Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Metatron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2002
Hi guys, I need some help from pro audio users. I am the multimedia director at my church and are wanting to do live track recording. As of now we have used a mixer and digitally output to a computer where it was recorded and later burned to cd. That has worked great but if the mix is off it is unfixable. I looked into digi 002 mixer. I would go for this but it is not enough channels. I need at least 16 with around 7 xlr connectors. It was awesome by allowing live track recording. We do not use midi and need analog inputs. Can you daisychain a digi002 mixer and a digi002 rack for the 16 channels I need by firewire. I looked at the yamaha 01x with was good, but still lacking with analog inputs. I need at least a 16 channel connection with a control suface for live mixing. We are buying a new G5 for the recording. Please help if you know of any answers.
Also it must reasonable in cost. Thanks for any input.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
What exactly do you mean by reasonable cost?

I'd suggest you look at the Digidesign Control 24 unit, its a ProTools controller with 24 physical faders and 24 Focusrite mic pre-amps, it goes about £4500 over here, and is also an invaluably mixing tool.

Other than that you should look at the Tascam DA24 mixer which has 16 pre's and all the other bits you'd expect in a very compact frame. Works well with ProTools, but you'll need the 002 interface with it. the 001 doesn't work with the G5 cos Apple changed the voltage to the PCI slots.

Steak

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Hi metatron. The Digi 002 actually has the capability to input 18 tracks at once. It has 8 analog built-in inputs, but also has ADAT optical (channels) and S/pdif. All you would need is a PreAmp/Converter with optiical out. A company called PreSonus makes one for I believe about $800 or even less. 8 mic inputs, with pre's, and 8 analog AND optical out. There you are, 16 channels into your Digi 002. (which is a great little piece of gear) If you needed even more channels, the s/pdif inputs can take 2 more channels from another converter.

-chris

Metatron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2002
Question about the ProSonus LT

I looked into the Prosonus LT, it looks promising in that it will allow 8 more channels to be plugged in through the ADAT. But I am not to familar with adat. Will I be able to mix those incoming channels with the Digi 002. I know the Digi 002 has 3 banks allowing the capability to mix channels other than the 8 show in on the mixer in protools. The incominng ADAT must allow 8 seperate tracks to be recorded by the Digi 002, not just one so that I can go back in later and remix the live recording I made. Is that how it works? If so that is my solution.

stergz

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2002
Melbourne
I agree with Steak. The Digi002 is a good unit, as you can buy an extra 8 channel rack strip and plug it in using the ADAT lightpipe connector and you get great software included. A presonus firestation or a MOTU 828 MKII will give you 8 inputs each but you wil need to buy Logic or Cubase and a control surface such as a Mackie HUI. Here in Australia the MOTU route will cost about $7500 where the Digi002 with a Presonus DigiMAX 96K 8 Channel Mic pre you can get for about $6500 to $7000. Much cheaper elsewhere in the world.

You can't daisychain 002's together. You use the route suggested above. IMPORTANT Be aware, ProTools LE 6.1 doesn't support the Apple G5 yet. Check here http://www.digidesign.com/news/details.cfm?story_id=243 for further details. Other hardware units have limited support as well.

One other point is, the FireStation and the MOTU units only have 2 Balanced Mic inputs. You would need to buy 2 MOTU 896 to get 16 Balanced Mic channels. The

You could ditch all of these ideas and go for a Mackie HDR 24/96 with 2 8 channel input cards. Nice, very professional, Works well and not that much more expensive and sometimes cheaper if you factor in the cost of the Apple G5.

Cheers

Metatron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2002
Okay, but what about....

I agree that the Digi 002 is the best choice when you add a 8 channel rack using the ADAT connection. But can I control each channel seperatly with the digi 002 from the incoming ADAT signal. Is it like spdif in which there are mulitile distingisable signals that come across a single cord or is it just one signal that can only be mixed as a whole along with the 8 given channels from the digi 002. It is very important that I can control each channel from the incoming ADAT signal seperatly as if the extra channel was on the digi 002 itself. Is that how it functions?

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
You will be able to control each channel seperately. The Digi 002 has 8 faders on it. If you're only using the built in pre-amps plus the 8 extra from the PreSonus you will have a total of 12 balanced XLR inputs. So the 002 will control all 12 inputs but only 8 at a time. You can "scroll" back and forth between banks of 8 channels and adjust as neccesary.

Sorry if this is confusing, basically the answer is yes you can control each channel seperately.

stergz

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2002
Melbourne
I concur with pepeleuepe. Each channel either from the onboard pre's or the outboard pre's can be assigned to a separate fader and controled independantly. Each Channel in ADAT Lightpipe is Full Duplex. It can send and recieve information.

Metatron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2002
Great Scott

Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. So I can control the Presonus's channels in the Second bank of the Digi 002. Excellent. Well, Unless anyone thinks I will be happier with a different machine than the digi 002 or the presonus LT I will just go with that. Thanks again for you help guys.

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
I have the Digi 002 Rack, basically a 002 without the cool faders and stuff. It works great and has soooo much room for expansion I don't think I'll ever use all the channels. The 002 should work great for you, but be careful, Digidesign still doesn't officially support G5's, but withing a month they should.

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
For your consideration... seems interesting and I'll test it out when available locally but the 896HD MOTU (debuted at AES.) Some impressive features for the $1300 price.

Metatron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2002
what about Motu 896?

What about 2 motu 896? That will give me 16 channels I need for just over 2200 dollars. Then I will need a control surface like the Mackie Universal Controller. That should work for the live recording. Does the motu 896 pass the signal straight through the unit and the mix is sent through the firewire and main outputs only? That would save me from having to have to make 16 xlr splitters. The recording mix and the mix the audience actually hear are different and handled by a completely diffrent mixer.

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Here's what you need

Why buy a G5 for the recording when he Mackie D8B v5 is avaliable, I've got no idea how much it costs but it's close to the best on the market. Unfortunatly you cannot use it for much else.

Attachments

• v51top2_000.gif
    v51top2_000.gif
    51.3 KB · Views: 144
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.