PDA

View Full Version : Are PowerMac G4's MDD worth buying anymore ?

dwl017
Jan 14, 2008, 08:48 PM
With technology moving at the speed of light and new Mac's coming out all the time now is it really worth spending more then $200 - $300 on all the older line of Mac's DP G4's Single processor G5 towers etc..

Im asking because I have a few of these older Mac's like a single processor PM G5 and I wonder how soon the window of opportunity to sell these machines will last until it becomes very tough to unload them for more then a few bucks since the technology will be so slow and so far behind.

You can find them on eBay seven days a week 24 hours a day but I also know that eBay is not reality and more less a fools playground.

Thanks

kirkbross
Jan 14, 2008, 09:21 PM
With technology moving at the speed of light and new Mac's coming out all the time now is it really worth spending more then $200 - $300 on all the older line of Mac's DP G4's Single processor G5 towers etc..

Im asking because I have a few of these older Mac's like a single processor PM G5 and I wonder how soon the window of opportunity to sell these machines will last until it becomes very tough to unload them for more then a few bucks since the technology will be so slow and so far behind.

You can find them on eBay seven days a week 24 hours a day but I also know that eBay is not reality and more less a fools playground.

Thanks

eBay will generally reveal the true value of something. Once you do a search, check the "Completed Listings" box to the left and then click "Show Items". That will tell you what the item actually sold for.

As for a G5, you could probably get at least $500 for it now, though it will continually go down. It won't be of zero value for several years though.

OrangeSVTguy
Jan 15, 2008, 07:59 PM
some of the last g4s with the dual processors are still going for over $500, i've seen them go up to $1000 with lots of accessories and software. they are extremely upgradable which is why they still sell. i sold 2 mdds for parts and pulled in over $500 for just the powersupplies, motherboards and processors.

Firefly2002
Jan 15, 2008, 08:28 PM
I'd say it's worth selling them- but not buying now.

My real issue with things like the MDD G4s, is that they were, at least in terms of performance, a joke when they came out, much less now. Don't get me wrong.. they'll run OS X great (I'm typing on a Beige G3 with a G4/500 upgrade), but if you're doing any CPU-intensive work, they're not the way to go.

The G5s, while again, upgradeable (except the CPU, I guess), are slow compared to any current computer out there now. Even the Quad G5s aren't very speedy in contrast.

I think what bothers me the most is that I don't really consider what Apple offers to be Macs anymore. They're just PCs in pretty cases. So I don't want to buy a new "Mac", because I feel I might as well buy a PC and run Mac OS X on it via 3rd-party hacks, and I don't want to buy a 1.42 MDD because it's slower in most cases than the PC laptop I've got already (and will be replacing with a newer, much faster one which will run circles around newer dual G5s).

Of course, there's also another angle- you could keep what you have, and use it with no care as to whether it depreciates in value or not. Just try to enjoy it without the anxiety its sinking street value brings. Kinda what I have to do with this Beige... which all told has probably had (counting sticker price) well over $4,000 sunk into it.