PDA

View Full Version : is MacBook Air worth it?

bluedoggiant
Jan 15, 2008, 04:20 PM
I need a computer for school, laptop, i already have a desktop, and i need a laptop in emergency for school. I will also use it for other things.

The macbook air looks nice if i get it standard, but what bothers me is the lack of an optical drive, and the slow processor, i think i can try to deal with an 80gig HD, but not sure about the processor and optical drive, and upgrading the processor isnt a choice.

the macbook on the other hand is cheaper, packs more power into it.

connectingrodd
Jan 15, 2008, 04:21 PM
I need a computer for school, laptop, i already have a desktop, and i need a laptop in emergency for school. I will also use it for other things.

The macbook air looks nice if i get it standard, but what bothers me is the lack of an optical drive, and the slow processor, i think i can try to deal with an 80gig HD, but not sure about the processor and optical drive, and upgrading the processor isnt a choice.

if you must buy a mac lap top you would be wise to get a macbook over the macbook air

heatmiser
Jan 15, 2008, 04:23 PM
if you must buy a mac lap top you would be wise to get a macbook over the macbook air

Ditto. I can think of no reason for a student to buy an MBA over an MB. Macbooks made *two years ago* will have better specs than your Macbook Air, should you buy one.

synth3tik
Jan 15, 2008, 04:24 PM
The more and more I think about it. No. It's odd that it has a beefier processor, but can really only do casual internets and he like. I would say save your cash and get a MacBook instead.

cdd543
Jan 15, 2008, 04:48 PM
Get the macbook instead. More storage/ power and it is reliable. First revision could be bumpy for the air. What a dumb name by the way.
Plus you will have a nice chunk of $ for other things.

mick4394
Jan 15, 2008, 04:50 PM
In a word. No.

Nuks
Jan 15, 2008, 04:55 PM

I think you pretty much answered your own question. For you, no.

taficke
Jan 15, 2008, 05:33 PM
The MBA was a huge mistake on Apple's part. You can find many other laptops that are portable out there with better specs for less then half the price. If you must get a Mac product which i would recommend doing anyway, I would get the MacBook. I think you will be much happier and you can max it out and still pay less then the MBA as long as you don't buy apple RAM.

ucfgrad93
Jan 15, 2008, 05:36 PM
I think the MBA will only appeal to a relatively small set of people. Most, including you, would be better off getting a Macbook.

lshirase
Jan 15, 2008, 06:13 PM
i recently bought the 2.2ghz black macbook..and i don't regret it. the macbook air seems like a nice 2nd laptop...but it looks too fragile and the power / storage capacity is very disappointing.

bang for your buck: mb > mba

durability: mb > mba

battery life: mb = mba

power: mb > mba

storage: mb > mba

QCassidy352
Jan 15, 2008, 06:17 PM
Ditto. I can think of no reason for a student to buy an MBA over an MB. Macbooks made *two years ago* will have better specs than your Macbook Air, should you buy one.

There were no macbooks made 2 years ago. They came out in May 2006, and those were core duos (albeit at faster clocks).

you have a 2.8 Ghz imac for times when you need an optical drive, more power, and a bigger HD.

I'm not saying get the MBA, but people's knee-jerk negative reaction is getting annoying. In your case I think it could be a reasonable option.

connectingrodd4
Jan 15, 2008, 06:23 PM

is it worth it? not in a million years... this is bad bad value

jayeskreezy
Jan 15, 2008, 06:24 PM
too bad apple had to be the guinea pig for innovation...i predict a quick price drop just like the iphone and a surge in macbook sales :D

heatmiser
Jan 15, 2008, 06:27 PM
There were no macbooks made 2 years ago. They came out in May 2006, and those were core duos (albeit at faster clocks).

I'm referring to the Rev. B Macbooks from November 2006 (http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook). They were c2d, and even the lowest-end models were faster than the MBAs. This is a step backwards in processor power.

mick4394
Jan 15, 2008, 06:29 PM
too bad apple had to be the guinea pig for innovation...i predict a quick price drop just like the iphone and a surge in macbook sales :D

I wouldn't count on that one. The iPhone price drop was way out of character for Apple. Mac prices are, generally, static.

I'd be more worried about a Cube scenario with this one.

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 15, 2008, 06:50 PM

Sure just make sure you send it in every 6 months to have the top cover replaced. At this point, I don't see how you could be wise to buy a macbook. You would have to completely ignore the hundreds of thousands of complaints and NOTED defects.

heatmiser
Jan 15, 2008, 06:53 PM
Sure just make sure you send it in every 6 months to have the top cover replaced. At this point, I don't see how you could be wise to buy a macbook. You would have to completely ignore the hundreds of thousands of complaints and NOTED defects.

There are at least as many defects in the Macbook Pro line as there are in the Macbook line. Pretty much any complaint you find in one model has an equivalent (or equally annoying defect) in the other.

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 15, 2008, 06:55 PM
There are at least as many defects in the Macbook Pro line as there are in the Macbook line. Pretty much any complaint you find in one model has an equivalent (or equally annoying defect) in the other.

Exactly. Thats why I'm keeping my hard earned dollars, until Apple steps up to the plate and brings back the TiBook. :D

connectingrodd4
Jan 15, 2008, 06:56 PM

Oh I agree with you completely the macbook is very flawed, I am with this statement though having to choose the lesser of two evils. The macbook air very likely will have all the durability problems of the macbook and more combined with a horrible price tag. If you are going to buy a flimsy computer at least don't pay too much for it:D

bluedoggiant
Jan 15, 2008, 07:40 PM
i recently bought the 2.2ghz black macbook..and i don't regret it. the macbook air seems like a nice 2nd laptop...but it looks too fragile and the power / storage capacity is very disappointing.

i beg to differ, the mba is MUCH more durable

heatmiser
Jan 15, 2008, 07:42 PM

How do you figure? The MBP's also aluminum, and even though it's slightly thicker, it still dents like crazy. With an even thinner shell, I can't see the MBA being as strong as the MBP, nevermind the MB (which is already more durable than the MBP).

iW00t
Jan 15, 2008, 08:17 PM

Indeed, it is extremely resilient against retaining its form factor and shape under real world conditions!!

David G.
Jan 15, 2008, 08:22 PM

Just remember, this is a first gen. product so there will be at least a slightly higher failure rate.

kaiwai
Jan 15, 2008, 08:23 PM

Pardon? what the hell are you going on about? I don't see a single defect on this MacBook - and you know why? because I don't treat it like a cricket bat or a rugby ball.

ob81
Jan 15, 2008, 09:47 PM
Nope. I just came back from the store 5 mins ago. I purchased a blackbook. The Air is cool if you have the dough, but it isn't more portable than the Macbook. If that thing was 11" and under, then I could see the price.

mick4394
Jan 15, 2008, 09:49 PM
Pardon? what the hell are you going on about? I don't see a single defect on this MacBook - and you know why? because I don't treat it like a cricket bat or a rugby ball.

These don't sound like a words of someone who's owned a first gen Apple product before.

eddietr
Jan 15, 2008, 09:54 PM
Apple has 3 different laptop models (in various configurations.)

None of them is meant to be the "ultimate" Mac laptop for every human being on earth.

So it's sort of a personal decision.

Is this your primary computer? If so, I would say MB or MBP is probably the better choice.

Is $500 a lot of money to you in your particular situation? Then I would say MB is the way to go.

Do you travel a lot? And will having a smaller notebook mean more time working and less time listening to your iPod while the notebook stays in the overhead bin? If so, then the Air might be the better investment for you.

kaiwai
Jan 16, 2008, 12:21 AM
These don't sound like a words of someone who's owned a first gen Apple product before.

I've had an iMac G5, eMac G4, iBook G3, iBook Indigo, and this one - not a single fault or issue.

If you're having problems - yes, there will have bad luck, but having gone through 5 products, I didn't experience a single issue.

How come I can got through that many products without issues?

When you have problems - ask yourself, what have I done?

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 16, 2008, 12:42 AM
I've had an iMac G5, eMac G4, iBook G3, iBook Indigo, and this one - not a single fault or issue.

If you're having problems - yes, there will have bad luck, but having gone through 5 products, I didn't experience a single issue.

How come I can got through that many products without issues?

When you have problems - ask yourself, what have I done?

Because those products are from the era where Apple still had good quality control. Ever since the transition to Intel, the quality of Apple's products have slipped. Can you remember any iPod before the 3rd gen nano, that came with tilted screens in mass numbers? I mean Apple is even slipping up on iPod quality control and thats just sac religious. The iPod is their flagship product for god sake.

kaiwai
Jan 16, 2008, 04:17 AM
Because those products are from the era where Apple still had good quality control. Ever since the transition to Intel, the quality of Apple's products have slipped. Can you remember any iPod before the 3rd gen nano, that came with tilted screens in mass numbers? I mean Apple is even slipping up on iPod quality control and thats just sac religious. The iPod is their flagship product for god sake.

iPod Classics suck, but then again, their hard disk based iPods have always sucked.

But this is my first Intel, MacBook Core 2 (revision before the move to SR) and not a single problem.

mickier
Sep 4, 2011, 01:02 AM

I agree!
IMHO 11.6 MBA is the best freikin' laptop EVER MADE... I LOVE mine! (and now have TWO!

appleguy123
Sep 4, 2011, 01:07 AM
I agree!
IMHO 11.6 MBA is the best freikin' laptop EVER MADE... I LOVE mine! (and now have TWO!

Do you know the difference between the less than and greater than symbols? Sounds like you disagree.

Also, 2011 > 2008, by a lot.

Kroner
Sep 4, 2011, 03:19 AM
Do you know the difference between the less than and greater than symbols? Sounds like you disagree.

Also, 2011 > 2008, by a lot.

And here I was suddenly wondering why they were talking so much about the MB.

No wonder, a topic from 2008 :rolleyes:

iBreatheApple
Sep 4, 2011, 04:40 AM
The MBA was a huge mistake on Apple's part. You can find many other laptops that are portable out there with better specs for less then half the price. If you must get a Mac product which i would recommend doing anyway, I would get the MacBook. I think you will be much happier and you can max it out and still pay less then the MBA as long as you don't buy apple RAM.

Huge mistake? Funny because they're still sold out at my local best buy and on bestbuy.com

aoifeee
Sep 4, 2011, 05:21 AM
The optical drive is only a problem if it's something you use a lot. I only use discs like once or twice a year so the trade off is ok.

jltj
Sep 4, 2011, 05:24 AM
I hope Apple keeps on making such "huge mistakes" in the future, the MBA is the best computer I've ever owned!!

Seems like Intel is encouraging PC makers to learn from this huge mistake! :D:D

Kroner
Sep 4, 2011, 05:52 AM
Huge mistake? Funny because they're still sold out at my local best buy and on bestbuy.com

That is because this is a an old topic, and he is talking about the 1st generation MBA.
I donīt think they were sold out at that time.
As jltj said I love this "mistake" Apple did. While I wouldnīt have bought a MBA at the time this topic was created, because of its specs and price. However, now they are just perfect, and I am loving my MBA :)

macbookpro45
Sep 4, 2011, 10:34 PM

mate i was in the same situation. i have a custom desktop and wanted to know whether i need a laptop. the true answer is no, but i figured that out after i bought a mbp 15". i love the mbp but i use it literally once a month to update my iphone haha. i use the desktop all the time because its on the desk; that and i like a separate mouse/keyboard

appleguy123
Sep 4, 2011, 10:37 PM
I think that the first MacBook Air was way too expensive for most people. I wouldn't have bought it.
Now at $1240 for the 256gb model(Amazon 20% off), it was way too good to pass up!

ZBoater
Sep 4, 2011, 10:48 PM
I hope Apple keeps on making such "huge mistakes" in the future, the MBA is the best computer I've ever owned!!

Me too. For business use the new MBA has handled everything I've thrown at it and then some. I never thought a laptop could be so thin yet so capable. Net books were a disaster. This is genius. :D

surjavarman
Sep 5, 2011, 01:26 AM
The MBA is the best computer for people because its the only laptop they have ever used and they simply don't know any better.

It's like you transport a bunch of cars back to 1700 and let people of that time use them. One of the cars is a ferrari and one of them is some crappy old car that breaks down every 5 miles. If you let the people only use the crappy car, they will all say man this is the best thing ever. That is until you let them use the ferrari.

The MBP15 is that ferrari. You'll know if you go from 11inch to 15inch and then back to 11inch again.

yusukeaoki
Sep 5, 2011, 02:10 AM
Totally worth it.
Nuff said ;)

ZBoater
Sep 5, 2011, 08:58 AM
The MBA is the best computer for people because its the only laptop they have ever used and they simply don't know any better..

Wow, you generalize much?

No.

I've had $2,000 laptops from major manufacturers. Top of the line Dell, Sony, HP, Compaq, Toshiba. I'm a gadget freak.

One of the laptops MAIN reasons for existence is PORTABILITY.

In that respect, the MBA is the best. Period. There is no other laptop as capable yet as portable. Dell and Samsung are just now coming out with some competition. Netbooks are a joke. And the other high end laptops weigh more, are much bigger, and offer less battery.

So your car analogy is seriously flawed. Try again.

Abstract
Sep 5, 2011, 09:08 AM
I'm on my 5th Mac laptop. My last was a 2010 15" MBP with a 2.4GHz i5 processor and high-res matte screen.

And I sold that to get my 11" MBA because, to me, it's a better computer. It even handles my Nikon D300 RAW files, and my Fuji X100 files quite well. It's also my only computer.

SteveKnobs
Sep 5, 2011, 10:10 AM
I have a feeling I'm not the only one who didn't realize this was a three year old thread till the last minute. I wish I could say the comments are still relevant now but the MBA of today is on a whole other level than the MBA of 2008.

Cheffy Dave
Sep 5, 2011, 10:22 AM
Just remember, this is a first gen. product so there will be at least a slightly higher failure rate.

What??:apple:

----------

Seems like Intel is encouraging PC makers to learn from this huge mistake! :D:D

HUGE MISTAKE?, They can't make them fast enough, EVERYONE I know who has one is amazed, FAST Machines:cool:

Jordan9
Sep 5, 2011, 12:31 PM
What??:apple:

That post you quoted is from 2008.

appleguy123
Sep 5, 2011, 12:34 PM
I have a feeling I'm not the only one who didn't realize this was a three year old thread till the last minute. I wish I could say the comments are still relevant now but the MBA of today is on a whole other level than the MBA of 2008.

I agree. They are entirely different machines.

Gregintosh
Sep 5, 2011, 01:24 PM
I guess this thread goes to show how silly the naysayers are in hindsight.

Let all the naysayers of today keep that in mind as they consider more naysaying when Apple announces its next hit products.

appleguy123
Sep 5, 2011, 01:26 PM
I guess this thread goes to show how silly the naysayers are in hindsight.

Let all the naysayers of today keep that in mind as they consider more naysaying when Apple announces its next hit products.

No, I think it puts Apple in a silly light. Apple realized that the MacBook Air wasn't worth $1799 for a sub-standard, yet more portable experience. Now they have a more affordable computer with unique benefits.

Gregintosh
Sep 5, 2011, 01:29 PM
Though at the time, you could not get a machine as thin and light and powerful for $1799. So it was still revolutionary, though of course more expensive.

Even today, Samsung and Sony sell computers that may look like worthy competitors to the MacBook Air for $1999 TODAY and no one talks about them being epic failures.

Sure, today's price of the MBA with its starting price point of $949 (on Amazon) puts it ages and generations ahead of competitors, but even if the MBA was $1500+ today it would still be a great value for what you get (considering that now we see that competitors are still struggling years later to put out a machine thats as nice and they can't do it for much less than the original MBA's price)

gwsat
Sep 5, 2011, 01:48 PM
Those who criticized the pre 2010 MBAs as being too expensive and too limited had a valid point of view. Beginning with the 2010 refresh, though, the MBA came into its own. I have had a 2010 13 inch MBA Ultimate since last October. Over the time I have owned the MBA, I have thrown everything I had to throw at it, including running Windows and a couple of Windows apps simultaneously with about half a dozen OS X apps. It is, quite simply, the best all around computer I have ever owned.