PDA

View Full Version : Interesting problem re: files off a PowerBook 5300cs

sjshaw
Jan 14, 2008, 06:34 PM
I have a busted PowerBook 5300cs (man, I loved that laptop)... the display is all kinds of hosed. Otherwise, it works fine. I'd like to sell it to somebody if they're interested, but that's another issue.

The issue at hand is this: I have tons of files on that PB that I would like to retrieve, but I have a twofold problem.

1) Most of the files are in a very old or antiquated format: WriteNow 3.0, PageMaker 5.0, WordPerfect something or another, etc. I have the install disks for these programs and my old System disks, but I would have to install them on an older Mac with a floppy drive running OS8 or OS9, because the old programs wouldn't run or install under Leopard.

2) How do I get them off the PB? Doing it via floppy is impractical due to the size of the files I'm trying to retrieve and the busted screen. The 5300cs has an AppleTalk port and that screwy 25-pin SCSI port, so those seem to be right out as far as transferring the large files. I can take out the hard drive and pop it into a 2.5" USB enclosure, but the 5300cs doesn't have USB. If I try and connect the external drive to my current iMac, I run into problem #1.

So, what do you guys think is my best option? If I take out the HD, put it in the enclosure, and hook it up to my iMac running Leopard, I could probably transfer the files and burn them to a CD, but not be able to open them. If I could open the files on a working older Mac and connect it to a USB printer or external drive, I would print them out and also translate them to a current file format as best I can.

It seems like the best bet would be to buy an older Mac with a floppy on which I could run OS8 or OS9, no? Do any of them have the ability to mount an USB external drive? Which model would work best?

Any other approaches I'm missing?

GimmeSlack12
Jan 14, 2008, 06:41 PM
2) How do I get them off the PB? Doing it via floppy is impractical due to the size of the files I'm trying to retrieve and the busted screen. The 5300cs has an AppleTalk port and that screwy 25-pin SCSI port, so those seem to be right out as far as transferring the large files. I can take out the hard drive and pop it into a 2.5" USB enclosure, but the 5300cs doesn't have USB. If I try and connect the external drive to my current iMac, I run into problem #1.

Any other approaches I'm missing?

Copy the files to your iMac and then use SheepShaver, the Mac OS 8 - 9 emulator. It'll run your files no problem. And since your familiar with the Classic OS I think you shouldn't have any problems. PM or IM me and I can get you started if you don't know what to do.

sjshaw
Jan 15, 2008, 11:18 AM
Copy the files to your iMac and then use SheepShaver, the Mac OS 8 - 9 emulator. It'll run your files no problem. And since your familiar with the Classic OS I think you shouldn't have any problems. PM or IM me and I can get you started if you don't know what to do.

Thanks a ton! I'll give it a try later this week and PM you if I have unsolvable questions?