PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL I LIKE the MacBook Air Thread. Haters stay away!

Sean Dempsey
Jan 15, 2008, 01:07 PM
I think the Air is a great addition to the Mac lineup. Let me explain:

My family is pretty involved in land development and real estate. Aunts, uncles, cousins...

None of them are techy savvy. None of them care about specs or "I can SSH into my website from my watch!". They check email with "their outlook" and need help unzipping files.

And you know now? At least 5 of them have the ultra-slim Sony Vaio and the LOVE it. They also all make over 100k a year, at the very LEAST.

The Air is the perfect chance now for the non-tech savvy people to get the Mac. Mostly business owners and professionals whose companies don't rely on major IT support. Hell, most of these relatives of mine work with just the Vaio's and no other computers at all.

The ultra-thin portable market has been domianted by Sony, and now all these people forced to buy the Vaio's have an even better option with the Apple. I can see the Air becoming very popular with the people who don't care about "geek" things and just want what this delivers: no fuss ultra slim, lite, portability.

I love it.

heatmiser
Jan 15, 2008, 01:08 PM
I like how you don't have to worry about replacing the battery yourself.

Dimwhit
Jan 15, 2008, 01:10 PM
I think it's a great computer for its purpose. I could definitely get some great use out of it. Can't come close to affording it, but I could definitely put one to good use.

Sean Dempsey
Jan 15, 2008, 01:10 PM

I said no haters.

heatmiser
Jan 15, 2008, 01:12 PM
I said no haters.

Okay, serious post. I do think it's an attractive computer, and I'd love to see one in person. I can bet a few students will start showing them off by spring.

Josheua
Jan 15, 2008, 01:12 PM
I think the design hails back to the clamshell ibook back in the day. Very good design, very original looks and as powerful as you run-of the mill PC with all the features of a macbook. The backlit keyboard (I believe) will soon find it's way onto the macbook pro and I think the optical drive software is really original.

+1 Apple. Thanks for creating an original, relatively powerful, portable.

-Josh :apple:

dukebound85
Jan 15, 2008, 01:16 PM
Okay, serious post. I do think it's an attractive computer, and I'd love to see one in person. I can bet a few students will start showing them off by spring.

i doubt it as why would a student buy a computer with no optical drive and only one usb port. unless uber wealthy and just wanted to have a second computer in addition to a real one to get work done on that isnt all wireless lol

i agree on user friendly part. osx is osx is it not? all the air is just a thinner crippled version of the mb. it has the same screen size for goodness sakes. make the screen 10 inches or so and ill call it an ultraportable.

Josheua
Jan 15, 2008, 01:16 PM
Nope. Look at your every day windows PC you can pick up at Best Buy and Such for 1 grand. It has a 1.6 to 1.8 ghz processor with 1 to 2 gigs of ram and a 100 gig hard drive. It also ways 4 pounds, is an inch and a half thick, and runs as loud as 65 mustang. Now Apple took those specs and crammed it into an ultra thin frame with long battery life and great features. This is a good system. Not my personal preference (as I need the power given by the Pro) but a great portable computer with good features.

heatmiser
Jan 15, 2008, 01:18 PM
i doubt it as why would a student buuy a computer with no optical drive and only one usb port.

There are always folks with more money than management--even among students! I'll keep my eyes open. :D

eluk
Waiting for an option to the black keyboard.

sikkinixx
Looks really cool, the black keyboard is a bit fugly but the multi-touch pad is sweet. The wireless CD thing is really interesting and I hope other companies take advantage of this (my Eee PC could use it :p) 5 hour stated battery life would be awesome, my MBP doesn't get near that *sigh*

Still though... $1900 base model price? (here in Canada) It's only a few pounds less than a macbook and is much less powered/filled with useful ports... makes my $350 Eee PC look even more like the bargain that it is.

(the 64GB SSD is $1300! ouchies)

Edd.Dantes
Jan 15, 2008, 01:19 PM
YOU would like it :rolleyes:

Oops, where's the official hate thread ?

Billy Bob
Jan 15, 2008, 01:20 PM
Looks really cool, the black keyboard is a bit fugly but the multi-touch pad is sweet. The wireless CD thing is really interesting and I hope other companies take advantage of this (my Eee PC could use it :p) 5 hour stated battery life would be awesome, my MBP doesn't get near that *sigh*

Still though... $1900 base model price? (here in Canada) It's only a few pounds less than a macbook and is much less powered/filled with useful ports... makes my $350 Eee PC look even more like the bargain that it is.

(the 64GB SSD is $1300! ouchies)

haha you believe the 5 hour battery life? that's over optimistic to say the least. Hell apple say that my macbook should get 6 hours:D it has never even got anywhere near that...less than half of that usually.

heatmiser
Jan 15, 2008, 01:21 PM
haha you believe the 5 hour battery life? that's over optimistic to say the least. Hell apple say that my macbook should get 6 hours:D it has never even got anywhere near that...less than half of that usually.

I'm wondering how many people are going to keep falling for Apple's misleading battery estimates. None of their current computers manage more than 3.5h life for the average user despite claims of "up to 6h". Yet people are willing to drink the kool-aid *again* with an "up to 5h" estimate? Amazing! :D

Billy Bob
Jan 15, 2008, 01:24 PM
I'm wondering how many people are going to keep falling for Apple's misleading battery estimates. None of their current computers manage more than 3.5h life for the average user despite claims of "up to 6h". Yet people are willing to drink the kool-aid *again* with an "up to 5h" estimate? Amazing! :D

people never learn it seems

Josheua
Jan 15, 2008, 01:26 PM

Funny, I get 4.5 out of my macbook pro (santa rosa) taking notes in class, using wifi, with the screen at half brightness. Hmmm, guess I just have a special one :rolleyes:

island
Jan 15, 2008, 01:26 PM
I think it's perfect for what I need.

Don't let all the haters fool you as most of them just purchased or received Mac laptops in the past 6 months and now hate themselves for it.

FLAME ON!

:D :D :D

dukebound85
Jan 15, 2008, 01:28 PM

Don't let all the haters fool you as most of them just purchased or received Mac laptops in the past 6 months and now hate themselves for it.

FLAME ON!

lol riiight

i would never buy this thing

RedBarchetta
Jan 15, 2008, 01:30 PM
I can see it work, per say for someone who is in some sort of business and a frequent flier. If you just want something thin and easy to carry around and need to look over an email or two or a powerpoint or something while on the plane or in a cab on the way to work. Why wouldn't it work?

That being said, other Apple laptops seem like they would do fine as well but I wouldn't count this one out just yet.

marclapierre13
Jan 15, 2008, 01:34 PM
I think the Air is a great addition to the Mac lineup. Let me explain:

My family is pretty involved in land development and real estate. Aunts, uncles, cousins...

None of them are techy savvy. None of them care about specs or "I can SSH into my website from my watch!". They check email with "their outlook" and need help unzipping files.

And you know now? At least 5 of them have the ultra-slim Sony Vaio and the LOVE it. They also all make over 100k a year, at the very LEAST.

The Air is the perfect chance now for the non-tech savvy people to get the Mac. Mostly business owners and professionals whose companies don't rely on major IT support. Hell, most of these relatives of mine work with just the Vaio's and no other computers at all.

The ultra-thin portable market has been domianted by Sony, and now all these people forced to buy the Vaio's have an even better option with the Apple. I can see the Air becoming very popular with the people who don't care about "geek" things and just want what this delivers: no fuss ultra slim, lite, portability.

I love it.

I agree for you that this is the perfect laptop for just the internet browser and email checker users. But the PRICE makes it so that it DOESNT appeal to them. For this to be a success, I think it should be priced about 25% lower. It should be the model before the MB.

sikkinixx
Jan 15, 2008, 01:38 PM

dude you're being a jerk around here, oh wait, thats why you get time out.

I said "stated" battery life. I know it's less real-life but with screen dimed, BT off, etc. it will probably get somewhere close. Either way it wouldn't be too bad.

heatmiser
Jan 15, 2008, 01:40 PM
I'd be curious to see the real-life differences between the regular drive and the SSD, once people start using these.

gloss
Jan 15, 2008, 01:40 PM
I feel like it would be a brilliant machine for about 99% of what I do on my laptop. Unfortunately, current specs mean that it just isn't enough of an upgrade (indeed, none at all) performance-wise to justify moving from a Rev A Macbook, except in the pursuit of pure sexiness.

In a year or two, when the specs are right, it will be a really, really tempting bit of kit. For the moment, it's a beautiful, lightweight, ridiculously elegant machine for those lucky enough to have a use for it. Can't wait to play with one.

kevinbal
Jan 15, 2008, 01:47 PM
The Macbook Air is an excellent entry into the growing demand for "more"-portable laptops. I'm going to hold off on calling it "ultra"-portable, since I don't think you can consider a 13.3" screen "ultra".

For anyone who was expecting a machine this big, and this powerful, to be anything less than the price point was absolutely insane. Clearly they haven't bothered to check the competing prices on "ultra"-portables. Same with the battery life; the screen, 802.11n, the processors, and the standard hard drive all draw too much power to be much more than that... and I'm assuming its probably a 4400mhA or 5400mhA battery (I haven't checked the specs on it yet.)

The new innovations to the wireless CD thing is great, that is actually a lot better than having the "dock" system that was floating around prior to Macworld.

Multi-touch trackpad? Damn, that's wonderful. I almost wonder if with a software/firmware update, our current trackpads can do something similar.... I mean if they pick up the two finger scrolling and pressure points for clicking....

Overall though, great product as a first entry into this new (and growing) niche of laptop users. I would have loved to see a sub 10" version come in under a grand, but oh well.. I might give the Asus Eee PC a shot (or just wait for something else to come into being over the next few months.) Kudos to the Macbook Air.

As an aside, notice how the rounding off looks striking similar to a Nano in laptop form? I'm willing to bet that it was first going to be called the Macbook Nano and the Air was a late change.

marclapierre13
Jan 15, 2008, 01:47 PM
I feel like it would be a brilliant machine for about 99% of what I do on my laptop. Unfortunately, current specs mean that it just isn't enough of an upgrade (indeed, none at all) performance-wise to justify moving from a Rev A Macbook, except in the pursuit of pure sexiness.

In a year or two, when the specs are right, it will be a really, really tempting bit of kit. For the moment, it's a beautiful, lightweight, ridiculously elegant machine for those lucky enough to have a use for it. Can't wait to play with one.

That, and a huge price reduction.

gloss
Jan 15, 2008, 01:53 PM
That, and a huge price reduction.

Sorry, but this is a perfectly good price point for a 3 pound laptop with these hardware specs. Go take a look at a VAIO TZ and get back to me.

netdog
Jan 15, 2008, 01:58 PM
Compare it to the small Sony. The price is fine.

connectingrodd
Jan 15, 2008, 02:02 PM

I couldn't care less about how elegant it is or isn't, when I buy a computer I want it to be extremely functional... I don't give two ***** about how elegant it is

connectingrodd
Jan 15, 2008, 02:03 PM

FLAME ON!

ok buddy you go waste a ton of money on a sub standard notebook and let me know how that goes for you

Badandy
Jan 15, 2008, 02:06 PM
ok buddy you go waste a ton of money on a sub standard notebook and let me know how that goes for you

Oh hey, good use of "buddy". You were referring to him as a kind of chump that you somehow know, good one, that's why it's sarcastic.

Why don't you go back to school, I mean, isn't your lunch period almost over?

For those of us who want a laptop that is very easy to carry and looks professional, this is a great laptop. Last I remembered, not everyone does heavy video editing on their laptops. I could be wrong though.

gloss
Jan 15, 2008, 02:08 PM
I couldn't care less about how elegant it is or isn't, when I buy a computer I want it to be extremely functional... I don't give two ***** about how elegant it is

Well then congratulations, you're not the target market.

Why does every self-centered douche on this board expect every single product Apple offers to appeal to them? Good God, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Let those of us to whom aesthetics matter enjoy a new, beautifully designed product.

Dimwhit
Jan 15, 2008, 02:09 PM

Then you're on the wrong platform.

island
Jan 15, 2008, 02:10 PM

I forgot to add in the haters category "people who can't afford it" too, sorry about that!

:cool:

connectingrodd
Jan 15, 2008, 02:10 PM
I forgot to add in the haters category "people who can't afford it" too, sorry about that!

:cool:

Oh I can afford it but I haven't gotten successful from pissing money away

connectingrodd
Jan 15, 2008, 02:11 PM
Then you're on the wrong platform.

Yes I'm starting to think that

gloss
Jan 15, 2008, 02:12 PM

You're one of those guys who drives a Ford F-350 and doesn't understand the appeal of a Porsche, amirite?

Badandy
Jan 15, 2008, 02:13 PM

Then leave. I'm sure my Apple stock won't take a hit because some whiny-mouthed teenager on a forum doesn't buy a laptop every couple years.

EDIT to Gloss: Great post.
EDIT 2: Typo

connectingrodd
Jan 15, 2008, 02:14 PM
Oh hey, good use of "buddy". You were referring to him as a kind of chump that you somehow know, good one, that's why it's sarcastic.

Why don't you go back to school, I mean, isn't your lunch period almost over?

I'll ignore your sad attempt at being witty

For those of us who want a laptop that is very easy to carry and looks professional, this is a great laptop. Last I remembered, not everyone does heavy video editing on their laptops. I could be wrong though.

Looks professional? I don't need a professional looking lap top to appear professional. I would hands down take a well built and durable lap top over one that looks sexy and professional any day. I think it's pretty sad that people actually would buy a computer or anything else primarily based on how it looks

connectingrodd
Jan 15, 2008, 02:15 PM
Then leave. I'm sure my Apple stock won't take a hit because some whiny-mouthed teenager on a forum doesn't by a laptop every couple years.

EDIT to Gloss: Great post.

and you probably think that you're a skilled investor too don't you? :D

oh and btw I'm 28

Bogie
Jan 15, 2008, 02:15 PM
This is my ideal writers laptop. Unfortunately at present it's out of my price range. I'll keep saving though. I expect by the time the Rev B is announced I'll be ready to pull the trigger on one. I want the solid state model.

Badandy
Jan 15, 2008, 02:20 PM
Looks professional? I don't need a professional looking lap top to appear professional. I would hands down take a well built and durable lap top over one that looks sexy and professional any day. I think it's pretty sad that people actually would buy a computer or anything else primarily based on how it looks

YOU ARE ON THE WRONG PLATFORM. And the caps isn't on because I'm mad, it's on so you can read it, and perhaps even make an attempt at understanding it. And I bought my car primarily on how it looked. Sure, it happens to have a lot of performance, but it being aesthetically what I was looking for was the first priority.

and you probably think that you're a skilled investor too don't you? :D

oh and btw I'm 28

Congratulations. You're a 28 year old typing like you're in Junior High. And I don't need you to think I'm a skilled investor, that makes no one money.

And what's even better is that you registered today, for the sole purpose of bashing new Apple products. Seriously, get a life.

Sean Dempsey
Jan 15, 2008, 07:06 PM
Compare it to the small Sony. The price is fine.

Sony has sold plenty of their micro laptop, what is its starting price?
oh thats right:

Cybergypsy
Jan 15, 2008, 07:13 PM
love it I dont need a cd drive I cant remember ever using it, also for me its about style and I love it. the black keyboard is ok i will get use to it :) Mine has been ordered

v-ault
Jan 15, 2008, 07:15 PM
love it I dont need a cd drive I cant remember ever using it, also for me its about style and I love it. the black keyboard is ok i will get use to it :)

you'll sell it after a few weeks anyway

Aranince
Jan 15, 2008, 07:17 PM
I like it...just not something a guy in highschool can pay for.

nsbio
Jan 15, 2008, 07:23 PM
MBA has an unbeatable advantage in that you can slide it under the door, for example to deliver a love letter. Who wants to receive messages on paper anyways?

I think this could be a nice niche market for it:D.

killerrobot
Jan 15, 2008, 07:25 PM
Well the nicest thing I can say about it is that I haven't seen a single "Like OMG I just don't know if I shuldz hax my touch or not" posted today.

pr5owner
Jan 15, 2008, 07:31 PM
yeah most non tech ppl must like it too, if something goes wrong you cant replace anything so you just throw it away and get another one right?

heatmiser
Jan 15, 2008, 07:35 PM
yeah most non tech ppl must like it too, if something goes wrong you cant replace anything so you just throw it away and get another one right?

Seriously--there are zero replaceable parts on this thing. This *definitely* isn't aimed at people who want any kind of control over their hardware. No drive upgrades, no memory changes, not even a spare battery switch. If you've got to get everything through Apple, that's...yeah.

benlee
Jan 15, 2008, 07:39 PM
I Can't wait to see and touch this thing in person. Although I am not in the market for one (I'm more in the market for a widescreen TV now!).
I do feel as though the it is priced a little high--thats only because I don't have the money to buy one. MBA would be a perfect companions to the new iMac...but I have a MBP.

on a side note, threading "Haters stay away!" is only going to bring more haters. Perhaps you should have named it a Haters Thread...surely that is where everyone who likes it are going to be hanging out.

TantalizedMind
I don't like it. Slim is sexy but silver is ugly! I'd buy a Black 55" thick Macbook before any slim SILVER laptop.

pr5owner
Seriously--there are zero replaceable parts on this thing. This *definitely* isn't aimed at people who want any kind of control over their hardware. No drive upgrades, no memory changes, not even a spare battery switch. If you've got to get everything through Apple, that's...yeah.

hopefully apple/hon hai isnt getting exploding sony batteries like last time, this macbook air cant take any heat what so ever and will make whatever battery inside fail even faster.

ddavid
Jan 15, 2008, 07:43 PM
I said no haters.
??? Are you that fragile??? I thought only 13 year olds used the word "haters?"

In case it matters, I like the new Air. Unfortunately I don't really have a use for one that I can think of. I need the power of a MBP but wouldn't mind having an Air to toss in a briefcase!

TantalizedMind
Jan 15, 2008, 07:44 PM
I said no haters.

Your blowing a lot of HOT AIR.

steve31
Jan 15, 2008, 07:49 PM
Love it! Just ordered! It has the things that I was Hoping for a SSD , Powerful CPU, 3100x GPU, magnet latch and a backlit keyboard. Sure it costs a lot but so do most ultra's. The only BAD thing is I have to wait 2 weeks to get it.:D

iW00t
Jan 15, 2008, 07:58 PM

Pfft. Who replaces batteries? Just throw the whole thing away!

I know a rich friend of my Uncle's cousin's daughter in law's sister who just preordered 20 of these. Unlike the rest of us he couldn't be bothered with batteries, he just drops each computer into the trash when the battery runs out.

Only losers swop batteries.

speakerwizard
Jan 15, 2008, 08:02 PM
their is NO service charge on the battery replacement so why all the fuss? youd have to go to apple to buy a new one anyway so its not gonna be much more effort.

TantalizedMind
Jan 15, 2008, 08:23 PM
he just drops each computer into the trash when the battery runs out.

I'd slit his throat for the environment he is killing.

steve31
Jan 15, 2008, 08:26 PM
would the CPU be a Santa Rosa?

island
Jan 15, 2008, 08:26 PM
Love it! Just ordered! It has the things that I was Hoping for a SSD , Powerful CPU, 3100x GPU, magnet latch and a backlit keyboard. Sure it costs a lot but so do most ultra's. The only BAD thing is I have to wait 2 weeks to get it.:D

Congrats! I canceled my order so I can pick it up directly at the store when they get them. Can't wait!

David G.
Jan 15, 2008, 08:29 PM
I like it a lot. But i won't be getting one, the price of it is out of my league(I'm just a highschooler after all.)

kaiwai
Jan 15, 2008, 08:29 PM
There are always folks with more money than management--even among students! I'll keep my eyes open. :D

Depend on who is paying for it; I notice that alot of parents in the US tend to spoil their kids rotten when they go off to University.

For the 'rest of the world', the MacBook Air will be relegated to the kids of parents who have far too much money to know what to do with; note those who drive SUV's and hummers (or as we call them down here, Fendalton Tractor).

In NZ$ - its $2999 for a low end MacBook or $2200 for a high end MacBook?

puckhead193
Jan 15, 2008, 08:30 PM
i think its awesome for the market its intended for. I think its price fair and the design is amazing (from the pics i've seen) only negatives is two things one USB port and lack of additional batteries. Compared to having a spare on long flights but it does last 5 hours. I think this is going to be a great seller and fits nicely into Apple's line up.

Collin973
Jan 15, 2008, 09:07 PM
i like it. I'd definitely consider buying one.

I'd love to take my MBP to class with me each day, but it is a bit big to take with a stack of books, and the power adapter, etc. By itself, the MBP is not bad to carry around, especially in a backpack, but since soooo many professors ask you to bring a textbook with you, that kind of trumps the MBP.

The MBA looks like a great laptop to put in your bag without a lot of weight, but also not compromising on the necessities of portability. 17 USB ports is not a necessity, neither is ethernet, replaceable battery, and other things, like firewire. If this computer was a bit lower in price, closer to $1000, I'd be ordering one now and ebaying my MBP. Obviously, the price is indicative of the technology and innovation that was needed to build this laptop.

I'm certainly impressed with Apple, and it's influence on and with companies like Intel, to work together to build something this cutting edge.

I hope to come by one in the near futures.

Apple, you're still OK in my book. Don't bother with all the haters.

biturbomunkie
Jan 15, 2008, 09:13 PM
well, to be honest, i kinda like the MBA.

it makes me feel good about purchasing applecare for my MBP a couple wks ago. :D

meagain
Jan 15, 2008, 09:17 PM
I love it. And priced VERY affordably. Thank you Apple!

dawnraid
Jan 15, 2008, 09:21 PM
This looks awesome, but what is up with only one usb port and no ethernet???, what happens when I want to use a usb mouse and charge my iPod?? Apart from that the MBA looks amazing

gloss
Jan 15, 2008, 09:29 PM
This looks awesome, but what is up with only one usb port and no ethernet???, what happens when I want to use a usb mouse and charge my iPod?? Apart from that the MBA looks amazing

That's the miracle of teeny-tiny USB hubs.

LizKat
Jan 15, 2008, 09:45 PM

FLAME ON!

I ordered mine, went for the SSD :cool: I am so psyched! :)

iW00t
Jan 15, 2008, 09:52 PM
That's the miracle of teeny-tiny USB hubs.

Isn't it ironic how you buy a ultra portable laptop, only to have to have a USB hub clutter up your desk?

Another thing to lose as well!

gloss
Jan 15, 2008, 10:36 PM
Isn't it ironic how you buy a ultra portable laptop, only to have to have a USB hub clutter up your desk?

Another thing to lose as well!

Agreed. But people don't seem to grasp that this machine isn't intended as a primary computer. Its purpose seems to be to act as a satellite to a main desktop machine. So the issues of optical media, lack of ports, etc are largely irrelevant - it's not designed to exist entirely on its own, simply as an extension of a larger ecosystem.

LindenTree
Jan 15, 2008, 10:53 PM
I love it!!!! I just ordered mine a few minutes ago.

I'm no computer expert, just a regular user. The MBA is perfect for my lifestyle. I don't do much more on my computer than email and web browsing, photobooth, itunes and word processing. I'm a writer, so the keyboard is important to me, but I also need a good sized sreen. On top of that, I lug my computer around everywhere, and now also have a baby in tow, so the light weight is crucial for me.

My trusty Powerbook G4 finally died last November, after four good years of service, and I've been anxiously waiting to get a replacement. The MBs never really appealed to me because of their plastic shells (the metal was my favorite part of my Powerbook), and they're beginning to look a bit outdated. The MBP is just too big, and the extra power means nothing to me!

Truly, the price is a bit high, and I have the luxury of being able to afford it. However, the MBP and the competitors' comparable computers I considered seemed similarly priced. When looking for a computer that will last me the next four years, the MBA is well worth the extra money.

iW00t
Jan 15, 2008, 11:18 PM

Environment? Who cares!

Do not love the world nor the things in the world.

mosx
Jan 15, 2008, 11:28 PM
I actually really like the MacBook Air. It's great for what it is. Its actually priced right as well!

It'd be a great companion computer to a desktop or something like that. With the SuperDrive it CAN be a primary system.

Despite my other comments here lately about Apple in general, I think they did great with this. I hope it does well.

kaiwai
Jan 16, 2008, 04:20 AM

The car drivers of the world seem to have no problems with polluting their air by their right to drive a car, but hate it when people upgrade their computer. Cripes, I bike everywhere, if i wanted to clock up as much pollution as you, I'd have to go through 100 computers in a year.

ray648
Jan 16, 2008, 05:55 AM
I think the macbook air is an excellent buy for anyone who already has another computer and just needs something light to carry around and use when not at home. The size and weight are excellent, it looks amazing, and the specs are easily good enough for general usage. Unfortunately, I already own a macbook, and most of the time im using it, I don't have access to a power socket. As the macbook air's battery life isnt any better than the macbook's, I won't be buying one. If I didn't have the macbook already though, I would be seriously considering it.

Cybergypsy
Jan 16, 2008, 06:22 AM
I bought it just for surfing...really dont do much more....have a new macbook and always wished it had alum, and backlite keys......best of both worlds as i always hated MBP keyboard

iZac
Jan 16, 2008, 06:30 AM
there is NO service charge on the battery replacement so why all the fuss?

Since ive been away from the forum (you know ... work and sleep, pfft) whats the source on this delightful news? If thats the case, ill certainly get one sooner or later.

mashinhead
Jan 16, 2008, 07:23 AM
well how i feel about the price of this thing has really be covered so i won't mention it. what i did want to say is that i kind wish it had a black i mac like bezel for some reason rather than an aluminum one and instead of the black keys. i really like that look. i'm sure they tried it but i wonder why they didn't go with it.

neiltc13
Jan 16, 2008, 08:33 AM

It's not ultraportable though, ignoring the thickness the laptop is roughly the same size as a MacBook and nobody ever says that is ultraportable.

Buschmaster
Jan 16, 2008, 08:37 AM
I like it.

The computers it is competing with, it simply defeats.

I'm not in their target market, but those people who buy the compact HP's will have to reconsider next time they're in the market.

Buschmaster
Jan 16, 2008, 08:39 AM
It's not ultraportable though, ignoring the thickness the laptop is roughly the same size as a MacBook and nobody ever says that is ultraportable.
Ok, well, ignoring the Holocaust Hitler wasn't as bad.

Yeah, I just made that comparison. Let's not ignore things, seems silly to do when we know they're there.

arkitect
Jan 16, 2008, 08:40 AM
Since ive been away from the forum (you know ... work and sleep, pfft) whats the source on this delightful news? If thats the case, ill certainly get one sooner or later.

Apple will replace MBA battery free of charge:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/macbook-air-battery-replacements-129-free-install/

iZac
Jan 16, 2008, 10:53 AM
Apple will replace MBA battery free of charge:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/macbook-air-battery-replacements-129-free-install/

cheers for the link. I wonder if the battery connectors will be soldered or clipped? if it turns out they clip in, i can see some very dodgey third party batteries making their way onto the market!

Mastamarek
Jan 16, 2008, 10:54 AM
count me in, dont have money yet for one but I want one soooo bad.

Maui19
Jan 16, 2008, 11:04 AM
The MBA is exactly what I was looking for: a light, easy-to-carry laptop that travels very well. I need portability, not a small heavy laptop that is trying to be all things to all people. The battery issue doesn't bother me at all--there will be 3rd party external options available in a few weeks. Firewire? If I need it, I'll just get an adaptor. Same with Ethernet (gee, when was the last time I had a laptop connected to anything with Ethernet?).

I'm in line for the SSD model. ;)

lostfan916
Jan 20, 2008, 03:44 PM
This (http://wilshipley.com/blog/2008/01/macbook-air-haters-suck-my-di%63k.html) blog post made my day. Sums up what I've been thinking, but couldn't get it on on my computer screen.

I've read nothing but whining about the MacBook Air on Mac news sites since it came out this morning. Honestly, I just want to shake these people. Not, like, shake some sense into them, but shake them like you're not supposed to shake a baby.

The criticism all basically goes like this: "It's not like a MacBook Pro!"

No, really? Seriously? I mean, they introduced this new product, and it doesn't have the same specs as the MacBook Pro? God, that is bizarre. I wonder why they gave it a new name, and continue to sell the MacBook Pro, then, if it's not going to be exactly the same. I mean, that hardly makes sense, does it?

Ok, fine, there are some people who want, like, an extra battery Pack. But let's admit amongst ourselves that the overwhelming majority of people out there have never pulled the battery out of their existing laptops, and didn't even know or care that it comes out. In fact, if something goes wrong with their battery, this majority -- whom we'll call "NORMAL PEOPLE" for convenience -- will just take the damn machine to the store and get it fixed, whether it's user-serviceable or not. Because we don't want to hassle with it.

And there are people out there who do video editing on their MacBooks and want FireWire. Great! I respect your choice! You should buy a MacBook! It's an awesome machine! If you want to do that! Which I don't!

I've read journalists complain that you can't get at the hard drive in the MacBook Air. What? I have no ****ing idea where the hard drive is in my MacBook Pro, and even if you drew me a damn diagram with labels and numbers and gave me a replacement drive I wouldn't open my machine even in exchange for a year with Zooey Deschanel. Ok, yes I would, but you get my point. I'm sorry, Zooey, I didn't mean it, baby.

Some journalists get so close to the truth it hurts, yet miss the large print. "OMG! The unit is all sealed and self-contained like the iPod!"

Yes... the iPod. That huge failure. Also, the iPhone. Stunning disappointment that it was. I mean, jeebus, why would Apple make ANOTHER device incredibly simple? Clearly the market has spoken, and it wants tons of ports and screws and geegaws and flippers... no, wait, no it doesn't.

You guys are TECHNOLOGY JOURNALISTS. You are GEAR HEADS. There is no shame in this, but, come on, recognize that what you think is cool is NOT what my mom thinks is cool, or what an executive thinks is cool, or what a lawyer who just wants to write a deposition on her laptop thinks is cool.

I'm a programmer. I just want a machine I can write software on. Once, I loved gadgets, too, but now I really just want a gadget that (a) works, and (b) is beautiful and easy-to-use. Sure, my iPhone doesn't have as many raw features as my lawyer's Blackberry + RAZR combined (she carries both). But I understand my iPhone, and I don't have to learn it, because it's learned me. I can take a photo in three seconds, and so can she (we tested) even though she'd never seen an iPhone before.

I'm not the freak, here. In this one instance. I'm with the majority. All software developers should be hailing the advent of the computer-as-appliance, because it means we'll be reaching into markets that are afraid of self-service machines.

I can't take apart my Kitchenaid blender. If they come out with a new motor, I'm screwed. It's not upgradeable! And when the motor blows (as it DID... grrr), I have to send it back. I can't take apart my car. When Lotus came out with a bolt-on supercharger, I had to (gasp) take it to the dealer to have it put in. Somehow I survived.

I don't buy a laptop because I want to replace its drive in a year. I buy it because it seems great and meets my needs today. If my needs magically morph over the coming year, I guess I'll sell it on eBay. Or pay Apple to throw in a different drive, or something. Honestly, I think we need to admit that just because machines get faster every year, doesn't mean that the majority of people need faster machines.

In two weeks I'll be writing Delicious Library 2 on a MacBook Air, every day. Because it's simple and beautiful, and I crave those things.

And all you haters can... well, buy one in six months, when you realize how nice it is.

Catch
Jan 20, 2008, 04:22 PM
Absolutely stunning. The perfect addition to the Apple lineup. Really just hope the battery life is not overstated though. It would be a shame to have such a portable computer crippled by battery life. I ordered mine with the SSD in the hope battery life will be 5+ hours.

Regards,

C