Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
I need a computer for school, laptop, i already have a desktop, and i need a laptop in emergency for school. I will also use it for other things.

The macbook air looks nice if i get it standard, but what bothers me is the lack of an optical drive, and the slow processor, i think i can try to deal with an 80gig HD, but not sure about the processor and optical drive, and upgrading the processor isnt a choice.

the macbook on the other hand is cheaper, packs more power into it.

connectingrodd

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
I need a computer for school, laptop, i already have a desktop, and i need a laptop in emergency for school. I will also use it for other things.

The macbook air looks nice if i get it standard, but what bothers me is the lack of an optical drive, and the slow processor, i think i can try to deal with an 80gig HD, but not sure about the processor and optical drive, and upgrading the processor isnt a choice.

if you must buy a mac lap top you would be wise to get a macbook over the macbook air

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
if you must buy a mac lap top you would be wise to get a macbook over the macbook air

Ditto. I can think of no reason for a student to buy an MBA over an MB. Macbooks made *two years ago* will have better specs than your Macbook Air, should you buy one.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The more and more I think about it. No. It's odd that it has a beefier processor, but can really only do casual internets and he like. I would say save your cash and get a MacBook instead.

cdd543

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2006
Denver
Get the macbook instead. More storage/ power and it is reliable. First revision could be bumpy for the air. What a dumb name by the way.
Plus you will have a nice chunk of $ for other things.

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006

I think you pretty much answered your own question. For you, no.

taficke

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2007
The MBA was a huge mistake on Apple's part. You can find many other laptops that are portable out there with better specs for less then half the price. If you must get a Mac product which i would recommend doing anyway, I would get the MacBook. I think you will be much happier and you can max it out and still pay less then the MBA as long as you don't buy apple RAM.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I think the MBA will only appeal to a relatively small set of people. Most, including you, would be better off getting a Macbook.

lshirase

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
i recently bought the 2.2ghz black macbook..and i don't regret it. the macbook air seems like a nice 2nd laptop...but it looks too fragile and the power / storage capacity is very disappointing.

bang for your buck: mb > mba

durability: mb > mba

battery life: mb = mba

power: mb > mba

storage: mb > mba

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Ditto. I can think of no reason for a student to buy an MBA over an MB. Macbooks made *two years ago* will have better specs than your Macbook Air, should you buy one.

There were no macbooks made 2 years ago. They came out in May 2006, and those were core duos (albeit at faster clocks).

you have a 2.8 Ghz imac for times when you need an optical drive, more power, and a bigger HD.

I'm not saying get the MBA, but people's knee-jerk negative reaction is getting annoying. In your case I think it could be a reasonable option.

connectingrodd4

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008

is it worth it? not in a million years... this is bad bad value

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2005
too bad apple had to be the guinea pig for innovation...i predict a quick price drop just like the iphone and a surge in macbook sales :D

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
There were no macbooks made 2 years ago. They came out in May 2006, and those were core duos (albeit at faster clocks).

I'm referring to the Rev. B Macbooks from November 2006. They were c2d, and even the lowest-end models were faster than the MBAs. This is a step backwards in processor power.

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country
too bad apple had to be the guinea pig for innovation...i predict a quick price drop just like the iphone and a surge in macbook sales :D

I wouldn't count on that one. The iPhone price drop was way out of character for Apple. Mac prices are, generally, static.

I'd be more worried about a Cube scenario with this one.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004

Sure just make sure you send it in every 6 months to have the top cover replaced. At this point, I don't see how you could be wise to buy a macbook. You would have to completely ignore the hundreds of thousands of complaints and NOTED defects.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Sure just make sure you send it in every 6 months to have the top cover replaced. At this point, I don't see how you could be wise to buy a macbook. You would have to completely ignore the hundreds of thousands of complaints and NOTED defects.

There are at least as many defects in the Macbook Pro line as there are in the Macbook line. Pretty much any complaint you find in one model has an equivalent (or equally annoying defect) in the other.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
There are at least as many defects in the Macbook Pro line as there are in the Macbook line. Pretty much any complaint you find in one model has an equivalent (or equally annoying defect) in the other.

Exactly. Thats why I'm keeping my hard earned dollars, until Apple steps up to the plate and brings back the TiBook. :D

connectingrodd4

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008

Oh I agree with you completely the macbook is very flawed, I am with this statement though having to choose the lesser of two evils. The macbook air very likely will have all the durability problems of the macbook and more combined with a horrible price tag. If you are going to buy a flimsy computer at least don't pay too much for it:D

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
i recently bought the 2.2ghz black macbook..and i don't regret it. the macbook air seems like a nice 2nd laptop...but it looks too fragile and the power / storage capacity is very disappointing.

bang for your buck: mb > mba

durability: mb > mba

battery life: mb = mba

power: mb > mba

storage: mb > mba

i beg to differ, the mba is MUCH more durable

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
i beg to differ, the mba is MUCH more durable

How do you figure? The MBP's also aluminum, and even though it's slightly thicker, it still dents like crazy. With an even thinner shell, I can't see the MBA being as strong as the MBP, nevermind the MB (which is already more durable than the MBP).

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch

Pardon? what the hell are you going on about? I don't see a single defect on this MacBook - and you know why? because I don't treat it like a cricket bat or a rugby ball.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Nope. I just came back from the store 5 mins ago. I purchased a blackbook. The Air is cool if you have the dough, but it isn't more portable than the Macbook. If that thing was 11" and under, then I could see the price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.