PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV vs Playstation 3

Digitalflick
Jan 14, 2008, 02:10 PM
Built in Blu-ray player on the PS3 I think does it for me. What would be the advantage of an :apple:TV over a PS3?

This is to determine an option for my Bedroom, I have a PS3 but am wondering if I should just get a second one versus an ATV

psychofreak
Jan 14, 2008, 02:13 PM
I would wait until tomorrow (MacWorld with possible updates) to judge the AppleTV :)

Much Ado
Jan 14, 2008, 02:13 PM
Wait 24 hours and you might get some new reasons ;)

GoCubsGo
Jan 14, 2008, 02:19 PM
At this point it would appear you are attempting to compare apples to oranges.

gkarris
Jan 14, 2008, 02:20 PM
:apple:TV: Costs less, media extender that plays iTunes library on any TV with HDMI or component, YouTube, iTunes store (tomorrow?)

PS3: Plays games, DVD's, and Blu-ray

Two totally different audiences...

kkat69
Jan 14, 2008, 02:44 PM

I agree. AppleTV vs a Gaming Console? Come on, yah that's an accurate comparison for me to base a purchase.

If I want to play video games I'll buy a console. If not, I'll look elsewhere. I'm not spending the outragous dollar amount on a PS3 just to watch movies through my TV.

DizzyRose
Jan 14, 2008, 02:45 PM
:apple:TV: Costs less, media extender that plays iTunes library on any TV with HDMI or component, YouTube, iTunes store (tomorrow?)

Remember, the PS3 can also surf the internet and play DivX, however, this may be introduced in the Apple TV tomorrow.

I personally recommend the PS3, it seems to offer so much more for not that much more in price :]]

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 14, 2008, 03:28 PM
Topic change: iPod vs. Sweet 'n' Sour Shrimp.

Discuss.

GeekLawyer
Jan 14, 2008, 03:30 PM
Built in Blu-ray player on the PS3 I think does it for me. What would be the advantage of an :apple:TV over a PS3?

I think it really depends on whether you want a gaming console or not.

I don't game and don't. I do want to skip the format war and get content from the internet. I rolled the dice with my :apple:TV and keep hoping it was the right decision.

Shoesy
Jan 14, 2008, 03:37 PM

My appletv has youtube! Can you do that on a heron? I think not. :eek:

CWallace
Jan 14, 2008, 03:41 PM

Discuss.

I find the iPod to be not as flavorful, but I don't find the need to listen to music again an hour later... :D

Mac-Addict
Jan 14, 2008, 03:45 PM

Discuss.

Sweet 'n' Sour Shrimp usually only comes in one colour and lasts once, an iPod comes in many different shapes and colours and it also has an Apple logo on it. I say iPod.

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 14, 2008, 03:48 PM
Sweet 'n' Sour Shrimp usually only comes in one colour and lasts once

Not if you mod it.

Digitalflick
Jan 14, 2008, 04:00 PM

PS3 does play itunes library, no Youtube though.

I agree. AppleTV vs a Gaming Console? Come on, yah that's an accurate comparison for me to base a purchase.

If I want to play video games I'll buy a console. If not, I'll look elsewhere. I'm not spending the outragous dollar amount on a PS3 just to watch movies through my TV.

Its 399$ for the 40GB, the :apple:TV is $399 for the 160GB

I thought they really achieved the same thing, get content from your computer to display on your TV. Added bonus is games.

GeekLawyer
Jan 14, 2008, 04:03 PM
I thought they really achieved the same thing, get content from your computer to display on your TV. Added bonus is games.

Sounds like your mind is made up. Enjoy!

peeaanuut
Jan 14, 2008, 04:04 PM
I have no interest in gaming on a console anymore so a PS3 is absolutely worthless to me as a gaming system with sub par media capabilities. aTV wins every time for me.

Digitalflick
Jan 14, 2008, 04:06 PM
Sounds like your mind is made up. Enjoy!

But it's so damn sexy. Best to wait until tomorrow.

GeekLawyer
Jan 14, 2008, 04:07 PM
But is so damn sexy. Best to wait until tomorrow.

I agree with you completely about that! There could be some news on that front. :)

GoCubsGo
Jan 14, 2008, 04:11 PM

I love when people agree with me!
Remember, the PS3 can also surf the internet and play DivX, however, this may be introduced in the Apple TV tomorrow.

I personally recommend the PS3, it seems to offer so much more for not that much more in price :]]
The PS3 surfing the internet is like putting hot pokers in my eyes. I've done it and it was brutal.

Discuss.
LMFAO I'm eating mandrin shrimp right now, though not sweet 'n' sour I would have to say the shrimp is missing the click wheel functionality and seriously lacking in volume. But it does seem to taste a bit better than the iPod but I've been sick lately so my taste buds may be off.

cmcbridejr
Jan 14, 2008, 04:51 PM
Dude, do you know anything about these products?

They are not the same thing and don't try to be either.

They are not competing products.

One is geared for graphic intensive video games and high quality movies.

The other is for watching low quality videos from itunes.
Apple tv is basically an ipod that connects to your tv.

I don't understand how you can compare the two.

dmr727
Jan 14, 2008, 05:04 PM
Not if you mod it.

LOL! For some reason this was hilarious to me.

Digitalflick
Jan 14, 2008, 05:09 PM
Dude, do you know anything about these products?

They are not the same thing and don't try to be either.

They are not competing products.

One is geared for graphic intensive video games and high quality movies.

The other is for watching low quality videos from itunes.
Apple tv is basically an ipod that connects to your tv.

I don't understand how you can compare the two.

The two are capable of streaming content from a MAC, so I am comparing.

eeboarder
Jan 14, 2008, 05:23 PM
I was considering the PS3 as a media center, too. The one thing that turned me off was the fact that the PS3 has NO IR port. That means you can't use a universal remote. There is no remote on the market today that does both bluetooth and IR!!! You would have to buy Sony's remote to control the damn thing.

What was Sony thinking???

peeaanuut
Jan 14, 2008, 05:28 PM
A Ferrari and a generator both take gas but that doesn't mean they are comparable.

Digitalflick
Jan 14, 2008, 05:41 PM
A Ferrari and a generator both take gas but that doesn't mean they are comparable.

To you I guess, but somewhere in the interwebz someone might be comparing them.

Digitalflick
Jan 14, 2008, 05:45 PM
I was considering the PS3 as a media center, too. The one thing that turned me off was the fact that the PS3 has NO IR port. That means you can't use a universal remote. There is no remote on the market today that does both bluetooth and IR!!! You would have to buy Sony's remote to control the damn thing.

Using the controller as a remote is quite funky.

MikeL
Jan 14, 2008, 05:47 PM

As you should be. I've got no PS3 experience, but I would say that my 360 is a better media client than my ATV. The interface isn't as pretty, but the functionality is superior. Playing a video is just playing a video, so there's no real advantage for either in that regard. Photos, however, are where the ATV looses out by a huge margin. The Xbox is hands down the better photo viewer.

If I had to pick just one device, I'd pick the Xbox. Much more versatility, and equal or better than the ATV on all counts for the capabilities that they share.

theBB
Jan 14, 2008, 06:26 PM
Photos, however, are where the ATV looses out by a huge margin. The Xbox is hands down the better photo viewer.
That is hard to believe. On an AppleTV, I can copy over or stream any of my photos or albums from iPhoto with a only few clicks. I can view them one by one or as a slideshow with various transition options. When I am listening to music, it displays a really good looking (in an almost 3D fashion) screensaver out of the photos I have copied over. How does Xbox exceed AppleTV?

I am pretty sure Xbox or PS3 would be an OK media center. However, I don't know how easy it is to set them up. With AppleTV I don't know if it took me more than 10 minutes to get done with the initial setup. If it becomes a weekend project with an AppleTV alternative, that is not very appealing.

Another advantage with AppleTV comes up if you have an iPod or use iTunes extensively. Setting up a new library and playlists by using a different organizer software with a different interface just to stream my media to the living room is a hassle. If Xbox integrates with Zune's media organizer, MS might have a good position. Sony is at a distinct disadvantage.

MikeL
Jan 14, 2008, 07:05 PM
That is hard to believe. On an AppleTV, I can copy over or stream any of my photos or albums from iPhoto with a only few clicks. I can view them one by one or as a slideshow with various transition options. When I am listening to music, it displays a really good looking (in an almost 3D fashion) screensaver out of the photos I have copied over. How does Xbox exceed AppleTV?

Oh, that's easy. Thumbnails. I've got something like 10,000 photos in my iPhoto library. I do what most people do--divide them up into albums based on distinct events. I take a lot of photos. I've got a 92" screen in my theater, and when I want to show people photos, I never use the ATV. Why? Because I can't pick out an individual photo to view. I'm limited to going through my albums in full screen, one photo at a time, in the exact order that the photos exist in my library. There's no "hey, where's the one with the fire?" until we get to it. I've got 175 photos in an album from a camping trip, for example. I don't necessarily want to see all of them, half of them, or even many of them. I might just want one in particular.

With ATV, I can't quickly get to any particular photo. I've got to go through them all. How kludgy is that? With the 360, I get 9 thumbnails on the screen, and can easily move through my albums to find the photo I want to see.

The ATV fails miserably when compared to the 360 in that regard. The 360 has lots of nice touches, too. I can rotate photos on the screen in a super easy fashion. My slideshows for an given album can be randomized. These are things Apple should have done.

I am pretty sure Xbox or PS3 would be an OK media center. However, I don't know how easy it is to set them up. With AppleTV I don't know if it took me more than 10 minutes to get done with the initial setup. If it becomes a weekend project with an AppleTV alternative, that is not very appealing.

See, that's the problem with not doing your homework and working off of assumptions. It takes no longer to set up the Xbox than the ATV--less time, really, but both are so minimal as to be hardly worth noting. The Xbox is zero config on the console itself, and requires just installing Connect360 on your Mac.

Another advantage with AppleTV comes up if you have an iPod or use iTunes extensively. Setting up a new library and playlists by using a different organizer software with a different interface just to stream my media to the living room is a hassle. If Xbox integrates with Zune's media organizer, MS might have a good position. Sony is at a distinct disadvantage.

Again, doing your homework helps. My 360 reads all of my iTunes playlists--without having to keep iTunes open on my Mac. It's seemless. Frankly, the 360 is just a lot faster to use, particular where I don't have to wait for it to read my iTunes library. The couple of minutes that ATV takes to connect to my iTunes bothers me. It should be faster.

Apple has a nice start with the ATV. I'm happy with mine, but I can't say they've done as well as MS has. They should have, and I hope on Tuesday I can say they've improved.

If people took the time to do their homework for a media client in the $300-range, I think most of them would end up picking the 360. Beyond beating ATV at the features they share, the 360 has HD movie and TV downloads--and once you buy the content, you can download it again at any time. It also happens to be a pretty cool game system, if you're into that sort of thing. Sure, all up you're looking at $100 to $150 more than ATV, but really, how much is that to the target market of ATV? It's chump change.

exhibitionist
Jan 14, 2008, 07:06 PM
If Xbox integrates with Zune's media organizer, MS might have a good position. Sony is at a distinct disadvantage.Har ahr har. Have you tried to use the Zune media organizer? I won't get into the details suffice to say that Microsoft is most certainly not in a good position.

Digitalflick
Jan 14, 2008, 07:15 PM
As you should be. I've got no PS3 experience, but I would say that my 360 is a better media client than my ATV. The interface isn't as pretty, but the functionality is superior. Playing a video is just playing a video, so there's no real advantage for either in that regard. Photos, however, are where the ATV looses out by a huge margin. The Xbox is hands down the better photo viewer.

If I had to pick just one device, I'd pick the Xbox. Much more versatility, and equal or better than the ATV on all counts for the capabilities that they share.

I wish I knew someone with a 360 so I could try the media function out. Sounds like another option. Thanks

pilotError
Jan 14, 2008, 07:21 PM
I have to say...

I have both. The PS3 is more flexible, but the ATV interface blows away the PS3 if you have anything more than a basic library. Being able to use the iTunes playlists is a big thing. You can create PS3 playlists, but it's not nearly as elegant.

PS3 does have its advantages though, obviously blu-ray, dvd upscaling, can use my ReadyNAS iTunes server (ATV can't do that). Plays Divx.

I think the PS3 is a fantastic value, much more than the ATV, but it is limited. Sony knows that there are loads of folks out there that bought it for everything but gaming, and the software has been coming along.

If they beef up the menu structure, maybe add iTunes support, the thing would be pretty good. I've downloaded trailers to it using the PS3 store (whatever it's called), and they look pretty nice.

I like them both very much, but the ability to use my ReadyNAS drive is a major bonus.

exhibitionist
Jan 14, 2008, 07:48 PM
I wish I knew someone with a 360 so I could try the media function out. Sounds like another option. ThanksNONONONO. I made this mistake. Zune software is unfixable bloated garbage. I had to get TVersity and setup a uPnP media server just to play anything. All is not well, though. The 360 will only decode WM7-9 video streams. How much of your video is encoded using WMP7-9? Most of my stuff is XviD/x264, so TVersity has to convert these files ON-THE-FLY to a Windows Media stream. As you can imagine, the result is anything but pretty on less-than-spectacular hardware. I liked blocks when I was a kid; I'm not so fond of them nowadays.

How about music, you ask? Well! You absolutely CANNOT transfer music over the network to be stored locally on your 360. Tunes can only be streamed; your PC must remain ON the entire time, or, alternatively, you can, utilizing Microsoft's great generosity, re-rip your entire CD collection with awful optics, resulting firstly in a great loss of time and, what's more, in terrible quality sound due to all the interpolation. Why the hell did I buy this $400+ 160GB 'Elite' media shitfest, you ask? TO BUY TRASH FROM XBOX MARKETPLACE IN A SYSTEM THAT ENSURES THAT YOU HAVE MONEY INVESTED IN XBOX(tm) POINTS! AT ALL TIMES.

In short, please, do not look toward Microsoft to fulfill any of your media-related needs. If they get enough foothold, they will lock digital media down completely.

bacaramac
Jan 14, 2008, 07:54 PM
I wish I knew someone with a 360 so I could try the media function out. Sounds like another option. Thanks

I wouldn't call this an option. I always had issues trying to stream stuff on old pc. Atv is much better user experience and well organized as long as itunes is. Just need some updates for f/w hopefully coming tomorrow.

lostless
Jan 14, 2008, 08:26 PM
The 360 will only decode WM7-9 video streams. How much of your video is encoded using WMP7-9? Most of my stuff is XviD/x264, so TVersity has to convert these files ON-THE-FLY to a Windows Media stream..

The xbox 360 CAN play that and Mpeg4, H.264, and divx all natively. I use connect 360 on my mac and stream movies to my xbox all the time and all 4 of those formats work just fine, no transcoding.

spjonesi
Jan 14, 2008, 08:42 PM

Well, check out www.schmartz.com

Some enterprising individual has figured out how to make an IR receiver work with the PS3. One even does power on. I've done this with my PS3, note that I had to use a friends PSP to do so.

Also, FWIW, I have a 360, Wii, PS3, :apple:TV, and a TivoHD.
...I'll say that it is my opinion that the PS3 is a (distant) second to the TivoHD. I do really like my :apple:TV. The ability to run almost any file with the patchstick mods is great but it lacks in a two key areas, imo. I'd love to see HD content on it (720p and 1080i would suffice), though I am afraid of how BIG the files would be in comparison with the space I have for my files. The second is one that has been beaten to death.....5.1 sound is kind of a must these days.

spjoneSi

supafly1703
Jan 14, 2008, 10:22 PM
...but can someone who has successfully done this tell me how to setup up Mac content streaming to PS3? Just got one.

THANKS!

eeboarder
Jan 14, 2008, 10:52 PM

I think the thread's intention is to compare the media center capabilities of the PS3 and the AppleTV. Not a game console with a media streamer. Don't post ridiculous comments if you don't know anything about it. The PS3 is a powerful media center.

Out of the box, PS3 wins.....native Divx support, nice interface, and BluRay make it a winner, but the AppleTV can be modded to be very powerful as well.

peeaanuut
Jan 15, 2008, 12:25 AM
I think the thread's intention is to compare the media center capabilities of the PS3 and the AppleTV. Not a game console with a media streamer. Don't post ridiculous comments if you don't know anything about it. The PS3 is a powerful media center.

Out of the box, PS3 wins.....native Divx support, nice interface, and BluRay make it a winner, but the AppleTV can be modded to be very powerful as well.

It wasn't a ridiculous comment. It was going with exactly what the first commenter said. The thread starter was not comparing the media capabilites, he/she was comparing the entire device by mentioning the blu-ray and gaming capabilities. If this was a media only comparison it would be fair, but the original poster simply started the thread as another bash the AppleTV fest and we are not biting. The PS3 is horrible as a media server. Clunky software and too much fenageling to get it work semi decently. Its a very good game system, but a very bad media center.

Plus I love how people tout Divx as the 2nd coming of video codecs. Its is by far one of the worst codecs I have ever used. Quite horrid looking.

MikeL
Jan 15, 2008, 12:51 AM
In short, please, do not look toward Microsoft to fulfill any of your media-related needs. If they get enough foothold, they will lock digital media down completely.

You seem to be rather angry, and in possession of a great deal of misinformation. Perhaps you have an agenda?

zimtheinvader
Jan 15, 2008, 01:53 AM
PS3 Absolutely! A more accurate comparison would be PS3 vs Macmini. The PS3 can do Divx, MP4, Mp3, DVD, can do Blu-ray which is now official next-gen HD, has a web browser, LINUX (out of the box -for free!!!), has great cheap PSN games even if you don't like expensive games (Everyday shooter- best $6.00 ever spent!) and everything can be controlled wireless including on/off. All multimedia/web can be wirelessly streamed to PSP anywhere in the world via wifi.

Plus there are deals floating around giving you the PS3+Game+Remote for $299 when you sign up for a Sony Credit Card, so really, why wouldn't you go for the PS3?

I would say the only reason to get an AppleTV would be if you have a huge itunes library of protected content, even so, I would still get a PS3!

Scarpad
Jan 15, 2008, 07:19 AM

Maybe they were thinking about making you buy a Sony Remote..duh.

tobefirst
Jan 15, 2008, 09:26 AM

I bought this remote from Nyko (http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=113). It takes up one of my two USB ports, but it allows me to use my Logitech Harmony remote with it. The best part was that Logitech even had the Nyko remote in their database, so I didn't even have to program it.

The only thing I can't do is turn the system on and off.

eeboarder
Jan 15, 2008, 10:06 AM
I bought this remote from Nyko (http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=113). It takes up one of my two USB ports, but it allows me to use my Logitech Harmony remote with it. The best part was that Logitech even had the Nyko remote in their database, so I didn't even have to program it.

The only thing I can't do is turn the system on and off.

Yeah. I read about that. You still need to either get up or have another device to turn it off and on, though.

eeboarder
Jan 15, 2008, 10:13 AM
Original Post:

This is to determine an option for my Bedroom, I have a PS3 but am wondering if I should just get a second one versus an ATV

Peeaanuut's Post:
It wasn't a ridiculous comment. It was going with exactly what the first commenter said. The thread starter was not comparing the media capabilites, he/she was comparing the entire device by mentioning the blu-ray and gaming capabilities. If this was a media only comparison it would be fair, but the original poster simply started the thread as another bash the AppleTV fest and we are not biting. The PS3 is horrible as a media server. Clunky software and too much fenageling to get it work semi decently. Its a very good game system, but a very bad media center.

Plus I love how people tout Divx as the 2nd coming of video codecs. Its is by far one of the worst codecs I have ever used. Quite horrid looking.

No gaming mentioned. Most likely a media center question. Also, he has several posts in this thread related to media capabilities. He's not out to bash on anything, but you apparently are. Also, Divx is a great codec and there's a reason why most people convert with it. It looks great and compresses nicely. Why do you think most people hack the AppleTV.....to watch Divx encoded videos. I guarantee that everyone with a hacked AppleTV has Perian installed for this reason.

Who would complain about the addition of a BluRay Player on an AppleTV anyway? I know I would enjoy it.

Digitalflick
Jan 15, 2008, 01:29 PM
Well, I suppose every thread turns into a bash this bash that no matter what the case may be.

Anyways, the point of the thread was to compare the media capabilities of each device.

spjonesi
Jan 15, 2008, 01:39 PM
Well, check out www.schmartz.com

Some enterprising individual has figured out how to make an IR receiver work with the PS3. One even does power on. I've done this with my PS3, note that I had to use a friends PSP to do so.

Also, FWIW, I have a 360, Wii, PS3, :apple:TV, and a TivoHD.
...I'll say that it is my opinion that the PS3 is a (distant) second to the TivoHD. I do really like my :apple:TV. The ability to run almost any file with the patchstick mods is great but it lacks in a two key areas, imo. I'd love to see HD content on it (720p and 1080i would suffice), though I am afraid of how BIG the files would be in comparison with the space I have for my files. The second is one that has been beaten to death.....5.1 sound is kind of a must these days.

spjoneSi

OK, so I am now eating my words. THANK YOU APPLE! :apple:tv could be taking over the second to my tivo HD slot...only thing that is missing is TV Shows in HD. Please oh please oh please oh please....

spjoneSi

Trudy
Jan 15, 2008, 02:14 PM

Apple TV only streams from iTunes. PS3 streams from any DLNA (a home entertainment networking standard) compatible software. Unfortunately, that doesn't include iTunes; even Windows Media Player does DLNA.

ATV only does H.264/MPEG4. PS3 does H.264/MPEG4, DivX, XviD, WMV, MPEG1 and MPEG2.

You can hook an external hard drive to a PS3 to extend the local storage capacity.

You get one of the best Blu-ray players on the market, and one of the best upsampling DVD players.

You can do Folding@Home faster than any PC that may cost over four times as much.

The iTunes store thing with rentals, etc., would also just be a matter of a software update for the PS3. Sony has been churning them out regularly, adding a lot of functionality with each one.

Oh, and it plays games.

OTOH, a PS3 is more expensive, sucks a lot more power and makes more noise than an ATV, and it's bigger.

Trudy
Jan 15, 2008, 02:23 PM

That IR sucks, is slow, is unreliable, and they can make the console less expensive by using Bluetooth for both the controller and the remote. I for one am happy that I don't need to have a line-of-sight to the PS3 in order to use the remote. It doesn't matter that the coffee table is in the way, or I'm in the next room and want to change songs, or I'm feeling really lazy and simply don't feel like pointing it.

Just wait, universal Bluetooth remotes will come. There's pretty much nothing that can't be done with one, including wirelessly pulling down the latest manufacturer codes from the web via your computer's Bluetooth.

MikeL
Jan 15, 2008, 02:41 PM
Just wait, universal Bluetooth remotes will come. There's pretty much nothing that can't be done with one, including wirelessly pulling down the latest manufacturer codes from the web via your computer's Bluetooth.

Other than, you know, controlling things other than the PS3, like TVs, amplifiers, projectors, and the like. :D Other than that, a BT universal remote would be great.

theBB
Jan 15, 2008, 03:25 PM
Oh, that's easy. Thumbnails.
Oh, that's a nice touch. I like that. I usually like going through whole albums, but it would be a nice option.

See, that's the problem with not doing your homework and working off of assumptions. It takes no longer to set up the Xbox than the ATV--
Why are you so angry? What assumptions? I said "I don't know how easy it is to set them up". Geez, chill out. In any case, a few people chimed that did not like the interface of Xbox, so whateever...

Sure, all up you're looking at $100 to $150 more than ATV, but really, how much is that to the target market of ATV? It's chump change.
Not for me. I'd rather keep my $170, as I don't play video games.

Vapor
Jan 15, 2008, 04:14 PM
Well I wish someone would tell me what an Apple tv will do that My 360 will not. I know Apple tv will not stream 1080i quicktime movies or MPEG4. I jsut wish they would use there heads.

Trudy
Jan 15, 2008, 05:36 PM
Other than, you know, controlling things other than the PS3, like TVs, amplifiers, projectors, and the like. :D Other than that, a BT universal remote would be great.
Anything that a manufacturer makes Bluetooth enabled will do it. But it's up to the manufacturers to finally come into this century. Bluetooth is very interoperable, remember people controlling their Bluetooth Macs with the early Bluetooth cell phones? There's already a software library out enabling people to control a PC using the Wii remote (it's Bluetooth). It's all just a matter of implementing the standard.

eeboarder
Jan 15, 2008, 08:54 PM
Well I wish someone would tell me what an Apple tv will do that My 360 will not. I know Apple tv will not stream 1080i quicktime movies or MPEG4. I jsut wish they would use there heads.
Well, the 360 will run up your energy bill and break. I kind of kidding about that, but not really. The 360 is so damn loud, I can barely enjoy my HD-DVD addon. It broke once on me, too. I like several games on it, but the AppleTV interface is much cleaner and less convoluted. The user interface on AppleTV beats the 360 hands down.

Also, I think it streams HD with surround sound with the update today.

docprego
Jan 16, 2008, 01:22 AM
I am debating the Apple TV vs the PS3 very heavily. The new AppleTV has one shortcoming that I cannot get past. It will not output 5.1 audio on standard definition movie rentals. Being that it is a component in my home theater this is a major drawback for me. Then again the PS3 has no online rental content at all, but it does play SD DVD and BD. I am investigating the MediaLink app by Nullriver which allows streaming of content from my Mac to the PS3, this might be a nice setup. http://www.nullriver.com/index/products/medialink

nordesmic
Jan 16, 2008, 03:21 AM
I am debating the Apple TV vs the PS3 very heavily. The new AppleTV has one shortcoming that I cannot get past. It will not output 5.1 audio on standard definition movie rentals. Being that it is a component in my home theater this is a major drawback for me. Then again the PS3 has no online rental content at all, but it does play SD DVD and BD. I am investigating the MediaLink app by Nullriver which allows streaming of content from my Mac to the PS3, this might be a nice setup. http://www.nullriver.com/index/products/medialink

Go for MediaLink. Works very well. Can stream all file types that the PS3 can play. Even shows album art for the music.

A wired setup between a PS3 and a Mac would be perfect for HD streaming. I only have wireless which is great but not quite fast enough.

elppa
Jan 16, 2008, 03:24 AM
Why does everyone want DivX so bad?

eeboarder
Jan 16, 2008, 09:28 AM

If you have thousands of movies and songs like I do, you should reconsider the PS3 as a media center. Watch this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h2JZV7LbEZk

The interface is very nice, but handles lots of media horribly.

Vapor
Jan 16, 2008, 02:41 PM
Please give me a reason to buy a PS3.......I don't need much of one. I would have already done it if someone would figure out how to compress AIC back into AVCHD then I could just burn a regular dvd with the AVCHD video and play full HD back using blueray.

My current fix is to stream quicktime HD 1080 over to my 360 and then play it. the problem is the files are huge.

theBB
Jan 19, 2008, 08:20 PM
Why does everyone want DivX so bad?
I guess it is due to its prevalence among the video files traded in illegal file sharing networks. If you are going to rip your own DVDs, I don't see any harm in using regular MPEG4 or H264 files.

eeboarder
Jan 22, 2008, 10:42 AM
I guess it is due to its prevalence among the video files traded in illegal file sharing networks. If you are going to rip your own DVDs, I don't see any harm in using regular MPEG4 or H264 files.

This is true, but if you convert the same DVD using DivX and H.264, there is a significant difference. The DivX encode looks slightly better. Ripping my own DVDs, I noticed this and now choose DivX over H.264.

decadentdave
Jan 30, 2008, 12:00 PM
Gotta go with PS3 on this one.

Plays Blu-rays in full 1080p with uncompressed TrueHD audio. I'll take Blu-ray any day over H.264 compressed resolution. I can transport media to my PS3 and play divx movies I've downloaded vs. paying iTunes to "rent" a movie for 24 hours. Talk about eating money. If I want to "pay" for a movie, I want to "own" it. AppleTV is just a dedicated vending machine to make money for Apple. They might as well put a slot on the front of it to insert coins or bills.

Oh, and, I could install the Mac OS on my PS3 if I want. But then, why would I even need to buy a Mac? :D:apple:

Chris Blount
Jan 30, 2008, 10:22 PM
I have both the PS3 and Apple TV.

While I agree with you guys that the PS3 is more versatile, I must give a nod to Apple TV. It's easier to use. Let's face it, most people are not geek heads like us. The Apple TV makes it easy for the average person to partake in what can be a very complicated process downloading movies and TV shows.

Yes, the PS3 is a big part of my home theater system for movies, games and downloads but the Apple TV fills the void for a quick way to access a huge library that can be viewed in my living room instead of on my computer screen. Also, browsing YouTube is fun.

My advice would be to look at what each system does and decide what is right for your own situation. Comparing the PS3 and Apple TV is kind of hard since they are aimed at different audiences.

tronic72
Jan 31, 2008, 11:45 AM
Wow this this the dumbest thread I've seen on here for quite some time.

Congratulations!

I thought I'd have a thread to compare the Apple TV with a Spoon. What do you all think?

:rolleyes:

ansalmo
Jan 31, 2008, 12:26 PM
Well, the 360 will run up your energy bill

It's well worth thinking about - the power consumption figures I've seen for each device when playing movies are rather variable:

:apple:tv - 20W
Xbox360 - 125W
PS3 - 175W :eek:

Save the planet - buy an :apple:tv :)

pilotError
Jan 31, 2008, 12:32 PM

Congratulations!

I thought I'd have a thread to compare the Apple TV with a Spoon. What do you all think?

Hey, go for it...

Can't be any dumber than jumping into a thread with absolutely no input into the conversation but to say its dumb...

It's a perfectly valid question. In the end, its what your looking for. I use my PS3 for Blu-Ray and DVD playback as well as games. It's the best Blu-Ray player out there as it's software upgradeable. It does do a limited amount of media center stuff, but I'm finding it's too quirky to use on a regular basis. If you have a large library, the interface is too limiting. I hate having a video work one day and not the next. It's happened too many times to be reliable. It takes forever to scroll to the bottom of a large list and it sometimes stops in the middle for no apparent reason. Hopefully the media center stuff will improve over time.

ATV is used mainly for Music and Photos. I love the screen saver with the flying photos. It works very well with iTunes without having to buy additional software. Not the best for Movies, we'll see what ATV2 software brings.

jfr8614
Feb 13, 2008, 03:39 PM
I see your reasons for comparison. I personally have a ps3 in my living room. PC with vista(with wmc) in the bedroom and a mac mini in my truck. They all have great qualities including many strengths and weaknesses.
You can now get a usb ir adapter for the front of the ps3 to control it with your universal remote (this is a huge step for a media hub setup http://schmartz.com/main.sc)
The ps3 for me is a must have 1 because it's a great blue-ray player held back previously only by the lack of universal remote support. I love it as a game system and it's updated constantly. There were rumors sony was going to launch a itunes like store for the ps3 buy i'm not holding my breath. The media streaming capabilities are good but would be even better if it fully supported windows media center and not just wmp because you could then add tuners and have direct downloading of certain content.
I would actually love to pick up an appletv given the low cost but I can't yet justify it as I already have the ps3.

HotRodGuy
Feb 13, 2008, 03:59 PM
I bought this and then synced it with my harmony in order to control my PS3. Just doesn't have on/off capability which i'm fine with.

sorry, didn't put in the link:

http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=113

jaw04005
Feb 13, 2008, 04:39 PM
Just took the time read through all of this thread, and I must say unless you actually own a PS3 you really can't truly understand its limitations as a media device.

The only advantage the PS3 has over the Apple TV is its wider array of codec support. However, even that is flawed. Sony purposely limited both WMV and DivX playback to 2GB. I would assume this artificial limit was imposed to prevent playback of pirated HD files.

The media interface on the PS3 is archaic. You have to navigate a directory-like structure of files in each category (Music, Photos and Video). Thumbnails for music and video are not available unless you copy your media files to your PS3's internal hard drive.

The PS3 supports FAT32 external drives only. Therefore, all files must be 4GB or less and have shortened file names.

Media streaming is limited, and wasn't even reliable until the latest firmware update. There's no automatic media syncing support.

The PS3 lacks an RSS aggregator (no podcast support). There's no movie rentals or TV shows available from the PlayStation Store.

I could seriously go on.

You would think Sony who owns Sony Pictures (Jerry Maguire, Jumanji, etc) and Sony Pictures Television (King of Queens, Seinfeld, The Shield, etc) could come up with something.

Not to mention, Sony Computer Entertainment owns a tons of software properties even iTunes-like applications (SonicStage, etc).

The PS3 is the best Blu-ray player you can buy, and has some cool game titles that are coming soon (Little Big Planet, Metal Gear, wahoo) but the notion that the PS3 even remarkably competes as a media center-like device is a complete joke.

The problem is not the PS3's hardware, it's a powerful device. It's the software. I mean do these divisions talk to each other? What's with the lack of integration?

luis138
Feb 13, 2008, 04:42 PM

Discuss.

This has been the funniest thing I have read in a looong time. I actually laughed out loud. People were looking at me like if I am mad.

Luis

omni
Feb 13, 2008, 04:43 PM
I mean do these divisions talk to each other? What's with the lack of integration?

I used to work on the playstation side of things and no...they don't talk to each other at all. We used to joke that we were all surprised the PS3 ever got a blu ray player. That's seriously how bad it is.

smiddlehurst
Feb 13, 2008, 04:55 PM
The media interface on the PS3 is archaic. You have to navigate a directory-like structure of files in each category (Music, Photos and Video). Thumbnails for music and video are not available unless you copy your media files to your PS3's internal hard drive.

*Ding!* This is exactly the reason I didn't buy a PS3 as a media player a few weeks ago. I have a PSP and have already found the interface on that device extremely annoying when browsing through a few GB of data on a memory stick. I cannot imagine the horror of trying to use a derivative to go through close to a couple of Terabytes of data (targeted space based on the number of DVD's I have to rip).

I did briefly consider using my Xbox 360, to the point of paring it with Vista. Much nicer interface however even my Elite is too loud to want to use it full time as a media player and, more importantly, it's fiddly to use (fire up 360, wait for boot, go to media blade etc).

Currently I've got my Macbook doing front row duties and it's damn near perfect. Well thought through interface, fast(ish) to respond and offers podcasts, photos etc as well as movies. At some point the Macbook will get moved to the second bedroom where it can live a nice quiet life ripping DVD's and it'll get replaced with an :apple:TV. Hopefully by the time it does there'll be a suitable solution to handle organising a few hundred movies in a suitably funky way...

jaw04005
Feb 13, 2008, 06:17 PM
I used to work on the playstation side of things and no...they don't talk to each other at all. We used to joke that we were all surprised the PS3 ever got a blu ray player. That's seriously how bad it is.

That's what I figured. It's really unfortunate that a big conglomerate like Sony can't get their media assets together to make a nice box for the living room. Sounds like a company in dire need of restructuring.

theanimala
Feb 15, 2008, 10:06 AM

Congratulations!

Wow, this is one of the dumbest replies I've seen on here for quite some time. Glad you didn't read through the thread to see how the two products do overlap in their ability to be a media server. I wish someone would take a Spoon and shove it down your throat.

Scarpad
Feb 15, 2008, 10:10 AM
The GUI on the Apple TV is much better as a Media Center than the PS3. The PS3 plays Media fine from it's drive and streaming, and it does handle more formats AVC and Divx, but the implementation of how to sort all that media is slipshod at best. The PS3 is a Game machine first and formost, and as a Plus it can stream and play media. But the ATV with it's menus are better suited for the task

tstarks33
Feb 15, 2008, 06:26 PM
The GUI on the Apple TV is much better as a Media Center than the PS3. The PS3 plays Media fine from it's drive and streaming, and it does handle more formats AVC and Divx, but the implementation of how to sort all that media is slipshod at best. The PS3 is a Game machine first and formost, and as a Plus it can stream and play media. But the ATV with it's menus are better suited for the task

Yeah, better menus definitely trumps the advantages of the PS3, including the ability to play more formats.

mensrea
Feb 15, 2008, 07:17 PM
Well, as someone who has both (got both at release), I can say that they are both fabulous products with their own strengths; and as has been alluded to, the PS3 is likely to get even better soon.

As of today; however, with the exception of a few tests which worked just fine, I don't do vid or music on my PS3. It already is the best blu-ray option out there and is the only one that's ready for the next round of upgrades today [That is to say, it is completely forward compatible while no other BR player on the market is.]

There are many advantages to the PS3, keyboard, mouse, better/fuller interwebs browsing (err uhh by "better/fuller" - I mean - existent), streaming photos is easier and way slicker on the PS3 (IMO), and it actually has CD, DVD playback with fantastic upscaling and a neat selection of visualizers, etc. Controlling it with a game controller is LAME, but the Bluetooth remote KICKS YKW!

To me, the question comes down to this (if you must choose): do you want to go all digital or do you want to do it all/in one box (or parabola?) with optical disk/removable flash card expansion slots.

Those folk with their noses in the air saying they don't play vidya games (well, la tee da.) need to take a closer look; the PS3 is an awesome piece of equipment in every respect. Don't forget easy expansion/transfer via sd/msp.

The PS3 is easily the more broadly capable device, and it is just as slick and solid as anything Jobs and company are making. As such, it's not [as some have suggested] a completely inane comparison. For the well educated technophile, it is a very interesting choice/question.

There is not a single thing [broadly- please no one insult my or their own intelligence by making some obvious and inane comment like "you can't download rentals from iTunes"] that ATV can do that PS3 cannot, the converse is not true.

megfilmworks
Feb 15, 2008, 08:54 PM
I have to agree. I love them both. The BluRay is excellent as well as the bluetooth remote. Web browsing is clumsy, but at least it exists. And of course the gaming. (Which I play sometimes)
But if I am going to look at trailers, podcasts, etc. or listen to my iTunes library then Apple TV is great.

Choosing one or the other would be tough. (except on my remote)

salimdao
Feb 15, 2008, 09:09 PM
PS3 + Medialink = ATV substitute. with Medialink, you can stream your music, photos, and videos from your Mac to your PS3. also, with the PS3's remote play function, you can stream that content straight to your PSP. theres the obvious advantages that ATV as over PS3 like movie rentals, flickr, youtube and stuff but i think the PS3 has an upperhand.

jaw04005
Feb 15, 2008, 11:19 PM
The BluRay is excellent as well as the bluetooth remote.

I must admit I love my PS3's bluetooth remote. Although I can't break myself from aiming it at the TV when I use it.

PS3 + Medialink = ATV substitute.

Even with MediaLink there are multiple problems with PS3's handling of video and audio files.

No fault of Nullriver, the PS3 is just extremely picky with regards to video files especially MPEG-4.

Many of my iTunes video podcasts won't work on the PS3 (using MediaLink or directly) unless I apply the so-called QuickTime badge to their respective video files.

If Sony would bring the PlayStation media interface inline with something more modern the PS3 would be a killer media platform. Also, drop the stupid 2GB file size limit and fix the QT header data issue.

mensrea
Feb 15, 2008, 11:39 PM
"PS3's remote play function, you can stream that content straight to your PSP."

Oh snap! I can't believe I forgot to mention that. It really is analogous to the iPod, ATV, iTunes ecosphere in many ways. I love my PSP/PS3 and iPods/ATV, I wouldn't give any of them up. But in fairness, my PSP is pretty dusty right now; While my 160gb Classic is never out of my reach day or night.

mensrea
Feb 16, 2008, 12:26 AM
Har ahr har. Have you tried to use the Zune media organizer? I won't get into the details suffice to say that Microsoft is most certainly not in a good position.

Dude! You're not kidding! Zune software integrate with XBOX 360? HA!!! It doesn't even 'integrate' with the Zune, or Windows!! HAH HA HA HA! This is the biggest peice of crap ever foisted onto the marketplace. That's not hyperbole, that's for realz!

http://forums.zune.net/89626/ShowPost.aspx

http://forums.zune.net/3247/ShowPost.aspx [even though the mods locked this one nearly a month ago, it remains one of the bigest and most viewed thread on the board]

Yikes!

Tom Sawyer
Mar 15, 2008, 09:30 PM
To be honest I've owned both and if you take the gaming and blu-ray playback out of the mix (because only 1 machine can achieve those goals)... they both lose to my lowly Xbox (original) running XMBC. I have a 1.5 TB NAS with built in uPNP, SMB, AFP, iTunes music server, etc etc (It's a ReadyNAS NV, Infrant (now Netgear))... an amazing little box. I would actually LOVE to replace my aging ugly and noisy Xbox XBMC with an :apple:TV, but the one thing that hold me back is not being able to stream from my NAS via uPNP (which pretty much anything coming out these days supports... PS3, heck even my DirecTV sat receiver just got an update than can stream from my uPNP server). If it could do that (or just mount my AFP media share like I do on my Macs via a shortcut in my Movies folder)... it would be perfect: HDMI, enough power to do 720p... h.264, mp4, nice interface, etc etc. I really do not understand why Apple has chosen not to add support for that protocol (uPNP) into the OS. Sony has done it on the PS3 and they are a movie company amongst other things.

Anyway... just my 2 cents.... the PS3 does get the nod as it does support uPNP... and does stream quite nicely... HD content etc. DivX is fine and dandy but I am going for best quality. My XBMC mounts ISO's directly and it's just like you inserted the DVD into the machine; menus extras, etc. 100% quality.

mikeymoves
Mar 16, 2008, 03:17 PM
To be honest I've owned both and if you take the gaming and blu-ray playback out of the mix (because only 1 machine can achieve those goals)... they both lose to my lowly Xbox (original) running XMBC. I have a 1.5 TB NAS with built in uPNP, SMB, AFP, iTunes music server, etc etc (It's a ReadyNAS NV, Infrant (now Netgear))... an amazing little box. I would actually LOVE to replace my aging ugly and noisy Xbox XBMC with an :apple:TV, but the one thing that hold me back is not being able to stream from my NAS via uPNP (which pretty much anything coming out these days supports... PS3, heck even my DirecTV sat receiver just got an update than can stream from my uPNP server). If it could do that (or just mount my AFP media share like I do on my Macs via a shortcut in my Movies folder)... it would be perfect: HDMI, enough power to do 720p... h.264, mp4, nice interface, etc etc. I really do not understand why Apple has chosen not to add support for that protocol (uPNP) into the OS. Sony has done it on the PS3 and they are a movie company amongst other things.

Anyway... just my 2 cents.... the PS3 does get the nod as it does support uPNP... and does stream quite nicely... HD content etc. DivX is fine and dandy but I am going for best quality. My XBMC mounts ISO's directly and it's just like you inserted the DVD into the machine; menus extras, etc. 100% quality.

Honestly, since I discovered mkv2vob, my appleTV has been collecting dust. I only use it for the occasional rental or show purchase. All other media I run through the PS3 via MediaLink which for me has been rock solid.

scamit
Mar 17, 2008, 09:57 PM
Hey Mikey,

Have you noticed that any file created by mkv2vob over 4gb you cannot play the entire video. What happens is when you play the file, it will play the video and at a certain point, it will just stop playing. When you go to info, the duration of the movie is way off. When I use the split feature of mkv2vob, and split the files, the movie plays fine. Both files show the video duration exactly what it should be.

I heard the new Medialink 1.3 version fixes this problem, but i dont know. Any problems on your end?

Honestly, since I discovered mkv2vob, my appleTV has been collecting dust. I only use it for the occasional rental or show purchase. All other media I run through the PS3 via MediaLink which for me has been rock solid.

watanabe
Mar 17, 2008, 11:40 PM
2 things I like about the apple tv over the ps3 is price and noise. ymmv.

nordesmic
Mar 18, 2008, 03:15 AM
Hey Mikey,

Have you noticed that any file created by mkv2vob over 4gb you cannot play the entire video. What happens is when you play the file, it will play the video and at a certain point, it will just stop playing. When you go to info, the duration of the movie is way off. When I use the split feature of mkv2vob, and split the files, the movie plays fine. Both files show the video duration exactly what it should be.

I heard the new Medialink 1.3 version fixes this problem, but i dont know. Any problems on your end?

I have this problem also. I have installed the new version of Medialink and the problem is still there.

mikeymoves
Mar 18, 2008, 11:05 AM
I have this problem also. I have installed the new version of Medialink and the problem is still there.

I have the same problem with medialink. EyeConnect and Twonkymedia worked, but are less elegant solutions than MediaLink.

scamit
Mar 18, 2008, 08:35 PM
Twonkymedia has not worked for me. The server keeps on disconnecting on my PS3. It will show up for around 60 seconds, and then it will disconnect, and reappear. I have tried port forwarding, reset my router, upgrade my firmware on the router, still no go. Twonkymedia on a Windows PC, using the same equipment, works perfect.

Only if Medialink can stream files over 4gb, including vob, it would be a perfect solution.

I have the same problem with medialink. EyeConnect and Twonkymedia worked, but are less elegant solutions than MediaLink.

zap2
Mar 18, 2008, 08:56 PM
I'll go with the AppleTV, its better for me. I'm based on iTunes media, so the AppleTV makes sense...I love the fact I can buy a show downstairs, watch it as I eat, finish eatting and come up stairs to finish it.

csmith75
Mar 19, 2008, 09:23 AM
I own both and although I think the PS3 is a fantastic Blu-ray player, I prefer the GUI of Apple TV for all of my video/audio content that's stored on my hard drives. Plus I have a lot of content that was purchased from iTunes so it's just easier to use the Apple TV.

murdoc158
Apr 2, 2008, 05:54 PM
For those of you with PS3's I have a question. How reliable has your network connection been? I just hacked my Xbox (original) to use XBMC and tried to stream videos to it from my Mac. The only way I could get anything on my xbox was to choose the SMB option and then the connection would drop out after a couple of seconds. I tried EyeConnect, Twonky, and MediaShare and nothing worked. I'm really trying to decide between the :apple:tv and the PS3, but the networking horrors of the xbox have me leaning toward the :apple:tv at the moment. I really only want to stream DIVX files, and a couple HD podcasts from iTunes. The Blu-Ray and game support would be an added welcome bonus from the PS3.

DarkNetworks
Apr 2, 2008, 07:10 PM
DIVX, does it mean the container is AVI or ...? :apple:TV only supports whatever that iTunes does. Unless you've lots of content on iTunes or don't mind spending hours converting or ripping whatsoever, then :apple:TV would be a good choice for you.

Tom Sawyer
Apr 2, 2008, 07:43 PM
For those of you with PS3's I have a question. How reliable has your network connection been? I just hacked my Xbox (original) to use XBMC and tried to stream videos to it from my Mac. The only way I could get anything on my xbox was to choose the SMB option and then the connection would drop out after a couple of seconds. I tried EyeConnect, Twonky, and MediaShare and nothing worked. I'm really trying to decide between the :apple:tv and the PS3, but the networking horrors of the xbox have me leaning toward the :apple:tv at the moment. I really only want to stream DIVX files, and a couple HD podcasts from iTunes. The Blu-Ray and game support would be an added welcome bonus from the PS3.

Well, to the direct question, 100% reliable on the PS3 network connection. It has a gigabit which is nice if your connecting it to a GB router/switch.

Now, I've been using XBMC on 2 xboxs for almost 2 years, and have had beautiful performance with it. There are a few things I would ask about your setup...

First off, what is your network setup to each device? Wired, wireless..?

Secondly, what kind of router/switch do you have and what speed?

Finally, keep in mind that the venerable xbox is pretty old hardware (a 733 mhz celeron: intels budget proc). It is absolutely not capable of handling any HD content with consistent results, and I've had trouble with x.264 encoding if the bit rate is too high. For my usage, I've either ripped to an ISO file which is FLAWLESS performance wise on XBMC (since it's an image of a DVD with compression/bitrates the hardware can handle since it can play DVD's)... and MP4 compression using handbrake. I encode at whatever the bit rate falls at specifying a 2gb file max (2048mb). This is the max size give or take that the XBMC can handle without losing the ability to fast forward / rewind while watching. Bigger than 2gb and things get a little wiggy. Again, MP4 video compression, not x.264. Now x.264 will play, but the bit rate has to be lower than what your mac or an apple TV can handle. I spent a ton of time doing side by side comparisons of MP4 vs x.264 at the highest bitrate that would play on XBMC and found that MP4 was better in quality (given the bitrates that were available).

My Mac is wireless, gets a constant 270mbps connection to my router (802.11n) and my XBMC and server where my video is stored are both wired (server at GB, xbox 100bt of course).

Hope that helps... like I said, give some consideration to your network setup, if your trying to do streaming to the xbmc wireless (esp. on a less than high performance wireless connection) you will have problems.

Also on the protocol front, go with SMB; It's the most reliable by far. FTP into your XBMC and pull off sources.xml and edit to your liking. You can take adavantage of the <DEFAULT> </DEFAULT> tag and make xbmc hop right on your share when you go into Videos... :D

Please hold the blow torches but... I will add that I've not come across any set top media extender type device that even comes close to the interface and functionality of XBMC. I'm SO looking forward to when the mac port is complete and ready for prime time. A MINI will replace my fugly xbox on that day!!! :)

murdoc158
Apr 2, 2008, 09:00 PM
Well, to the direct question, 100% reliable on the PS3 network connection. It has a gigabit which is nice if your connecting it to a GB router/switch.

Now, I've been using XBMC on 2 xboxs for almost 2 years, and have had beautiful performance with it. There are a few things I would ask about your setup...

First off, what is your network setup to each device? Wired, wireless..?

Secondly, what kind of router/switch do you have and what speed?

Finally, keep in mind that the venerable xbox is pretty old hardware (a 733 mhz celeron: intels budget proc). It is absolutely not capable of handling any HD content with consistent results, and I've had trouble with x.264 encoding if the bit rate is too high. For my usage, I've either ripped to an ISO file which is FLAWLESS performance wise on XBMC (since it's an image of a DVD with compression/bitrates the hardware can handle since it can play DVD's)... and MP4 compression using handbrake. I encode at whatever the bit rate falls at specifying a 2gb file max (2048mb). This is the max size give or take that the XBMC can handle without losing the ability to fast forward / rewind while watching. Bigger than 2gb and things get a little wiggy. Again, MP4 video compression, not x.264. Now x.264 will play, but the bit rate has to be lower than what your mac or an apple TV can handle. I spent a ton of time doing side by side comparisons of MP4 vs x.264 at the highest bitrate that would play on XBMC and found that MP4 was better in quality (given the bitrates that were available).

My Mac is wireless, gets a constant 270mbps connection to my router (802.11n) and my XBMC and server where my video is stored are both wired (server at GB, xbox 100bt of course).

Hope that helps... like I said, give some consideration to your network setup, if your trying to do streaming to the xbmc wireless (esp. on a less than high performance wireless connection) you will have problems.

Also on the protocol front, go with SMB; It's the most reliable by far. FTP into your XBMC and pull off sources.xml and edit to your liking. You can take adavantage of the <DEFAULT> </DEFAULT> tag and make xbmc hop right on your share when you go into Videos... :D

Please hold the blow torches but... I will add that I've not come across any set top media extender type device that even comes close to the interface and functionality of XBMC. I'm SO looking forward to when the mac port is complete and ready for prime time. A MINI will replace my fugly xbox on that day!!! :)

PM sent with my information.

adge-uk
Apr 13, 2008, 10:34 AM

I'm having the same problem, I converted some mkv's to mp4 using the latest mkv2vob and then copied them to the PS3 via medialink.

I checked the first few minutes of each one and each was fine, so I deleted the original files from my mac. The next day I realised each file, even under 4 Gb did not play past the incorrectly reported size. I assumed this was a problem with the mkv2vob trancode I did under parallels, but reading this thread I think it might be a medialink problem. And actually one of the files I converted using visualhub but that still reports the wrong size, is medialink corrupting files as it copies them over?

Is anyone else having problems after copying the files or is it just when they are streaming?

Philberttheduck
Apr 14, 2008, 03:51 AM
Is it possible to transfer movies from an external hdd (250) powered bus to the ps3? everytime i connect my hdd, it doesn't get recognized by the ps3

hotdamn
Apr 14, 2008, 04:47 AM
Is it possible to transfer movies from an external hdd (250) powered bus to the ps3? everytime i connect my hdd, it doesn't get recognized by the ps3

you must be doing it wrong. make sure that harddrive is FAT32, then when it appears press triangle and select "show all".

ps3 is far superior to the apple tv, eventhough, yea, the interface is not as slick... but does the apple tv play metal gear solid 4 and/or blurays? didn't think so ;)

hotdamn
Apr 14, 2008, 04:51 AM
2 things I like about the apple tv over the ps3 is price and noise. ymmv.

I think your ps3 has a problem. I can't hear mine, at all.

Or maybe you're a bat... then it's quite impressive you're posting on a mac message board.

adge-uk
Apr 14, 2008, 11:08 AM
I'm having the same problem, I converted some mkv's to mp4 using the latest mkv2vob and then copied them to the PS3 via medialink.

I checked the first few minutes of each one and each was fine, so I deleted the original files from my mac. The next day I realised each file, even under 4 Gb did not play past the incorrectly reported size. I assumed this was a problem with the mkv2vob trancode I did under parallels, but reading this thread I think it might be a medialink problem. And actually one of the files I converted using visualhub but that still reports the wrong size, is medialink corrupting files as it copies them over?

Is anyone else having problems after copying the files or is it just when they are streaming?

I'm quoting myself here, just in-case anyone has this problem, but I have fixed it after speaking to nullsoft. It seems to be a known bug, but it's fixed in medialink 1.33...

DeSquared
Jun 5, 2008, 02:15 PM
I have seen AppleTV's OS on torrent threads and I have heard it can be installed onto Macs...

Anybody try to port the ATV's os onto a partitioned PS3??

That would be SWEET--kinda like having a Ferrari with a generator in the passenger seat.

Someone who knows more than me explain why we can't...

qwerty2k
Jun 7, 2008, 12:42 PM
sorry to up the thread but i have a question.

I currently have a ps3 and am delighted with the quality of its dvd upscaling, however im considering getting an :apple:tv then ripping all my dvds (100+) and streaming them via :apple:tv.

My question is (which hasn't been answered in this thread), what is the picture quality like ps3 upscaled dvd vs :apple:tv upscaled h.264 converted dvd.

minik
Jul 15, 2008, 07:27 PM
Will today E3 announcement (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121615991134456129.html?mod=googlenews_wsj) mean anything to the Apple TV?

Announcing the service at E3, the game industry's big annual conference in Los Angeles, Sony said its TV-show rentals will cost $1.99 per episode and that movie rentals will cost $2.99 to $5.99. Movie purchases will start at $9.99. Some of the programming will be viewable in high definition.

Honestly, I have both Apple TV and PS3. It's too earlier to tell for me as I haven't download/rent any movie from the PSN.

bacaramac
Jul 16, 2008, 09:34 AM
If Apple starts allowing HD purchase and HD rental on Mac they will still rule the market. I checked this out last night and the interface sucks, but for 5.99 these rentals better be 1080p HD rentals.

I think everyone is trying to jump on board now that Apple has set the stage. Just like with iPhone, everyone is trying to create a similiar experience. I hope Apple doesn't give up and continues to enhance ATV for couch surfer, etc. No that we have the new iPhone remote, we know it is possible to have a wi-fi keyboard or even use the iPhone as the keyboard/mouse.

Alx9876
Jul 17, 2008, 01:23 AM
Just so you know, the PS3 can fit any 2.5 inch internal notebook hard drive inside the machine.

Also the PS3 just released their tv show, movie purchase/rental service tonight.

Now it can truly compete with the Apple Tv. Pound for pound almost. The tv show files for Family Guy are 351 MB.

The PS3 can now do what the Apple tv can do.:)

I don't really care though. I own both devices.

minik
Jul 17, 2008, 08:50 AM
The updated TOS:

Only one copy of a Rental Content may be viewable on an Authorized Device for up to 24 hours after the first playback or 14 days after payment for the Rental Content, whichever is sooner. After such time, you will not be able to view the Rental Content.

full TOS (http://www.us.playstation.com/support/termsofuse) - 9. VIDEO CONTENT.

megfilmworks
Jul 17, 2008, 03:46 PM
Downloading Hellboy HD rental. Not sure if it is 1080p or not yet.
May not be able to tell as my PS3 outputs in 1080p and would probably scale the content anyway. Anyone know if Sony mentions the resolution of it's HD rentals?

Phil A.
Jul 17, 2008, 03:56 PM
I have seen AppleTV's OS on torrent threads and I have heard it can be installed onto Macs...

Anybody try to port the ATV's os onto a partitioned PS3??

That would be SWEET--kinda like having a Ferrari with a generator in the passenger seat.

Someone who knows more than me explain why we can't...

Even ignoring the questionable legality of what you're proposing, the processor and other architecture of the PS3 is completely different to Apple TV, so it would never work (it's like trying to install a copy of OSX before the Intel Switch onto a Windows PC)

megfilmworks
Jul 18, 2008, 03:23 PM
My HD rental on PS3 took a long time to download. Looked like less than 1080p and had a stereo PCM soundtrack with no DD. Otherwise a fun time.
I'll stick with Apple for the time being.

Diatribe
Jul 18, 2008, 03:33 PM
They did a review on Apple Tv Junkie (http://www.appletvjunkie.com/) the other day and came to the same conclusions...

megfilmworks
Jul 18, 2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks, I missed the review.

Jaclyn12
Jul 19, 2008, 12:22 AM
This is easily the more broadly capable device, and it is just as slick and solid as anything Jobs and company are making. As such, it's not a completely inane comparison. For the well educated technophile, it is a very interesting choice/question.

-------------------------
Travel to Las Vegas Magazine (http://www.traveltolasvegasmagazine.com/)
Travel To Switzerland Magazine (http://www.traveltoswitzerlandmagazine.com/)

megfilmworks
Jul 19, 2008, 06:44 PM
Here are the problems as I see it having compared the two systems:

PS3:

Weak interface
Quality slightly less sharp.
Download time 4 times longer (at least)
No Dolby Digital (inexcusable for HD content)
More expensive
Only 14 days to view (24 hours once you start)

I hope it gets better, but for now ATV wins on all counts.

OZMP
Jul 22, 2008, 08:12 AM
Gotta go with PS3 on this one.

Plays Blu-rays in full 1080p with uncompressed TrueHD audio. I'll take Blu-ray any day over H.264 compressed resolution. I can transport media to my PS3 and play divx movies I've downloaded vs. paying iTunes to "rent" a movie for 24 hours. Talk about eating money. If I want to "pay" for a movie, I want to "own" it. AppleTV is just a dedicated vending machine to make money for Apple. They might as well put a slot on the front of it to insert coins or bills.

Oh, and, I could install the Mac OS on my PS3 if I want. But then, why would I even need to buy a Mac? :D:apple:

if i have ripped full HD vid on my comp, can i play it thru an ATV to my bravia and control it via my iphone?

which has better quality?
can an ATV be made to play divx's?
got a free PS3 with the bravia, so might sell and get an ATV as i dont play console games
can i put anyform of mac OS on a PS3?

if i could i would just get a mini and run the pro as a server, but that isnt an option.

SaleenS351
Jul 22, 2008, 09:52 AM
I've been thinking about getting an ATV for a long while now. I just never took the plunge. This past x-mas the mrs. got me a PS3 and I am now exploring its full potential as a media center and possible alternative to the ATV. I tried the 30 min. demo of medialink the other day and realized that all those shows I bought on the itunes store are not playable on my ps3 through medialink because of DRM. That was a big bummer. Like others have said download times for the ps3 for anything are pretty long. I currently do not have cable and have been watching tv shows on my computer via the broadcasting company websites. My question is how do you "save money" by having an ATV or ps3 linked via medialink vs paying for cable. Thanks.

BobF4321
Jul 22, 2008, 10:31 AM
I have both devices.... here are more PS3 problems:
- Fan noise: very annoying during quiet parts in a movie (ATV has no fan)
- Heat: during hot days the air conditioner runs more frequently
- Power: PS3 draws a lot of power (175W during movie playback vs. 17W for ATV)
Apple TV has none of those problems.

minik
Jul 22, 2008, 12:47 PM
I have both devices.... here are more PS3 problems:
- Fan noise: very annoying during quiet parts in a movie (ATV has no fan)
- Heat: during hot days the air conditioner runs more frequently
- Power: PS3 draws a lot of power (175W during movie playback vs. 17W for ATV)
Apple TV has none of those problems.

Apple TV does have a fan inside, but I know what you mean there.

Puddinman
Jul 22, 2008, 03:30 PM
I think it breaks down to this:

If you use iTunes, ATV is a no-brainer. There is no easier way to shuttle stuff to your Home Theater setup. Quality is top-notch and the UI is elegant. Plus, no other device plays protected iTunes content.

If you don't use iTunes, its a toss-up. Are you willing to switch to iTunes? If not, there is no competition; PS3 is the way to go. Are you a techie who wants access to file formats Apple doesn't support? PS3 again.

I have both. Apple TV for music and rental/purchased movies/tv and PS3 for games and Blu-Ray. I haven't tried PS3s new movie and tv service so I can't comment there, but if its anything like Playstation Store, ATV wins in that department.

megfilmworks
Jul 22, 2008, 05:03 PM
I haven't tried PS3s new movie and tv service so I can't comment there, but if its anything like Playstation Store, ATV wins in that department. It is the Playstation store, slightly revamped, but still lacking the more user friendly ATV interface. Interesting though. ATV, IMHO, wins on all levels as a movie rental unit, but not by much.

SaleenS351
Jul 23, 2008, 12:11 AM
It is the Playstation store, slightly revamped, but still lacking the more user friendly ATV interface. Interesting though. ATV, IMHO, wins on all levels as a movie rental unit, but not by much.

Does it take as long to download as some game demos do?

OZMP
Jul 23, 2008, 12:36 AM
is there a way to make an ATV play divx from the finder?

RemarkabLee
Aug 4, 2008, 07:02 AM
I've owned an ATV and soon got rid of it.

My reasons:

1, Runs excessively hot, even when on standby (not that it really goes into standby as such). It may be quiet, but the external chassis seems to be one big heat sink running 24/7.

2, Does not support h.264 high profile. Why is this important? Well to get the best out of h.264, a higher profile can be selected by the author/encoder to get the best quality picture at a determined bit rate. This needs a more powerful CPU to decode and the ATV simply isn't powerful enough to decode the video and to handle higher bitrates often seen in the wild.
By contrast, the XBOX360/PS3 CAN decode high profile h.264 video. The only way I've found around that is to use a third party program to transcode the original high profile video to a compatible main profile video with a restricted bit rate, so it can be played on an ATV.
Example, a 2 hour video in HP h.264 would be about 1.5Gb. To convert that to a MP h.264 video, it would take at least 2 hours to convert, loose a generation of quality and would probably expand the filesize to 2Gb+.
Also note QuickTime can not natively play back h.264 above main profile. Perian can playback high profile+, but cannot transcode. Which is why a third party app like VisualHub is required.

I want to download and watch, not download, convert, lose quality and time before I can watch.

Scarpad
Aug 4, 2008, 07:23 AM
I've owned an ATV and soon got rid of it.

My reasons:

1, Runs excessively hot, even when on standby (not that it really goes into standby as such). It may be quiet, but the external chassis seems to be one big heat sink running 24/7.

2, Does not support h.264 high profile. Why is this important? Well to get the best out of h.264, a higher profile can be selected by the author/encoder to get the best quality picture. This needs a more powerful CPU to decode and the ATV simply isn't powerful enough. By contrast, the XBOX360/PS3 CAN decode high profile h.264 video. The only way I've found around that is to use a third party program to transcode the original high profile video to a compatible main profile video with a restricted bit rate, so it can be played on an ATV.
Example, a 2 hour video in HP h.264 would be about 1.5Gb. To convert that to a MP h.264 video, it would take at least 2 hours to convert, loose a generation of quality and would probably expand the filesize to 2Gb+.
Also note QuickTime can not natively play back h.264 above main profile. Perian can playback high profile+, but cannot transcode. Which is why a third party app like VisualHub is required.

I want to download and watch, not download, convert lose quality and time before I can watch.

Which encoders have the capability of encoding in HP H264?

RemarkabLee
Aug 4, 2008, 07:38 AM
Which encoders have the capability of encoding in HP H264?

Something that does *not* rely on QuickTime, so VisualHub or MPEG Streamclip are a couple of examples. Anything based on FFmpeg will allow HP+ profile encoding.

Hopefully QuickTimeX will be a fuller implementation of h.264 and all its profiles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Profiles

Scarpad
Aug 4, 2008, 07:48 AM
Something that does *not* rely on QuickTime, so VisualHub or MPEG Streamclip are a couple of examples. Anything based on FFmpeg will allow HP+ profile encoding.

Hopefully QuickTimeX will be a fuller implementation of h.264 and all its profiles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Profiles

Anything in the PC world? I've used WinFF based off of FFMpeg

OZMP
Aug 5, 2008, 04:13 AM
PS3 is great, need medialink tho

emegmac
Aug 5, 2008, 01:06 PM
Does anyone have any screen shots of the ps3 interface. I love appletv interface but would rather spend a little more to get a bluray player. The 360 is horrible as an interface, its unuseable.

Scarpad
Aug 5, 2008, 02:33 PM
Does anyone have any screen shots of the ps3 interface. I love appletv interface but would rather spend a little more to get a bluray player. The 360 is horrible as an interface, its unuseable.

The PS3 is a slight upgrade from the 360 but it's not much better, it's functional and organizes things by folders, so if you stream from tversity or other software you'll see the folders and can pick the video files, but there is no artwork like in ATV. It's usable but wont win any awards, if you've seen a PSP interface it's similar.

RemarkabLee
Aug 8, 2008, 06:59 AM
Anything in the PC world? I've used WinFF based off of FFMpeg

Check out doom9.net for all your encoding guides, great site.

I've used GordianKnot in the past, works well, it's free but initially it's a bit overwhelming.

macdudechafic
Nov 29, 2009, 11:15 AM
although i am an apple freak, i think ps3 is waaaaayyyyy better than an apple tv.

lets start with how they are both similar

the ps3 has the ability to connect to ur external usb hard disks or laptops, so that you can have the ability to play music, see photos, and watch movies from the hard disk/laptop.
similar to what the apple tv does

the ps3 also CONNECTS to the internet, so you can have the ability to surf sites, youtube, download stuff.. real fun

i heard that the apple tv can too but im not sure

finally the ps3 is a PLAYSTATION!
its OTHER FEATURES are what compare to the apple tv ;)

gdeusthewhizkid
Nov 29, 2009, 10:24 PM
although i am an apple freak, i think ps3 is waaaaayyyyy better than an apple tv.

lets start with how they are both similar

the ps3 has the ability to connect to ur external usb hard disks or laptops, so that you can have the ability to play music, see photos, and watch movies from the hard disk/laptop.
similar to what the apple tv does

the ps3 also CONNECTS to the internet, so you can have the ability to surf sites, youtube, download stuff.. real fun

i heard that the apple tv can too but im not sure

finally the ps3 is a PLAYSTATION!
its OTHER FEATURES are what compare to the apple tv ;)

i cant speak for the apple tv but i have a ps3 and a mac mini. I love them both and honestly they almost both do the same thing as far as playing avis and downloading movies off both stores. I love them both. I would consider putting an apple tv in the living room but seriouslly I can't justify the price. that ps3 is sweet for real....

TRAG
Nov 29, 2009, 11:41 PM
i cant speak for the apple tv but i have a ps3 and a mac mini. I love them both and honestly they almost both do the same thing as far as playing avis and downloading movies off both stores. I love them both. I would consider putting an apple tv in the living room but seriouslly I can't justify the price. that ps3 is sweet for real....

I too have a PS3 and a mini connected to my TV. In my opinion, it is the best setup you could have. A PlayStation 3 for games and Blu-ray and a mini for EVERYTHING else and a desktop computer. I would not recommend an Apple TV. It's way too limited to really take any advantage of.

motoxpress
Nov 30, 2009, 01:15 PM
The question is, could you use JUST the mini or JUST the PS3 as a media center device? I ask because I am on the threshold of deciding between them and am leaning towards the mini. The only downside being Bluray playback. I am planning to use Frontrow or Plex.

I don't really dig the PS3 ui as it seems a bit tedious to me.

-mx

gdeusthewhizkid
Dec 1, 2009, 09:34 AM
The question is, could you use JUST the mini or JUST the PS3 as a media center device? I ask because I am on the threshold of deciding between them and am leaning towards the mini. The only downside being Bluray playback. I am planning to use Frontrow or Plex.

-mx

The interface of the ps3 is very simple. It looks tedious but once you get the hang of it it's nothing. I think either is a great option. Both devices can be controlled wirelessly . you can use either only as media center devices. With the mini you have a bit more flexibility because of itunes content and downloading torrents.

GermanSuplex
Dec 1, 2009, 09:45 AM

-mx

I haven't used my PS3 once for media other than Blu-Ray since getting my Apple TV.

Maybe if someone downloads stuff around the net a lot, then maybe the PS3 is better. But for me, I've done that and it grew tiresome to me. I am happy buying my media from iTunes and getting high-quality, logo-free videos to own. It makes the viewing experience a lot better. Renting movies is a snap.... The PS3 does what it does okay, but Apple TV is just so much better and streaming my iTunes library and anything I want to bother with is in my iTunes library, so it just works out better for me.

But to answer your question, it's really going to come down to how people want their media.

gdeusthewhizkid
Dec 1, 2009, 10:18 AM

But to answer your question, it's really going to come down to how people want their media.

I agree with your last statement the apple tv works better if you download and purchase content from itunes store. I must admit in owning a mini and purchasing media from the itunes store. IT's way easier and better interface then the playstation store. If you can afford it I think the mini and ps3 is a way better option then the apple tv. If you want simplicity and save money then the apple tv is a great value. The apple tv is a cheaper solution. I think it really comes down to budget and preference. but seriously if you have a cable service with dvr the apple tv is really not necessary....

motoxpress
Dec 1, 2009, 11:44 AM
Well, I have a mac mini already that I can use and we do buy music and some movies off of iTunes so, it probably makes sense to go that way. The major downside is mainly the Bluray issue. I may just get a dedicated player for that or get in the habit of buying Blurays and ripping them.

I'm a bit of a sucker for new approaches and the PS3 intrigued me for that reason. I am also interested in the Netflix integration.

-mx

gdeusthewhizkid
Dec 1, 2009, 04:35 PM
i dont know why there's such a big infatuation with digitizing dvds and bluerays. i dont mind popping one in and playing it and taking it back. I have a ton of dvds and i can't imagine converting all of them. i just purchase a movies i really wanna watch over and over..........

motoxpress
Dec 1, 2009, 04:58 PM
i dont know why there's such a big infatuation with digitizing dvds and bluerays. i dont mind popping one in and playing it and taking it back. I have a ton of dvds and i can't imagine converting all of them. i just purchase a movies i really wanna watch over and over..........

A few of reasons for me:

1) I have children and they tend to scratch DVDs by just looking at them. This makes it much easier to buy a DVD once.

2) Ease of access.

3) Clutter. I can put the DVDs away in storage.

4) Travel. Easy to bring a collection for family vacations involving car travel.

5) Can't play Bluray on a Mac.

So, yes I could live without all of these but these are issues I want to address and the integration of all of it is worth the trouble for me.

-mx

GermanSuplex
Dec 1, 2009, 06:16 PM

Many probably said the same thing when DVD came out and they had no problem with fast-forwarding or rewinding a VHS tape. :)