Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricecook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
so whats you like about the new MACBOOK AIR?

i like thats is thin and keypad light up have the touch features like ipod touch/iphone

desing is i like but really felling it..

dont like..
black keyborad with the silver aluminum dont match for my taste should of been one solid color..
only comes in one color..

well thats it for now..

Billy Bob

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2007

i like thats is thin and keypad light up have the touch features like ipod touch/iphone

dont like..
black keyborad with the silver aluminum dont match for my taste should of been one solid color..

well thats it for now..

I've already mentioned this in other thread but what the hell I'll say it again

1. horrible macbook style keyboard
2. high price tag
3. lack of processing power
4. dent prone aluminum
5. no speakers
6. poor battery life

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
Well - here's my problem with it.

I take my MB everywhere in a carry case, and it's power supply with it.

The PSU is basically a tiny bit thicker than the MB - and the UK plug is even thicker - so it's the UK plug that's the lowest common denominator, and as a result, an MB is about as thin as I could care about.

That this thing is even thinner is basically, a waste of time. Given that it's slower, with less storage than an MB - it just doesn't make any sense as a purchase as far as I'm concerned.

A beautiful thing, great achievement, lovely design - but it's getting to the point of that tongue-in-cheek iPod flea, when the earbuds were massive compared to the iPod itself.

Doug

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
like:

size/weight
thinness
led-backlight
respectable cpu speeds
aluminum instead of plastic
ssd option
long battery life (especially with SSD)

dislike:

too much moola
rounded edges remind me too much of the g5 ibook which i loathe
can't upgrade ram or bto more
ssd bto option is the same cost as a macbook
base hdd is slow as thick mud (saying it is the same as the ipod hdd was a bad move!)
first mac in almost a decade without a FW port, which i really must have for now
flip-down ports are gimpy and will break on people, leaving them in "wireless or bust" land

alfogator

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2005
Florence, Italy
For me it's just about perfect. I have been using Sony vaio subnotebook series for the past years and this design is very appealing. No optical drive is a minor minus but the larger display (13.3" vs 11.1") is a major plus. Everything else is about on par.
Price is very competitive also. You can get the vaio TZ2 for 1999 or 2999 euro, the macbook air comes in two configurations and costs slightly less in both, but you don't get the SSD in the vaio top configuration which you have to pay extra.
The only thing I'd like to check out better is battery life, because sony have impressive autonomy. 5 hours would be nothing exceptional even if it were true, I hope it doesn't turn out to be much less in real usage.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
The battery life is rather low, but it's a great ultra portable.

I think they pulled it off.

I am not and will never be in the market for an ultra portable like this, so it's not because I'm kidding myself into buying one, I genuinely think they came up with the goods.

The future MacBook/MacBook Pros will most definitely incorporate LED, back-li keyboard and the new multi-touch trackpad. This is all good news as we have some idea of what is to come.

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
I've already mentioned this in other thread but what the hell I'll say it again

1. horrible macbook style keyboard
2. high price tag
3. lack of processing power
4. dent prone aluminum
5. no speakers
6. poor battery life

NO SPEAKERS? you are joking!? oh dear lol!

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
If I needed a small Mac, then I'd jump on this. However, I don't really need its benefits. I'm more thinking of gettting a cheap Apple TV and doing an OS X convert on it.

Lock

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Canada
NO SPEAKERS? you are joking!? oh dear lol!

It has a mono speaker, which is still a joke. I can understand the lack of firewire and ethernet to an extent, but I can't believe that they couldn't get another speaker in there.

In terms of likes, the only thing that's nice about the Air is the multitouch pad. Other than that I'm not really moved by it.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005

dont like..

well thats it for now..

The keyboard is ugly, it looks like the old powerbooks and apple keyboards. Not very new and exciting.

The main thing I hate is the PRICE. I mean C'MON! For something like this, it should be CHEAPER than the MB, to appeal to just the daily email checkers, and what not. Not way more expensive. I would consider the MB before I would get this. If it was $200 cheaper than the MB, I would consider getting it as my daily portable laptop, but at this price, I could almost get another MBP!

stuff99

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
thumbs down for me...it seems overpriced, underpowered and no optical drive...you gotta stream wirelessly to your desktop to install stuff?

whats with that.

billmister

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
Like:
-comes with leopard
-illuminated keys
-pull out door for USB connection
-2 gig standard ram

Don't like:
-it's TOO thin now. i think they've taken the whole thing to another level.
-80GB HD?!?! So if i use it like my imac, i'd be at 50% storage full already.
-only 1 usb
-if you want to use a cd or dvd you need another computer?!?!?!!?!?!?
-OPTIONAL 64 gig???????
-optional $3,000+ PRICE TAG?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
WTF??? that makes the Macbook PRO look cheap

....At work so that's all i can think of right now.

Ryox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
UK
Loving the thin profile and the track pad
Dont really like everything else

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Dislikes:

Only one USB port.
Optical drive $99 extra
Slow 1.8" HD (SSD too expensive to even consider).

Pretty much everything else.

I can't see me buying one at this point as I already have a 17" MBP, but next time I might be tempted to buy one of these plus an iMac rather than try to do everything in a single machine.

byeehaaw

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
New York, NY
100 dollar optical drive... dang
macbook air is really expensive too. if i had that money id just buy a macbook or macbook pro. macbook air is nice and all but i think its impractical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.