PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Predictions

ArcadeKid
Jan 15, 2008, 06:36 AM
Why has everyone completely ignored the recent patents i.e. ipod induction charging, larger multi touch device,

There's something in the air is a theme, not an individual product.

My predictions *ahem* wishlist includes 5 main announcements

Apple iTunes Rentals - as name states, also for the ipod touch / iphone (if connected to wi-fi)

iPhone SDK and 1.2 with MyLocation and wibble icons etc.
iPhone 2nd Gen, 3G, 16GB induction charging, wireless syncing

'appleTV ][' - home multimedia center, Wi-Fi, 160GB, Blu-Ray, Browser, email, youtube, PVR

thinner macbook, and macbook pro, same stuff, just thinner and a few upgrade tweaks here and there

and the best one MacTouch, 13" multitouch capabilities, but with an onscreen keyboard (like iPhone), wi-fi, no ethernet, blu-ray (or dvd), iSight, 80GB, wireless screen sharing (to view your mac on as well for round the house)

Well I think we can all say the first two are granted, as with the rest, I am probably dreaming but if all of them are announced, I am gonna be spending a lot of money on the apple store!

Please post your opinions and other predictions below.

p.s. (sorry if I have done anything wrong I am a n00b on here)

ArcadeKid

razorianfly
Jan 15, 2008, 06:45 AM

I agree. 'Theres something in the air" refers to Apple's theme of products for this years Macworld expo. Wireless.

It's not refering to an individual product, or a product with the name containing 'Air' (do you all seriously think Apple would make it that obvious? _)

Predictions:

- Stats Talk about Mac/iPod/iPhone/Leopard

- iTunes.

Shipping new version for new products to be announced. Updates to 8.0, Rentals, New version ships tonight.

- Apple TV

Revamped. Becomes your Media center, 160GB, 250GB, $499, $599 respectively.

- iPhone

Updates to current iPhone model: None.

Current Model: We're announcing, ships to Asia in March 08, and Australia in Nov 08.

- Introduction of iPhone 2.0

Induction charged, 3G, And Now Wirelessly Syncs with iTunes, . Shippping June 08.

SDK Preview:

Delighted to welcome up on stage, CEO of SlingMedia!

New apps demoed (both Apple and Slingbox). Available Feburary (Special Event 28th)

Firmware v1.2.0 - movable icons. Also coming to iPod touch with notes.app & mail.app! (jokes about how much we've all wanted them). Available Tonight through iTunes 8.0.

- "One More Thing"

Introducing, Macbook portable. Induction charged. 32Gb SSD. Just 20mm thick.

Thats it. R-Fly

dalvin200
Jan 15, 2008, 06:49 AM
I agree. 'Theres something in the air" refers to Apple's theme of products forthis years Macworld expo. Wireless.

It's not refering to an individual product, or a product with the name containing 'Air' (do you all seriously think Apple would make it that obvious? _)

Predictions:

- iTunes, Updates to 8.0, Rentals, New version ships tonight.

- Apple TV revamp. Becomes your Media center, 60GB, $499

- iPhone, Ships to Asia March 08 , Updates: No 3G, SDK Preview - new apps demoed (both Apple and Slingbox). Firmware 1.2.0 - movable apps. Also coming to iPod touch. Available Tonight.

- "One More Thing" - Macbook portable.

Thats it. R-Fly

I think my friend, you have hit the nail right on the head!

ArcadeKid
Jan 15, 2008, 06:59 AM
I think you are right R-Fly, and I meant iPhone 1.2 instead of 1.1.3, my bad.

But will the mac portable be just a smaller thinner version? I would have said that the induction charging of the iPhone 2nd Gen would be a bigger deal than just a smaller thinner version along the lines of the predicted MacBook Air. Surely it has to be slightly more 'outrageous' doesnt it?

razorianfly
Jan 15, 2008, 07:05 AM
I think you are right R-Fly, and I meant iPhone 1.2 instead of 1.1.3, my bad.

But will the mac portable be just a smaller thinner version? I would have said that the induction charging of the iPhone 2nd Gen would be a bigger deal than just a smaller thinner version along the lines of the predicted MacBook Air. Surely it has to be slightly more 'outrageous' doesnt it?

Yes there has to be more to it, but for now, thats all I have got.

Just updated my post ... to include some other things.

macmike47
Jan 15, 2008, 07:07 AM
I agree. 'Theres something in the air" refers to Apple's theme of products for this years Macworld expo. Wireless.

Predictions:

- iTunes.

Shipping new version for new products to be announced. Updates to 8.0, Rentals, New version ships tonight.

- Apple TV

Revamped Becomes your Media center, 60GB, $499

- iPhone

Updates to current iPhone model: None.

Current Model: We're announcing, ships to Asia in March 08, and Australia in Nov 08.

- Introduction of iPhone 2.0

Induction charged, 3G, And Now Wirelessly Syncs with iTunes, . Shippping June 08.

SDK Preview:

Delighted to welcome up on stage, CEO of SlingMedia!

New apps demoed (both Apple and Slingbox). Available Feburary (Special Event 28th)

Firmware v1.2.0 - movable icons. Also coming to iPod touch with notes.app & mail.app! (jokes about how much we've all wanted them). Available Tonight through iTunes 8.0.

- "One More Thing"

Introducing, Macbook portable. Induction charged. 32Gb SSD. Just 20mm thick.

Thats it. R-Fly

I can definitely see this happening. Surely 160GB Apple TV though?

razorianfly
Jan 15, 2008, 07:12 AM
I can definitely see this happening. Surely 160GB Apple TV though?

Yeah, sorry, my bad, slip of the finger :/. Fixed.

R-Fly

ArcadeKid
Jan 15, 2008, 07:12 AM
I would still love to see this happen though

http://www.kidsyd.com/JobsKeynote2008.jpg

I am grabbing onto all hope that it happens, they have the technology for it, I just hope they do it, basically a big iPod Touch

It is PHOTOSHOPED

macmike47
Jan 15, 2008, 07:16 AM
Yeah, sorry, my bad, slip of the finger :/. Fixed.

R-Fly

Lol, don't mean to go on at you :o , but how about 250GB for the higher spec one (like the Macbooks, no?) :p

ArcadeKid
Jan 15, 2008, 07:16 AM
Do you reckon us iPhone 1st Gen users would be able to easily upgrade? there was some talk that we could upgrade straight way, but that was all rumours. What do you reckon? Will we have to wait until the end of our contracts.

Viddrumr32
Jan 15, 2008, 07:17 AM
R-Fly I seriously hope so. Especially the induction charging. I heard about that a couple years ago and how it should be implemented into wireless devices in the future but I've heard nothing about it since. For me, if that was the only thing added today I would be happy. The rest is icing on the cake. :D

razorianfly
Jan 15, 2008, 07:18 AM
Lol, don't mean to go on at you :o , but how about 250GB for the higher spec one (like the Macbooks, no?) :p

Done. :cool:

R-Fly

MacGeek7
Jan 15, 2008, 07:37 AM
I would still love to see this happen though

http://www.kidsyd.com/JobsKeynote2008.jpg

I am grabbing onto all hope that it happens, they have the technology for it, I just hope they do it, basically a big iPod Touch

It is PHOTOSHOPED

FAKE! The lighting is all wrong.

(yes, i realize it's joke.)

DHUK
Jan 15, 2008, 07:50 AM
Obviously something is Macbook related but I've noticed on the UK store that the top seller list includes Macbook 13" (as well as Macbook Pro), so are we going to expect a 15" Macbook? Or an 11"?

razorianfly
Jan 15, 2008, 07:57 AM
Obviously something is Macbook related but I've noticed on the UK store that the top seller list includes Macbook 13" (as well as Macbook Pro), so are we going to expect a 15" Macbook? Or an 11"?

Possibly yes. If, and I say if, Apple decide to release a redesigned macbook, I can see them opting for 10" - 12" display. I would hope it was induction charged (citing the recent patent which was filed), and it has to be SSD, aluminium (to be able to create the real thinness we're looking for).

Having at least 32Gb SSD is a plus. Obv, Running full Leopard 10.5 and a glossy screen.

Thats what I think we are in for, in less than 4 1/2 hours.

The name? - Macbook portable.

R-Fly

Cooknn
Jan 15, 2008, 08:00 AM
Apple teams up with DirecTV to beam iTunes content directly to your new SAT :apple:tv/iPhone/iPod. There's definitely "Something in the Air". ;)

Digital Skunk
Jan 15, 2008, 08:01 AM
Why has everyone completely ignored the recent patents i.e. ipod induction charging, larger multi touch device,

My predictions *ahem* wishlist includes 5 main announcements

Apple iTunes Rentals - as name states, also for the ipod touch / iphone (if connected to wi-fi)

iPhone SDK and 1.2 with MyLocation and wibble icons etc.
iPhone 2nd Gen, 3G, 16GB induction charging, wireless syncing

'appleTV ][' - home multimedia center, Wi-Fi, 160GB, Blu-Ray, Browser, email, youtube, PVR

thinner macbook, and macbook pro, same stuff, just thinner and a few upgrade tweaks here and there

and the best one MacTouch, 13" multitouch capabilities, but with an onscreen keyboard (like iPhone), wi-fi, no ethernet, blu-ray (or dvd), iSight, 80GB, wireless screen sharing (to view your mac on as well for round the house)

Well I think we can all say the first two are granted, as with the rest, I am probably dreaming but if all of them are announced, I am gonna be spending a lot of money on the apple store!

Please post your opinions and other predictions below.

p.s. (sorry if I have done anything wrong I am a n00b on here)

ArcadeKid

It's all garbage because nothing is PROFESSIONAL... we need a new MacBook Pro!

cwebb15
Jan 15, 2008, 08:02 AM
That's all good, but since I'm getting ready to replace my 1.67ghz Powerbook G4, I'm really hoping for a revamp of the macbook pro line. Maybe some more significant aesthetic changes so I feel like I've bought a completely new product compared to my Pbook?

I would even consider a Black Macbook if they get rid of the x3100 and move to a dedicated video chip, but that's highly unlikely to happen today.

Spock
Jan 15, 2008, 08:13 AM
It's all garbage because nothing is PROFESSIONAL... we need a new MacBook Pro!

Macworld is more based on consumer products, not always but often thats part of the reason that the MacPro got an update a few weeks ago and not at Macworld.

razorianfly
Jan 15, 2008, 08:14 AM
That's all good, but since I'm getting ready to replace my 1.67ghz Powerbook G4, I'm really hoping for a revamp of the macbook pro line. Maybe some more significant aesthetic changes so I feel like I've bought a completely new product compared to my Pbook?

I would even consider a Black Macbook if they get rid of the x3100 and move to a dedicated video chip, but that's highly unlikely to happen today.

Yes. Today is wireless themed presumably.

I predict: No Macbook Pro updates. They'll probably quietly bump something on the store, after the keynote. But thats it.

R-Fly

maxlew
Jan 15, 2008, 08:14 AM
I'm guessing the "there something in the air" could be referring to a drm free itunes as in a change in the tide or some horrible cliche, however I'm hoping we get some itunes normal vs itunes plus sales figures.

i dont think we will see anything with flash hard drives or bluray. Maybe a 3g laptop there was rumors of that ages ago. I'm guessing eitherway a lot of people will be pissed.

zipadidoodah
Jan 15, 2008, 08:17 AM
I'm still convinced there will be news about The Beatles on iTunes.
Something in the Air - Revolution - The Beatles?
:rolleyes:

Or am i just wishing?

razorianfly
Jan 15, 2008, 08:24 AM
I'm still convinced there will be news about The Beatles on iTunes.
Something in the Air - Revolution - The Beatles?
:rolleyes:

Or am i just wishing?

Well it's not happened yet, Although, it seems Steve likes to tease us with that 'possible outcome' at every event now (remember the last ipod event? - 'The beat goes on') The last line the Beatles were recorded saying, before they broke up. - And even then, the Beatles didn't materialise on iTunes.

It is coming, but I think - to be honest - it would cause for an anti-climatic announcement at Macworld.

Anyone else agree?

R-Fly

Jaymes
Jan 15, 2008, 08:34 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/20/Hoverboard.png

The iHover?

macbr08
Jan 15, 2008, 08:38 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love the concept of induction charging and touch screen ....

but...

While browsing, emailing and all that sort of stuff is great on our multi-touch iphone screen.... can you picture your yourself working on a computer like that ... I mean photoshop, webdesign etc... of course you'd have the keyboard and mouse as optionals... but i still can't quite imagine working on a screen with fingerprints all over... and unless you are willing to clean it daily ...

and on induction charging.... would that mean carrying some sort of "base station" or charging pada aorund... instead of the charger we have now ?
I mean ... how would you charge it on the go?

am i missing something here ?

Cheers!

ErikAndre
Jan 15, 2008, 08:40 AM
My guess...

- Penryn Announcement (upgrades throughout the next 6 months to penryn)
- MacBook Pro (announcement of upcoming upgrade to mobile penryn)
- AppleTV (I would expect some type of upgrade here)
- Slim Macbook (in white and black) (yawn)
- 10.5.2 Update
- 8800GT Card shipping today (included with 10.5.2 update.. lets hope anyway)
- iPhone SDK, with improved GPS (still limited)
- iTunes 7.6, rentals, blah blah (yawn)
- Updated Wireless Hard Drive (using N technology, works with Time Machine)
- Laptop Docking Station (for the new macbook air, and other future macbooks)

(and....)

- Apple Cinema Displays with iSight and possibly Apple Remote addon
----- I'm nearly 95% positive this is coming out. The ACD's are no longer on Apple Store's web site and honestly, Apple doesn't care if early mac pro adopters bought them with their new computers (they wanted to brag at the MWSF08 about them).

ArcadeKid
Jan 15, 2008, 08:48 AM
My predictions of the MacTouch would simply be a larger ipodTouch with basic stuff on it, not quite as restricted,

more than 50% of computer users use their computer for websurfing and basic text editing. It wouldnt be a full blown computer more of a roaming computer for you to use round the house or on the move. I dont think it would be a full blown MacBook, but would feature iLife.

This is my idea, again it is photoshoped

http://www.kidsyd.com/mactouch.jpg
(it does have an isight it is just very small in the middle at the top, if you look carefully, you can see it.)
ArcadeKid

Topaz
Jan 15, 2008, 08:53 AM
this is what apple are releasing

karleaglemac
Jan 15, 2008, 08:57 AM

Haha! That's the best "Mac Book Air" play on words so far.

Topaz
Jan 15, 2008, 09:05 AM
also found this poster splatted on the street

ArcadeKid
Jan 15, 2008, 09:06 AM
Are we sure they arent venturing into the pharmaceutical industry?

http://www.kidsyd.com/air.jpg

A new hangover cure, a concoction of oxygen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide?

ArcadeKid

Jaymes
Jan 15, 2008, 09:08 AM
I give you . . .

The Apple Jean-RobAir:

mrgreen4242
Jan 15, 2008, 09:11 AM
Ok, my $.02... Prediction and also (wishes) in parenthesis.

1) normal "pat myself on the bag talk" about sales, etc.
2) iPhone/touch: firmware update coming later this week, adds new features, including support for official SDK. SDK demoed, apps created with it demoed/released with the update. This will include a game or two. (wireless syncing, SDK is freely available to all devs and doesn't severely limit them)
3) ATV gets updated, lower price, bigger drives, faster hardware with support for higher res and/or bitrates. (USB BluRay drive optional)
4) iTunes: rentals coming, crappy pricing, limited to iTunes, ATV, iPod touch/classic, iPhone - yes, 5/5.5G users left out. iPod versions of movies preloaded on 'select' Fox and Disney discs. (Subscription plan for movies/TV shows and maybe music).
5) MacBook: new subnote, blah blah blah. Nothing really surprising here. (It won't be super extremely expensive).
6) One more thing: something no one's predicted yet, or at least have only just randomly guessed at it.

I think a lot of people are in for disappointment, thinking this will be a huge keynote, when it will really be just average.

nbs2
Jan 15, 2008, 09:17 AM
Do you reckon us iPhone 1st Gen users would be able to easily upgrade? there was some talk that we could upgrade straight way, but that was all rumours. What do you reckon? Will we have to wait until the end of our contracts.

According to ATT, because these phones are not subsidized, they will not affect your "upgrade" dates. This is why so many people have been able to buy a given phone, sell it on eBay at a profit and use the income to offset the cost of purchasing an iPhone. Not that you would, but you could buy a new iPhone1 today, activate it, and your contract end date would simply be 2 years from today.

macfan881
Jan 15, 2008, 09:20 AM
i think we shall see

Itunes now movie Rentals and talks about how fox will also have a Digital Ready Movie file to put on your ipod no riping neaded First movie to have this will be Family guy blu harvest wich is available today Itunes 8 now out and the Itunes music store is now known as The Itunes Store.

Iphone showss off sdk kit apps will be available from itunes with price going from free to 6.99. new firmware update from leaked features also now download tv Shows and movie rentals from the wifi store. finaly iphone apps Mail Google maps stocks notes are available for free later today. one more thing 16 gig iphone available with 3G 499 and a 100 rebate for anyone who wants to upgrade

Apple TV steve will acidently call this ITV again j/k ;) talks about having your media in your living room now makes it the ultimate media hub ads partnership with eye TV and makes this the next Tivo and now itunes movie rentals can be bought Straight to your apple Tv 80 gigs and 160 ships next week and itunes rental service will be available to other :apple: TV owners later today.

Leopard Huge Success much wider received than Vista and it just Works talks new update with some features that were removed during beta testing Fast Boot camp Switch to windows to use that app you need on your partition with out restarting just puts the mac asleep and switches over to pc liked it was talked about before. few other features IE missing IChat special effects. and then says its the most stable Leopard realse

Microsoft Office talks the partnership with MS to make this software shows off the new office Should be available within a few weeks.

One More thing..... Wifi for everyone any one who has a router or Wifi device such as the iphone ipod touch access the internet anywhere with out a ip service a small fee 10-15 bucks a month have the internet anywhere in the U.S.

Topaz
Jan 15, 2008, 09:22 AM
Haha! That's the best "Mac Book Air" play on words so far.

glad you like the punn!!

Viddrumr32
Jan 15, 2008, 09:25 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love the concept of induction charging and touch screen ....

but...

While browsing, emailing and all that sort of stuff is great on our multi-touch iphone screen.... can you picture your yourself working on a computer like that ... I mean photoshop, webdesign etc... of course you'd have the keyboard and mouse as optionals... but i still can't quite imagine working on a screen with fingerprints all over... and unless you are willing to clean it daily ...

and on induction charging.... would that mean carrying some sort of "base station" or charging pada aorund... instead of the charger we have now ?
I mean ... how would you charge it on the go?

am i missing something here ?

Cheers!

I've thought of two ways Apple could do this. One, they could add it into the docks they already make and have the connection from dock to powerbrick wireless (iPhone & iPods) and/or Two, they could somehow add it as a hardware upgrade and have the connection wirelessly from the device (Macbooks, iPods, iPhone) to the powerbrick. You only need to be within 30 ft for the device to start charging. The latter is what I'm hoping for but I'm doubtful we'll see anything "induction charging" related at all today....But if it did that would be great. :)

Viddrumr32
Jan 15, 2008, 09:26 AM

I love it

LizKat
Jan 15, 2008, 09:27 AM

Finally. Something I could really go for. Thanks!!

juststranded
Jan 15, 2008, 10:01 AM
Here's my last minute prediction:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2386/2193859673_71476bc5ca_o.jpg

Digital Skunk
Jan 15, 2008, 10:05 AM
Macworld is more based on consumer products, not always but often thats part of the reason that the MacPro got an update a few weeks ago and not at Macworld.

You said it yourself.... not always. They did upgrade the Mac Pro but not the MacBook Pro which is in need of an upgrade.

also found this poster splatted on the street

Best post yet. Tired of all the MacBook Air BS. If it comes out great, but Apple still needs to update the MacBook Pro.

chubad
Jan 15, 2008, 10:06 AM

Nice wish but I don't think AT&T would be too thrilled.

mikey.f
Jan 15, 2008, 10:06 AM
I personally believe this keynote will bring such updates to the laptop line, as the last iPod keynote brought to the iPod line. Thus, I believe we will see a complete design refresh of MacBooks, MacBook Pros, and a completely new product, like the oh-so-much rumoured MBAir. And yeah, X.5.2, and such stuff, will be announced, too. That's my guess! :apple: :apple: :apple:

Viddrumr32
Jan 15, 2008, 10:09 AM

Of Course! I don't know why nobody thought of this before! ;)

juststranded
Jan 15, 2008, 10:10 AM
I personally believe this keynote will bring such updates to the laptop line, as the last iPod keynote brought to the iPod line. Thus, I believe we will see a complete design refresh of MacBooks, MacBook Pros, and a completely new product, like the oh-so-much rumoured MBAir. And yeah, X.5.2, and such stuff, will be announced, too. That's my guess! :apple: :apple: :apple:

Seriously. The MacBook Pro needs a NEW CASE! It's been basically the same since the Al-PB's and even the TiBook (essentially).

a456
Jan 15, 2008, 10:13 AM
Steve walks on the drums start beating, "I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh lord, oh lord ...." Entire Phil Collins back catalogue exclusively available on iTunes immediately. Woo hoo!

mrgreen4242
Jan 15, 2008, 10:19 AM
I'd love to see Apple run an MVNO or whatever those are called. Seems like it would piss ATT off pretty fierce, but then again Steve's never really seemed to care about making anyone but the stock holders happy.

I'd buy into it, if the prices were right. I'm shopping for a new cell provider when my contract ends in about 5 or 6 months, so it would be nice to have the option. If they released an iPhone nano it would be perfect, though, as I'd need a $99 or so phone for my wife.

But, since it's Apple, should they launch their own MNVO it'll be pricey, which isn't exactly what I look for in cell phone service. (I use about 100-120 minutes a month and my wife uses, surprisingly, about 60-80 - I don't know why mine have been so high the last few months, I used to only to 30-60).

What would be great, though, is a truly ala cart phone prepaid service with no contracts and reasonable prices. You pick what you want to buy month to month and pay for it with the option to have that 'package' autobilled each month if you want.

I'm thinking like buying time in 10 or 30 minute blocks, with discounts for buying more, buying unlimited time slots (nights starting at 6, 7, 8, or 9pm, weekends, etc for different amounts), text/photo messaging blocks, data plans, plus an option to buy a product that changes your overage rates. For example, for $0 you get a standard overage account that charges you $.25 per minute for time over your prepaid block (charged to a credit card on file), or for $5 you can get an option to drop that price to $.10/minute, etc.

juststranded
Jan 15, 2008, 10:29 AM
Nah Apple would do something like, buy your iPhone completely independent of their wireless service. Pay $50/month for one phone and use it how you please. No contract. If you don't want to use it for a month, put it on hold. Resume when you want to.

mrgreen4242
Jan 15, 2008, 02:01 PM
Ok, my $.02... Prediction and also (wishes) in parenthesis.

1) normal "pat myself on the bag talk" about sales, etc.
2) iPhone/touch: firmware update coming later this week, adds new features, including support for official SDK. SDK demoed, apps created with it demoed/released with the update. This will include a game or two. (wireless syncing, SDK is freely available to all devs and doesn't severely limit them)
3) ATV gets updated, lower price, bigger drives, faster hardware with support for higher res and/or bitrates. (USB BluRay drive optional)
4) iTunes: rentals coming, crappy pricing, limited to iTunes, ATV, iPod touch/classic, iPhone - yes, 5/5.5G users left out. iPod versions of movies preloaded on 'select' Fox and Disney discs. (Subscription plan for movies/TV shows and maybe music).
5) MacBook: new subnote, blah blah blah. Nothing really surprising here. (It won't be super extremely expensive).
6) One more thing: something no one's predicted yet, or at least have only just randomly guessed at it.

I think a lot of people are in for disappointment, thinking this will be a huge keynote, when it will really be just average.

1) Check.
2) Pretty darn close. Check.
3) Partially right... no hardware, but pretty significant software updates and price drop. Check
4) Wrong about 5G's. Check for everything else. EDIT: turns out I was right about this.
5) Check. I'm not impressed by the "Air".
6) No one more thing, so 0 points there.
7) Overall, nothing surprising or particularly great, so I'm going to give myself a check as well.

All in all, 5.5 out of 7 isn't bad. Edit: I think that puts my score up to 6 out of 7. :p