PDA

View Full Version : Will Apple release a software update for MBP to make trackpad multi-touch ?

fiftydollarshoe
Jan 15, 2008, 02:32 PM
They should you know.... and for iBook and release a keyboard for the desktop range.........

darkpaw
Jan 15, 2008, 02:50 PM
Well, I certainly hope they do! I got my 17" MBP 2.6GHz just over a month ago, and I don't see how the trackpad hardware is any different. A software update would add those features easily.

Come on, Apple!

Udinpetot
Jan 15, 2008, 02:52 PM
please tell me that they ARE going to release a software update for tackpad
since im going to get MBP within this week
any suggestion whter i should wait or not?
how long u guys reckon before apple gona improve MBP?

Paix247
Jan 15, 2008, 02:54 PM
I say wait. I really want one as well, but they have the same latch, keyboard, and basic design of the Al Powerbook (which came out 5 years ago!). The magnetic latch and multi-touch will be coming very soon.

fiftydollarshoe
Jan 15, 2008, 03:01 PM
Well I just watched the guided tour for MacBook Air and the multi-touch gestures are fairly useless...... ie you can zoom in on a coverflow image in Finder with pinch and you can rotate a photo in iPhoto by swirling your fingers and you use 3 fingers, yes 3 fingers to swipe to the next photo or file in CoverFlow...... 3 fingers... try it... its not easy and kind of awkward.... you can enlarge text in Safari with the pinch and thats it !!! Nothing else.....!!

robbieduncan
Jan 15, 2008, 03:05 PM
Well, I certainly hope they do! I got my 17" MBP 2.6GHz just over a month ago, and I don't see how the trackpad hardware is any different.

Have you seen the hardware in each machine and actually have proof of this or is it simply unhelpful speculation?

CWallace
Jan 15, 2008, 03:10 PM
They should you know...and for iBook and release a keyboard for the desktop range...

I would think a multi-touch and a non-multi-touch trackpad would be physically different, so I do not believe a driver update will make it happen.

The next MBP and MB will most likely have them, though.

dwright1974
Jan 15, 2008, 04:45 PM
I would think a multi-touch and a non-multi-touch trackpad would be physically different, so I do not believe a driver update will make it happen.

The next MBP and MB will most likely have them, though.

So I am by no means a hardware engineer but surely it is a software thing? The software must currently detect one or two fingers on the trackpad and act accordingly, why not three, four or ten!?

Like I said, not a hardware engineer but I couldn't see why this could not be done by software.

Just my 2p's worth, I would like to see this functionality!

- D

Schmoe0013
Jan 15, 2008, 04:48 PM
not sure. But i bet you there will be different touchpads on the new revisions.

I just hope you have have to pay 20 bucks to update existing mbp's and such

matttrick
Jan 15, 2008, 04:51 PM
not sure. But i bet you there will be different touchpads on the new revisions.

I just hope you have have to pay 20 bucks to update existing mbp's and such

why would you hope for such a thing?

robbieduncan
Jan 15, 2008, 04:53 PM
So I am by no means a hardware engineer but surely it is a software thing? The software must currently detect one or two fingers on the trackpad and act accordingly, why not three, four or ten!?

I don't think the current pads can detect multiple locations/directions. They can tell how many fingers there are: but only if they are moving in the same direction or not moving

byeehaaw
Jan 15, 2008, 05:36 PM
the updates are cool but i wont cry about not having those features. i just really hope apple release 10.5.2 soon!

DarrenSW
Jan 15, 2008, 06:01 PM
MacWorld Airs were running a new build of OS X 10.5.1 (Build 982324) - will we see multi-touch for all trackpads in 10.5.2?

torpy
Jan 15, 2008, 09:25 PM
I don't think the current pads can detect multiple locations/directions. They can tell how many fingers there are: but only if they are moving in the same direction or not moving

Really? Then why does my MBP refuse to scroll properly if I move two fingers in opposite directions on the trackpad?

coolant113
Jan 15, 2008, 09:53 PM
I think it is a very good possibility that they will release some type of software for the current and possibly he previous version of laptops to make the trackpads multi-touch... the multi touch feature is really cool:apple::apple:

taybo20
Jan 15, 2008, 10:09 PM

True, but technically it is still multi-touch...

Blunk
Jan 15, 2008, 10:44 PM
IF they release the software update... I SAID IF!

It will cost money off course

TPALTony
Jan 16, 2008, 12:41 AM
Really? Then why does my MBP refuse to scroll properly if I move two fingers in opposite directions on the trackpad?

I agree.

A few simple tests.

1) Put as much of your thumb on the trackpad as possible. It won't scroll. That tells you that it really is detecting two distinct contacts, not just one "very large" contact. Sensible assumption: It's detecting two contact points.

2) Put two fingers on the trackpad and move them in the same direction. It will scroll. Expected behaviour. Baseline.

3) Put two fingers on the trackpad and move them in opposite directions. It will lurch and scroll in a random direction (down more often than up for what it's worth) but it won't scroll properly. Sensible assumption: It's detecting the two contact points (see #1) and is detecting them going in opposite directions rather than the same (see #2) and is confused as to what to do.

Sensible Conclusion: A software update would remove the confusion the trackpad is feeling in #3 and allow it to zoom, rotate, whatever made sense.

That said..... some of the gestures require 3 fingers per the MacBook Air demo. We have no way of testing that the trackpads on existing machines can detect three touch points. While it is reasonable to assume that software can easily detect this, it is not safe to assume that there is sufficient hardware.

</end geekfest> :)

t

mojohojo
Jan 16, 2008, 05:11 AM
i really hope its a software thats making it not work, hopefully they would release update later on.

it does appear to be multi-touch already. i think i read somewhere that it can support the 3-finger touch too?
if you put more than 2 fingers on the trackpad it doesnt respond.