Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During Steve Jobs' keynote address, he announced 5 new apps for the iPod Touch: Mail, Stocks, Notes, Weather, Maps.

The updated software will be available to existing users for a $20 upgrade fee.
MacHeist is providing full sponsorship for our MacRumorsLive feed today. Buy their 11 application bundle for $49 and support MacRumorsLive.

Article Link

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
20$ hmmm. Not really a great move by Apple. But it`s just 20 bucks in the end. So no need for any whining. Better than having to jailbreak just for these apps.

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
Again, Apple screws the early adopters.

$20 isn't bad, but still. It's the principle that "new" iPod Touches will include the update.

Still, I'll buy it for my Touch.

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
Yay, a necessary firmware upgrade disguised as a $20 app upgrade package. Way to go Apple. :rolleyes:

aviationwiz

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
$20 for this update? I thought it was a joke at first. Can't you just jailbreak an iPod touch and add all those apps to it for free? Sometimes Apple just doesn't make any sense.

nuzreq

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
So, if I buy a new iPod Touch today from Amazon and it doesn't include the new software will I have to fork over $20? Or will I be able to get it for free when I register the device?

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
So, if I buy a new iPod Touch today from Amazon and it doesn't include the new software will I have to fork over $20? Or will I be able to get it for free when I register the device?

I wonder the same thing. I bought a touch yesterday afternoon. Sheesh.:(

pacohaas

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Will there be two firmware versions from here on out for those who don't pony up the $20?

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Has mail now, that's great. Now I just need a cisco
vpn client (altogether possible with an SDK coming soon)
and a storage bump and I'll be all over the touch.

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
Apple is just plain greedy. I wish they would stop doing these things. God bless piracy, I'm sure the official firmware update will be online shortly.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
As bad as this is that it costs to get these new apps, you have to remember Apple was never going to release them for free in the first place. They're only adding it as an option now because so many people are having to resort to jailbreaking just because those apps are useful.

If they'd originally released the iPod touch with these apps the fear was it would eat away at iPhone sales, and even though Steve said there were 4 million iPhone sales, he didn't say how many iPod touch sales there were.

I'm actually pleased that this update isn't going to cost me much, and for what, a bit of good karma because I'm not stealing, OK, fine by me. For others it wont be enough.

Will there be two firmware versions from here on out for those who don't pony up the $20?

I'm thinking iTunes will have an applications folder. They'll be stored in there, you'll still download iPod touch-specific updates but you'll be able to add your applications again afterwards if they're removed or what not.

christopher3071

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Upstate, NY
Ridiculous

I find it utterly atrocious that apple wants to charge me $20 for applications that they gave away on the iphone. That is absolute bull. A factor that made me buy the iPod touch was because apple said that they had other features down the line that they would be adding. I didn't expect to have to pay for such applications! I gave them $400+ of my money for an iPod touch and THEY WANT MORE?!?! Jailbreak it is. I am very pissed off. I love apple and have always granted them praise, but this is an outrage.

the_ki

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
An odd discrepancy...

I think it's odd that the Apple TV gets a s**tload of new features and that software upgrade is FREE.

But iPod Touch gets features that aren't really new, and it costs $20?

I guess the Apple TV updates are going to be subsidized by the movie rental costs.

Oh, and Time Capsule? Now there's a bait and switch. You can't use Time Machine over a network connection UNLESS you buy our box. That's ridiculous.

cyberfunk

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Register your discontent

Ugh.. I hope they don't justify this with that accounting BS again. Honestly... someone will pirate this and it'll be on bittorrent before next week. Alternatively, JailBreak the touch.

If you're as annoyed as I am about this... register your discontent with this obnoxious practice here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipodtouch.html

christopher3071

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Upstate, NY
I think it's odd that the Apple TV gets a s**tload of new features and that software upgrade is FREE.

But iPod Touch gets features that aren't really new, and it costs $20?

I guess the Apple TV updates are going to be subsidized by the movie rental costs.

Oh, and Time Capsule? Now there's a bait and switch. You can't use Time Machine over a network connection UNLESS you buy our box. That's ridiculous.

True, but apple tv wasn't selling as apple had hoped when it was released.

Koyder

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2003
How am I supposed to buy the update if I live in Poland, where there's no iTunes Store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.