PDA

View Full Version : WTB: PowerMac G4 - UK

gazfocus
Jan 14, 2008, 08:42 PM
I am looking for a PowerMac G4 to use as a file server.

Not sure what to request processor wise...open to suggestions.

Hard drive capacity isn't important as I will be buying a couple of high capacity drives.

Also, RAM isn't really important but would prefer at least 512MB (but as I said, this isn't an issue if it happens to be less).

It must have a DVD Rom drive at minimum (would prefer either a CDRW or a combo drive). Superdrive is not really necessary but would be nice if the price is right.

Not bothered about graphics because it'll just be used as a file server for windows and mac's.

I'm from UK so would need to be UK I think.

If you have one for sale, please let me know specs and prices. Thanks

Yoursh
Jan 14, 2008, 09:32 PM
Don't have one to offer but did want to point one thing out.

Avoid the early G4 models.(like my early 2001 model) Their onboard controller has a hard drive limit of 128GB. Even if you put a larger drive into it, the Powermac will only see 128GB. I believe any model made in 2002 or later doesn't have this issue.

Another option to bypass this issue is to install a PCI hard drive controller card into an earlier model. You hook the drives into it rather than the motherboard, skipping the drive limit. Mac compatible ones go for $50+ depending on IDE or SATA versions. Just remember to factor this in if you get an earlier model.

gazfocus
Jan 14, 2008, 09:50 PM
...Avoid the early G4 models.(like my early 2001 model) Their onboard controller has a hard drive limit of 128GB. Even if you put a larger drive into it, the Powermac will only see 128GB. I believe any model made in 2002 or later doesn't have this issue....

Thanks for this. Useful info... Hadn't heard of this limitation before so thanks :)

I will probably looking at buying a SATA controller card just so I can get faster drived (or possibly use the drives out of my PC which I will be selling).

Thanks again

Yoursh
Jan 15, 2008, 01:07 AM
Thanks for this. Useful info... Hadn't heard of this limitation before so thanks :)

I will probably looking at buying a SATA controller card just so I can get faster drived (or possibly use the drives out of my PC which I will be selling).

Thanks again

No problem. If you plan on using a SATA controller card, any model of G4 should be fine. Just make sure you get a card that you can boot from if you plan on booting from one of the SATA drives. Some cards don't offer that function.