More expensive than MacBook &....

-Same size screen
-slower, smaller reg HDD / expensive smaller SSD
-Slower processor
-lack of optical drive
-about same battery life
-could have 1st gen problems
-more expensive

you will be paying for the coolness factor.... i mean what is 1"? just buy MacBook for now

Screw what i said before... i fell in love .. even bought the 3k model :( ohh wife is gunna hate me lol

MidiMonk
Jan 15, 2008, 12:51 PM
Its basically an Ipod grafted into a macbook, the 12" G4 powerbook was cool this is garbage.

heatmiser
Jan 15, 2008, 12:52 PM
The computer you're typing from works fine?

MIDI_EVIL
Jan 15, 2008, 12:52 PM
No speakers either?

^squirrel^
Jan 15, 2008, 12:54 PM
Complete tosh, i wont be buying that!

rogersmj
Its basically an Ipod grafted into a macbook, the 12" G4 powerbook was cool this is garbage.

While I'm not personally going to buy an Air, that's possibly the strangest statement I've seen in awhile. How the hell is this an iPod grafted into a MacBook? This thing runs full OS X...it's a REAL computer. It's not a fraking iPod.

If the 12" powerbook was cool, why is the Air garbage? It's a small, compact, light machine. If someone wants a really small laptop, this is it. I fail to see why it's so bad. You always pay for thinness.

thechidz
Its basically an Ipod grafted into a macbook

my sentiment exactly. I will be waiting for a more powerful mbp thank you. This is designed for the Paris Hilton's of the world to tote along with their Chihuahuas :p

thechidz
Jan 15, 2008, 12:56 PM
While I'm not personally going to buy an Air, that's possibly the strangest statement I've seen in awhile. How the hell is this an iPod grafted into a MacBook? This thing runs full OS X...it's a REAL computer. It's not a fraking iPod.

If the 12" powerbook was cool, why is the Air garbage? It's a small, compact, light machine. If someone wants a really small laptop, this is it. I fail to see why it's so bad. You always pay for thinness.

I say why not just get an iphone? It has more functionality than this thing and runs full osx?

jnc
No speakers either?

Get out. For real?

Billy Bob

-Same size screen
-Slower processor
-lack of optical drive
-about same battery life
-more expensive

you will be paying for the coolness factor.... i mean what is 1"? just buy MacBook for now

Why not buy one?
Grossly over priced
horrible macbook style keyboard
very poor battery life
poor performance
untested new model

Billy Bob
Jan 15, 2008, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=MidiMonk;4757543]Its basically an Ipod grafted into a macbook/QUOTE]

my sentiment exactly. I will be waiting for a more powerful mbp thank you. This is designed for the Paris Hilton's of the world to tote along with their Chihuahuas :p

Everything from mac lately has been built for style not functionality

rogersmj
Jan 15, 2008, 12:58 PM
I say why not just get an iphone? It has more functionality than this thing and runs full osx?

You're kidding, right? The iPhone DOESN'T run full OS X. It runs a variant of OS X. How in bloody hell does an iPhone have more functionality than a full computer? I can't do real word processing or web development on an iPhone, nor can I even look at web sites with Flash on them, or prepare a presentation, or any number of things.

What is with you people?

CavesOfTQLT
Jan 15, 2008, 12:59 PM
Somehow I get the feeling that that drop-down port door will soon get broke.

MidiMonk
Jan 15, 2008, 12:59 PM

The 12" had firewire, usb, dvd built in, and despite not not being thin it was very mobile.1 usb2 port is a joke, its bad enough that for all the coolness Apple seems to bring to the table as of late, it sacrifices form over function.Besides with Apples QC of late it will probably melt.

I have been an avid Apple fan since the IIe too, so i am no trolling

Thomas Davie
Jan 15, 2008, 01:00 PM
Only one USB port. That reduces the functionality for me. No optical drive.

Shrug. I see it as underpowered, but useful for some.

Tom

LeftoverCrack
ya this was a major disappointment for me. its not practical. sure its small but it is almost useless if your doing anything past mail and websurfing.

heatmiser

Thank you.

MIDI_EVIL
Get out. For real?

Doesn't seem like it.

I watched the intro video, nowhere to be seen. I can't see them in any images either.

peejack
Jan 15, 2008, 01:01 PM
Really no speakers???? :eek::eek:

timestoby
Jan 15, 2008, 01:03 PM
id rather stick with the macbook FAT.at least you dont go without.

chilipie
Get out. For real?

Audio
Analogue audio output/headphone out (minijack)
Built-in mono speaker
Built-in omnidirectional microphone

Don't worry :)

lucky3killer
No dedicated graphic chipset in MBA but I'm really don't care about MB or MBA, I only care about MBP.

I think that MBA isn't for games, it is really great for mobile and daily use, such as email, safari, watch downloaded video or so.

MBA's HDD use ATA, should call IDE? lol...

Also, no FireWire port too.

MadGoat
Jan 15, 2008, 01:04 PM
It has a mono speaker built in.

Domofloge
Jan 15, 2008, 01:04 PM
I am utterly amazed that Apple would produce a laptop that has no speakers!!!!!!!!!!! For how much Apple as prided themselves on being at the forfront of music and such.. WOW. Also, only one USB port?? What were they thinking??

The Macbook Air is all about the FLASH!! :mad:

Denali9
Jan 15, 2008, 01:05 PM
Did I read specs correctly, it says integrated battery, I assume this mean that you cannot change the battery and have a fully charged spare to swap wen needed! That would be bad. Please tell me a misread the information provided by Apple!

Billy Bob
Jan 15, 2008, 01:07 PM
Did I read specs correctly, it says integrated battery, I assume this mean that you cannot change the battery and have a fully charged spare to swap wen needed! That would be bad. Please tell me a misread the information provided by Apple!

it's probably an ipod/iphone all over again... send it back to apple for a moderately priced replacement

MIDI_EVIL

No you can get a standard 1.8 HD.

;)

heatmiser

Yup. I don't think there will be any user-replaceable parts on a machine like this. It's like an iPod! Isn't that cool?

lucky3killer
Jan 15, 2008, 01:08 PM
I am utterly amazed that Apple would produce a laptop that has no speakers!!!!!!!!!!! For how much Apple as prided themselves on being at the forfront of music and such.. WOW. Also, only one USB port?? What were they thinking??

There's tip, you can use USB Hub.

Hawkeye411
Jan 15, 2008, 01:08 PM
I know it's small and they need to save space but ... NO return key!!!!! What where they thinking ... It will take forever to get used to tapping the keypad key instead of using a return key!!!
:mad:

burp43
Jan 15, 2008, 01:09 PM
It's TOO THIN! For that size notebook it's out of proportion. Looks awkward to handle.

havand
Jan 15, 2008, 01:10 PM
Battery is not 18650 li-ion based. Probably a li-po based battery. (instead of being a compilation of round long cells, it is a flexible..ish metalic 'pouch' like the ipods) I do NOT want to know the cost of replacing that battery...

MIDI_EVIL
I know it's small and they need to save space but ... NO return key!!!!! What where they thinking ... It will take forever to get used to tapping the keypad key instead of using a return key!!!

Check again, full sized keyboard, with return key.

.:R2theT
[QUOTE=thechidz;4757613]

I find my iPhone to be quite functional.

As for the Air, I find it to be a year or two ahead of the technology in terms of price. I understand why they have put this out now but this won't be a real player until ssd prices drop dramatically.

I will stick with my MacBook.

lucky3killer
Jan 15, 2008, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE=Billy Bob;4757671]

I find my iPhone to be quite functional.

As for the Air, I find it to be a year or two ahead of the technology in terms of price. I understand why they have put this out now but this won't be a real player until ssd prices drop dramatically.

I will stick with my MacBook.

If it does choice on MacBook vs. MacBook Air then I will pick MacBook over MacBook Air.

Hawkeye411
Jan 15, 2008, 01:13 PM

Check again, full sized keyboard, with return key.

It was actually a joke ... I was making fun of your earlier comment about it not including a speaker.
LAMO
:p:D
Just my weird sense of humor at work :)

heatmiser
Jan 15, 2008, 01:14 PM
Battery is not 18650 li-ion based. Probably a li-po based battery. (instead of being a compilation of round long cells, it is a flexible..ish metalic 'pouch' like the ipods) I do NOT want to know the cost of replacing that battery...

Since it isn't user-replaceable, I'd wager a minimum of $120 (standard battery price from Apple), and a high-end of $200. In either case, it'll be a PITA to surrender your computer each time you need new juice.

byeehaaw
Jan 15, 2008, 01:17 PM
major dissapointment. impractical laptop.. at first i thought it was cool... but for that amount of money u could get a top of hte line macbook.

havand
Jan 15, 2008, 01:18 PM
Since it isn't user-replaceable, I'd wager a minimum of $120 (standard battery price from Apple), and a high-end of $200. In either case, it'll be a PITA to surrender your computer each time you need new juice.

I just went and checked the price of a 10Ah li-po battery vs 4 18650 li-ion batteries. Suprisingly similarly priced. I thought for sure the li-po would be far more expensive. Still a PIA.

Might not be too bad. You can get a 3.7V 10Ah (37W) battery for ~$50 retail.

theman
Jan 15, 2008, 01:18 PM
it honestly took me until about post #30 to realize what MBA stands for... :D

I was like, you can get a business degree from apple now????

ojwk
Jan 15, 2008, 01:21 PM
I think this is very suitable for certain people and very unsuitable for others. Where the MacBook is a very much jack of all trades this is for quite a niche. It is obviously not a desktop replacement but it is extremely portable.

The only reason I still have an iBook G4 is because I have had no reason to upgrade. The only capacity in which I would employ an laptop for would be in word processing, delivering presentations, internet browsing, IM, email etc.. I would never use on a my digital hub. Thats why I've got a Mac Pro.

For this reason the MacBook Air would be extremely useful for me and I will probably buy one in two weeks time. I agree that you are paying the price for the portability however for me thats what laptops are all about.

dante@sisna.com
Jan 15, 2008, 01:21 PM

I will be waiting for a more powerful mbp thank you. :p

You will be waiting quite a while.

The New Penryn's will not be out until late spring at earliest now, and they are not much of an improvement over the recent Santa Rosa update of November.

thechidz
Jan 15, 2008, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=thechidz;4757613]

You will be waiting quite a while.

The New Penryn's will not be out until late spring at earliest now, and they are not much of an improvement over the recent Santa Rosa update of November.

I dont mind waiting until this summer even, Im just hoping for a new form factor and better graphics card, multitouch trackpad and higher res screen standard

dpaanlka
Jan 15, 2008, 01:24 PM
Every Mac ever made has some sort of internal speaker. I'm sure this does too.

sevimli
Jan 15, 2008, 01:25 PM
Higher end one w/ the 1.8 and 64gb SSD is $3098 :eek::eek::eek:

marclapierre13
Jan 15, 2008, 01:26 PM
No dedicated graphic chipset in MBA but I'm really don't care about MB or MBA, I only care about MBP.

I think that MBA isn't for games, it is really great for mobile and daily use, such as email, safari, watch downloaded video or so.

MBA's HDD use ATA, should call IDE? lol...

Also, no FireWire port too.

Funniest thing I ve read today. Its so true. For me, I would rather get the MB or MBP (which I have). I mean, its not like its all that much thinner. Who cares if its an half an inch or something. Its not worth $1k more. Get the MB and save a bunch of cash, or get the MBP and get more power for just a littler more.

Aries326
Jan 15, 2008, 01:27 PM
I, personally would not buy a MacBook air. I think it is perfect for that someone with extra cash who wants an extra computer sitting in the kitchen or living room or for their kids to have around the house or even school. I don't think anyone would use it as their primary machine.

It is the perfect network computer. Where will this succeed? Industrial campuses, Universities, medical offices with Electronic Medical Records. Although, at this price point, companies, schools, etc. would probably opt for probably much cheaper PCs like the Dell XPS M1330. I'll have to go check what our hospital is going to use when we go to EMR this spring. I've seen some of the attendings playing with new laptops and I'm pretty sure they are either Dells or Gateways.

5 hours battery life isn't bad - if it is really 5 hours. I've worked at offices where their laptops only lasted around 2 hours before needing a battery swap. Not very efficient. I think you need something that will at least get you through the morning then swap out to a new pack at lunch time.

MIDI_EVIL
Jan 15, 2008, 01:28 PM
It was actually a joke ... I was making fun of your earlier comment about it not including a speaker.
LAMO
:p:D
Just my weird sense of humor at work :)

Maybe you need a new job?

Laughing At My Off?

Jasonbot
Jan 15, 2008, 01:28 PM
It has a mono speaker built in.

mst be this:

*note the 2x little grills. 1x mic 1x speaker
http://images.apple.com/macbookair/images/design_displayair20080115.jpg

tiagocarraro
Jan 15, 2008, 01:29 PM
They should have released an 13 inch screen macbook pro!
In black and silver options, optical drive and so on, for the same 1800 dollars.
:)

theman
Jan 15, 2008, 01:35 PM
Apple Remote SOLD SEPARATELY?????

dpaanlka
Jan 15, 2008, 01:36 PM
You complainers are ridiculous. This is clearly a niche product. There is always the 13" MacBook and 15" and 17" MacBook Pros available.

They have pretty much covered every possible notebook market. What the hell else do you people want???

:eek: :eek: :eek:

For $1799 this is an absolute bargain compared to the competition.

tdhurst
Jan 15, 2008, 01:36 PM

-Same size screen
-Slower processor
-lack of optical drive
-about same battery life
-more expensive

Why is this even a post? All of these statements are pretty damn obvious.

shoulin333
Jan 15, 2008, 01:39 PM
Why is this even a post? All of these statements are pretty damn obvious.

Jeez, don't get upset lol....

just go pre-order it, heh

amac4me
Jan 15, 2008, 01:49 PM
This clearly is a product that the average consumer WILL NOT BUY. This is clearly directed at those who need a VERY portable system that doesn't weigh much.

It will most likely be purchased by business travelers and those who are on-the-go. Not powerful enough for professionals.

mac.attack9
Jan 15, 2008, 01:53 PM
You complainers are ridiculous. This is clearly a niche product. There is always the 13" MacBook and 15" and 17" MacBook Pros available.

They have pretty much covered every possible notebook market. What the hell else do you people want???

What competition??!? The upc market? This is a notebook with a 13 inch screen and 5 hours of battery life hardly a upc. If you upgrade the features the price becomes ridiculous. It has an integrated battery so not only can you not carry a spare (which you would need to because of the ****** battery life). Then theres the issue of durability but I think that there is enough flaws to forgo any more criticism.

Ill save 500 dollars and stick with my macbook.

ntrigue
Jan 15, 2008, 02:07 PM
It has SSD... for $3000!!!!

dpaanlka
Jan 15, 2008, 02:13 PM
What competition??!? The upc market?

Yes... you pay less, get lower battery life, but a larger screen, thinner package, better keyboard, more flexible optical options, gorgeous case, backlit keyboard, Mac OS X and iLife.

In other words, it's an absolute steal at $1799 compared to the competition.

Rotary8
Jan 15, 2008, 02:18 PM
phew, I don't feel too bad about getting my macbook last december. Mine is made of plastic, is a little thicker, I don't care for multitouch (a right mouse button would've been gold), I don't like staring at the computer screen in complete darkness so I don't really care about lit keyboards (i have a macbook pro and don't care for it. i turn it off to save battery life) The LED screen is nice but gotten used to washed out screen on my macbook.

The Mac Air would've been great if it started at $1000. I don't see why i would spend $1800 for a slower computer for my photoshop needs. I can see this being really good for hardcore hipsters who want to show it off at a local starbucks typing their unoriginal screenplay for everyone else to see. It's definitely a luxury to own one of these but not all that practical for artists or students.

subaqua
Jan 15, 2008, 02:19 PM
major dissapointment. impractical laptop.. at first i thought it was cool... but for that amount of money u could get a top of hte line macbook.

Hardly impractical. It's light, small, and perfect for a person who travels alot. If you need a laptop that's a full blown workstation, then get the 17" mbp :-)

This would be very nice the next time I'm trying to work behind the person who has their seat pushed all the way back in the airplane :-) If my job didn't provide me with a laptop, I'd get one of these in a heartbeat.

I agree though that many people don't see the benefit of an agile laptop and I also agree that they are expensive but with apple, rarely is anything low cost. (except the new mac pros seem to be a pretty good value...)

connectingrodd
Jan 15, 2008, 02:21 PM

This is a niche product that is lacking a niche

alphabetax85
Jan 15, 2008, 05:40 PM
Consider this :

No stereo Speakers
Only one USB 2.0
No ethernet port
No firewire port
A 80GB 4200 rpm ATA?? a joke .. no its insane .. n i thought SATA was old
No Optical Drive
No Firewire
Inbuilt - Unremovable Battery .. huh
No Microphone Jack
No Remote ( buy 1 for 19$ ) .. wats wrong with these guys
Super Drive ( External Drive ) for $99
USB Ethernet/Modem for 29/49$ -- they shud give these 4 free

All this comes with a price tag of $1799 .... just for coolness .. so be it
Only good thing is the multitouch trackpad ...... all else is crap 4 the cost

Its Still untested ... I WUD NEVER BUY IT -- no WAY

i missed an MacBookPro Update .. it sucks but ill still wait

Seriously Apple is losing the initiative ... it wants only one thing - making money ... huh 2 bad they want 20$ for the ipod touch software upgrade .. boooo .................wats goin on guys ... wake up steve

Andy-V
Jan 15, 2008, 06:10 PM
With Apple's products you pay for the great design and OS. My macbook here is excellent.

But this is too much, the specs for the price are shocking. The design is quite nice but for 100 uk, you can get a MacBook pro which is SO much better.

I take my MacBook to college everyday. Certainly wouldn't say it's such a chore that I need to downgrade my specs to get one which weighs less AND at the same time have to pay money to downgrade.

The cons heavily outway the pro (yes, just one pro).

jnc
Jan 15, 2008, 06:54 PM
They should have released an 13 inch screen macbook pro!
In black and silver options, optical drive and so on, for the same 1800 dollars.
:)

This is a niche product that is lacking a niche

I think they were trying "blue ocean" here. This is too much (costwise) for a regular MacBook user to consider, and too little (performance wise) for someone considering a MBP.

Those that care about weight/form won't care about price (MBA; $$$), those that care about power won't care about weight(MBP; 5.4 - 6.8 pounds), and those that care about price won't care about power (MB - still a good performer).

Or something. Basically, Apple are looking for the market with lots of money and no real performance needs. The people who will say "oh my that's thin, I'll take five!" they haven't already got wrapped around their finger.

cthomet
Jan 15, 2008, 07:39 PM

you read correctly. you do not have access to the battery. and the ram is soldered to the board. really cool! (pause) not!

as others have said, it is a very cool looking laptop, with minimum functionality for the majority.

pr5owner
Jan 15, 2008, 07:41 PM

actaully the people in this thread (complainers, etc) have a clear head, they know a total rip off when they see one even if they are a mac fan boy or an apple lover.

this MBA is just a complete joke, everyone will laugh at the ppl who dish out rediculous amounts of money for sub par garbage.

you read correctly. you do not have access to the battery. and the ram is soldered to the board. really cool! (pause) not!

as others have said, it is a very cool looking laptop, with minimum functionality for the majority.

minimum functionality? more like completly crippled, ONE USB PORT?,

i really never though apple could come a point where they would make a laptop without a removable battery, i can understand MP3 players, shivvered at the thought of a phone without a swappable battery, but a LAPTOP? not even microsoft does stuff like that. you think ms is trying to control everything? just open your eyes to apple.

TantalizedMind
Jan 15, 2008, 07:43 PM
Why not to buy a MBA?.... because it's Silver. Black FTW!!

pr5owner
Jan 15, 2008, 07:50 PM
This clearly is a product that the average consumer WILL NOT BUY. This is clearly directed at those who need a VERY portable system that doesn't weigh much.

It will most likely be purchased by business travelers and those who are on-the-go. Not powerful enough for professionals.

i dont understand, it aint very portable since the footprint is the same size as the regular MB, a 13" screen is a 13" screen, even if apple made it TWO DIMENTIONAL its still gonna take 13" diag of your space.

beside, professionals should have enough brain capacity to realise even this acer from 2 years ago beats it in funtionality and portability.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2898

it COMES with 2 batteries
it COMES with a DVDRW through firewire connection (you dont need to friggin buy an extra one)
it COMES with a card reader
it COMES with 3 USB Ports!
its only 3.3lbs!
it has a dual core 1.66GHz!!!!!!!! (this is 2 YEARS AGO!)
Bluetooth 2.0 EDR!
ABG WIFI!
Gigabit LAN!
MODEM! (dont use it but still, some ppl use dialup in hotels)

oh BTW when that acer first came out it was only $1500 because i bought it, but then returned it for a 15.4"gaming laptop.

rogersmj
Jan 15, 2008, 08:39 PM
I don't care for multitouch (a right mouse button would've been gold)

Yeah, because placing two fingers on the touchpad and clicking the button is so hard. God, why didn't those idiots add a whole 'nother button?? And yeah, adding functionality (multitouch) is so stupid, what were they thinking? :rolleyes:

I personally will never buy an Air, but the one feature from it I do want on my MBP is that trackpad. I would love to have pinch/expand/rotate gestures.

rhsgolfer33
Jan 15, 2008, 08:58 PM
Who really cares if it only has one USB port? They came out with this thing, a few years back, it's called a USB hub, they run about $30 and give you 4-6 more USB ports, and they only weight like 8 ounces. My MacBook doesn't have enough USB hubs (it has 2), so whether I have 1 or 2 USB ports really doesn't make much of a difference, I still need a USB hub.

libertyterran
Jan 15, 2008, 09:03 PM
In other words, it's an absolute steal at $1799 compared to the competition.
:( Are you serious? :( :( :( :( Please do some homework about "the competition" before putting out such a statement. Yes, the machine is thin, but that's all about it, the rest (incl. the pricey tag) is sub-par when comparing with "the competition"/PC counterparts.

rhsgolfer33
Jan 15, 2008, 09:05 PM
i really never though apple could come a point where they would make a laptop without a removable battery, i can understand MP3 players, shivvered at the thought of a phone without a swappable battery, but a LAPTOP? not even microsoft does stuff like that. you think ms is trying to control everything? just open your eyes to apple.

MS doesn't really make computer hardware...

It doesn't really bother me. I'm sure there is a way to replace it without sending it to Apple, it's wasn't too hard to replace on an iPod.

Gotta love MacRumors the day after a keynote, it's like the Apocalypse has descended on Apple fans for about a week and half of them can only complain about whatever new product is released.

PkennethV
Jan 15, 2008, 09:39 PM
*sigh* I really <want to> like the MacBook Air. Next gen maybe...it's a joke right now :(

meagain
Jan 15, 2008, 09:47 PM
What competition??!? The upc market? This is a notebook with a 13 inch screen and 5 hours of battery life hardly a upc. If you upgrade the features the price becomes ridiculous. It has an integrated battery so not only can you not carry a spare (which you would need to because of the ****** battery life). Then theres the issue of durability but I think that there is enough flaws to forgo any more criticism.

Ill save 500 dollars and stick with my macbook.

So you are obviously not aware of the price of the competition nor are you aware of the price of a 64 ssd. OK

meagain
Jan 15, 2008, 09:48 PM
:( Are you serious? :( :( :( :( Please do some homework about "the competition" before putting out such a statement. Yes, the machine is thin, but that's all about it, the rest (incl. the pricey tag) is sub-par when comparing with "the competition"/PC counterparts.

Like which specific models?

PkennethV
Jan 15, 2008, 09:55 PM
here's another thing that really bugs me.

I don't like how Apple is compromising on so much just to they can have the tittle of "World's thinnest laptop." I mean ok...there are some people that complain that the MacBook is too big, but almost no one that say the 12" PB is. and have you *ever* seen anyone say the Sony TZ was too big/thick for them to carry? SO WHAT if it's as thick as the TZ if that means having 160gb harddrive and an optical drive! If it ran OS X, I would pick the TZ over the the MBA any day (and I'm saying this as a Mac user all my life).

maceleven
Jan 15, 2008, 09:58 PM
:cool: unless your rich then its a tight computer lol

HenMaster6000
Jan 15, 2008, 10:03 PM
i've said this before, but without a firewire port, you can't really do imovie. up until now, apple predicated their marketing strategy on mac os x and ilife.

the whole device is silly.

izzysanime
Jan 15, 2008, 10:25 PM
I really like the thinness and I want it so much. but, there are a few issues, I was hoping for some kind of external media, like maybe slots for those super tiny microSD card slots if they cant put a optical drive. I suppose i could buy an external dvd burner for it. The thin super drive that apple will sell to you only works for the macbook air. I don't want to buy something that would only work with one computer.

I wish there was a firewire and ethernet port, gigabit ethernet. O well

I was also hoping that the display would be a touch screen, guess not.

ddavid
Jan 15, 2008, 10:27 PM
i've said this before, but without a firewire port, you can't really do imovie. up until now, apple predicated their marketing strategy on mac os x and ilife.

the whole device is silly.
They could've done a mini firewire port without too much problem.Unfortunately, I don't think the MBA could take the heat of processor intense video editing. Does it have an internal fan?

chewietobbacca
Jan 15, 2008, 10:31 PM
This really is a niche product with no niche. Who is going to buy it besides people who must absolutely have the newest latest trendy tech equipment with the money to spend?

Business people who need a portable computer? First of all, people who work for big companies often use Exchange servers and so on, so Mac's are out. Besides, they have a smart phone for email if they need a portable device. Let's not even talk about battery life....

Students? Well with that kind of a price and limited HD space, that'll be rough. Oh yeah, no speakers too, so be prepared to bring your own speakers if you want more than yourself to listen to music.

Gamers? Not even considering it.

They claim this will be portable, but to use more than one USB device you need to bring along a USB hub. To connect to a Ethernet connection, bring a USB -> Ethernet adapter. Uh oh, need to play any DVD's? Well, unless you've put them on the computer (limited HD space though will limit your selection), you bring along an external disc drive.

Very portable now that you think about it? Nah.

Let's not even get started with the fact that the footprint is the same size as the MB. Great, i can now put 3 of them in a bag where a previous PC notebook was. But it still won't fit in that bag that can fit a notebook with a 11" screen or smaller!

I'm guessing Intel got paid a lot lot lot of money to make this platform (the price point would suggest so)...

greenmeanie
Jan 15, 2008, 10:40 PM
Don't worry about battery life.
A new Mac Rumor has the new I-Battery due out in spring. It hangs out the back right next to the USB dongle you have to use because it only has 1 USB.

Farther down the road due out is the I-Octopus that will have a all in one option :)

tdhurst
Jan 15, 2008, 11:39 PM
USB Ethernet/Modem for 29/49$ -- they shud give these 4 free

All this comes with a price tag of $1799 .... just for coolness .. so be it
Only good thing is the multitouch trackpad ...... all else is crap 4 the cost

Its Still untested ... I WUD NEVER BUY IT -- no WAY

i missed an MacBookPro Update .. it sucks but ill still wait

Seriously Apple is losing the initiative ... it wants only one thing - making money ... huh 2 bad they want 20$ for the ipod touch software upgrade .. boooo .................wats goin on guys ... wake up steve

Man your grammar and spelling are terrible. I'd be embarrassed to be your teacher or parent.

Anyway, WHAT'S WRONG WITH MAKING MONEY? All companies need to make money.

So the MacBook Air is new...it certainly has its niche. It's perfect for travelers who already have a decent desktop.

Prometheus101
Jan 16, 2008, 06:40 AM
To me it seems that there is alot of fighting going on here based on personal oppinions.

I go to school everyday and I use MS Word, Safari, etc...

I also on occation use imovie and Final Cut Pro.

All of this on a G4 PowerBook. I dont care what you tell me the MBA is much faster than the PB.

I dont have a problem with the speed of my PB because I encode on a desktop. (My PB is screwed though so i need an upgrade) so upgrading to the MBA would achieve better results than i curently have no problem with, inside a much more portable laptop.

The way I see it the only major dissadvantage for me of the MBA is the lack of firewire, but i can just import form video cameras on my desktop onto a usb powerd external hdd.

I think for me its a great sollution.

I am open to being convinced otherwise so please tell me what i couldnt do that i can now.

Cheers, from Down Under:D:D (no iPhone grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad::mad:)

nuclearwinter
Jan 17, 2008, 08:21 PM

-Same size screen
-Slower processor
-lack of optical drive
-about same battery life
-more expensive

Screw what i said before... i fell in love .. even bought the 3k model :( ohh wife is gunna hate me lol

Funniest. Post. Ever. :)

FanOfMac
Jan 17, 2008, 08:39 PM
Oh, yeah! I know! Because I have a new 3rd generation MacBook that just works great!

Not sure I'm really ready to give up the internal optical drive. Besides, my MacBook is "air" enough for me.

jnc
Jan 17, 2008, 08:40 PM
it's probably an ipod/iphone all over again... send it back to apple for a moderately priced replacement

$129, but no charge for the actual replacement. Which makes me think - MBAs will be covered for a year under warranty, a period of which a replacement would be exceptional... when would someone legitimately need to actually buy one of these? Not for at least 12 months!

Funniest. Post. Ever. :)

48 hours later I have really warmed to the MacBook Air too :) If I hadn't just bought this Mac Pro...

(the realistic end to that sentence is "...I'd still be using my MacBook until a new MacBook Pro came out ;))

thinkband
Jan 17, 2008, 09:58 PM
It is alright. Not my market.

Price drop I am guessing so this Laptop doesn't flop like the Iphone could have at its price tag.

Too many people think it is the worse thing invented in the world or the best thing since sliced bread. People should either see it as 'okay' or 'a step in the future of laptops.' Eventually, this laptop will be as powerful as a macbook pro and this small of size giving it time.

For me, I do not care that much about the size and the other apple notebooks are a good size already ;)

superleccy
Jan 17, 2008, 10:00 PM
...because I have a special supply of really big manilla envelopes that I can put my 15" MBP in.

dpaanlka
Jan 18, 2008, 02:08 AM

Hahah!

I love it too!

Catch
Jan 18, 2008, 06:05 AM

You listen to music through laptop speakers?

Carry on... :eek:

C

Catch
Jan 18, 2008, 06:18 AM
It amazes me to see so many (educated?) people on these forums missing the point of the MBA. Its incredible. We have comments ranging from missing a FW port (understandable and I agree thats a shame) to even wanting gaming graphics cards.

People, they had to have a specially designed processor to build this thing this size. You cannot have this amount of portability AND top end power to cut HDM and play whatever game is the most "in" right now. I mean come on!

Furthermore, I have to say I am stunned to see people relegating this machine to toy status and Paris Hilton accessory, simply because it does not fit their needs.

Does someone here think Steve Jobs needs video editing on the go? Do you think he may need Excel and Word, communications and presentation options on the go?

So if Steve Jobs chooses to use this machine he is a hobbyist and not a business person? Everyone that buys this machine does so as a fashion accessory?

My absolute favourite so far, "Its just an iPhone"! People that make those statements must either be unemployed, on summer holiday or living in a dream world.

The machine is absolutely perfect for what it was designed for.

Is it a made to measure computer for everyone? No its not.

Does it fit into the current laptop offerings from Apple? Yes it does.

Regards,

C

iAmLegend
Jan 18, 2008, 07:02 AM

Giving trend whores a shiny new conversation piece? I agree.

Catch
Jan 18, 2008, 07:15 AM
Giving trend whores a shiny new conversation piece? I agree.

How about increasing the company TO by 20% by shrewd financial modeling/planning and developing strategies for expansion and profit maximization, while on an intercontinental flight, instead of wasting precious time playing video games?

But hey if you think I look cool while I am sitting next to you why not!

C

netdog
Jan 18, 2008, 07:16 AM
mst be this:

*note the 2x little grills. 1x mic 1x speaker
http://images.apple.com/macbookair/images/design_displayair20080115.jpg

I think that is both speakers on the bezel, and the mic would be the slit on the front right of the base.

I also think that the MacBook Air is really great exactly as it is.

Macmanus
Jan 18, 2008, 07:22 AM
Just my 2 cts here.

Apple is a design company, not a computer company. They make beautiful objects. Thats's the main point a lot of people seem to forget here. Vista is a good system, that actually works. No need to go to Leopard.

If I want an ultra-portable for my job, I won't buy Apple. It's a complete ripoff. I was waiting for an ultra-portable Penryn based computer. I get a Core 2 Duo processor specially made for Apple, which is really overpriced. Apple is cheating.

If I want a beautiful computer to make my friends cream their panties at Starbucks, I'll go for it, no problem. That's the most beautiful computer I have ever seen.

One thing I like here is the remote system. Kicks ass. If only we could watch movies using other computer optical drives. From what I gather, you can only download software.

Cybergypsy
Jan 18, 2008, 07:22 AM
It amazes me to see so many (educated?) people on these forums missing the point of the MBA. Its incredible. We have comments ranging from missing a FW port (understandable and I agree thats a shame) to even wanting gaming graphics cards.

People, they had to have a specially designed processor to build this thing this size. You cannot have this amount of portability AND top end power to cut HDM and play whatever game is the most "in" right now. I mean come on!

Furthermore, I have to say I am stunned to see people relegating this machine to toy status and Paris Hilton accessory, simply because it does not fit their needs.

Does someone here think Steve Jobs needs video editing on the go? Do you think he may need Excel and Word, communications and presentation options on the go?

So if Steve Jobs chooses to use this machine he is a hobbyist and not a business person? Everyone that buys this machine does so as a fashion accessory?

My absolute favourite so far, "Its just an iPhone"! People that make those statements must either be unemployed, on summer holiday or living in a dream world.

Is it a made to measure computer for everyone? No its not.

Does it fit into the current laptop offerings from Apple? Yes it does.

Regards,

C

Very well said, Its perfect and will fill my every need!

NickFalk
Jan 18, 2008, 07:41 AM
I also on occation use imovie and Final Cut Pro.
The way I see it the only major dissadvantage for me of the MBA is the lack of firewire, but i can just import form video cameras on my desktop onto a usb powerd external hdd.
G'day mate!
Well I love the Macbook Air but wouldn't buy one as it is virtually unusable for video-editing at all. Even by following your scheme you're either stuck with storing the video-files on the too slow eternal HD or on the external USB one that will have problems streaming the data quick enough...

jnc
Jan 18, 2008, 10:27 AM
One thing I like here is the remote system. Kicks ass. If only we could watch movies using other computer optical drives. From what I gather, you can only download software.

Oh, lame if true. I thought it was a complete solution - as if the MBA was using that exact drive (listen to music, burn discs, play games etc)

macenforcer
Jan 18, 2008, 10:48 AM
Top 10 Reasons to buy the Macbook Air

1. You can shave with it in the morning.
2. Better than a credit card when picking locks.
3. It cuts meat.
4. Can be used as a bookmark.
5. Thrown just right it can take the heads off of your enemies!
6. There is nothing in it, so less to break.
7. The hard drive is so small that if you loose it or it gets stolen you won't loose much data.
8. Its the only new looking laptop from apple in 6yrs.
9. Being so slow it will make you appreciate your mac pro's speed even more.
10. People will think you are COOL!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Catch
Jan 18, 2008, 10:54 AM
Top 10 Reasons to buy the Macbook Air

1. You can shave with it in the morning.
2. Better than a credit card when picking locks.
3. It cuts meat.
4. Can be used as a bookmark.
5. Thrown just right it can take the heads off of your enemies!
6. There is nothing in it, so less to break.
7. The hard drive is so small that if you loose it or it gets stolen you won't loose much data.
8. Its the only new looking laptop from apple in 6yrs.
9. Being so slow it will make you appreciate your mac pro's speed even more.
10. People will think you are COOL!

Great post! You do realize its the quality of the data and not the quantity that counts right?

C