Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I just bought my Touch about an hour ago. Will I need to pay the $20-? Not sure how Apple will know that my purchase was today as opposed to previously.

Thanks!

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
same question here, but I'm sure a lot of people iwll be wondering this... so I'm sure we'll find out :)

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
I have a very hard time believe this.

If that was the case then how would they update the Touches in the Apple store? Open the retail packaging to update?

I'd think that more likely if the iPod has never been registered with a computer then when you plug it will note that fact and perhaps install the latest firmware.

We'll see though, i obviously could be wrong!

Dale Sorel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
I just bought a Touch on January 1, and know I'd be within the 14 day return period when Macworld hit. I just got off the phone with an Apple rep who set me up so I will get a full credit for the new software.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I just bought my Touch about an hour ago. Will I need to pay the $20-? Not sure how Apple will know that my purchase was today as opposed to previously.

Thanks!

Did you buy it through Apple or through a reseller? If it is being shipped to you, I'd guess the software would already be loaded.

lucasban

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2006
I just bought a Touch on January 1, and know I'd be within the 14 day return period when Macworld hit. I just got off the phone with an Apple rep who set me up so I will get a full credit for the new software.

How did you go about this exactly? I bought mine on January 6th, do I just call and tell them my serial number? Is it tech support or billing?

jj.maclean

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2006
Vancouver, BC

I'd also love to know who you called. I also just got off the phone with Apple (iPod support) and was told rather bluntly that my options were to return it to Costco or pay the $20.

JJ

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Just did an online chat with an Apple Store rep. I asked him if I bought a Touch at Best Buy if I would have to pay $20 for the new software. He told me if it was bought after 12/27, the new software was free. But then he also told me that I should just buy it from them, online.

I think he was just trying to make the sale for the online store, but I got a weird vibe.

RuggerDoc

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
Just to let everyone know... I talked with Apple's customer service. You can only get the $20 credit if you bought it from the Apple Store or Apple.com. If you got it yesterday (like me) from Amazon, you're up ***** creek. That would involve returning it to Amazon (you have to pay for the return shipping).

I love how my Touch is <24 hours old and it's out of date already... fantastic!:mad:

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I bought mine today from Costco and I just hooked it up for the first time a few minutes ago on my Imac. My firmware was updated and it wants to charge me $20 even though it was purchased today.

How can I get in touch with Apple to get this resolved?

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Just to let everyone know... I talked with Apple's customer service. You can only get the $20 credit if you bought it from the Apple Store or Apple.com. If you got it yesterday (like me) from Amazon, you're up ***** creek. That would involve returning it to Amazon (you have to pay for the return shipping).

I love how my Touch is <24 hours old and it's out of date already... fantastic!:mad:

damnit, I'm out of luck then, since I bought my ipod touch from best buy. Guess I'll have to pay the 20 bucks now to get the new apps

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Just jailbreak it and get all the other apps along with the 5 official ones. 1.1.3 will get hacked eventually, so just use 1.1.2 and all the great stuff you can get for that until then.

And email Apple and tell them you're upset.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
my touch is at the 1.1.1 jailbreak right now just going to have to keep it there for the time being unless newer features come down the road that make jailbreaking useless

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I bit the bullet and bought the 8GB model online. It cost me about $18 more, since Best Buy and Circuit City are both having sales, but oh well.

I've always had really good experiences with Apple Customer Support so I just felt better about buying it online. Silly, I know...

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I bought my ITouch today from Costco. I wasn't expecting to have to pay the $20-, but I did. I called the Apple store and they said had I bought it from them they would discount the purchase price by $20- to compensate for the new apps. I was so surprised that it wasn't free if you bought your Ipod today, no matter where you bought it from.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida

it still plays music and shows videos and pictures and surf's the web just like its suppose to... how is it outta date?

you didnt see people complaining that their computers they bought a month before leopard came out complaining about their computer being out of date just because they couldn't have the newest OS for free

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
if the site said it comes with the apps at the time of your purchase, then you should get the apps. if they aren't there when you get it, you should call apple and demand to get them for free.

personally, i'm still trying to decide whether to get one or not.

slug420

macrumors regular
May 14, 2007
this is so weird...how are you supposed to know when any retailer's units have the updated software on them and when they are leftover stock without the apps?

why would apple charge for this at all? the only people they are charging are early adopters who you would think they want to reward..

macdude69

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
yeah... i got mine less than 2 weeks ago... just in case something lame like this would happen... since there was no rumors whatsoever on the ipod i figured i was safe...

can the guys who called apple and got the 'free' upgrade provide some more information? like what number did you call (1800-MYAPPLE?) and what exactly did you say?

also, how did you get to that online chat with an apple rep? I can't seem to find it anywhere...

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
also, how did you get to that online chat with an apple rep? I can't seem to find it anywhere...

Go to the iPod Touch page on the Apple Store website. The "chat" icon wasn't there until I moused around the phone number for a few seconds.

chat.jpg

macdude69

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
Go to the iPod Touch page on the Apple Store website. The "chat" icon wasn't there until I moused around the phone number for a few seconds.

chat.jpg

thanks, i had 'noscript' blocking whatever java that allowed that to show up

#
i bought the ipod Touch on Jan 2nd and i was wondering if i qualify for a free upgrade of the firmware
#
Cheryl: Yes you do.
#
You: ok, what do i have to do
#
Cheryl: Please call this number The number for Customer Service is 800-676-2775.
#
You: do i buy the upgrade before or after i call
#
Cheryl: Just another minute...
#
Cheryl: Please call first.
#
You: ok, thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.