PDA

View Full Version : Macworld....Sucked

magicjames92
Jan 15, 2008, 04:41 PM
Think about it. It takes a second. AIR! SWEET! Sexy, awesome comp. Wait...expensive, no ports, sucky hard drive. SWEET! NEW TOUCH FEATURES! Sucky new dock, $20 update. Seriously. Come on Apple. I love ya, but you need to stay up to standards.

eric55lv
Jan 15, 2008, 04:58 PM
Yeah your right NO NEW MACBOOK AND MACBOOK PRO!:mad:NO BLU-RAY SUPPORT!:mad:NO RECORD LABEL!:mad:

speakerwizard
Jan 15, 2008, 05:04 PM
moan moan moan

vincebio
Jan 15, 2008, 05:06 PM
Seriously. Come on Apple. I love ya, but you need to stay up to standards.

get a life

Joe Bannon
Jan 15, 2008, 05:08 PM
get a life

Get a clue ;-)

appletastic
Jan 15, 2008, 05:16 PM
Yeah your right NO NEW MACBOOK AND MACBOOK PRO!:mad:NO BLU-RAY SUPPORT!:mad:NO RECORD LABEL!:mad:

Oh you poor thing! I really feel for you.

How dare Uncle Steve not give you exactly what you wanted.

Schmoe0013
Jan 15, 2008, 05:20 PM
i think the rentals are a great thing! but i know the disapointments about the macbook air

JSchwage
Jan 15, 2008, 05:24 PM
Personally, I am glad Apple didn't update the MacBook since I just bought one in November. :p

Though I do agree, the MacBook Air did look amazing at first, but now I would never want to buy it due to the lack of ports, RAM soldered to the motherboard, and the non-user-replaceable battery.

vandlism
Jan 15, 2008, 05:28 PM
and the non-user-replaceable battery.

True but the battery still costs the same as a MacBook (@129) and is installed for free.

byeehaaw
Jan 15, 2008, 05:33 PM
crappy macworld! no nothing! not even a leopard update :( WHERES 10.5.2!?!

ghall
Jan 15, 2008, 05:33 PM
I knew there wasn't going to be anything as huge as the iPhone, but I was still a bit disappointed. I've never been so underwhelmed by a Macworld keynote. I remember being as giddy as a mouse on caffeine after MW '06, and since then I haven't really got that effect. There just wasn't anything super cool this year, except for an overpriced super-thin MacBook (that besides the price tag, I think is pretty cool). But I really didn't see anything amazing in the software department, which is my main interest. Sure the iPhone stuff was cool, but I was hoping for some sort of update to Leopard. I've never had much interest in the :apple:TV either since I don't have a widescreen TV, but I hope some of the new stuff finds it's way into Front Row.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Wizard of Woz
Jan 15, 2008, 05:35 PM
I was impressed with everything at MWSF. Will be buying an Apple TV when we see international movie rental/download. Love the Time Capsule idea, and I need a new router. What I didn't like, however, was the dirty, cheap-ass $20 upgrade idea. But considering the amount of flak Apple is copping, I think we'll see an apology+free update soon. Maybe. Hopefully.

MacPanda
Jan 15, 2008, 05:40 PM
I was gonna get a mac mini - no updates there - no updates to macbook or macbook pro - i don't really see the market for the macbook air - i mean it is really expensive very few i/o and really only good for people who want thin laptops. I knew the iphone announcement was stunning but i was expecting something good. This is the first macworld where i don't see anything fitting my needs being updated. Apple remember your other computer lineups please.

thanks,

macpanda

Jedi128
Jan 15, 2008, 05:51 PM
I'd have to agree that this Macworld wasn't in the top tier. Movie rentals.... idk, sure it's nice but nothing to wow over. So the big show stopper was supposed to be the Macbook Air then. I guess they did make a really thin notebook, but I don't really see the point. And at that price, I think few others will. Software updates for the iPhone and iPod touch are expected and to include them in Macworld is kind of strange. We'll see what becomes of the products announced today though...

gazzdavies22
Jan 15, 2008, 05:55 PM
Loads of people have been disappointed, me included. I have been looking forward to macworld, more than christmas day. I check loads of apple websites everyday and what I think is that they all have built up far too much hype and apple did not perform or live up to expectations.

I was checking the live feeds waiting for something nobody had expected.

There was no surprise, no one last thing to pick this macworld back up and tell the apple fans, 'this is why you love apple'.

Perhaps I was expecting to much. I wanted jobs to prove the rumors wrong and blow us away with something extraordinary.

The price for MBA, is far too much. especial as a first revision. Im just glad i bought an imac and not wait for this laptop.

I would like MBA to grow on me. Apple are still absolutely brilliant, but somehow do not think they delivered the goods everybody was expecting.

MBA was coming undoubtedly, but nobody predicted at that price.

Apple I still love ya! please suprise us next time!! Steve, prove to us again that you know what we want, before we do!

zeppelin68
Jan 15, 2008, 05:56 PM
20$?

applemax
Jan 15, 2008, 05:59 PM
Frankly, I'm pretty annoyed that Apple promised the UK movies on iTunes in 2007, and now it's been delayed to 'late 2008'! Is it ever going to happen?!?!?!

Phil A.
Jan 15, 2008, 05:59 PM
The only "complaint" I've got about MacWorld is the money I'm about to spend on a MacBook Air, an :apple:TV and a Time Capsule ;)
Every one of the 4 items Steve talked about today gets a big Thumbs Up from me - couldn't be happier :D

WeAreForsaken
Jan 15, 2008, 06:03 PM
I liked everything pretty good!

MacBoy108
Jan 15, 2008, 06:12 PM
get a life

No! Get a MacBook Air!
:D

thesdx
Jan 15, 2008, 06:13 PM
Negative, negative, negative. :rolleyes:

applemax
Jan 15, 2008, 06:14 PM
No! Get a MacBook Air!
:D

Apple may use that slogan! Copyright it! Quickly! :D

The all new MacBook Air. Get a MacBook. Get a life.

TimJim
Jan 15, 2008, 06:14 PM
Could have been better, but i cant wait till the Air's come to the Apple stores so i can really see 'um

Andras5soul
Jan 15, 2008, 06:17 PM
I liked (mostly) everything I saw.
-Movie rentals cheaper than dvd rentals, cheaper than time warner on demand rentals, cheaper than rcn rentals...nothing to complain about there.
-Time Capsule is great and probably will get one. Its an apple hard drive and an airport all in one, plus my WD Passport 160GB is full now. Will not be using it with time machine though. This product also works great with the Air.
-I guess the updated iphone/ipod touch firmware and apps are alright, but I already had those things in my ipod touch (hacked) and will wait until the updates get hacked too.
-Will not buy an :apple:TV just because I don't have a widescreen tv. If i had that and extra money to spend, with the price cut and very cheap rentals it looks good.
-MacBook Air looks beautiful. Though I don't like the black keyboard, the presentation is nearly flawless...But the inside of this machine is not up to par. Maxed out at 1.8Ghz??? That is less than the MacBook... This is a bad move. No optical drive and no huge harddrive is no problem since people needing lots of space use external hard drives anyway, and there is no need to an optical drive since you can download EVERYTHING (on iTunes and iLlegally) that you would receive on a disk. Battery life is (apparently) outstanding too.
-No cinema display upgrade is a disappointment, but that has been the case for the past 3 years..

mrwizardno2
Jan 15, 2008, 06:20 PM
I wasn't expecting too much, so I wasn't disappointed. I kind of wish they'd just update the firmware on the AEBS so I could use my current time machine disk with it without doing something "unsupported." Hell, I'd even pay for the update!

rockosmodurnlif
Jan 15, 2008, 06:21 PM
So what was the last Macworld keynote that was perfect and made everyone happy?

I'm just wondering what keynote is the standard by which all keynotes are judged.

fiftydollarshoe
Jan 15, 2008, 06:39 PM
I thought the products and enhancements were good...... however from the stream Steve lacked his normal passion and pizzazz.... he looked and sounded ill.... like he had the flu......

Mac.
Jan 15, 2008, 06:46 PM
It was good imo, disappointment about the MB Air though.

mrgreen4242
Jan 15, 2008, 06:46 PM
Frankly, I'm pretty annoyed that Apple promised the UK movies on iTunes in 2007, and now it's been delayed to 'late 2008'! Is it ever going to happen?!?!?!

As pissed as I am with Apple today, that's not really their fault. I'm sure they'd love to sell you movies, but they have to the studios on board, so I'd blame them.

scubasteve3715
Jan 15, 2008, 06:51 PM
Ok so ive been waiting for such a long time for a macbookpro update and i was so pissed today not to see one. Why not even update the chipset? Im not buying an "ultra-portable" or whatever, i cant deal with the small screen, the crappy hard drive, no optical drive, no fire wire, etc the list goes on. What the crap did i wait so long for?

PeteyKohut
Jan 15, 2008, 06:56 PM
This new Macbook is destined to meet the same fate of the G4 cube....sleek, impressive, and overpriced. Sorry Steve, but this keynote sucked. We've got $1000 64 GB hard drives, but no Blu-Ray.

PeteyKohut
Jan 15, 2008, 07:03 PM
The 2001 keynote that introduced the G4 Ti Powerbook was always a favorite of mine. A truly compact laptop that didn't sacrifice one thing. And a widescreen monitor? WOW! Others that have been good have been....2007 with the announcement of the iPhone. 1997 stands out for bad reasons (partnership with MS).

I'm just wondering what keynote is the standard by which all keynotes are judged.

aaquib
Jan 15, 2008, 07:21 PM
Well, personally I loved Macworld. Apple TV looks great, Time Capsule seems pretty neat, the Macbook Air, even thought too expensive for me, is revolutionary, and its nice to see updates to the iPhone. The only thing that purely pissed me off was the $20 fee for iPod Touch users.

rickboy
Jan 15, 2008, 07:42 PM
The Mac Book Air Rocks. Its just aimed at a different market. I for one have been waiting for something like this. As a traveller and backpacker, its really conveniant. Its small, not combersome and im able to get in touch with people around the world by accessing any wi fi hot spot. It can even handle most graphic design applications. It just depends for what reason do you use a laptop. I think its a great product for a specific market and its selling point is portability and as AIR implies, its wireless funcionality. Besides the optical drive option is fair enough. I however do think its a tad expensive. As I wouldnt wanna be carrying $3k around places like belgium or brixton england or even hungary. I was hoping for a mac laptop equivalent of the Mini, but instead its a luxory product. I also hate the fact that it doesnt have a removable battery, since lithuim batteries life cycle decreases in time with use. And I would have wanted more USB ports on it or even a firewire400 port. But the processor and disk space dont bother me as disk space can be resolved with external options and Im assuming hard disks are moving to wireless connectivity soon, i really hate having so many cables. I mean you have wireless flash drives for crying out load.

PlaceofDis
Jan 15, 2008, 07:47 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=413924

read it. seriously.

YuriVoorhak
Jan 15, 2008, 08:01 PM

I'll always have a soft spot for the original iMac introduction, since that was the one that prompted me to get the first personal computer I ever got on my own. :o

As for the MBA: No, I couldnt use this thing either, much less at that pricepoint. But I guarantee (okay, predict) I'm going to see a lot of these on campus next fall. If they get the price down to 1299 (even for the low end of the line), they're really going to take off.

No I still won't have a use for one. :)

ffakr
Jan 15, 2008, 08:04 PM
I'm sorry to break this to you, but dorks who post on Mac rumors sites are NOT the target audience for the Macbook Air. Seriously. No, I'm not kidding.

It's not a gaming laptop.
It's not a desktop replacement.
It's not a portable rendering or Video station.
It's not a cheapo student laptop.

It's an Ultra Portable, and it's a damn good one. This is a light Business machine that is designed to do just a few things well {email, web, Display presentations, create Office docs, and occasionally watch a movie on the Plane}. That's it. Oh yea, it's not supposed to pull the arm off a 60 year old if they're carrying it all day.
Personally, I'd have preferred a UltraLowVoltage 1.2GHz cpu option instead of just the LowVoltage 1.6 and 1.8.

The only thing it's missing is a Dock and two fricking buttons.. but this Apple after all.

"crappy hard drive". Boo F'n Hoo
"one usb port". Whaa Whaa Whaa.. How many USB devices are you going to plug in while you're in a meeting or sitting in a seminar?

P.S. The fact that I'M posting on a rumors site myself has not been overlooked. It's not quite right for me either but I know a lot of people who have been waiting for this.

David G.
Jan 15, 2008, 08:08 PM
It didn't suck. It just wasn't as aww inspiring as last year. And I'm OK with that. You can't expect perfection from :apple: all of the time.

ffakr
Jan 15, 2008, 08:12 PM
But the processor and disk space dont bother me as disk space can be resolved with external options and Im assuming hard disks are moving to wireless connectivity soon, i really hate having so many cables. I mean you have wireless flash drives for crying out load.

The new base station isn't just a backup device.. it's also a NAS (network attached storage). You can mount that over the wireless.. and 802.11n is damn fast. Typical real life data rate is between 45 and 75 Mbit even at a fair distance from the base station. Maximum speed is faster than 100Mbit Ethernet (much faster).

There are also a slew of other cheap NAS devices from vendors like Buffalo, Maxtor...

ffakr

AppleNewton
Jan 15, 2008, 08:14 PM
Just me or at the beginning when he talked about Leopard, after the Office 08 speech, he says:

"in Tiger we have alot of great new features you know, Time Machine"

Steve, this one wasnt your best yet. however, it was interesting new stuff.

heh

Aperture
Jan 15, 2008, 08:14 PM

I was really happy with last years but some were not as it was Macworld.

Other than the iPhone update & SDK, I didn't really see anything today I am interested in. I'm not really disappointed, though, as I understand Apple can't introduce a revolutionary product at every single Macworld. (not that the updates today weren't revolutionary.. but not on the scale of the iPhone)

Regarding the MBA.. I know people have long wished for an Apple ultra portable but the MBA doesn't really do it for me. Then again, I'm not the person who would be buying an ultra portable at all.

twoodcc
Jan 15, 2008, 08:17 PM
i didn't think it was that bad. i mean, of course it could have been better.

sboardbob
Jan 15, 2008, 08:27 PM
Every thing they did today was bad.

$20 for a Ipod update, If they start charging for updates no one will do it.

instead of making a simple update to airport express software, make a new router that costs more that dose the simple task the the old one can do but apple wont let you.

Sealed battery, extra for optical drive, extra for ethernet port.

other than the Macbookair, they did nothing that was impressive. They did not do anything to push their computer line to the next level. everything they have now is selling great why change it.

deannnnn
Jan 15, 2008, 08:34 PM
Personally, I am glad Apple didn't update the MacBook since I just bought one in November. :p

hahaha, same here =)

themiracle
Jan 15, 2008, 09:17 PM
Personally I would buy the Macbook Air. My current setup basically revolves around my base Mac Pro, with an aging Thinkpad running a stripped down version of XP as a satellite of sorts. Basically everything I do is synced to the Pro whenever the laptop gets a chance, and the Pro is set up with RAID 1. My Thinkpad is now showing signs of nearing hardware death, so I'm looking to replace it. The Air would be a great upgrade for my particular situation. Not to say it's perfect, but it's not useless, especially when you get into the executive uses mentioned earlier.

Also, one of the few, er, highlights of the keynote is up on YouTube now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWbYjn_WIjY

EricBrian
Jan 15, 2008, 09:24 PM
Yeah, MacWorld was pretty darn underwhelming. Movie rentals are nice but too expensive. I'll stick with Netflix. $20 touch upgrade? Ripoff... those applications should have been on the touch to begin with. MBAir is nice but I would not buy one.

Oh, an Forbes agrees with me:
http://www.forbes.com/home/technology/2008/01/15/jobs-macbook-air-tech-personal-cx_wt_0115airmac.html

bov
Jan 15, 2008, 09:27 PM
Ok so ive been waiting for such a long time for a macbookpro update and i was so pissed today not to see one. Why not even update the chipset? Im not buying an "ultra-portable" or whatever, i cant deal with the small screen, the crappy hard drive, no optical drive, no fire wire, etc the list goes on. Why the crap did i wait so long for?

you came onto MacRumors. That is why.

EricBrian
Jan 15, 2008, 09:31 PM
Also, one of the few, er, highlights of the keynote is up on YouTube now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWbYjn_WIjY

Yeah, that was the best part of MacWorld. :) I enjoyed it.

NC MacGuy
Jan 15, 2008, 09:32 PM
Macworld '08 totally sucked but imho wasn't as bad as the all iphone '07.

What was EXCELLENT was the diligence the Macrumors site providers used in having absolute quality coverage once again.

BRAVO!!! A job well done regardless of personal feelings regarding keynote. You guys are awesome. I think I'll have to become a MR contributor since I can't see any shiny new apple product I'm itching to own.

Thanks again for your hard work!

Muzzway
Jan 15, 2008, 09:32 PM

Yeah, it's greedy, but I agree with that. :eek:

I bet we'll see Blu-ray support at WWDC.

EricBrian
Jan 15, 2008, 09:33 PM
I bet we'll see Blu-ray support at WWDC.

When is WWDC?

Wild-Bill
Jan 15, 2008, 09:38 PM
Macworld '08 totally sucked but imho wasn't as bad as the all iphone '07.

Agreed.

No new Cinema Displays??? Aren't they two years old now?

Lurch
Jan 15, 2008, 09:43 PM
How's the transfer speed for the time capsule vs usb or firewire? I forget the speed of n

ryannel2003
Jan 15, 2008, 09:47 PM
Ehhh... truth be told I haven't been excited for a MacWorld keynote since the introduction of the Intel iMac and MacBook Pro. While the iPhone is a great device, I hate AT&T so there is no point of drooling over one. The MacBook Air is a great little laptop, but since I have no use for something that small or thin, once again no point of drooling over once since I will most likely never be able to afford it. iTunes Movie rentals are a great idea, and would be even better if you could go longer than 24 hours renting that movie. :apple:TV update makes that device much more appealing than it was before. If I had a widescreen TV I would really considering getting one. But there is no point in bitching about how Macworld sucks... there were quite a few interesting devices introduced.

ClassicMac247
Jan 15, 2008, 09:48 PM
I really wanted new displays!!! Now I have to wait forever (till spring), but still!!! I want touch screen!

OldCorpse
Jan 15, 2008, 10:14 PM
A little OT, but for all the kudos and complaints about MacBookAir, I have a question:

Can someone please compare MacBookAir with other ultraportables out there within a similar price range (and even outside of that price range)? How does the MacBookAir stack up against the competition? Spec for spec and general notes...! Is MacBookAir really something special or pretty meh given what's available already?

Aperture
Jan 15, 2008, 10:18 PM
A little OT, but for all the kudos and complaints about MacBookAir, I have a question:

Can someone please compare MacBookAir with other ultraportables out there within a similar price range (and even outside of that price range)? How does the MacBookAir stack up against the competition? Spec for spec and general notes...! Is MacBookAir really something special or pretty meh given what's available already?

This isn't a straight comparison, but here is a list (http://www.pcworld.com/article/123867-1/article.html) of PC World's top ten ultra portables as of December.

biturbomunkie
Jan 15, 2008, 10:20 PM
as SJ has mentioned, this is only the 1st two wks of '08. :)

ghall
Jan 15, 2008, 10:26 PM
When is WWDC?

June.

teleromeo
Jan 15, 2008, 10:27 PM
Agreed.

No new Cinema Displays??? Aren't they two years old now?

august 2006 according to the buyers guide.
Anyway, I'm on hold for a new mac pro until apple releases new displays.
The way apple introduced new products today indicates that they are a bit behind shedule. Was there a new product announced that ships immediatly ?

sellitman
Jan 15, 2008, 10:29 PM
For my money I'd buy a 15" Mac Book Pro over a Mac Book Air. If you add in the optical drive the price is almost the same. The MBP is a heck of a lot more computer than the Air. Is it me?

smacsteve
Jan 15, 2008, 10:30 PM
I was impressed with everything at MWSF. Will be buying an Apple TV when we see international movie rental/download. Love the Time Capsule idea, and I need a new router. What I didn't like, however, was the dirty, cheap-ass $20 upgrade idea. But considering the amount of flak Apple is copping, I think we'll see an apology+free update soon. Maybe. Hopefully.

The $20 update fee is for the iPod Touch, not the Apple TV! The Apple TV owners, new and old, will get it for free in 2 weeks!

smacsteve
Jan 15, 2008, 10:35 PM
I'm sorry to break this to you, but dorks who post on Mac rumors sites are NOT the target audience for the Macbook Air. Seriously. No, I'm not kidding.

It's an Ultra Portable, and it's a damn good one. This is a light Business machine that is designed to do just a few things well {email, web, Display presentations, create Office docs, and occasionally watch a movie on the Plane}. That's it. Oh yea, it's not supposed to pull the arm off a 60 year old if they're carrying it all day.
Personally, I'd have preferred a UltraLowVoltage 1.2GHz cpu option instead of just the LowVoltage 1.6 and 1.8.

The only thing it's missing is a Dock and two fricking buttons.. but this Apple after all.

"one usb port". Whaa Whaa Whaa.. How many USB devices are you going to plug in while you're in a meeting or sitting in a seminar?

P.S. The fact that I'M posting on a rumors site myself has not been overlooked. It's not quite right for me either but I know a lot of people who have been waiting for this.

Good post! You are the first person on this forum that gets it! The MBA is going to be a huge hit! It will be the first computer in the history of PC's or Macs that will break the link between some form of media! Before it was Apple killing the floppy and now it will be the optical! This shows you how far ahead Apple is looking!

Stori
Jan 15, 2008, 10:51 PM

Except that it is still bigger than the old 12" PB and that is about as big a computer you want to lug around on a regular basis..... On and of planes, through customs etc etc etc is a right pain thse days . Laptop out for examination , shoe off, liquids in a plastic bag......

To be honest, the average bussiness traveller does not even need a 64 gig solid state drive. A smaller solid state drive plus a compact external drive would be a better option and much, much cheaper.

KurtangleTN
Jan 15, 2008, 11:17 PM
Yeah I agree, crappy keynote.

No New Macbooks (air is a different line)

No sub $1000 Apple Notebook

No new third party iPod Touch/iPhone apps.

And $20 for 3 practically useless programs and 1 useful (mail) is pathetic. Not to mention the ugly dock. Then they give a free upgrade to the Apple TV users.

And the Macbook Air is up the ass crack of both the ultra portable fans, and the mid Apple notebook fans. The screen size sucks for most people who wanted an ultra portable because it's just far too wide. I like Steve dissed 11-12 inch notebooks, forgetting that their entire consumer line (besides the 14" iBooks) were 12, and people were fine. Yet it's not powerful enough or priced low enough to get most people away from a MBP.

It's amazingly thin, really unreal what they did, but I can't see it having that much commercial success.

Honestly the only thing I like is the HD rentals (although Netflix is still probably a better option) and then the Wireless HDs seem like at first glance a pretty good deal.

Zwhaler
Jan 15, 2008, 11:26 PM
I thought Macworld was pretty cool and I'm not going to complain, but where the hell are new ACD's! It's been almost four years since a good upgrade!

mrat93
Jan 15, 2008, 11:32 PM
I know! iPod classic, nano, shuffle, iMac, MB(P), MacPro, Mac Mini and XServe, ALL UNTOUCHED!! WTF?!!?!??!

OldCorpse
Jan 15, 2008, 11:35 PM
This isn't a straight comparison, but here is a list (http://www.pcworld.com/article/123867-1/article.html) of PC World's top ten ultra portables as of December.

That's interesting. Of the units that were lighter than 3lbs, there are really two:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,138561-page,1-c,notebooks/article.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,131035-page,1-c,notebooks/article.html

they are both significantly lighter (the Fujitsu is just 2.6lb!), BUT both are also significantly smaller (11.1" and 10.6" screens, respectively), significantly slower (1.06Ghz C2D and 1.2Ghz C2D) and more expensive! They did however, blow the MacBookAir out of the water (ha!) when it came to features... to just take a look at the Fujitsu: it is WAY smaller and lighter than the MBA, but still somehow manages to squeeze in a double layer DVD burner, "you get two USB ports, a VGA port, a PC Card slot, a FireWire port, and basic audio ports. Network and modem jacks flank the battery on the back. A shared slot for Memory Stick, SD, and xD flash memory cards sits on the front. Wi-Fi comes standard; Bluetooth costs a little extra, as does a basic Webcam". And the batter life is 5.2 hours.

OK, it's a bit apples to oranges comparison, but by no means do I think that the MBA blows the competition out of the water. No way.

FetalSage
Jan 16, 2008, 12:00 AM
Yeah I agree, crappy keynote.

No New Macbooks (air is a different line)

No sub $1000 Apple Notebook

No new third party iPod Touch/iPhone apps.

And $20 for 3 practically useless programs and 1 useful (mail) is pathetic. Not to mention the ugly dock. Then they give a free upgrade to the Apple TV users.

Firstly, how is MacBook Air a different line to the Macbook line? It's part of the whole MacBook Line.

I doubt Apple will release a sub $1000 notebook, macbooks are cheap enough. You disappointed yourself.

No new third party apps? The SDK is being released next month, why would you expect something today?

Now I don't care about the price since I own an iPhone, but if iPod Touch users want a more-iPhone out of their Touch then they should pay. But meh, not a big deal to me.

beeh
Jan 16, 2008, 12:00 AM
I was holding off buying one of the Asus EEE PCs in anticipation Apple would release a comparable ultraportable today ( maybe twice the cost though - but still worth it to me ). Guess I'll be saving some $$ and buying an Asus for now. Although they'll probably surprise us sometime this year.

It seems like the expectations are getting a little overblown for Apple announcements. Especially after the iPhone and iPod Touch. I mean those were huge leaps in technology ( IMO anyway ) and any other company would rest on those products for years, milking them. For that matter, Apple could have kept doing the same thing with the Classic iPod - keep the HW design relatively similar, adding a few new features here and there, until they lost market share. But, they still seem to be trying to stay, not one, but 3-4 steps ahead of the competition, at least as far as portable entertainment is concerned.

But then again, without this type of negative response and overblown expectations, Apple might get lazy. So, I say keep the complaining ( i.e. feedback ) coming!

BH

macgenius98
Jan 16, 2008, 12:19 AM
See apple they delivered, not to the popular crowd but boy did they deliver. I cant wait for the MacBook "invisible":cool: with Mac OS X "Liger";)

SkyBell
Jan 16, 2008, 12:46 AM
The 2001 keynote that introduced the G4 Ti Powerbook was always a favorite of mine. A truly compact laptop that didn't sacrifice one thing. And a widescreen monitor? WOW! Others that have been good have been....2007 with the announcement of the iPhone. 1997 stands out for bad reasons (partnership with MS).

First, the 12" PowerBook did sacrifice things. It was slower, had less ports, no backlit keyboard, etc. Like someone else pointed out, there was no ultra portable that was just as powerful as it's big brothers.

Second, the 1997 deal was a good thing. An extremely good thing. It probably saved the company, and introdcued Office to the Mac.

Norco
Jan 16, 2008, 12:47 AM
Loads of people have been disappointed, me included. I have been looking forward to macworld, more than christmas day. I check loads of apple websites everyday and what I think is that they all have built up far too much hype and apple did not perform or live up to expectations.

I felt the same way - I was looking forward to this more than Christmas. I was really disappointed as I didn't feel anything unforeseen was introduced. At least we could have gotten 10.5.2 or something unexpected. Very disappointing...

igglepuff
Jan 16, 2008, 01:18 AM
august 2006 according to the buyers guide.
Anyway, I'm on hold for a new mac pro until apple releases new displays.
The way apple introduced new products today indicates that they are a bit behind shedule. Was there a new product announced that ships immediatly ?

apple displauys are overpriced. get a dell wfp. im not sure, but i know they used top bethe same panels. my 24 looks amazing.

igglepuff
Jan 16, 2008, 01:21 AM
I felt the same way - I was looking forward to this more than Christmas. I was really disappointed as I didn't feel anything unforeseen was introduced. At least we could have gotten 10.5.2 or something unexpected. Very disappointing...

10.5.2 has only been in testing a tiny while now, a release would bea waste of time for it... as for what was said relating ot hype, appl edidnt really build up anyhype over it out of the ordinary, its all tehusers and their imaginations that did it as usual :P Last year wasnt anything toospecial either imo.. a phone that doesnt use the latest phoen technologies heh. i like , like, not love, my iphone, but my treo did most everything it did, and inet was faster. didnt ahve visual vm, but as of a few months ago i did on my provider that doesnt do iphones, heh

verhasst
Jan 16, 2008, 01:38 AM
i don't really see the market for the macbook air

You'd be surprised. I commute daily via the Washington State Ferry system to Seattle. Almost all of the commuters own and use sub-notebooks. Personally, I would never buy it. I think the advances in technology are amazing, but it's not enough for me (I need an optical drive, haha). I'm not sure about elsewhere, but in Seattle TONS of people own sub-notebooks. People who commute, people who travel a lot, etc., etc. So, I see the market. We're expected to do pretty well with them in Bellevue.

GrannySmith_G5
Jan 16, 2008, 02:02 AM
Too tired to even attempt to think or research dates here, but I think it was 2003, and the keynote was pretty good. The intro of ilife (and you could still download the newest iphoto and imovie for free right after the keynote), the introduction of Safari and iCal (again both free downloads right after the keynote). Final Cut Express made it's debut as well as the 17 and 12 inch Powerbooks. And I remember watching that Keynote live.

iPhotog64
Jan 16, 2008, 02:43 AM
I know! iPod classic, nano, shuffle, iMac, MB(P), MacPro, Mac Mini and XServe, ALL UNTOUCHED!!

Sorry to inform you, but the Mac Pro and XServe were updated this past Friday. Plus, you can't realistically expect the iPods to find themselves polished (except perhaps the Shuffle, with their crazy mix of colors) after they have just enjoyed another redesign in September. Same goes for the iMac.

I understand there was some buildup for a major MBP update until the MBA started gaining more real-estate on the rumor sites. As a student who is considering only a MacBook I wasn't disappointed, but I feel for the others. After all, the 2.6GHz option was nothing extraordinary.

scunky
Jan 16, 2008, 05:00 AM
The MacBook Air is very cute but who is it aimed at?
I mean the pro is for muso's, photographers, video editors and even
scientists. The macbook is for the rest of us. I cant see where apple is
going with this one. it could turn out to be a white elephant.

rickboy
Jan 16, 2008, 05:59 AM
I was waiting for the Apple subnote book, which is the "AIR". I think its a great product BUT, I dont like the price. for the price I would much rather get a souped up MacBook Pro. I was hoping the MacBookAir would have been the equivalent of what the Mac Mini is to Desktops but for laptops. Cheap, small, affordable. With its lack of features such as an optical drive, extra ports, replaceable battery it would have been great to have a cheap affordable laptop. But instead they made it a luxory premium product.

MickyJ07
Jan 16, 2008, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I was hoping that Apple had devised away to put a naked, ready for action, beautiful woman in my bed at a touch on my iPhone, but no such luck. So, in light of that expectation, Macworld WAS a bust.

asrmatt
Jan 16, 2008, 10:41 AM
Apple may use that slogan! Copyright it! Quickly! :D

The all new MacBook Air. Get a MacBook. Get a life.

Cool! :D
And if I may say, I loved this Macworld, my worry today is trying to keep my thoughts on my work and not on the apple website staring at that cool MBA! :o

Popeye206
Jan 16, 2008, 11:04 AM
LOL! My goodness! Some people just want to complain.... if you can name one other high tech company that has put out as much cool things in the last 6 months as Apple... please let me know!

They can only do so much and yes... I would have liked to have seen more too... but I don't think what we got so far was all that bad... in fact, some of it pretty exciting.

I love the new AppleTV. Perfect upgrade. Love my iPhone update and guess what? There's probably another one coming in a month or so when the developers version hits the streets. And I think the MBA is a great technology demonstration for Apple and should be a product that defines the next several version of MB's and MBP's that I'm sure are soon to follow.

Popeye206
Jan 16, 2008, 11:10 AM
The MacBook Air is very cute but who is it aimed at?
I mean the pro is for muso's, photographers, video editors and even
scientists. The macbook is for the rest of us. I cant see where apple is
going with this one. it could turn out to be a white elephant.

Read the other post on the MBA... it's right on... this will probably not be a huge seller, but it should appeal to business people who are road warriors and want a very portable computer. I use to be a road warrior and put on 100K miles a year in the air traveling 70% of the time... I would have paid just about anything for something like this. Less weight and less space. Perfect!

But given all that... think of the MBA as a demonstration of where technology is going and what you may see in future MB's and MBP's. Solid state drives, thinner designs, better battery life, multi-touch pads, all good things that will be nice anywhere.

pagansoul
Jan 16, 2008, 11:16 AM
I feel safe with getting the smaller MacPro notebook now. I waited till after Macworld to see if they did anything with it but since there were no updates I can breathe safe for at least another 6 months.

blimeyoriley
Jan 16, 2008, 12:50 PM
I was REALLY looking forward to a new 2.6GHz Penryn, LED backlit, 17" MacBook Pro after MacWorld

Been putting it off for aaaages now, what with waiting for Leopard n all

What do you think are the chances of a MacBook Pro update in the near future - that DOESN'T require some fancy event ?

turtlebud
Jan 16, 2008, 10:35 PM
at first, i was disappointed in the announcements, mainly because there wasn't anything introduced that made me want to go see or buy it. but after taking a day to digest what was announced, I must say that it was a well rounded set of updates. apple touched on most of it products with this update - i guess it's different from other macworlds cause there wasn't one groundbreaking new thing (yes, there's the macbook air, but I see that as most an enhancement to the macbook/pro line)

time capsule - pretty cool. it's like the next version of an NAS. since apple made it, i'm sure it's pretty well designed and easy to use. probably won't consider something like that until I upgrade all my systems to include 802.11n (I'm still on g with my powermac g5 & b with my powerbook).

ipod/iphone software update- i'm glad the enhanced the software that comes with the iphone and ipod touch. both sets of apps that they added were pretty much what people were asking for. i think the only thing left that people really want on the iphone now is 3G and i'm really glad they added google maps & mail to the touch. of course i'm not in the market for an iphone and i'm a little reluctant to get a touch since I've got 3 ipods and don't use them as much as I'd like yet. i'll probably give the touch a hard look once i'm ready to upgrade my ipod though. too bad they're charging people $20 to upgrade to the software on their current touches.

itunes movie rentals - seems like this is the thing that most people are excited about, but i don't rent a lot of movies so not as much excitement for me. the two main problems I have are the price for rentals & the 24 viewing period (once you start the movie). $4.99 seems a bit high for HD movies that you can get through your local blockbuster w/ a monthly subscription of $12 or something and 24 hours to view once you've started seems short to me. of course I don't rent movies that much so I don't know if these are valid points. i do like the fact that you can watch it anywhere (ipod, mac, or tv) though and the fact that studios are starting come out with dvds that have a digital copy of the movie is very cool.

apple tv - this is a pretty cool update. maybe not enough for me to buy it just yet, but if I had some disposable income, i might consider it. un-tethering it from your computer was a very good idea and will probably make it appeal to many more people.

macbook air - okay, so this is the one that's had such a heated debate on both sides. i think if you were waiting for a light thin notebook, you're drooling over this. they included a lot of cool technology with the mba, but unless weight and portability are of great importance to you, I'd rather save some money and get a macbook. likes include the multitouch trackpad & remote disc (though I'd probably prefer a built in optical drive in a thicker laptop - but that's just my personal preference). you can tell that apple thought this through and found solutions for the challenges that come with making an ultra thin laptop. this includes time capsule, which I'm sure was made with the macbook air in mind. what I don't like about it is the price tag (again, i don't really need ultra portable, i'm perfectly happy with a macbook), lack of ports (one usb port in particular), and lack of upgrade options (hard drive, RAM).

my initial reaction was a little disappointment, but after looking over all they released, i think it was a solid macworld for apple.

now, i'm just waiting for the LED screen & multitouch to make it in to the macbook (and throw in the backlit keyboard while you're at it)