PDA

View Full Version : Educators Beware...

donlphi
Jan 15, 2008, 12:38 AM
Not that I REALLY care (okay I do, otherwise I wouldn't say anything)... but 3 people made comments to me today regarding my wimpy, slightly less impressive name tag. As the educator, I gotta ask, "Couldn't they just give me the regular tag with a different color on the bottom?"

Jeeze... it's borderline discrimination. I had been dreaming about going to this thing for about 6 years. I register online, take off two days of work, fly out to San Francisco, wait in line to get my tag (which took forever because they couldn't move the line fast enough - causing me to miss the only clinic I was able to go to (according to the guy at the door), they don't give me a bag.

It has been very sad and disappointing today. I pray Tuesday is better. :rolleyes:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g137/donlphi/secondclass.jpg

Note to self: Do not sign up for the educator thing ever again - weak!

ArmyKnight12
Jan 15, 2008, 12:43 AM
dude, at least you're there.... the keynote will be awesome. :apple:

Drumjim85
Jan 15, 2008, 12:48 AM
how much money did you save with that pass?

donlphi
Jan 15, 2008, 12:51 AM
The only way the keynote is going to be "worth it" ($300) is if I own Apple stock. :D Unfortunately I don't :(

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy to be here, but I am a little frustrated with the people working the conference. I attend and work at many conferences, and it just seems like everybody passes the buck at MacWorld. I also feel they need to be more clear on their online registration about what needs to be done if you want to see the different sessions.

The keynote is the main reason I wanted to go, but I figured I would be able go and sit in on a few things.

Just venting I suppose.

how much money did you save with that pass?

I really didn't save anything... it was a 2 day pass (which was all I would be able to stay for) and it cost $300.

My brother's pass is the one on the right and it cost $340. He can essentially get into anything except for the educator sessions all week long. I just assumed it was an educator discount, not an educator session.

I missed the first session because they were having computer issues this morning and the line wasn't moving. I went to go up to another session and they said I couldn't get in because I had to register for the session. I had no idea - didn't say it anywhere on my registration receipt anywhere. As a matter of fact they didn't send me the names of the sessions until last Friday.

As a high school band director, I don't know how much it would have helped to attend that particular session, but it beats sitting in the lounge all day browsing the internet.

I think I'm going to file a formal complaint with them.

matticus008
Jan 15, 2008, 01:58 AM
I think I'm going to file a formal complaint with them.
Because your name tag is smaller?

donlphi
Jan 15, 2008, 08:05 AM
Because your name tag is smaller?

no... The small name tag was just the tip of the iceberg. The only difference between me and the homeless guy standing outside of MacWorld is the fact that I paid $300 to get in.

I know Mondays are typically slow days for conventions, but Monday and Tuesday are only days we educators get. The mascone center has a lot of rooms in it. There is only one room I was "allowed" to go in.

I don't want a refund. I just think they should either offer more for educators or don't offer this type of package. As a macworld noob, I felt tricked. Eliminate the "special sessions" and let educators see the regular sessions and figure out how to apply the technology ourselves. I mean, I wasn't even able to see the microsoft office 2008 presentation.

Neo110503
Jan 15, 2008, 08:20 AM
I don't want a refund. I just think they should either offer more for educators or don't offer this type of package. As a macworld noob, I felt tricked. Eliminate the "special sessions" and let educators see the regular sessions and figure out how to apply the technology ourselves. I mean, I wasn't even able to see the microsoft office 2008 presentation.

That's horrible, as someone possibly going into the education field i feel for you and really think you should file a complaint.

stevecrown
Jan 15, 2008, 08:27 AM
Please feel assured that size doesn't matter and we fully respect you, despite your smaller-than-average badge... :D

riscy
Jan 15, 2008, 08:28 AM
As someone in the educational field as well, I think this is pretty poor and near sighted of Apple or whoever has made the decision.

From a business perspective you are probably going to push more trade Apple's way as you are showing kids (future consumers) how great Macs are and why they are better than PCs. Also you are I assume using Macs in your school.

So you would think that as an educator with the "domino effect factor" (no doubt you will mention it to your students and show them the latest software/hardware), that in fact they would be rolling out the red carpet for you and courting you as if you are happy then you will spread the word - to how many future consumers??

It's not exactly rocket science, IMO.

onicon
Jan 15, 2008, 08:36 AM
its not apple but idg you should complain to...

donlphi
Jan 15, 2008, 09:12 AM
Please feel assured that size doesn't matter and we fully respect you, despite your smaller-than-average badge... :D

You sound like my fiancÚ. :(

GoCubsGo
Jan 15, 2008, 09:18 AM
Were you completely unaware of these facts prior to you going? I guess you wouldn't know you didn't get a bag, but otherwise? And shame on you for calling it "borderline discrimination". Really now. But my guess is you had to have had some knowledge of the days events with your "educator" pass and filing a complaint will not do you any good. You're going to do it, you seem rather pissed and as an educator or not I don't understand your logic behind it but it's obviously up to you.

Regardless of how much I disagree with the way you've portrayed your issues I also understand them. Apple could indeed give educators a bit more information so that they can bring the technology back to the schools. Apple isn't going to sell itself in schools and they should cater to the people in that field if those people paid to go to the conference. Heck, they should cater to everyone who paid that much money to watch a monkey talk about everything his company has created all day. ;) Not that I am against the guy but paying that much to see him speak seems all too funny to me.

Puck.
Jan 15, 2008, 09:21 AM
I believe that it's spelled "edumacater"

Squire
Jan 15, 2008, 09:31 AM
Jessica,
Why do you say "...shame on you for calling it 'borderline discrimination'?"

discriminate: to make a distinction in favor of or against a person or thing on the basis of the group, class, or category to which the person or thing belongs rather than according to actual merit; show partiality

Sounds somewhat accurate to me.

-Squire

ScottFitz
Jan 15, 2008, 10:10 AM
$300 to essentially just get to hear the keynote seems like wasted money, along with the airline ticket and hotel bill. I'm sitting in my desk chair about to watch the keynote over the net. Cost: Free.

:)

c'mon, a pissed band director? Apple ain't gonna give a rat's ass. The worst thing you'll do is never go back. They honestly just won't care. But, complain all you want if it makes you feel better. Seems like a screwy deal that they would only allow you into one session. But, maybe the brainiacs at Apple decided to specially tailor a program, albeit it limited, to educators assuming you'd not have much interest in other subjects? Sounds plausible if not highly idiotic.

Fast Shadow
Jan 15, 2008, 10:27 AM
It's a trade show. In America, most educators aren't paid crap and therefore they'll be treated like crap at industry trade events, especially hojillion dollar industries like IT. They don't see you as a walking cash register, so they don't care about you. It's a sad reality - we treat our educators like dirt.

DaveGee
Jan 15, 2008, 10:44 AM
Just venting I suppose.

Pissing about how much non-biodegradable plastic (created with some by product of ozone destroying OIL no doubt) your MWSF 2008 badge is made with is... NUCKING FUTS!

My official clinical diagnosis: BONKERS!

:D

D

matticus008
Jan 15, 2008, 02:11 PM
The only difference between me and the homeless guy standing outside of MacWorld is the fact that I paid $300 to get in.
Reality check: you paid voluntarily, for a pass that provided a set and disclosed number of services which you didn't properly inform yourself about beforehand. Buyer's remorse is not anyone else's responsibility. It sounds like you should have purchased a different pass instead.

I don't want a refund. I just think they should either offer more for educators or don't offer this type of package.
Perhaps a better solution would be to research what is involved with the pass before sinking $300 into something. If it was a bad deal and the educator sessions didn't interest you (note that those sessions are the primary REASON for the educator pass, and if you're not going to use them, there goes the justification right there), then it would behoove you not to spend so much money.

Were you completely unaware of these facts prior to you going? I guess you wouldn't know you didn't get a bag, but otherwise? And shame on you for calling it "borderline discrimination". Really now. But my guess is you had to have had some knowledge of the days events with your "educator" pass and filing a complaint will not do you any good.
Precisely.

The package isn't that great of a deal for nontechnical educators. It's not a "student/teacher discounted admission" pass. Even for many technical educators, other types of admission are more helpful. Still, this is for the purchaser to determine beforehand.