Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

193927-query.png

There was a flurry of discussion about the MacBookAir.com redirecting to:

http://www.apple.com/?Will+We+see+a+MacBookAir+on+Tuesday

This redirection is not an endorsement by Apple itself. Anyone can redirect any domain to any other domain and add a "query string" (?text). You can change it to whatever you want, and this query is passed to the web server. In this case, Apple.com ignores the query.

Example: http://www.apple.com/?I+love+you

And besides, MacBookAir.com isn't registered by Apple.com... it was registered by us. If Apple decides to use the MacBook Air name, they are welcome to the domain.

Article Link

timmypv15

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
MacRumors keeps posting "whispers" and "rumors" that the macbook air is true.

and they say that they registered the macbookair.com domain

maybe apple contacted them for it and thats why they know these whispers

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
And besides, MacBookAir.com isn't registered by Apple.com... it was registered by us. If Apple decides to use the MacBook Air name, they are welcome to the domain.

What about Gizmodo? Where did responsible journalism go? I rely on MR and MR alone for reliable information (and rumors!), not pranks.

EDIT: I'm not mad or anything, just.. I guess it could've been played better. MR is still my #1 site :D

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
MacRumors keeps posting "whispers" and "rumors" that the macbook air is true.

and they say that they registered the macbookair.com domain

maybe apple contacted them for it and thats why they know these whispers

Or maybe they just get information from reliable sources, which is generally how the rumor industry gets its info in my experience.

ThunderLounge

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Wow. But isn't that like taking credit for it being you, when you step out of a crowded elevator? :D

Pretty slick, Arn and Co. Pretty slick.

DPazdanISU

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
Near Chicago
I don't know Arn, I think that is kind of sketchy that you guys would buy up a domain after someone willingly informed you of a possible product release. I mean, it's smart, but the fact that Macrumors had the information before the general public makes this move questionable.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I'm assuming that ars (or someone else at MR) pre-emptively registered it because they saw it was unregistered, and wanted to 'protect' it. MR has *NEVER* said it was an 'unbiased news' site. Heck, the name alone says it. MacRumors.

The fact that they're doing it out of 'love' for Apple rather than a plain squatter isn't a problem to me.

(Heck, a few years ago, one of Microsoft's primary domain names {not microsoft.com, but I can't remember which one it was} accidentally expired, and a Linux programmer picked it up. He turned it back over to Microsoft for no charge.)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It wasn't really intended to be a "prank". I just underestimated people's understanding of the query string. Hence the quick correction/redirect removal.

I registered it on reflex. I register domain names (see: pcrumors.com, applerumors.com etc...). When I see a good free domain name, I register it.

MacBookAir is a special case domain, since if its true, it's going to be a trademarked name. I have no interest in using it, and even if I did, Apple could go through a formal arbitration processes to get it. I'd rather just transfer it to Apple if its true.

arn

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
MacBookAir is a special case domain, since if its true, it's going to be a trademarked name. I have no interest in using it, and even if I did, Apple could go through a formal arbitration processes to get it. I'd rather just transfer it to Apple if its true.

Registering it is also a good way to see what Apple's reaction to that action might be. ;)

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
(Heck, a few years ago, one of Microsoft's primary domain names {not microsoft.com, but I can't remember which one it was} accidentally expired, and a Linux programmer picked it up. He turned it back over to Microsoft for no charge.)

Heh, it actually happened to Microsoft twice. Once they forgot to renew hotmail.co.uk (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11/06/microsoft_forgets_to_renew_hotmail/) and earlier they had forgotten to pay the bill for passport.com (thus taking hotmail down) before a helpful soul paid it for them (http://www.doublewide.net/)

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
It wasn't really intended to be a "prank". I just underestimated people's understanding of the query string. Hence the quick correction/redirect removal.

I registered it on reflex. I register domain names (see: pcrumors.com, applerumors.com etc...). When I see a good free domain name, I register it.

arn

The only problem is that you posted a top-level story about the registration of macbookair.net/org/biz/etc, and ended it with "So the MacBookAir domain registrations may have been triggered by the MacBookAir.com domain registration - which was not registered by Apple.", but didn't mention in that story that you are the one that registered macbookair.com. At that story, you should have
posted this disclaimer you just wrote.

aimfire

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Sunnyvale, CA
Guys, let's all take a deep breath for a sec... ;)

If Apple had decided to call this the MacBookAir, don't you think they would've registered the domain MONTHS ago...??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.