PDA

View Full Version : Well...reaction?

anotherarunan
Jan 15, 2008, 01:14 PM
Pretty much standard procedure from apple. Although i was dissapointed with one thing...NO "ONE MORE THING".....:eek:

apart from that, expect the usual complaints...and take a look at the price of a macbookair with a SSD! :eek:

im happy though, my SR macbook is still top of the range! and justifys me buying it in december :D

dmr727
Jan 15, 2008, 01:17 PM
I liked it. I was happy with the update to the AppleTV - I think I'll finally get off the fence and buy one. The Capsule seems interesting. The MBA is outside of what I want to spend, but it's pretty awesome nonetheless.

It would have been nice to see updated specs on the Mini and other notebooks, but hey, you can't have everything! :)

razorianfly
Jan 15, 2008, 01:20 PM
I only have one thing to say

iPod touch + new apps = $20.

Heh. No.

R-Fly

iliketomac
Jan 15, 2008, 01:20 PM
Yes I agree. The MBAir is attractive but short on some features for its hefty price. A few hundred dollars less, then it would be a good deal, IMO. But eventually the specs will get better and better for either the same price point or reduced price points over the course of time... Also, it looks like no Apple Remote and Front Row for the MBAir??

JohnMacnMiami
Jan 15, 2008, 01:23 PM
Apparently the market was not excited about it.
Down $30+ a share since early Jan.
Oh well, 6 years until I retire, I'll hope to see it bounce back (heh heh)

cal6n
Jan 15, 2008, 01:23 PM
iPhone and Touch: Stay jailbroken.

MBA: Sexy but no use to me.

The rest: Meh...

anotherarunan
Jan 15, 2008, 01:25 PM
But eventually the specs will get better and better for either the same price point or reduced price points over the course of time... Also, it looks like no Apple Remote and Front Row for the MBAir??

the apple remote is an optional extra! like the superdrive, theres an optional extra ethernet USB adapter. (for the MBA single USB port!)

just wait for the apple USB hub announcement to come in the summer! :D

amakh007
Jan 15, 2008, 01:29 PM
Overall thoughts......meh......
1. No new iphone....just software updates
2. No new AppleTV...just software updates
3. A wireless backup hard drive......
4. A super thin laptop...but the SSD version is over $3000

I think Mac fans were thinking new iphone, new AppleTV, some tablet

Basically we got a super expensive (albeit nice) thin laptop....

Oh well...........

iliketomac
the apple remote is an optional extra! like the superdrive, theres an optional extra ethernet USB adapter. (for the MBA single USB port!)
just wait for the apple USB hub announcement to come in the summer! :D

Dang, they should have included that in the box!

ghall
I was somewhat disappointed. The only thing I really got excited about was the MacBook Air and the iPhone update. I said the same thing about last years MacWorld, it left me wanting more...i.e. "One more thing..."

nycartst
Jan 15, 2008, 01:30 PM
What about an update to the Mac Book Pro that was supposed to happen? There was a lot of talk about upgrading the chipset and nothing ... lame. And we have to pay MORE for the iPhone update?! Like we did not pay enough for the phone itself. Real sad Steve ... real sad. :mad:

Puck.
Jan 15, 2008, 01:33 PM
Pretty terrible honestly, it seemed as though there should have been at least one more major item. Let's hope that in 6 months we get more another major goodie.

AVMasterpiece
Jan 15, 2008, 01:36 PM
I too am slighty disappointed, but not stunned. I really wanted a MBP with penryn released today, but it will come soon enough. The iPhone upgrade is free, and at least that will tide me over for awhile. I need to replace my 15" Powerbook G4, and a MacBook Air will certainly not cut it, as it is in a different class of laptop. Steve Jobs, please, please don't wait too long to release a new iteration of a MacBook Pro, sans Randy Newman if you could.

ndheah
Jan 15, 2008, 01:36 PM
Way, way, way too much money for what you get. I was hoping they would release a simple, thinner laptop that was going to be cheap and finally compete with Dell/Gateway/HP

mac.attack9
Jan 15, 2008, 01:38 PM
Overall not too shabby.

I think the iTunes movie rentals seems like a decent idea and the software update and price drop of Apple TV will definitely help boost sales. As for the iPod touch update....well you can either have hundreds of useful applications for free or pay $20 bucks more for 4 that should have been included in the first place. Ill stick with the jail break. I am a slightly confused about the Macbook Air for a couple of reasons. If it is going to be marketed as a ultra portable laptop to help sales in the business sector where on earth is the 6+ battery life. Also I thought that apple wanted to try and get some of the pie nternationally and consumers looking for a truly upc arent going to buy a 13 inch laptop no matter how thin it is. Those are the people who are going to be willing to pay the big bucks for a laptop not the student or average consumer. I bought a macbook in dec knowing the possibility of a major overhaul to the entire macbook line. I am very happy knowing that if i had the option to buy the notebook again today I would be buyingn the exact same laptop AT THE SAME PRICE..

Overall Macbook Air
- sweet design
- A couple nice new features
- Decent power (2 gb standard of memory)
- Expensive especially if you add the SSD
- Regular macbook is $500 cheaper, around the same battery life, etc

I think that while this is a good addition to the macbook line it may (and hopefully) is setting up for some sort of 10-11 inch tablet incorporating more multi touch features.

Sannekita
Jan 15, 2008, 01:41 PM
The macbook air looks really cool i think. but it's so useless!
Hm... i'll quitly wait for the MBP update... got too excited.
and it was quite the bummer when he didn't say OMT... :-(

Jaymes
Jan 15, 2008, 01:43 PM
And we have to pay MORE for the iPhone update?!

Maybe I missed something, but I thought it was a free update for the iPhone but a $20 update for the iPod Touch?

bbeloff
Jan 15, 2008, 01:43 PM
Okay, MWSF 2007 was all about the iPhone, and anyone interested in Macs had to go somewhere else to find entertainment ... but it feels like this is the second year in a row when that's happened...

It seems as if Apple has (temporarily) abandoned any attempt to make Time Machine work with ethernet drives. What do we conclude about that? Apple screwed up? What's the problem already?

Penryn CPUs in MacBook Pros? Where? When? Is Apple in some sort of slow bicycle race, and thinks it should be the last major laptop manufacturer to announce this? I mean really, I's just like to know, because I'll buy as soon as they're ready. Unless I die of boredom waiting.

iPod touch gets mail. This is a big deal. Such a big deal, in fact, that I now don't need one of those razor blade shaped toys Steve announced today. And I doubt I'm the only one. The MBA looks horribly like the world's heaviest PDA, not the world's lightest laptop. I could be wrong, of course.

Jaymes
Jan 15, 2008, 01:46 PM
Okay, MWSF 2007 was all about the iPhone, and anyone interested in Macs had to go somewhere else to find entertainment ...

Hmm, I'm interested in Macs, and I thought the new MacBook Air looked pretty cool. Maybe I was just seeing things weird out of my glass eye.

ozziegn
Jan 15, 2008, 01:46 PM
I'm sitting here laughing at the tons of people who were saying how they were going to buy the new MBP when it came out on MWSF on Jan. 15th. - kept telling all these people "how are you going to buy a new MBP when you don't even know if there is going to be a new MBP????"

-and here I sit and say, "I told you so.........." :D

pyre
Jan 15, 2008, 01:50 PM
MBAir is too expensive. I was looking for something from Apple to be around the price point I can get a ThinkPad X61 from Lenovo.

It's nice that it fits in an envelope, but that just makes me think it could be too easily damaged traveling in a bag everyday (e.g. too thin).

I like the weight though. It's too bad that Apple couldn't get the MacBooks to be in the weight range.

I can understand why Apple has it in that price range though. You are paying for the smaller Core 2 Duo and the size. They are eyeing the laptops like the Sony's and the Panasonic's. Those are priced in this range too.

leekohler
Jan 15, 2008, 01:52 PM
Hmm- I was excited about the MacBook Air, then I saw the price. Far too much money for way too little. Looks like I'll still be hanging onto my iBook G4.

zimtheinvader
Jan 15, 2008, 01:54 PM
Who is Apple kidding, the ultra-portable market is for *cheap* ultra-portables or for Tablets. If I didn't buy a 7" touch-screen UMPC for $1000, why on earth would I buy a non-touchscreen, ethernetless, 13" envelope-sized "sub-notebook". The price is Pro-line, the lack of screen options, lack of graphics, lack of FW800, lack of ethernet, speaks otherwise. Even a touchscreen would have saved this thing, right now its just an incredibly expensive, thinner, backlit Macbook. I mean, I get it is thin, but are they serious? My MBP is thin enough....

c-Row
Jan 15, 2008, 01:55 PM
Nothing that made me pull out my credit card from my wallet...

Snips
Jan 15, 2008, 01:55 PM
Overall, disappointing.

From the MacRumors live update (thanks guys), there was waaaaaay too much dull stuff about movies /snore

Would have liked to hear about a Leopard update; increase in capacity of iPhone and Touch; perhaps news of 3G support; hear more about the SDK; see some more cool iPhone app demos.

I like the Time Capsule though, as I'm looking for a back-up drive since Time Machine came along. I'll be picking one of those up.

Jan 15, 2008, 01:57 PM
Personally, I think the expectations here are bordering on ridiculous. Also, when you have everyone looking to Steve Jobs for religious validation, lining up hours in advance for a freaking keynote speech... you're bound to disappoint yourself.

Frankly, Apple still has the most impressive portfolio of products, and the innovations announced today still up the bar. It's foolish to expect an iPod or an iPhone scale innovation every year from any company, even Apple.

And face it... because you and I aren't everyone, they aren't going to please everyone.

As I figured when it came out, I think the real winner here is AppleTV... there's a reason for that.

We're on the edge of a technological convergence of entertainment media. Apple appears to be moving slowly away from the concept of removable storage to wireless streaming, and AppleTV is no small part of that.

Steve Jobs said it would eventually be the 4th leg in their portfolio... And with the rentals model, and the ability to search and purchase movies and music from the interface, along with all its other features, AppleTV is unlocking a door that others are already committing to follow...including Netflix and LG.

The one problem in picking that lock for Apple has been HD... and they're clearly reading the public sentiment and working on upping the ante with HD and SD viewable content on AppleTV, iPod, iPhone, Mac, PC, etc.

This is really the future of technology... and one of Apple's big goals... to connect your office, your living room and your mobile existence all together.

But if you were expecting it all to happen at once... think again. The public is not ready for that, and the R&D costs alone, plus deployment, would be tremendous and if you operate like Microsoft you find yourself spending 7 years to deploy a bigger leap only to find out it's a dud. Apple is smart for taking kiddie steps before they run with it.

The next kiddie step, I suspect, is multitouch... Granted, I'm sure some were hoping for a full blown multitouch display. I know I was.. but not everyone is ready for that experience just yet. In fact, I'd say a lot of people are't.

So Apple is introducing it gradually... first Mighty Mouse (yes, this is a capacitance sensing surface), then iPhone, now the multitouch trackpad... sooner or later they're going to have enough public reaction to tell them when the right time to go full-throttle will be.

That's part of the game, guys, they release a step below the "product to end all products" that you are asking of them so they can figure out what works, what doesnt, and then invest in the improvements. Otherwise, they could go broke pretty damn quickly... and then you're left with nothing to look forward to except the next Toshiba POS laptop or the next iteration of Windows sometime 15 years from now...

So keep voicing the concerns, but my feeling is... If you want to do more than just vent and actually have your concerns taken as serious criticism and not the ravings of a disappointed fanboy, try voicing them constructively, and at the same time know the old adage... caveat emptor... let the buyer beware. No one puts a gun to your head to buy this stuff. Before you go shelling out for gadgets or getting your expectations up, do some research and lower your expectations.

I'm just happy that the company that introduced me to computers 30 years ago is still around making great hardware.

John Purple
Jan 15, 2008, 02:00 PM
Not one MacBook with Penryn (SSE4)
Not one model with Blue-Ray
MBP old old old
Aperture same as MBP
Is MBA revolutionary? I don't know.
Just sold my Apple shares.

dmr727
Jan 15, 2008, 02:01 PM
Great post Avatar74. I agree 100%.

pete0302
Jan 15, 2008, 02:02 PM
I am a Powerbook G4 user, and ready for a new computer. I was hoping that they would update the MacBook Pro, because I would definately buy one, but that doesn't look like thats going to happen anytime soon... ::mad:

Jan 15, 2008, 02:07 PM
I am a Powerbook G4 user, and ready for a new computer. I was hoping that they would update the MacBook Pro, because I would definately buy one, but that doesn't look like thats going to happen anytime soon... ::mad:

Do you edit HD video? Do you do mobile multitrack recording (32 tracks or more at a time)?

If not, my question is... why are you "ready" for a new computer?

By the way, I have a PB 1GHz, running OS X 10.5 smoothly, and it works just fine. I have the money to go blowing on new gadgets but, I've mellowed out on that.

However, if you want to buy yourself a new toy every year "just cos"... be my guest. I'm an Apple shareholder and I appreciate the money going out of your pocket and into mine.

leekohler
Jan 15, 2008, 02:08 PM
Who is Apple kidding, the ultra-portable market is for *cheap* ultra-portables or for Tablets. If I didn't buy a 7" touch-screen UMPC for $1000, why on earth would I buy a non-touchscreen, ethernetless, 13" envelope-sized "sub-notebook". The price is Pro-line, the lack of screen options, lack of graphics, lack of FW800, lack of ethernet, speaks otherwise. Even a touchscreen would have saved this thing, right now its just an incredibly expensive, thinner, backlit Macbook. I mean, I get it is thin, but are they serious? My MBP is thin enough....

Agreed- this was a real bummer.

Europe calling
Jan 15, 2008, 02:12 PM
The only thing i am dying for at this moment is to get the bugs out of Leopard 10.5.1.
I had really hoped today would be that day.
A real dissapointment! :(

sailnavy
Jan 15, 2008, 02:12 PM
I miss having a smaller portable laptop. I know they're exceeding specs with the 13" screen, but I'd really like to have an 8.5 x 11 sized laptop again. 13" is nice, but on a train or a plane it's always too big to work comfortably.

I don't use my laptop as my primary machine, if I have a lot of writing to do, I use my iMac. No ethernet could be an issue for business travelers, as not all hotels have wireless. I guess the answer to that is airport express, but is a smaller, not necessarily thinner, macbook THAT much to ask for?

pete0302
Jan 15, 2008, 02:13 PM
The reason I was anticipating a new MacBook Pro is because as of right now, I have someone interested in purhasing my Powerbook. And it would have been perfect timing.

sailnavy
Jan 15, 2008, 02:13 PM
So are we ever going to see Time Machine support for the TB drive I bought for my AEBS in preparation for Time Machine release?

Chasb
Jan 15, 2008, 02:19 PM
Some nice products, but nothing I wanted or need.

byeehaaw
Jan 15, 2008, 02:19 PM
where is 10.5.2!? that was the main thing i was looking for lol

petersays
Jan 15, 2008, 02:25 PM
Ok. Here are some thoughts.

I definately see where the MBA will fit in their product line and i do not doubt they will sell very well.

Time Capsule looks really great, especially when you can avoid using Time Machine and just use it as ye olde 802-11n external harddrive on 1 TB. But too expensive here in Sweden. May pick one up on travel if given the chance. (Or buy it thru my company and deduct VAT)

Biggest letdown is that they totally ignore their high end users. The idea of introduing the Mac Pro without updating the ACDs, or at least lowering the price to 60% or something, is plain ignorant. Same goes for the MBP. I feel sorry for you who have been waiting for an update very long now.

Im still happy with my MB i bought in november, but im in BAD need of an external LCD and i really wanna go with Apple. they just wont let me.

soLoredd
Jan 15, 2008, 02:25 PM
I was disappointed with most of it but I think that's because the lack of any mention of Mac Mini. I was ready to buy one today, credit card on the table. Now I will probably head out this week and get an iMac instead. The Mini was a great idea and still could find a place for people who just want a quick, inexpensive set up, but it seems Apple is not bothered with the affordables. I thought we might have seen a shift in Apple ideology with the introduction of the Mini, but that was a pipe dream.

Time Capsule looks great, though, and it will work out well with my MacBook and the iMac. The iPhone update was ok but now that I've seen 'My Location' place me about a mile off-track, sent 2 mass SMS, and watched the icons jiggle, it has worn off. Makes me wonder what the folks in the iPhone development team are doing these days, as Google made the Maps app so all Apple did was implement Webclips and multi-SMS. Woohoo! :rolleyes:

Here's hoping for the better at some point.

anotherarunan
Jan 15, 2008, 02:26 PM
another thing people should keep in mind is...why release all new products at one event when you can stagger the release and keep interest over a longer period of time.

i.e macbook pro updates are coming, just like most of things people want (although SOME of the things some people want are just downright crazy), but it wont happen at once, and its gonna take a while!

mrgreen4242
Jan 15, 2008, 02:26 PM
To stick with Steve's 4 main points:
1) Time Capsule is pretty neat, not a terrible price for what it is, either.
2) iPhone software looks pretty nice. iPod touch update is a travesty against all mankind... I think Apple is seriously underestimating the backlash this will cause.
3) The ATV updates are nice, price drop is decent, but not nearly enough for year old hardware with no upgrades. Software only update means HD content will be 720p24@5mbits which is pretty OK but not what I would have liked to see. 5.1 finally.
4) Macbook Air: stupid, stupid name. Crazy insane pricing, especially when you add the SD, ethernet, remote, and modem (you really should have all those in the box at $1800). Who's going to be buying this thing? It's just so targeted at a very specific market that I can't see it being a huge success.

As for stuff that DIDN'T get talked about:
- No desktop updates at all. I predict Apple getting out of the consumer desktop market in the next 2-3 years. No more iMac or mini.
- No tablet. They could have done a <$1000 multitouch 9" iSlab tablet thingy that would have been as light and thin as the Air and actually revolutionized something, but... shrug.
- iTunes subscription. Now that they have a self destructing DRM scheme in Fairplay I expected a subscription for TV shows, at least.

All in all, unexciting, really.

Powers
Jan 15, 2008, 02:28 PM
The public is not ready for that, and the R&D costs alone, plus deployment, would be tremendous and if you operate like Microsoft you find yourself spending 7 years to deploy a bigger leap only to find out it's a dud. Apple is smart for taking kiddie steps before they run with it.

The next kiddie step, I suspect, is multitouch... Granted, I'm sure some were hoping for a full blown multitouch display. I know I was.. but not everyone is ready for that experience just yet. In fact, I'd say a lot of people are't.

Couldn't agree more. I know people who have disabled the drag and tap features of the trackpad; let alone handle multitouch! The multitouch is excellent perhaps the best move forward in a long long while - time saved is money.

As a pro audio engineer I really really really wish it had Firewire 400 or 800 not USB2. USB2 is too slow for multitrack recording and drivers are no way as robust. Oh well.

anotherarunan
Jan 15, 2008, 02:31 PM
- No desktop updates at all. I predict Apple getting out of the consumer desktop market in the next 2-3 years. No more iMac or mini.

Absolute madness. No offence.

Shannighan
Jan 15, 2008, 02:32 PM
WHERE THE HELL IS THE GOD DAMN MACBOOK PRO UDATE???? THIS IS WHAT I WAS WAITING FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW I HAVE TO WAT LONGER

that made me mad

but with HD movie rentals and a price drop i might buy a Apple tv now though

theLimit
Jan 15, 2008, 02:34 PM
Second MW in a row with disappointing new stuff that I have no use for and not a mention of stuff that I can use. I'll just wait out the next two or three weeks hoping for a silent MBP refresh.

Shannighan
Jan 15, 2008, 02:36 PM
Second MW in a row with disappointing new stuff that I have no use for and not a mention of stuff that I can use. I'll just wait out the next two or three weeks hoping for a silent MBP refresh.

i hope... that would be really nice

anybody having problems updating iPhone?

John Purple
Jan 15, 2008, 02:41 PM
another thing people should keep in mind is...why release all new products at one event when you can stagger the release and keep interest over a longer period of time.

i.e macbook pro updates are coming, just like most of things people want (although SOME of the things some people want are just downright crazy), but it wont happen at once, and its gonna take a while!

I hope they will not delay MBP to avoid canibalism with MBA.

nimasm
Jan 15, 2008, 02:44 PM
zimtheinvader you're right: MBA does not compare favourably to other products available. Thinness is a nice quality, and indeed it gives that premium edge to the MBA that other UMPCs lack, but Apple's seeming need to give you a full-featured, full-screen, full-clock speed computer is contrary to the needs of ultraportability. While I don't begrudge the Core 2 processor, nor the ample RAM, I can't say that a 13.3" widescreen is essential. (Indeed, if you're aiming for portability, then the dinosaur 4:3 format offers a greater ratio of screen area to overall dimensions).

I recently had the opportunity to borrow an Asus Eee PC, and was blown away by the advantages of its form factor. It was solidly built, confidence inspring, yet portable. The MBA makes me worry about potential flimsiness. How will it compared to a Macbook if bashed in the centre of the lid. The Eee PC, while slow and cramped, at least has rigidity

Moreover, do people really want to pay more for a compromised solution? Compare the Eee PC at 200. Now I don't wish to say that the Eee PC is something Apple should have produced, but in almost every respect it is in the right direction. It's smaller in the correct sense (reducing the greater dimensions first), sturdier, cheaper. Asus have done a fantastic job of this, and I don't doubt that Apple could have done it even better. How about a 10-12" screen, make it thin if you really must, but make it cheap, and drop pretentions of selling people a widescreen video-editing 'supercomputer'?

With my cursory memory of the MBA's features, I can't think of a single argument other than a need to have the latest thing for the MBA over the top of the range Macbook, a notebook which I subjectively think looks more attractive, too.

What consumers would go for would be more portability, more affordability, at the expense of screen real estate and ultimate performance. What have given us is equal portability, a lot less affordability, and less performance.

Siemova
Jan 15, 2008, 02:47 PM
Great post Avatar74. I agree 100%.

Same here! Before coming to this thread, I just finished posting something very similar, only not as well-put. ^_^

John Purple
Jan 15, 2008, 02:47 PM
Do you edit HD video? Do you do mobile multitrack recording (32 tracks or more at a time)?

If not, my question is... why are you "ready" for a new computer?

By the way, I have a PB 1GHz, running OS X 10.5 smoothly, and it works just fine. I have the money to go blowing on new gadgets but, I've mellowed out on that.

However, if you want to buy yourself a new toy every year "just cos"... be my guest. I'm an Apple shareholder and I appreciate the money going out of your pocket and into mine.

Well, then try to run Aperture on your PB. Good luck.

No money from me until MBP is state of the art. I'm not going to pay nearly $ 3.000 in January 2008 for a notebook without SSE4 and Blue-Ray.
I just sold my shares.

BabyFaceMagee
Jan 15, 2008, 02:53 PM
I think a lot of people here are missing the big picture. Apple can come out with hardware up the gazoo for the next 10 years. But Apple is not just about computers and hardware anymore. The big money long term is digital content delivery. There is only a limited window of opportunity to become THE leader in digital movie downloads. With Netflix, amazon and others all gunning for that market, Apple had to step up to the plate and offer a superior way of getting movies...especially HD movies...into people's living rooms and onto their big screen tvs.

The fact that they were able to get all the major studios to sign on is a MAJOR MAJOR koo for Steve and Co. If they don't make this priority # 1 then Netflix or amazon will become the standard and Apple will lose out on tens of billions of potential revenue down the line. Any company has to choose its battles carefully and use whatever limited resources they have for the important fights. Once Apple has the download market sewn up and becomes the 'standard' then they'll have so much money for R&D that they'll be able to pop out unbelievable hardware products that we haven't even imagined yet.

But right now there is a sense of urgency that they have to slay netflix and amazon quickly before it's too late. I think long term they are doing the right thing. Sure it would have been great to see some more hardware introductions...and we'll get that...but I can see where Jobs' focus is right now and the truth is that digital content delivery is where Apple's bread and butter is growing these days and there's a tremendous amount of future money at stake that he's eyeing and doesn't want to let slip away.

adouglas2001
Jan 15, 2008, 02:55 PM

Genius move, that.

Have you never heard of "sell on the news?" Everyone's already done it.

Apple is down $13.50 as I write this.

It will come back up, provided the economy as a whole doesn't implode.

I got an Apple gift card for the holidays, and was waiting to see what Apple was going to announce. My decision? I'm ordering a refurb MBP to replace my G4 Powerbook this week.

"Old old old?" Not compared to my early-2003 computer. It's dramatically faster, dramatically more efficient, and dramatically more capacious than the machine I've got. Based on the Penryn tests I've seen so far, an MBP update will result in only a marginal improvement. I don't NEED a few extra percent of battery life or performance here and there.

It is always wiser in the long run IMHO to be a late adopter and buy near the end of a product lifecycle than near the beginning. Early adopters are, and have always been, late beta testers.

I dunno...seems that everyone could use just a little less caffeine and stop obsessing over instant gratification and wish fulfillment. Take a deep breath. Leopard WILL be updated. Blu-Ray WILL happen. The MBP WILL get a refresh. And so on. But not today. Big deal. Wait a few months.

Could be that age and decades of experience have given me an appreciation for the long view. I just don't get all torqued up over every tiny move that Apple makes (or fails to make). They still make great products.

mrgreen4242
Jan 15, 2008, 02:56 PM
Absolute madness. No offence.

Well, we'll wait and see. Laptops already account for over half of all new computer sales, and the iMac uses MOSTLY laptop parts as it is. The big thing holding laptops back has been drive speed and capacity. Those are both being improved upon with traditional HDDs and SSDs. The Time Capsule will become the place where you store your "extra" files and big media, etc. There's even already a spec being developed for wireless HD video communication for TV to media player connection. People could have a MacBook with a 20"+ display, 1TB HDD, and fullsize keyb and mouse on their desk with no wires. Add in an induction charging pad and you've got a really, really cool workspace.

I think they'll bring back the $1500 PowerMac/Mac Pro and drop the iMac and mini lines in favor of expanded laptop lines, including a 20" "laptop" (wouldn't be the first one on the market).

wake6830
Jan 15, 2008, 03:02 PM
1. Time Capsule - seems kind of cool. Would have to look into it a bit more, but the price doesn't seem too bad considering that it's an N-router and a hard drive. I would hope that Apple would also make the wireless drive work on older AEBS like they promised, but maybe that's crazy talk.

2. iPhone/iPod Touch - Yay for the SDK, although I am a little perplexed about the locator thing. My Helio Ocean has had a google maps feature with a locator function since it came out in like April, and it's very exact in telling you where you are - none of this multi-block radius crap.

The other thing is the paid update, combined with the updates being included on new, less expensive Touches. LAME. LAME. LAME. Apple should get reamed by customers on this.

3. iTunes rentals/Apple TV2 - I think the rentals are ok - pretty much the same as pay-per-view, except should be a better selection. I like the option for HD. I do wish that the time frame was 48 hours, and I also wish that the movies came out on the dvd release date and not a month later.

As for Apple TV2, I think it was a step closer toward making it useful. It really should just have a full browser and a dvd/blu-ray drive. The lower price is helpful, but keeping the 40 gig hard drive is kind of an insult.

4. MacBook Air - What can I say? A comparatively weak processor, no graphics card, no user replaceable battery, soldered-in RAM, 80 gig iPod hard drive or $1,000 dollar SSD, mono speaker and $1800?!?! I'm not a fan of the fat bezel around the screen either. I do like the multi-touch, and I think the optical drive sharing with other computers is pretty neat.

Overall, I have to say I'm disappointed. I am looking to buy two macbook pros but wanted to wait for updates. I briefly considered just going ahead and getting them now anyway, but decided not to. I am confused as to why Apple would come up with new tech and NOT put it in their pro line, but they'll have to sooner or later and I'll wait until they do.

I don't think the disappointment is limited to whiners on these forums. Look at AAPL today - down over 6% since this morning.

adouglas2001
Jan 15, 2008, 03:03 PM

Genius move, that.

Have you never heard of "sell on the news?" Everyone's already done it.

Apple is down $13.50 as I write this.

It will come back up, provided the economy as a whole doesn't implode.

I got an Apple gift card for the holidays, and was waiting to see what Apple was going to announce. My decision? I'm ordering a refurb MBP to replace my G4 Powerbook this week.

"Old old old?" Not compared to my early-2003 computer. It's dramatically faster, dramatically more efficient, and dramatically more capacious than the machine I've got. Based on the Penryn tests I've seen so far, an MBP update will result in only a marginal improvement. I don't NEED a few extra percent of battery life or performance here and there.

It is always wiser in the long run IMHO to be a late adopter and buy near the end of a product lifecycle than near the beginning. Early adopters are, and have always been, late beta testers.

I dunno...seems that everyone could use just a little less caffeine and stop obsessing over instant gratification and wish fulfillment. Take a deep breath. Leopard WILL be updated. Blu-Ray WILL happen. The MBP WILL get a refresh. And so on. But not today. Big deal. Wait a few months.

Could be that age and decades of experience have given me an appreciation for the long view. I just don't get all torqued up over every tiny move that Apple makes (or fails to make). They still make great products.

bozzie10
Jan 15, 2008, 03:11 PM
So disappointed. Was hoping with all the rumors Apple would bring back small 12" laptop. I just loved my 12" Mac Pro Laptop. When Apple went to Intel they discontinued this model and 15" was the smallest MacBook Pro.

MacBook Air may be THIN but it is still 13", has no optical drive, no firewire only one USB, only 80GB drive.
I guess I will stick with my 13" MacBook for now.

Was also hoping (maybe unreasonably) that iTouch would come with audio in.
Oh Well

CWallace
Jan 15, 2008, 03:11 PM
Three new toys to own (MacBook Air, :apple:tv 2, and Time Capsule) plus an update for my existing toy - iPhone.

Count me as pleased.

Now hopefully an MBP refresh will happen next Tuesday.

John Purple
Jan 15, 2008, 03:13 PM
Genius move, that.

Yes, but for $ 2.500 to 3.000 I would prefer to buy the newest technology.

Yes, but switching to Penryn and adding Blue-Ray should be no rocket science. I'm not waiting for a fully re-designed MBP.

They still make great products.

Yes, but movie and music markets are quite different to the computer market. And I would be perfectly happy if they would focus as much on their computer business as they do for the rest.

anotherarunan
Jan 15, 2008, 03:14 PM
Three new toys to own (MacBook Air, :apple:tv 2, and Time Capsule) plus an update for my existing toy - iPhone.

Count me as pleased.

what you're getting ALL of them? :eek:

SignalfireWI
Jan 15, 2008, 03:18 PM
Personally I was a little bummed. Yes, the iPhone stuff was neat, but nothing earth-shattering. Apple TV still doesn't blow my skirt up.

Movie rentals... Hmmm, okay.

Time Capsule is useless (or pointless) unless it is RAID (save money buy a Buffalo TeraStation Pro)...

Nothing on the cinema displays? Does anyone else think the displays are rapidly loosing market share due to a lack of updates over the last 18+ months?

Shannighan
Jan 15, 2008, 03:19 PM

Count me as pleased.

whats next tuesday?

@signalfile

i think theres little to no market for the cinema displays (except for people who are all things apple with alot of money)

they are way behind in LCD tech (still 700:1 contrast ratio)
no iSight (no big deal, but expected)
insanely expencive! $900 for a 23" CD or $550 for a 24" samsung with a higher contrast ratio, more features? etc.

there should atlease have been a price drop

OMG THEY MOVED THE ITUNES BUTTON ON THE IPHONE! WTF! IM GOING TO BE SO CONFUSED NOW!

kudukudu
Jan 15, 2008, 03:19 PM
As for stuff that DIDN'T get talked about:

Are you saying this because there were no desktop updates at MWSF? Apple just updated the Imacs in August 2007 and silently updated the Mac Pro last week (which was definitely long overdue for a refresh), presumably because they wanted MWSF to stay consumer oriented.

anotherarunan
Jan 15, 2008, 03:22 PM
Nothing on the cinema displays? Does anyone else think the displays are rapidly loosing market share due to a lack of updates over the last 18+ months?

i agree. I think it would have made sense to drop them in price in line with the mac pro update...and they didnt

so i then thought there was something new and radical at macworld...and no.

only thing i can think of now, is that they will get an update alongside a mac mini update (whenever that happens) because IMO they are starting to look very overpriced!

vixapphire
Jan 15, 2008, 03:29 PM
While I thought the movie rental idea is a good one, the pricing is way off-base.

Why should I have to pay $4 to rent a new-release movie I can only watch within a 24 hour window, when I can go to Blockbuster, pay the same $4, and watch the film over several days if I want to (grace period included)?

For my $4 at Blockbuster, I pay for the real estate, the electricity, and all the employees working there, not to mention use of the little plastic disc, and the company gets some profit to boot. If Apple wants to convince me that they need the same amount of money just to park the compressed file on a server somewhere, they'll have to try a little harder. This pricing scheme reeks...

I see an iPhone-like price reduction in the near future, when the rental idea stalls out of the gate. People aren't that stupid, Stevo.

darkpaw
Jan 15, 2008, 03:30 PM
Not overly excited about the keynote.

I got a 17" MBP 2.6GHz back in December, and it's fine for Logic Pro 8 and Lightwave 3D on the move.

I don't see how I would justify a $1799 thin laptop that's missing some necessary ports (FireWire 400/800, Ethernet (yes, I know there's a $29 adapter doodad)). Besides, how much will it cost in the UK? (The internet is being too slow to check...)

As Steve Jobs said when he announced the iPhone in the UK, "It costs more to do business over here". Yes, which is why the $20 iPod touch apps update is 12.99 over here, instead of 10.20 which is what the exchange rate demands. Even with some made up tax, it's another example of "rip-off Britain".

dpaanlka
Jan 15, 2008, 03:32 PM
Everyone is harping on the MacBook Air because of it's lack of ports or an optical drive, but at the end of the day people are still going to want to buy it. It's a nice product.

I think its very reasonably priced by the way - compare that to other machines in the class.

kudukudu
Jan 15, 2008, 03:32 PM
i agree. I think it would have made sense to drop them in price in line with the mac pro update...and they didnt

I agree with you. The specifications of, say, the Dell 3008WFP really blow the 30" ACD out of the water: newer panel, every connection technology you could ever think of, etc.

overcast
Jan 15, 2008, 03:37 PM
Rentals should be $2 MAX.

G4DP
Jan 15, 2008, 03:40 PM
200 for a 500GB External drive - haha, good one Steve!

John Purple
Jan 15, 2008, 03:40 PM
Not overly excited about the keynote.

Yes, which is why the $20 iPod touch apps update is 12.99 over here, instead of 10.20 which is what the exchange rate demands. Even with some made up tax, it's another example of "rip-off Britain".

It's even worse on the continent: EUR 2,268 excl. VAT in Germany which equals $ 3,356 for a standard MBP 17" (US store: $ 2,799)

BTW $ 2,112 excl. VAT for MBA in Europe !!! Ridiculous.

breadesign
Jan 15, 2008, 03:41 PM
... The iPhone is a great piece of kit, but this software update is a great disappointment. Generally I know where I am, so the psuedo GPS thing is something I can't see myself using (and to be honest if I didn't know where I was, then I'm pretty damn sure that there wouldn't be any O2 coverage anyway!).

What would have been great was simple functionality... like if someone texts you a number, I'd like to save it to an existing (or new) contact. Similarly I might like to text (or email) someone one of my contacts numbers.

I'm sure some people will look on it as nitpicking, but these things are 'normal' on most phones. Frankly moving icons around comes a poor second to basic user friendliness.

-end of whinge

darkpaw
Jan 15, 2008, 03:44 PM
Besides, how much will it cost in the UK?
Ah, starting at 1,199, which is... $2,352.62, or $553.62 more. Rip. Off. Unless there's a new tax that means you have to add 30% to everything? :mad:

toke lahti
Jan 15, 2008, 04:03 PM
These I'm missing:

1) No blu-ray
2) No eSata (with bootable + s.m.a.r.t.)
3) No hdcp+hdmi
4) Not breaking 8bit barrier with screens (16bit dvi, hdmi, udi or display port)
5) No 17" mbp with led backlight
6) No acd with hdcp/16bit dvi/hdmi/udi/display port

oh well, I was waiting for these also a year ago...

MBA seems to be quite cool, but display resolution is so low.
It has less hardware than MB, but higher price...

They crippled TM to work with APextreme + usb-drives and reason seems to sell TimeCapsules.
Btw, upgrading TC from 500GB to 1TB costs $200, upgrading MP's harddrive from 500GB to 1TB costs $300. Well, maybe MP's drives are not "server grade"...

Popeye206
Jan 15, 2008, 04:04 PM
What I loved.... Apple TV update and Time Capsule was a nice surprise!

What I'm happy about.... the iPhone update! Nice! (but see below)

What is nice but I can't use... MacBook Air. Cool... expensive, but cool.

Disappointments... $20 iPod Touch Update? WTF? That one came from nowhere??? 24 hours to watch a movie... Lame! I really think it should be 72 hours at least... then it would ROCK! And back to the iphone update... what about copy and paste? Erasing multiple emails? Please be soon!!!

Overall... a nice job by Apple... I think it's all a step in the right direction, but as with most Apple things... 1.0 is cool... 2.0 is kick-butt and worth it... speaking of which... time to get an AppleTV. :-)

MT37
Jan 15, 2008, 04:05 PM
So what was announced other then MacBook Air, the updates for iPhone and iPod Touch, and that external harddrive thing?

PeteyKohut
This has to be one of the worst Macworld keynotes ever....and there were a couple of stinkers. I mean....where are the new MacBook Pros? Where is a new Mini? Where is an AppleTV with an OPTICAL DRIVE! Nowhere to be seen. What do we get? A new laptop where they charge us more and give us less. I mean...when was the last time Apple shipped a computer without Firewire??? Please! Hell...they should have saved the Mac Pro announcement for today, to add SOMETHING to the awful show. Maybe then my portfolio wouldn't have taken the dive it did. Come on, Steve, is this the best you can do? Where are these new Apple/Intel devices??? My biggest disappointment is the lack of Blu-Ray though. I mean, no new iPod? No new iPhone. I mean....I don't need anything HUGE, just some storage increases. Bad....bad bad bad.

PeteyKohut
This has to be one of the worst Macworld keynotes ever....and there were a couple of stinkers. I mean....where are the new MacBook Pros? Where is a new Mini? Where is an AppleTV with an OPTICAL DRIVE! Nowhere to be seen. What do we get? A new laptop where they charge us more and give us less. I mean...when was the last time Apple shipped a computer without Firewire??? Please! Hell...they should have saved the Mac Pro announcement for today, to add SOMETHING to the awful show. Maybe then my portfolio wouldn't have taken the dive it did. Come on, Steve, is this the best you can do? Where are these new Apple/Intel devices??? My biggest disappointment is the lack of Blu-Ray though. I mean, no new iPod? No new iPhone. I mean....I don't need anything HUGE, just some storage increases. Bad....bad bad bad.

kurt.mac
Jan 15, 2008, 04:07 PM
Reactions -

Macbook air

Pros
- Smallest laptop yet
- touch pad
- lite

Cons
- EXTREMELY TO MUCH- 1200 more that any one expected
- 64GB to 80GB hard drive, thats what i partition my boot camp on, thats what my DOG eats for breakfast
- 1.6GHz... piss poor, your lucky to run word on that
- OPTIONAL super drive, what the hell is that, having to plug something the size of a macbook air onto it just to watch a dvd, WTF., optional.. ur i think that EVERYONE needs a superdrive, if not, say good bye to installing software

Overall, i think the macbook air is so over priced and doesnt give what everyone needs, power. I dont think i will buy something just because it look good, remember the old saying

" Dont judge a book by its cover"

i shall reword this to

" Dont judge a macbook by its cover"

Overall = 3 out of 10

Time Capsule

Pros
- Airport and external time machine hd all in one

Con

Overall= 8/10

Popeye206
Jan 15, 2008, 04:09 PM
... The iPhone is a great piece of kit, but this software update is a great disappointment. Generally I know where I am, so the psuedo GPS thing is something I can't see myself using (and to be honest if I didn't know where I was, then I'm pretty damn sure that there wouldn't be any O2 coverage anyway!).

Not to be a pain, but the phuedo GPS is like the coolest thing for people like me that travel... now I'll be able to find myself with one click. I love that feature!

What I thought was missing was Multiple Delete for email and copy and paste. I really wished they we're in this update... the rest I'm very happy about! Besides... this is the only phone I've ever had that has any upgrades! That alone is cool! My iPhone just keeps getting better! :-)

WildPalms
Jan 15, 2008, 04:10 PM
iPhone and Touch: Stay jailbroken.

MBA: Sexy but no use to me.

The rest: Meh...

That pretty much summarizes my feelings too :(

adouglas2001
Jan 15, 2008, 04:11 PM
Everyone is harping on the MacBook Air because of it's lack of ports or an optical drive, but at the end of the day people are still going to want to buy it. It's a nice product.

I agree. It's a machine for a particular kind of user, one who values portability above all else. Looked at that way instead of from the "gee, it lacks...." point of view, it makes a lot of sense.

What often gets lost in these wish-list, "it should be easy to do THIS" discussions is the reality that all machines are compromises. What we get is driven by a lot of factors far beyond what is theoretically possible in a perfect world. Parts availability, cost of manufacture, market forces, engineering tradeoffs, etc. etc.

You need ports and an internal optical drive? You'll just have to live with a chassis big enough to hold them. Like that oh-so-CLUNKY (I mean it's a whole INCH thick! Horrors!), terribly obsolescent, dinosaur-like MacBook Pro. :rolleyes:

WildPalms
Jan 15, 2008, 04:12 PM

Count me as pleased.

You're easily pleased... I have a piece of wool my cat likes to play with but I'm sure she wont mind sharing with you...:p

gkarris
Jan 15, 2008, 04:14 PM
Happy for my :apple:TV.

I'm glad Apple has decided to return to the sub-note market - great job Apple!

Popeye206
Jan 15, 2008, 04:16 PM
One thing I think people need to keep in mind about the MB Air... it's NOT a replacement laptop or a replacement workstation!

Stop looking for the big power and flexibility! It's a product designed for the road warrior. Someone that is always on the road and needs a light but functional laptop will find the Air useful and not a bad value compared to others on the market in the category.

People should look at the MB Air as a technology demonstration of whats possible and what will come in the future to more laptops... I'm guessing the next MB's and MB Pros are going to be thinner and have solid state drives as an option.

All I'm saying is keep it in perspective... the MB Air is NOT FOR EVERYONE!

gr8ful
Jan 15, 2008, 04:23 PM
I agree with 'CWallace', I'm pleased with what Apple released today. A few minor gripes, but pleased overall. I believe many of you are suffering from "overhype hangover".

Had this been an unannounced unveiling of new products and software by Apple without all of the pre-hype, I think many of you would not be as harsh. But with months to hope, wish, and speculate and given the vivid imaginations of those in this forum, you were doomed to be disappointed.

Lycanthrope
Jan 15, 2008, 04:24 PM
I thought the best was the Mac Pro spec changes, I don't see why they did that last week? I though they were leaving space for some life-changing device, didn't happen.

I would quite like the NAS Airport though...

"There's something in the Air" - smells like ******** to me :D

John Purple
Jan 15, 2008, 04:24 PM
One thing I think people need to keep in mind about the MB Air... it's NOT a replacement laptop or a replacement workstation!

Stop looking for the big power and flexibility! It's a product designed for the road warrior. Someone that is always on the road and needs a light but functional laptop will find the Air useful and not a bad value compared to others on the market in the category.

People should look at the MB Air as a technology demonstration of whats possible and what will come in the future to more laptops... I'm guessing the next MB's and MB Pros are going to be thinner and have solid state drives as an option.

MBA is ok for whoever wants one. It's nice, light etc. etc.
Nevertheless it does not help those of us who were hoping for all that other stuff that is overdue.

synth3tik
Jan 15, 2008, 04:26 PM
"There is some hot in the air"

As in Hot air

darkpaw
Jan 15, 2008, 04:27 PM
I hate to labour the point, but the Apple TV just got a price drop of $70 from $299 to $229, yet the UK price is still 199! Or - to put it another way and point out the pricing discrepancy - twice the price of the US version!

Couple this with the fact that you can't use the new movie rental features over here until "later this year", I can't see anyone buying an Apple TV in the UK for some time.

Masquerade
Jan 15, 2008, 04:32 PM
Reactions -

Macbook air

Pros
- Smallest laptop yet
- touch pad
- lite

Cons
- EXTREMELY TO MUCH- 1200 more that any one expected
- 64GB to 80GB hard drive, thats what i partition my boot camp on, thats what my DOG eats for breakfast
- 1.6GHz... piss poor, your lucky to run word on that
- OPTIONAL super drive, what the hell is that, having to plug something the size of a macbook air onto it just to watch a dvd, WTF., optional.. ur i think that EVERYONE needs a superdrive, if not, say good bye to installing software
Overall= 8/10

More Cons:
1 speaker under keyboard (mono)
USB not powered enough (superdrive from apple uses a special controller)
no audio jack
no composite out from the tsr jack
no thumb scanner for safety (this is a mobility notebook)

not tablet transformation :/ (ok... just not happening)

John Purple
Jan 15, 2008, 04:37 PM
SJ announced 4 m iPhones sold. I believe I read some days ago that 5 m have been expected??
Maybe I'm wrong. But if not, we learned today that iPhone and Apple TV aren't doing well. Apple should refocus on their core business before to many Mac customers leave disappointed.

GoCubsGo
Jan 15, 2008, 04:37 PM
Well considering I just bought a 30" ACD less than 6 months ago I do believe I'm happy there were no updates. I would have bought at that time regardless but it always makes us feel better right?
Could care less about the silly MacBook Air but I am not in the market for another portable.
I think the best is the Apple TV. I mean seriously. They did all that and didn't require you to get new hardware. Good one for Apple.

wHo_tHe
Jan 15, 2008, 04:38 PM
Overall, disappointing.

From the MacRumors live update (thanks guys), there was waaaaaay too much dull stuff about movies /snore Agreed.

Someone needs to ask Steve (the nouveau movie and entertainment mogul) the same thing he once asked John Sculley:

"Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling cartoons or do you want to change the world?"

xbigman15x
Jan 15, 2008, 04:39 PM
Will there an update to the macbook soon or should i buy one right now, i am disappointed in the mba

John Purple
Jan 15, 2008, 04:40 PM
Agreed.

Someone needs to ask Steve (the nouveau movie and entertainment mogul) the same thing he once asked John Sculley:

"Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling cartoons or do you want to change the world?"

That's great!

Matiek
Jan 15, 2008, 04:41 PM
I really liked Time capsule, I'm buying one.

I liked the MBA, too. I thought it was a really interesting notebook, it's just not the product I'm shopping for. I think that the price for what it is, is really awesome. The other notebooks like the MBA are priced much higher.

the apple tv updates and price drop are good news but...I think the itunes movie rentals are a big disappointment. Netflix is coming out with an LG set top device that's going to stream videos from Netflix for the subscription price. You can already watch unlimited online movies at Netflix as it is. I wish apple had aligned with Netflix to do something similar. If apple offered a subscription service I would sign up and buy an apple tv. Oh, well, I'll just buy the LG box when it comes out instead.

John Purple
Jan 15, 2008, 04:42 PM
Will there an update to the macbook soon or should i buy one right now, i am disappointed in the mba

See the Buyer's Guide on top of this page :o

snberk103
Jan 15, 2008, 04:43 PM

I'm not the target market for the MBA, and I suspect most of us on MR aren't either. We like our Macs for more 'technical' reasons. So while I can appreciate the technology and looks of an MBA, I would never buy one for myself - it doesn't do what I need it to do. However.... My wife, who is a road warrior, is starting to sound intrigued specifically because it had "less". Less size, Less weight. Less energy consumption (longer battery life).

Harddrive specs? She uses not quite half of her existing 80gigs. CPU specs - Does it run Word? Safari? MSN Messenger? Optical Drive? I'm the only one who uses it (I'm her IT dept). Firewire? Same as the optical drive.

She sees her MBP as a tool with which to research, and to write, and to play the occasional song while researching and writing. And solitaire. She is also a missing demographic in Apple's market. Look at the airport lounges full of Mac users. The majority are men and likely in a media or tech field. Not all, but a majority.

For my wife (and others like her) the specs that matter to her are weight - she travels with carry-on luggage only - even for 1 or 2 week trips. Size - she is not a lumberjack - that 1 kg savings over her MBP is *huge*. Does it run the non-media centric apps that are her livelihood? Yes.

The deal breaker for her was the ethernet port. Still is if she can't use it and a USB memory stick simultaneously. Maybe I'll get her current MBP in a year when Apple puts out Rev B of the MBA....

robshort
Jan 15, 2008, 04:44 PM
Still. No. Flash. On. My. Iphone.

W. T. F??!

Shannighan
Jan 15, 2008, 04:45 PM
SJ announced 4 m iPhones sold. I believe I read some days ago that 5 m have been expected??
Maybe I'm wrong. But if not, we learned today that iPhone and Apple TV aren't doing well. Apple should refocus on their core business before to many Mac customers leave disappointed.

for a single phone to sell 4million, i think thats amazing!

rim only has 20% more smartphone holding and think of all the versions that it has and how many years has the blackberry been around? atleast 5, problaby way more then that.

Asu
Jan 15, 2008, 04:48 PM
Waiting for a mid range upgradeable desktop for years. Something between the mini and the pro. Still using my maxed out CUBE withe the Giga processor upgrade and stuff.

REALLY REALLY hankering for a backlit apple keyboard for EONS! using the same backlighting features as on the laptop keyboards. If they can do it on the laptops why don't they do it on the keyboards?

Time capsule is a nice product, it won't replace my Infrant Readynas though.

Gloor
Jan 15, 2008, 04:52 PM
Can somebody tell me why there was no update or price drop on ACD? Why is the PRO market left to the most critical point and then updated? Mac Pro is the best example. Its a brilliant machine now but 2 weeks ago? Some of the parts were 2 years old and they still charged the same amount of money for it. Dell, HP etc. are releasing new and updated displays whilst Apple ...........sleeps?

eric55lv
Jan 15, 2008, 04:54 PM
. Although i was dissapointed with one thing...NO "ONE MORE THING".....:eek:

I know they always do that

G4DP
Jan 15, 2008, 04:57 PM
Can somebody tell me why there was no update or price drop on ACD? Why is the PRO market left to the most critical point and then updated? Mac Pro is the best example. Its a brilliant machine now but 2 weeks ago? Some of the parts were 2 years old and they still charged the same amount of money for it. Dell, HP etc. are releasing new and updated displays whilst Apple ...........sleeps?

It's not just the displays. The MacPro was still left a little short. Don't get me wrong, they are brilliant machines, my 2.8x8 is brilliant, but only 2GB RAM is a kick in the teeth for a Pro workstation.

Especially when this MacBookFart comes with 2GB as standard. Having said that Steve priority is purely creating products for the Disney store now.

Shame really.

Kashchei
Jan 15, 2008, 04:58 PM

Quite right! I've been worried since the switch to Intel. Now that Apple is competing head to head with other PC makers, they need to update their product lines at a faster rate (ideally at the same rate as their competitors). Instead, they seem to have taken a step backwards and have decided to update less frequently, which makes little to no sense to me. AAArgh!!!!!

yellow
Jan 15, 2008, 04:59 PM
Hee-hee.. I was just watching the MBA guided tour on the Apple site and they made sure to tell you that it ships with Mac OS X Leopard and iLife 08.

First thought.. I would NOT want to be trying to make movies or DVDs on that thing.

Second thought.. I sure hope that I'd be smart enough to order a SuperDrive with it so I can reinstall the OS or burn those DVDs. :)

They should really just jack the price up $100 and make you opt out of getting one with the unit during the config process.

Gloor
Jan 15, 2008, 05:02 PM
It's not just the displays. The MacPro was still left a little short. Don't get me wrong, they are brilliant machines, my 2.8x8 is brilliant, but only 2GB RAM is a kick in the teeth for a Pro workstation.

Especially when this MacBookFart comes with 2GB as standard. Having said that Steve priority is purely creating products for the Disney store now.

Shame really.

Actually, you buy ram from OWC or Crucial and you are set. The price of MP is really good when compared to HP or Dell so I think the MP now is fantastic. What bothers me is the fact that they upgrade one thing but not the other that goes with it. (ACD) Do they really want us to get HP, Dell or other brilliant LCDs? I'll wait 2 more weeks and then will get MP with A display. Probably 30" HP

breadesign
Jan 15, 2008, 05:05 PM
Still. No. Flash. On. My. Iphone.

W. T. F??!

... oh yes forgot that... another strike!

vixapphire
Jan 15, 2008, 05:05 PM
I think the best is the Apple TV. I mean seriously. They did all that and didn't require you to get new hardware. Good one for Apple.

that's only because it was a largely useless p.o.s. product out of the gate, and they've only just gotten around to "repurposing" it in the itunes rental scheme.

vixapphire
Jan 15, 2008, 05:08 PM
for a single phone to sell 4million, i think thats amazing!

rim only has 20% more smartphone holding and think of all the versions that it has and how many years has the blackberry been around? atleast 5, problaby way more then that.

yes, 5 million were expected, so without saying it outright, steve admits the iphone has not performed as expected.

note also his omission of the two biggest iphone news items: the price drop shortly after release, and the big "F.U." and subsequent backtrack concerning unlocking the phones.

of course, he's within his right to try and accentuate the positive...:apple:

jackc
Jan 15, 2008, 05:09 PM
Randy Newman sucks.

Schmoe0013
Jan 15, 2008, 05:11 PM
Time capsule is worth looking into.

I think apple is going to make a LOT of money on the renting of movies, and i really like the idea!

iphone update is very nice, google maps wins again!

macbook air... i could see getting it if i had a decked out mac pro with dual 30 inch..

for a stand alone laptop with no other computer... hard to convince me to buy it.

Matiek
Jan 15, 2008, 05:11 PM
This is hilarious everyone is so upset that the MBA wasn't the product that they thought it should be. Everyone that's upset about it needs to understand that they weren't it's intended demographic. The MBA is going after the hardcore road warriors that want a notebook that doesn't take up much space, or add weight to their brief cases. In this market the MBA has a much lower price tag than any of the other ultra thin notebooks.

If you don't believe me compare it to the sony TZ or any of the thin thinkpads. It's price and style are going after those laptops.

SuperBrown
Jan 15, 2008, 05:12 PM
REALLY REALLY hankering for a backlit apple keyboard for EONS! using the same backlighting features as on the laptop keyboards. If they can do it on the laptops why don't they do it on the keyboards?

I could not agree more.

Mushrooshi
Jan 15, 2008, 05:13 PM
I was hoping for a graphics card addition to the Macbook Plastic.

Stori
Jan 15, 2008, 05:13 PM
Pretty much standard procedure from apple. Although i was dissapointed with one thing...NO "ONE MORE THING".....:eek:

apart from that, expect the usual complaints...and take a look at the price of a macbookair with a SSD! :eek:

im happy though, my SR macbook is still top of the range! and justifys me buying it in december :D

I was looking forward to finding a replacement for my aging 12" PB but the Macbook Air is not that replacement... Size is the factor and all the 13" Apples are too big to lug around on a regular basis irespective of weight.

....and If you think that US prices are bad, look at what I would have to pay....

13" Macbook Air 1.6 80gig drive $A2499 ($US2200) actual US price $US1799
13" Macbook Air1.8 64 gig solid state A$4438 ($US3900) actual US price3098

ie a whopping 22-26% more......... of course it comes with free shipping....and as included in price, they must be shipping from the Planet Apple , somewhere outside the Galaxyor maybe the Australian prices were just pulled "out of the air' ;)

Matiek
Jan 15, 2008, 05:20 PM
Compare the MBA to this sony notebook with similar specs:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644507782&parentCategoryId=16154&XID=O:sony%20tz:dg_vinb_gglsrch

weg
Jan 15, 2008, 05:23 PM
the apple remote is an optional extra! like the superdrive, theres an optional extra ethernet USB adapter.

The price of the "Superdrive" ($99) is the real revolution. I've paid more than twice as much just for replacing the Combodrive of my Powerbook G4 with a Superdrive...

Now if Apple would start charging reasonable prices for RAM...

Mal
Jan 15, 2008, 05:39 PM
Rentals should be $2 MAX.

Show me one other place you can get good quality online downloaded rentals on-demand with instant start for $2, and then come back and complain.

I love the idiocy of the moaning in this thread, from people's own created ideas of what should be, instead of being pleased with the great new stuff that did come out.

And for those moaning about the MBP, it's likely that they will be updated quietly next week now that new chips are available. Why would Steve want to take away from his big deal with a minor bump?

jW

ncfuser
Jan 15, 2008, 05:42 PM
I agree with the people that are not happy.
Almost feels like Steve and Co. didn't get some of the things they wanted to done in time.
Such has 3G for the iPhone, TouchScreen, Blu-Ray, to name a few.

Out of the "4" topics, only two are worthwhile.
1. Wireless HDD -- Which I like. I am looking for a external HDD for my HD Camcorder video.
2. Thin laptop -- I really don't care for. A laptop without a CD/DVD drive is kinda silly. Does anyone really need something that tiny for that much $$$

The other two are not worth a Macworld Keynote and they feel like fillers to me.

So I would have to say s sub par day that didn't live up to the hipe.

:apple:

MaxRady
Jan 15, 2008, 05:49 PM
Everyone seems to be complaining that they didnt get what they wanted from Apple and pointing out a lot of negatives, but the positives: new iPhone apps, Apple TV price drop, new MBA, iTunes Movie Rentals, plus more. Lets be honest, new iPhone already, i mean the thing just came out, and if you are really that bored with your iPhone that soon, well then i just dont know what to tell you.

SimonMW
Jan 15, 2008, 05:50 PM
still 700:1 contrast ratio

In the context that manufacturers state such figures, this is meaningless. All it really boils down to is how white their whites are so they can claim a high contrast ratio, even though in the real world it means sod all.

Now what would really get me interested is a flat screen that displays truly black blacks.

DESTOROYER
Jan 15, 2008, 05:52 PM
To all of you saying Blu-Ray, do you really think Apple is going to put that in their computers if they are trying to get digital distribution to work? I just don't see it happening. The Air is nice, but I think it should have been a little bit cheaper and have a user replaceable battery. It might be my next computer, because I need a laptop, and I don't like the design of the Macbook. Also, I see the same vision that Apple sees and agree with them that in a few more years, you won't need a CD/DVD Drive. The only thing I was wanting was for Steve to come out with his One Last Thing, and show us something truly amazing, but there is always WWDC!

DakotaGuy
Jan 15, 2008, 05:59 PM
The Apple TV received a nice update and I am excited to see how movie rental will work out for them. It is also nice to see they are offering HD movies. I am not going to debate 720p versus 1080p because enough people are debating that, but considering bandwidth limitations it is nice to see HD being offered and 720p looks pretty darn good.

I suppose the Time Capsule will be good for some people. It is not something I need, but it is a good idea for those who need it. I think the Airport Express is long overdue for an update, but I guess it still does what it is suppose to do.

The rest was not very exciting. I am going to disagree with a few people on these message boards, but I don't think the MacBook Air is going to be a good seller. I think once people get past the, "wow it's thin" factor they will continue to purchase MacBooks which are a much better value.

SuperBrown
Jan 15, 2008, 05:59 PM
Compare the MBA to this sony notebook with similar specs:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644507782&parentCategoryId=16154&XID=O:sony%20tz:dg_vinb_gglsrch

Whoa! Had no idea sub-notebooks cost that much. :eek:

If apple is trying to break into that market then maybe they do have something in MBA.

I think my disappointment (and that of many others) may stem from the fact that they really didn't come out with anything for me.

TV untethered from a computer + price drop + iTunes movie rentals is interesting. So is Time Capsule. Not earth-shaking enough, though, to make me run to the apple store this instant.

And $20 for iPod touch software. I don't own one, but I'd feel like I got screwed if I did.

toke lahti
Jan 15, 2008, 06:20 PM
Now what would really get me interested is a flat screen that displays truly black blacks.
I also waited for ACD with led backlight.
So which comes first ADC with led or xraid with sata disks?
And what year?

toke lahti
Jan 15, 2008, 06:22 PM
To all of you saying Blu-Ray, do you really think Apple is going to put that in their computers if they are trying to get digital distribution to work? I just don't see it happening.
Apple also claims to be pro choise for pro video content creation.
Can you imagine pro video without blu-ray in 2008?
Once again pro choise is no choise...
Next dissapointment time will be wwdc at summer?
Maybe they don't update xraid to make demand for TimeCapsule also ;)

Ardchoille
Jan 15, 2008, 08:31 PM
I find the comments and whining on this forum absolutely amazing. Surely a Windows forum would have fewer complaints about Apple.

I don't own an iPhone; I have no use for Time Capsule; and I don't want to rent movies. However, I am happy for those people who find these products useful.

I use my computer basically for email and writing reports (still doing them in Appleworks!), and I travel around a lot with my iBook. The MacBook Air really interests me. I don't need a powerful chip for that. I don't need a lot of hard drive space for that. For me, Air is quite tempting, although I might get a MacBook Black instead until the bugs are worked out of Air (price with 2 gigs is roughly the same for the two machines). I am prepared to pay the same for less because I know I am paying for the latest and new toys cost more.

It seems that many of the complainers expected Jobs to phone them first to ask what they wanted. They also want the very latest technology for very little money.

Thanks, Apple. Enjoyed today!

Wizard of Woz
Jan 15, 2008, 08:32 PM
Ahahaha. While some of you have some true criticisms, (and correct IMO) of the keynote, some of you are acting like spoilt little children.

Personally I enjoyed the keynote, except for the $20 iPod touch upgrade, which is a bit of a slap in the face.

The MBA is a complimentary machine to me. I have a C2D 20' iMac on my desk, but need something ultra-portable and light to carry at school. Something that could fit in a tiny little satchel - even a MB is too big - therefore the MBA is perfect for me. It's a machine to take notes, write reports etc on. I'd simply transfer work off using my 2GB Flash drive.

I would like to see an app that could use the touch gestures to draw diagrams - that would be great for Science, Maths etc.

JesLam07
Jan 15, 2008, 09:03 PM
Well, MacBook Air didn't really impress me. I would never have any real use for it, but obviously Apple thinks someone will since they have it. And I'm sure someone will. I could sit here and type out everything that doesn't make me happy about it, but we all already know.

Overall, I wasn't really impressed. I'm happy with what I already have....for once.

Kashchei
Jan 15, 2008, 09:07 PM
Overall, I wasn't really impressed. I'm happy with what I already have....for once.

I'm not overly fond of cell phones in general, so the iPhone does nothing for me. I only need laptops occasionally when I do research work away from home. I can't remember when the last time Apple introduced an new product or even updated an existing product that made me think "I have to have that, where is my wallet!" This is a bad sign.

Aperture
Jan 15, 2008, 10:06 PM
My Thoughts:

A nice iPhone update, I wasn't expecting a new iPhone.. yet I wasn't surprised considering the entire firmware was leaked

The $20 on the Touch doesn't really matter to me because it seems like you are getting quite a bit of functionality out of it. Apple did a similar thing with the upgrade to wireless N on some notebooks, right?

iTunes movie rentals, Apple TV, & Time Capsule sound like a good idea but none of them truly appeal to me

Macbook Air: I'm really not sure I'd ever recommend this.. I know I am not the targeted audience but I'd much rather go for a MB and save a bunch of money or spend a few more hundred and get a MBP. I know it is an ultra portable and it therefore has limited ports, but they are just too limited for me. I don't think I could justify spending that much for so little. Edit: I've thought about it and I understand this is a niche market, it is meant to compete against the comparable IBM & Sony. In that regard, it is quite good.

I'm also not a fan of the black keyboard, it doesn't look right to me. The curvature of the design is excellent, though.

Either way, Macworld 08 was alright.. a little underwhelming compared to last year but I wasn't expecting anything groundbreaking. One thing that did annoy me is that the entire keynote was almost laid out for us prior to Steve Jobs taking the stage.. No surprises. Apple needs to do a better job keeping rumors low and leaks to a minimum.

CyberBob859
Jan 15, 2008, 10:34 PM
but I really thought the MacBook Air was going to be the "One more thing.." (which they didn't do.)

Since I was just thinking of upgrading my router from a Linksys to Airport Extreme, the announcement of Time Capsule was a welcome surprise. The pricing is pretty competitive when you consider what a 1 TB external firewire + Airport Extreme router would cost. (Although I do like the Drobo a lot, its pretty expensive once you add drives in it.) Time Capsule will be nice for Time Machine on both my iMac and MacBook.

Apple TV got off life support today. The iTunes movie rental announcement is HUGE, considering that ALL the major movie studios are onboard. It supports HD (720p is OK by me for now) and 5.1 surround sound, and doesn't require a computer for purchases or rentals. Too bad I don't have a widescreen HDTV, or I may actually buy one, but at least I can rent movies for my MacBook and/or iPod when I travel.

Since I don't own an iPhone or iPod Touch, the announcements here didn't do much for me. Tracking your location without a GPS is cool, and multiple messaging is fine, but to me, these are just evolutionary updates. Charging $20 for upgrading the iPod Touch is unfair, but might be related to accounting practices and reporting. I will be more excited about the iPhone and iPod Touch once the SDK comes out and third party apps are developed. (I want a SlingBox client.)

The MacBook Air is a really nice design. It shows what Apple is capable of pulling off. But, like a supermodel or Paris Hilton, they may nice to look at, but have limited usefulness beyond their outward appearance. You can't upgrade the hard drive, the processor is slower than what you can get on a MacBook Pro or even MacBook, and there are fewer ports to hook devices up to. The Air is the new fashion item for the rich and wannabe famous.

What I found interesting what WASN'T announced:

1) no 10.5.2 updates to fix Leopard bugs

2) no updates to MacBook or MacBook Pro. I REALLY thought those machines would get new slimmer designs and lose some weight (but not as radical as the MacBook Air), while retaining the current electronics.

3) nothing about the Mac Mini and any new updates.

But Steve Jobs did say at the end of the presentation that they still have 50 weeks to go for new announcements, so maybe something will happen with the other products during the year.

Overall, I would say it was an interesting MacWorld, but aside from Time Capsule and the movie rental announcement, there wasn't anything here that will make me buy new hardware right now.

aznkid25
Jan 15, 2008, 10:43 PM
Just imagine in September when Apple has the September ipod keynote, SJ will probably say something like this:"The MBA sales have been average this year, we think we can do better, and we want to make it more affordable for the holiday season, so we will be dropping the price $500 and now it will cost $1300.

smacsteve
Jan 15, 2008, 10:49 PM
I only have one thing to say

iPod touch + new apps = $20.

Heh. No.

R-Fly

If you have a touch, which I doubt, you'd be more than willing to get those updates for $20! It's a steal!

janitorC7
Jan 15, 2008, 10:52 PM
Overall I liked it but there were some obvious things lacking.

I think that there are somethings that were cut out, because they were not ready, I think that time-capsule was supposed to be part of a greater home integration kit.

JC7

smacsteve
Jan 15, 2008, 10:58 PM
It amazes me how many of you sound like little children that didn't get what you wanted for Christmas! And the only thing that blows my mind more is that you sit on this forum and talk about what Apple should have done as if you could make better decisions than SJ himself! If you had all of the data in front of you, which you don't, you wouldn't have the faintest idea what to do! So, get over the fact that Steve didn't give you his "Oh, one more thing" and the fact that the (insert your favorite product here) didn't get mentioned today. And know that Apple will release it when the time is right!

Oh yea, and get a life!

MacinDoc
Jan 15, 2008, 11:10 PM
I suppose those who do not want to pay for the new iPod touch apps also will not want to pay for OS X 10.6 when it comes out, or iWork and iLife '09. Those apps were not included with the product when it shipped, and they bought the product knowing that such apps were not included. These are just additional apps whose development costs Apple has to defray in some way, just as it charges for OS X and other software upgrades.

And nobody is forcing you to buy them if you don't think it's worth your $20.

I also suspect that those who purchased an iPod Touch in the last 2 weeks will likely be able to get the upgrade for a nominal fee.

mrkramer
Jan 15, 2008, 11:10 PM
I was very disappointed with the keynote. I have no need for an :apple:TV, I am slightly upset that the iPod touch update costs money. The time capsule may be interesting, but nothing I plan on getting anytime soon. I did get excited when the MacBook air was introduced, but then after the keynote when I was checking prices on the BTO parts to see how long until I would have enough money to buy it I realized that it had a glossy screen which I will never buy so what would have been an otherwise almost perfect powerbook 12" replacement was ruined.

smacsteve
Jan 15, 2008, 11:49 PM
I was very disappointed with the keynote. I have no need for an :apple:TV, I am slightly upset that the iPod touch update costs money. The time capsule may be interesting, but nothing I plan on getting anytime soon. I did get excited when the MacBook air was introduced, but then after the keynote when I was checking prices on the BTO parts to see how long until I would have enough money to buy it I realized that it had a glossy screen which I will never buy so what would have been an otherwise almost perfect powerbook 12" replacement was ruined.

I don't think this was meant to be a replacement for the 12" PowerBook that so many have been longing for. I think that we could still see a 13.3" MBP that would be better suited for a power user on the go. Remember that this is a consumer event and we could see something at WWDC or another event to bring back this long awaited item.

Zwhaler
Jan 16, 2008, 12:47 AM
1. No new iphone....just software updates

You didn't seriously expect Apple to realease a new iPhone today (after it went through years of development and has only been on the market for 6 months) did you? A new one is coming this year, just keep your pants on :)

Europe calling
Jan 16, 2008, 01:40 AM
The Macbook Air will be like a one night stand with a hot looking chickie.
Once you get to know her better you'll dump her because of what's missing! :D

Soschil
Jan 16, 2008, 05:29 AM

I think its very reasonably priced by the way - compare that to other machines in the class.

Well put. I for one want one in a bad way.

Since watching the keynote yesterday I've been mulling over how I use my iBook, and I don't really need more than a single USB and occasionally the DVI.

It's time for me to get a new laptop, and portability is a primary concern to me along with battery life. However I want a screen that's at least 13". I could carry around an extra lbs or 2, but I prefer not to. The MBA CPU is plenty fast for me and the HDD is big enough. I'll probably get the external superdrive too.
Yes, it is a bit pricey but I'm willing to pay. It'll have to wait though - I spent a ton of money traveling last year, so it'll be a while before I have the cash together. Just as well as I'd prefer to get a Rev B. :D

anotherarunan
Jan 16, 2008, 05:43 AM
The Macbook Air will be like a one night stand with a hot looking chickie.
Once you get to know her better you'll dump her because of what's missing! :D

LOL :p

On a side note, was it me or did SJ seem different, almost duller yday? Something just didnt seem right, or are we all just feeling the effects of a MASSIVELY overhyped keynote.

Almost like when you hype up a big football (soccer for you yanks) game between two massive teams only to see a 1-0 scrappy win. You get a result, but its just not as exciting as you wished it to be, even though it was the most likely result.

Jan 16, 2008, 10:31 AM
Well, then try to run Aperture on your PB. Good luck.

No money from me until MBP is state of the art. I'm not going to pay nearly $ 3.000 in January 2008 for a notebook without SSE4 and Blue-Ray.
I just sold my shares.

John:

My point was to ask the guy what exactly he does that demands that kind of firepower. Computers these days are overpowered for what 90% of the population does. However, Aperture is a perfect example of an application that needs more firepower... Thanks for pointing that out. It is a professional application that is useful, almost necessary, to professional photographers but a complete luxury for anyone else.

If you can justify the purchase of Aperture to manage images from your $10,000 mega-res SLR, then you can probably afford a desktop workstation to handle it... and write it off as a business expense.

But otherwise, I'm asking why does the poster in particular to whom I responded need more than that in a MacBook Air? Not because I want him to buy one. Clearly he could buy a MacBook or a MacBook Pro that better suits him. But you have to understand I see way too many people complaining every year that Apple hasn't produced the gadget to snatch up the money burning a hole in their pockets since... oh, a year ago when they bought that year's latest and greatest.

People say "I'm ready for a new computer" six months to a year after they just bought one... and I find that patently absurd when 90% of the time, the person speaking uses said computer for: internet, email, word processing, music and consumer photo/video.

Roessnakhan
Jan 16, 2008, 11:24 AM
The keynote had what I expected (talk of iPhone, iTunes, and MBP.) However, I didn't know about Time Capsule, which I must say is a cool little product if you don't currently own a router. Also really loved the updates to the :apple:tv.

Underwhelming keynote? Possibly, but one cannot say it did not at least deliver some interesting stuff.

jhartung
Jan 16, 2008, 12:02 PM
MacBook Air: Though it's pretty, the lack of a 12" screen, the RIDICULOUS fixed battery, and the sloggy speed were real disappointments. I've my PowerBook for 4 years now, and it looks like I'm not going to replace it anytime soon. I've talked to more people who want just a small, cheap little notebook.

ITunes rentals is OK, I guess--they just need to beef up the offerings.