse, I mean Steve)… but I always flake out and had over HERE or ENGADGET and other places for a play-by-play. I never can manage it. I think it would be way more exciting getting the news directly from the Keynote itself.

Kar98
Jan 14, 2008, 05:16 PM

If only there was some sort of technology that would allow you to "broadcast", so to speak, moving images and sound, perhaps over the air ;)

FreeState
Jan 14, 2008, 05:17 PM
Then why not just Air Book?:D

It has to have "Mac" in the name to follow all the other computers offered. They all have "Mac" in there name.

I prefer:

Mac Air
Air Mac

But in all honesty I dont think the word "air" will be in the name of what ever computer, if any, comes out. I think it has more to do with iTunes, iPhone, iPod Touch and Airport.

AlBDamned
Jan 14, 2008, 05:18 PM
Did anyone else see that Macbook "advert" that had a very similar look and feel to this teaser? It was posted somewhere yesterday and I can't find it.

twitch
Jan 14, 2008, 05:19 PM
I'd be awesome if apple dropped a bunch of bogas hype for one of these shows sometime..... Maybe for WWDC this year :p: Filling up their website and Moscone West with all sorts of banners with cryptic messages like "Something in the air", that actually have nothing to do with any of the planned product releases.....

If i were Steve, I would probably do that and then sit back and giggle while I watched the forums explode.

macbookair
What I m sure name will not contain AIR or Macbook because Apple never announces anything to public by writing on banner or else before they launch a new product. Did you see any "iPOD", "Iphone", "Macbook" ... anywhere before they reveal it? Not at all, the banner is just a slogan. Also will not called Macbook because if it's smaller and have new technologies, marketing team will brand it to a new name.

Here is a clue: I went to 2 Apple store this week and tried to get a macbook, both told me they will have it next week. They stop ordering last week as soon all macbook was sold out.

lazyrighteye

Can't vouch either, but the concepts are very interesting to this iPhone owner.

twitch
Jan 14, 2008, 05:22 PM
Have we ruled out the iPhone SDK being somehow related to Adobe's AIR platform?

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/air/

lorductape
Jan 14, 2008, 05:24 PM
you guys.... where is the speculation going to get you.... just wait 17 hours! not worth the arguing at this point!

zipadidoodah
Jan 14, 2008, 05:27 PM
you guys.... where is the speculation going to get you.... just wait 17 hours! not worth the arguing at this point!

But why should we? - it's the adults equivalent of Christmas! :p

RoboCop001
Jan 14, 2008, 05:27 PM

I don't know about the rest of these people, but while you're distracted reading all the arbitrary speculation, I'm hoarding all the food from your fridge and putting it in mine so i don't have to go grocery shopping tomorrow.

HAHAHahahahahahaaaa! [runs] :D

rstansby
Jan 14, 2008, 05:31 PM

That photo sure looks real. And it makes so much sense. Just think if you could access your whole home computer from your iPhone. WOW.

tMac85
Jan 14, 2008, 05:32 PM
do you think the fact that the background of the banner is black has anything to do with it. Maybe this super slim mac is black...with a silver apple...

they could have made the banners white or silver..but they picked black... a hint?

thoughts?

FreeState
Jan 14, 2008, 05:33 PM
Have we ruled out the iPhone SDK being somehow related to Adobe's AIR platform?

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/air/

Im guessing no - since its AIR not air.

Peace
Jan 14, 2008, 05:33 PM
do you think the fact that the background of the banner is black has anything to do with it. Maybe this super slim mac is black...with a silver apple...

they could have made the banners white or silver..but they picked black... a hint?

thoughts?

Yes I have a thought.

Apple's banners are always black.

Marasmus
Jan 14, 2008, 05:34 PM
With built-in EDGE/EVDO/HSDPA, the new black ultraportable should be the Apple TarMac, since it doesn't really need an Airport to be wireless.

anubis26
Jan 14, 2008, 05:35 PM
I don't know if I'm the first to say this, but has anyone actually gone to macbookair.com?

It redirects you to the main apple page with the teaser... but that's not all. The URL for that page is http://www.apple.com/?Will+We+see+a+MacBookAir+on+Tuesday?

I bet Steve's pissing his pants laughing right now.

twitch
Jan 14, 2008, 05:36 PM
That photo sure looks real. And it makes so much sense. Just think if you could access your whole home computer from your iPhone. WOW.

Yes but when did Apple last hang a banner at the Moscone center that draped all the way to the floor right in front of the staircase? I think that would mess with fire code...

p0intblank
Jan 14, 2008, 05:38 PM
I don't know if I'm the first to say this, but has anyone actually gone to macbookair.com?

It redirects you to the main apple page with the teaser... but that's not all. The URL for that page is http://www.apple.com/?Will+We+see+a+MacBookAir+on+Tuesday?

Haha OMG, that's awesome! It really makes you think...

FreeState
Jan 14, 2008, 05:38 PM
Yes I have a thought.

Apple's banners are always black.

Guess Im color blind...

lazyrighteye
Jan 14, 2008, 05:41 PM
Ok I'm not going to go out and claim why that picture is real or not but I will say this...

"Apple air" being a service of having your computer with you everywhere sounds a heck of lot more correct then some silly laptop called "Air".

+1.

oniq
Jan 14, 2008, 05:41 PM
What's the obsession with prefixing Air with Macbook?

How about just Apple Air?

WiMax Mesh network device - available standalone, adapter to existing computer, and in all new Macs.

OLPC, this, it makes sense.

AlBDamned
Jan 14, 2008, 05:42 PM
Ok, I'm not quite clear if this image was a mockup by Macpredictions, but it was posted after the Moscone banners were shot, yet before Apple posted the teaser on the site.

Can anyone clarify?

Edit: answered in the comments on Macpredictions (http://www.macpredictions.com/2008/01/macbook-air-sub-notebook-with-no-cables.html): "The images on this page are all speculative mockups based upon rumors"

Booooo.

Peace
Jan 14, 2008, 05:44 PM
Guess Im color blind...

Ok well they have been for the last couple of years.I think. :eek:

macbookair
Jan 14, 2008, 05:45 PM
The holder of domain name witch is not Apple INC is playing with you guys to make the BUZZ really big and he did redirect to a page.
Sure it won't be a Macbook air because they never ever gives a clue and the way they have that link named macbook air will break apple secret.

Also you can type in http://www.apple.com/?macbookair? to have the same result. My profile name is Mackookair so doest it mean because I've redirect to it, it is true to be a macbook air?

Spikeanator6982
Jan 14, 2008, 05:46 PM

you know, thats the first I have heard of this, and dang. to sure does work. WOW someone at apple is having a lot of fun.

O and on a serious note, "theres something in the air" isnt talking about a computer. Apple is going to announce they have purchased the 700mhz from analog tv. Thats whats "in the air" while I am just throwing that out there. you heard it from me first. :)

Peace
Jan 14, 2008, 05:46 PM
Apple marketing teams are playing with us to make the BUZZ really big and they redirect to a page.
Sure it won't be a Macbook air because they never ever gives a clue and the way they have that link named macbook air will break apple secret.

If you stick around MR after the keynote you're going to regret that username.:)

GoaTrancer
Jan 14, 2008, 05:49 PM
I'd be awesome if apple dropped a bunch of bogas hype for one of these shows sometime..... Maybe for WWDC this year :p: Filling up their website and Moscone West with all sorts of banners with cryptic messages like "Something in the air", that actually have nothing to do with any of the planned product releases.....

If i were Steve, I would probably do that and then sit back and giggle while I watched the forums explode.

ROFL that would be hilarious. "There's something in the air.... it's.... VAPORWARE!!!!"

Rocketman
Hey I just noticed something. For about the first time ever the PRE-Macworld home page really rocks already.

Note: apple.com today.

MacWorld - large recent growth
Mac Pro - large recent speed boosts
iPhone - large mobile capabilities and sales (new Mac+)
iPod Touch - international NOW
Mac OS 10.5 Leopard - Major back and front end upgrade

Rocketman

Spikeanator6982
Ok, I'm not quite clear if this image was a mockup by Macpredictions, but it was posted after the Moscone banners were shot, yet before Apple posted the teaser on the site.

Can anyone clarify?

Edit: answered in the comments on Macpredictions (http://www.macpredictions.com/2008/01/macbook-air-sub-notebook-with-no-cables.html): "The images on this page are all speculative mockups based upon rumors"

Booooo.

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=97730&stc=1&d=1200354122

hmm.. the top(screen) part doesnt seem to be attached to the bottom part.

bilbo--baggins
Jan 14, 2008, 05:52 PM

This cheered me up. I was all set to be disappointed tomorrow...

macbookair
Jan 14, 2008, 05:54 PM
Type in http://www.apple.com/?macbookair? to have the same result. My profile name is Mackookair so doest it mean because I've redirect to it, it is true to be a macbook air?

You can try : http://www.apple.com/?macrumors?

MattInOz
Jan 14, 2008, 05:56 PM
I don't know about that, considering Apple would want to release a product/service that works with Macs and Windows to have the maximum market share. .Mac really only works completely with Macs, i.e. not all services work with Windows.

Maybe .Mac is getting a make over and a rename
Upgraded to work with Mac , Windows and iPhone/Touch (without host computer)

This cloud is yours.

edit: air.com, air.org, air.net all currently divert to placeholder sites.

magid
Jan 14, 2008, 05:59 PM

So does anything else you type it :rolleyes:

WyoMac
Jan 14, 2008, 06:01 PM
Wow, I can't wait for the next MacBook Air thread which has a Phil Collins reference. ;)

Phil Collins sang "coming in the air."

Something in the air was originated by Thunderclap Newman and later covered by Tom Petty. Now, if Tom Petty performs at the keynote, I will regret not being there. If someone could assure me that Thunderclap Newman will perform, I will start driving the 1200 miles to SF right now.

Sir Dancealot
Jan 14, 2008, 06:01 PM

More likely Thunderclap Newman.

anubis26
Jan 14, 2008, 06:04 PM
Type in http://www.apple.com/?macbookair? to have the same result. My profile name is Mackookair so doest it mean because I've redirect to it, it is true to be a macbook air?

You can try : http://www.apple.com/?macrumors?

It's not what is on the page it redirects to (as you could even type in random garbage and it would send you to the same home page), but the "hidden" message to people visiting macbookair.com .

Apple's probably just getting the hype up for macworld tomorrow, but they also might trying to make us think that it won't be called the macbook air. Why so? Remember the fat nano leak, with the takedown notices? After that, 90% of everyone thought that was the real thing, and it was. So it could be that they're trying to stop it that way. But then again I'm probably wrong...

Eric Lewis
Jan 14, 2008, 06:07 PM

omg thats so cool

koobcamuk
Jan 14, 2008, 06:09 PM

I reckon this domain is not owned by apple.

mvc
Jan 14, 2008, 06:12 PM
omg thats so cool

Arn owns the www.macbookair.com domain, he said so a couple of pages ago, he pointed it to Apple's site.....

:rolleyes:

DOUGHNUT
Jan 14, 2008, 06:13 PM

just imagine the possibilities. being able to access your entire iTunes music library as well as all your movies, pictures etc. you no longer need a massive storage system in the iPhone and no need to sync through docking (all syncing will be done wirelessly). Makes the iPhone an infinitely better gadget.

smkmn13
Jan 14, 2008, 06:16 PM
O and on a serious note, "theres something in the air" isnt talking about a computer. Apple is going to announce they have purchased the 700mhz from analog tv. Thats whats "in the air" while I am just throwing that out there. you heard it from me first. :)

Ooh, I like this idea the best both for personal, "fun" reasons and realism. Add this bandwidth capability to an iPhone/iPod touch and you have a ton of free minutes / faster data speeds with which to play around. Only concern: i feel like this would be hard to keep under wraps, considering how the FCC is selling them off, right? (Correct me if i'm wrong...)

mrat93
Jan 14, 2008, 06:18 PM
Afternoon... which probably means earlier than 9PM EST... which means up to 6 hours of waiting after school... :(

FreeState
Jan 14, 2008, 06:20 PM
Ooh, I like this idea the best both for personal, "fun" reasons and realism. Add this bandwidth capability to an iPhone/iPod touch and you have a ton of free minutes / faster data speeds with which to play around. Only concern: i feel like this would be hard to keep under wraps, considering how the FCC is selling them off, right? (Correct me if i'm wrong...)

1/13/2008 1:08:19 PM The Federal Communications Commission will auction off portions of the 700MHz spectrum soon, releasing the so-called “beach-front property” portions to the highest bidder. The auctions begin January 24th and will last as long as bidders keep bidding.

http://www.rttnews.com/sp/todaystop.asp?date=01/13/2008&item=1&vid=0

pyramid6
Jan 14, 2008, 06:22 PM

This would be by far the most important inovation from Apple in a while. I know you can do it with VNC, PC Anywhere, etc. but to be able do this with Apple ease would make notebooks obsolete from some people. More power more storage in a desktop, in your pocket.

P6

Spikeanator6982
Jan 14, 2008, 06:23 PM

OK this DID work earlier..but it does not anymore.....maybe too many people were seeing it?

Avenge85
Jan 14, 2008, 06:24 PM
For some reason I believe that the name MacBook Revolution
or Apple Revolution are unique and enticing, especially if
any sub-notebook or tablet device relies heavily upon the
latest incarnation of multi-touch. Just think of how often the 'mere-puff'
'revolutionary' was used in the marketing campaign for the iPhone...

And as Thunderclap Newman sang "...there's something in the air...
the Revolution is here." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pGht71KFkY)

:apple: Only 17 hours remaining!

Dagless
Jan 14, 2008, 06:25 PM
I think of Abba when I think of this years tagline.

"... Fernaaaando"

anubis26
Jan 14, 2008, 06:25 PM
OK this DID work earlier..but it does not anymore.....maybe too many people were seeing it?

The guy who owns the domain might have run out of bandwidth etc, seeing how it isnt apple owned :(

Zyren
Jan 14, 2008, 06:26 PM
For all the people who've mentioned about macbookair.com in the last couple pages...did any of you read the freaking thread? it was established that arn OWNS the website and linked it to apple.com

ARN OWNS MACBOOKAIR.COM

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4750647&postcount=167

iDAG
Jan 14, 2008, 06:27 PM
This is just too much! I can't wait for tomorrow, but I'm in school so I have to just get texts. :(

crumscheidt
Jan 14, 2008, 06:28 PM
It all comes together now.....

What is the name of the font that they were using for the banner?

THANKS!!!

mvc
Jan 14, 2008, 06:29 PM
For all the people who've mentioned about macbookair.com in the last couple pages...did any of you read the freaking thread? it was established that arn OWNS the website and linked it to apple.com

ARN OWNS MACBOOKAIR.COM

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4750647&postcount=167

And I think he's just messing with us with this whole macbookair thing to boost speculation and traffic before macworld...:p

applemax
Jan 14, 2008, 06:30 PM
It all comes together now.....

What is the name of the font that they were using for the banner?

THANKS!!!

Pre 2001 - Garamond Condensed
2001 - 2007 - Myriad Pro Semibold
2008 - ???? - Myriad Pro Light

ekozie
Jan 14, 2008, 06:31 PM
One day more!
Another day, another new display.
This never-ending road to the Bay;
Everybody knows the time;
The Apple Store will have a line
One day more!

We will leave the world of today
How can we live knowing what we're missing?

One day more.

Tomorrow on another coast
To Apple we'll all raise a toast.
One more day all on our own
How is Steve so sublime?
One more day with him in silence.
He was born to be with us.
What a life the man has known.
And his turtleneck's so true
And we want to see his stare!

One more day before the storm!
Should I buy right away?
At the barricades of freedom.
How can I change that line?
When his thoughts begin to form
Do I buy; and do I dare?
When does Steve takes his place on stage?

The time is now, the day is here!

One day more!

One more day to the announcement,
We all know it will be big!
Steve Jobs and new MacBooks,
Surely I will want to Digg.

Maybe a new iPhone?
Already Mac Pros.
What will be made known
When no one knows what he will show?
Here a little more,
There a little touch,
There is so much coverage
So you won't miss much!

One day to a new beginning,
Get your Macworld tickets set.
Every man will be a tech
Every man will be a tech
There's new products for the buying
There's new products to be bought

Do you here the people wait?

My place is here, I wait with you!

One day more!

(all overlapping)

I did not live until today.
How can we live knowing what we're missing?
Tomorrow on another coast
Our lives are all just starting!

One more day all on my own!
What a life we all will know!

Bill Gates:
I will join these people's heroes
I will follow where they go
I will learn their little Secrets,
I will know the things they know
One day more!

One more day to the announcement,
We all know it will be big!
Steve Jobs and new MacBooks

Maybe a new iPhone?
Already Mac Pros.
What will be made known
When no one knows what he will show?

(end overlapping)

Tomorrow seems so far away,
Tomorrow is the judgment day.

Tomorrow we'll discover
What our God in Heaven has in store!
One more dawn
One more day
One day more!

anubis26
Jan 14, 2008, 06:32 PM
One day more!
Another day, another new display.
This never-ending road to the Bay;
Everybody knows the time;
The Apple Store will have a line
One more dawn
One more day
One day more!
That's awesome... did you write it yourself?

t0mat0
Jan 14, 2008, 06:33 PM
1/13/2008 1:08:19 PM The FCC will auction off portions of the 700MHz spectrum soon, releasing the so-called “beach-front property” portions to the highest bidder. The auctions begin January 24th and will last as long as bidders keep bidding.

http://www.rttnews.com/sp/todaystop.asp?date=01/13/2008&item=1&vid=0

So there's still time to enter/ get someone to enter / have been entered on your behalf (A phone carrier goes into agreement to share with Apple, and bids on Apple's behalf?)

mvc
Jan 14, 2008, 06:34 PM

Please don't quote enormous posts!!!!! :mad: Cool, thanks for fixing it !

ekozie
Jan 14, 2008, 06:34 PM

Yes, I did in my perpetual procrastination, thank you...

anubis26
Jan 14, 2008, 06:35 PM
Please don't quote enormous posts!!!!! :mad:

Sorry about that, I realized what I did right after I posted it but it should be ok now.

applemax
Jan 14, 2008, 06:36 PM
can't wait! 16hrs!

trip1ex
Jan 14, 2008, 06:36 PM
Anyone notice that the keynote graphic is half an apple with the leaf not physically connected? :cool:

anubis26
Jan 14, 2008, 06:38 PM
Anyone notice that the keynote graphic is half an apple with the leaf not physically connected? :cool:

Wasn't the leaf always seperated?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Apple-logo.png

FreeState
So there's still time to enter/ get someone to enter / have been entered on your behalf (A phone carrier goes into agreement to share with Apple, and bids on Apple's behalf?)

Anythings possible - however I would bet a lot of money Apple would never announce a new product or service that is based on something they do not own, only have a chance to own and have no guarantee they could even use it if someone else beat them out on the auction.

CWallace
Two major issues with that "iPhone @ Home" banner:

One - it has to violate SF fire codes so the Fire Marshall would be all over it.

Two - why the heck would Apple, after being so effective at keeping stuff secret, unfurl a huge banner with a new product in the middle of the day in the middle of a wall of glass windows with everyone standing in front of said wall with a camera?

In the past, has Apple unfurled banners at MacWorld with new products launched at the keynote? If they have not, then that's a third major problem right there.

I know we're all starved for info, and speculation is fun, but people are trying way too hard to "scoop" something that cannot be scooped...