PDA

View Full Version : Only for Rent? Not for PURCHASE?

jason2811
Jan 15, 2008, 12:55 PM
The new movies released by Fox, Sony, etc. can only be rented? Is there no way to purchase these movies to add to my personal collection forever? If so, that really sucks.

SamIchi
Jan 15, 2008, 12:56 PM
The new movies released by Fox, Sony, etc. can only be rented? Is there no way to purchase these movies to add to my personal collection forever? If so, that really sucks.

There was no word of it, but I think they should give you the option to buy it after the rental for a discounted price since you already rented it.

jason2811
Jan 15, 2008, 07:23 PM
anyone know for sure?

aaquib
Jan 15, 2008, 07:24 PM
Purely from what I picked up from the keynote, the studios announced today are on board purely renting content.

soup4you2
Jan 15, 2008, 07:27 PM
anyone know for sure?

i would like to know this as well. watching the keynote the appletv screen does not show a purchase button.

however when he was in itunes i believe i saw 2 grey buttons. 1 rent 1 buy. well thats what i hope. it could turn out to be 1 normal and 1 HD.

but if they do keep purchases and they have HD rentals why not have HD purchases?

if they end up getting rid of purchasing movies, well they would loose my $$ since i get my rentals from netflix.

jason2811
Jan 16, 2008, 01:24 AM
does anyone have a definite answer?

Jan 16, 2008, 11:01 AM
Couple of things...

I've noticed that some of the older releases already out are available now for rent and/or purchase. The newer releases I would imagine the same will happen, but not necessarily with all of them.

That being said, though, Fox is a good example of a different kind of paradigm. They may be renting stuff through iTunes and then selling it on DVD... but the DVD's moving forward will contain an H.264 protected copy that iTunes can download into its library and share on all your authorized Apple gear.

I'm sure it'll be a mix of things for a while as this paradigm grows in popularity. Internet rentals need to show some good sales in order to convince the industry this is where they can make money and where they should go.

The way I dealt with that when I moved away from CD's was this... If it wasn't on iTunes, I wasn't buying it and I wasn't downloading it illegally either. I would totally boycott any title or artist who didn't get with the times, and wait to purchase their material until they did.

I stood by that conviction because I'd been preaching internet music distribution since I wrote about it in a research paper in 1996 for a college class.

I'm not saying everyone needs to go to the same lengths as I did, but the industry will go where the money goes... so whatever the mix of consumer behaviors yields in the near future will dictate what space the studios need to play in, just as the movement of people to smartphones with music players dictated for Apple as early as 2003 what space they needed to be in, resulting in iPhone.

Guys... it's a brave new world but it's going to have some hiccups and birthing pains because of all the moving pieces involved. I bought AppleTV on opening day because I believe in this technology even if no one else does... and now that conviction is starting to pay off.

In five years time, I don't want to be shelling out $90 a month for 900 channels of crap just to get the 12 channels of HD programming I want. I don't want to be waiting two days for Netflix when I want to make decisions on the fly. And I don't want to be fiddling with optical disks when there's an entire internet over which to stream data... the same internet that rendered the floppy obsolete because everyone just e-mails documents now.

Who's with me?

twoodcc
Jan 16, 2008, 11:28 AM
i would like to know the answer to this as well

GoCubsGo
Jan 16, 2008, 12:07 PM
I think if I rent a movie (HD) for $5 then I should be able to buy for $10 more if it is within the first week of the release and $15 thereafter. I understand HD DVDs aren't really all $20, but this is digital content and should be slightly discounted over the physical DVDs that I could otherwise get if I were to buy from a B&M shop.

notjustjay
Jan 16, 2008, 12:39 PM
Well, I may be the lone voice here, but it wouldn't bother me if the studios were on board for renting only. I could see myself renting lots of movies that I'd probably only watch once. If I wanted to keep it, though, I'd go to the store and buy the disc.

A buy option would only make sense to me in the context of paying the difference after a rental, e.g. "you've already rented this for $5, for another $5 you can keep it". Even then, I'd want the total price to be severely less than the cost of buying it on DVD before I'd consider it.

thegeist
Jan 16, 2008, 12:42 PM
There was no word of it, but I think they should give you the option to buy it after the rental for a discounted price since you already rented it.

Exactly what I was saying. This seems like the easiest selling point. Why not benefit from partial view. It's win win.