Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
As followup to a previous story that reported on DVD+R/+RW support in early Panther Builds, it appears Apple is now advertising +R/+RW support on their New Features page.

Apple does not appear to be advertising DVD+R in current machine specs, so it's unclear how much support Apple is providing for these new formats. Many of Apple's newer Macs, however, do contain +R/+RW capable hardware.

stefman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Does anyone know the benefits of +R/+RW as opposed to -R/-RW.

Or is this just to offer more standards?

capacity

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2003
Why's this on Page 2 if it's confirmed?

edit: Oh. It's a less interesting aspect of Panther. :)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by capacity
Why's this on Page 2 if it's confirmed?

edit: Oh. It's a less interesting aspect of Panther. :)

well, yeah... it's confirmation... but it's not really clear how Apple is playing this. None of their computers are advertised with +R capabilities. The text could be read as 3rd party +R support.

arn

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I'm guessing Apple won't advertise +R/+RW support on their hardware until Panther is released... At this point it's a latent capability but the hardware doesn't do it until the software supports it.

I don't think they'd consider 3rd party support as "official" until they support it themselves...

Who's the marketing genius who made DVD-R and DVD+R incompatible anyway? Could they make things any more confusing?

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Re: DVD+R/+RW Support in Panther

Originally posted by Macrumors

Apple does not appear to be advertising DVD+R in current machine specs, so it's unclear how much support Apple is providing for these new formats. Many of Apple's newer Macs, however, do contain +R/+RW capable hardware.

does anyone know, if the new powerbooks (with superdrive) support dvd+r?

the superdrives are only dvd writables right?

BeakerAndGreg

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Twin Cities, MN
+r/+rw

Originally posted by stefman
Does anyone know the benefits of +R/+RW as opposed to -R/-RW.

Or is this just to offer more standards?

+r and +rw is supposed to offer better compatability with a wider range of consumer DVD players.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Originally posted by Analog Kid
Who's the marketing genius who made DVD-R and DVD+R incompatible anyway? Could they make things any more confusing?

Two major developer alliances at cross purposes IIRC. Microsoft is in one camp and Apple was originally solely in the other. Its just Beta vs VHS again. The only real loser is the consumer.:mad:

agdickinson

macrumors regular
+R/+RW + -R/-RW

Hi

I was at local store on Friday and noticed that 10.2.8 was reporting the DVD drive to be a +-RW so I guess some of the new G5's could have a multi format drive in them.

That I believe was in a 1.8 G5 as my local store in the UK does not yet have Dual 2's.

andrew

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Re: +r/+rw

Originally posted by BeakerAndGreg
+r and +rw is supposed to offer better compatability with a wider range of consumer DVD players.

Nope, in fact, the opposite is true. DVD-R plays on more generic DVD players opposed to DVD+R.

That was the reason why Apple had chosen -R :rolleyes:

Generally speaking, +R has some quality improvements to the format, which are not backwards compatible, hence Apple went with DVD-R to provide a maximum acceptance even on the oldest DVD players.

Ptpiz

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2003
Florida
Support for DVD-RW

The current mac os 10.2 supports dvd burning for dvd-r and it has GREAT compatability with a lot of DVD players. I have tested DVD+r and DVD+rw and 4 of my clients said that it didn't work for them. DVD-R is much better BUT... thus far on the mac I have not been able to burn DVD-rw, whcih realy pisses me off because; if i make a mistake on burning a DVD and have to re-burn it, I CANT ERASE THE MESSED UP DVD AND RE-WRITE ON IT! So, will panther support DVD-RW so that i can finally fix my mistakes without wasting precious DVDs??

dreamerof

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2003
Re: Support for DVD-RW

Originally posted by Ptpiz
The current mac os 10.2 supports dvd burning for dvd-r and it has GREAT compatability with a lot of DVD players. I have tested DVD+r and DVD+rw and 4 of my clients said that it didn't work for them. DVD-R is much better BUT... thus far on the mac I have not been able to burn DVD-rw, whcih realy pisses me off because; if i make a mistake on burning a DVD and have to re-burn it, I CANT ERASE THE MESSED UP DVD AND RE-WRITE ON IT! So, will panther support DVD-RW so that i can finally fix my mistakes without wasting precious DVDs??

10.2 does support DVD-RW... I use it often.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
On the DVD-RW, I think you have to erase the disk with Disk Utility. Other than that, it behaves just like DVD-R (as CD-RW behaves just like CD-R).

Dho, you can get an internal superdrive for your Cube. Then you'll be able to use iDVD. You may want to beef up your RAM and possibly upgrade the CPU too. It'll cost money, though. Look at http://www.cubeowner.com.

dreamerof

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2003
Re: I KNOW!!

I know that 10.2 doesnt support it, BUT WILL PANTHER????

OS 10.2 'DOES' support DVD-RW so I would bet that Panther will too. I'd rather doubt that they would remove DVD-RW support.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
...it would be nice if there was a little better support for aftermarket multiformat DVD burners.

Panther discrecording framework is substantially different for Jaguars from a hacked device file perspective.

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
iDVD

Will this effect iDVD's incompatibility with external DVD-R drives? Or will it still only work with the "Superdrive"?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
On which hardware does it work then?
I know the Pioneer A06 supports + and - DVD R/RW... is this the drive built in the G5 as SuperDrive?

DaUlf

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2003
Re: Re: DVD+R/+RW Support in Panther

Originally posted by redAPPLE

Yeah. I'd also be curious as to whether the new PBs will support this or not. Can anyone pop open the system profiler, get the actual drive name, and do a little research?

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Re: I KNOW!!

I know that 10.2 doesnt support it, BUT WILL PANTHER????
This has to be one of the most failed posts I have ever seen in my life. I'm sorry, but after reading your post I now have disdain for all of humanity. Wow.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Re: Re: I KNOW!!

Originally posted by bobindashadows
I'm sorry, but after reading your post I now have disdain for all of humanity. Wow.

Hey Bob, we already knew that from your signature :D

Its a joke BTW!

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Re: Re: DVD+R/+RW Support in Panther

Originally posted by redAPPLE

the superdrives are only dvd writables right?
My dad's 15" AlBook reports that it has a Matsushita UJ-816. Note that all previous PowerBooks with SuperDrives had UJ-815's with a variety of firmware revisions.

A quick Google search reveals that these new PowerBooks seem to be the first time anyone's ever heard of an 816, and that no one's found any significant differences between the 815 and 816 yet (although perhaps this mysterious 816 only supports 4x CD-RW burning?).

FWIW
WM

edit: All that to say that, as far as anyone's been able to figure out, neither the 815 nor the 816 supports DVD+R[W].

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.