PDA

View Full Version : Airport Problem

nuzreq
Oct 12, 2003, 09:17 AM
ok guys and gals here is my problem. I just got my 12' powerbook a couple of days ago along with that came an airport extreme basestation with no modem. For the first couple days i had no problems setting everything up and getting on to the internet but suddenly the other night my wireless stopped working.

here is my setup:
Comcast cable modem sends its connection to a linksys router and two computers and the basestation connect to the router.

everything can get online if its connected by an ethernet cable, including the laptop. The laptop can even connect to the basestation via a ethernet cable. But for some reason it doesnt recognize any wireless networks. I've tried resetting the basestation, reconnecting wires, having the cable modem go to the basestation first and then have the router connect to it, but still nothing.

If anyone could give me a little help that would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

nuzreq
Oct 12, 2003, 10:56 PM
argh 34 views and no one has any ideas? Well i called apple and they had me run through a couple of things...the next thing they want me to try is take the machine to a different place with a known working network and see if it works there. So we will know if its the card inside the powerbook of its the basestation that is broken...sigh and i have only had this things for four days :(

zimv20
Oct 12, 2003, 11:15 PM
did you install the airport card or did it come like that? perhaps the card has come unseated.

hulugu
Oct 12, 2003, 11:20 PM
That's an interesting problem:

a few questions: does the network appear at all or does is the computer just unable to talk to anything.
do you have another computer that has a wireless network card and see if can connect that way (the wireless card in the Linksys may have gone bad, or is set up to do NAT which means it won't allow new computers to connect)?
Apple has a good idea, that will tell you if the Airport Extreme card has gone dead. Also, you could try putting a PCI wireless card in the PB and see if it can connect that way.

Horrortaxi
Oct 12, 2003, 11:22 PM
There are issues with AE base stations cutting out, though I've heard the worst offenders seem to be the ones with a modem (mine included). For some reason decreasing the transmitter strength helps. I had to take mine down to 25% before it stopped cutting out, but since it's been at 25% (about 4 months) it hasn't cut out once.

gopher
Oct 12, 2003, 11:36 PM
I had troubles with my Airport Extreme base station cutting out until I upgraded the firmware to version 5.1.3. Has happened a lot less frequently after applying the firmware. Of course this is only after one day. But it seems like it has made a difference.

hulugu
Oct 13, 2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Horrortaxi
There are issues with AE base stations cutting out, though I've heard the worst offenders seem to be the ones with a modem (mine included). For some reason decreasing the transmitter strength helps. I had to take mine down to 25% before it stopped cutting out, but since it's been at 25% (about 4 months) it hasn't cut out once.

How do you decrease the transmitter strength? This must be something in the AXBS; I have the original ABS.

Horrortaxi
Oct 13, 2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by hulugu
How do you decrease the transmitter strength? This must be something in the AXBS; I have the original ABS.
You do it through the AirPort Admin Utility. It may well be an Extreme only feature. I hear the original AirPorts would cut out a lot because of an overheating problem.

nuzreq
Oct 13, 2003, 10:27 AM
well i just arrived at my school, and still no wireless network. And i am positive this basestation works. My ethernet port on my PB still works so i can get online that way...but it sorta defeats the point of the notebook to not be able to move around and be portable. Ah well i guess i will have to call Apple again and tell them what the deal is...sigh

gopher
Oct 13, 2003, 12:55 PM
I've noticed the network may not appear in the Airport menu, but is still accessible, if you know the network name and password. Simply select Other... from the Airport menu. That's if they closed the network. If the machine is put to sleep, or shut down, I have to reconnect to the network with Other... on a closed Airport network.

cubist
Oct 13, 2003, 01:05 PM
Make sure the airport hub is not set to supply IP addresses to the Ethernet network. That is the default way it is set up, but you have the Linksys router doing that. You end up with a dual-IP space on your local LAN. Have the Airport hub get its address from the Linksys.

nuzreq
Oct 14, 2003, 04:41 PM
Well here is the latest update, it is most definitly the airport extreme card that died in my computer. My friend, who also has a 12', and i swapped cards for an experiment and all of the sudden i could get wireless and he couldnt. So i called up apple and they are hooking me up with a new card. Despite the early problems i still love my new computer thanks for all the help :)