PDA

View Full Version : Will the MacBook Air start up instantly with the Flash SSD?

sk8ordie
Jan 15, 2008, 06:18 PM
Any guestimates to the MacBook Air turning on instantly with the Flash SSD...like an iPod? On/Off booting would be pretty cool.

mick4394
Jan 15, 2008, 06:21 PM
If it's anything like the Eee Pc, yes, it will boot faster than hell.

My Eee boots XP in under fifteen seconds. We all know that OSX boots waaaay quicker than Windows. So, I think we can assume that Air with SSD will boot unbelievably fast. I'm guessing this thing will be as close to "instant on" as you can get.

connectingrodd4
Jan 15, 2008, 06:22 PM
Any guestimates to the MacBook Air turning on instantly with the Flash SSD...like an iPod? On/Off booting would be pretty cool.

it will boot fast but not instantly, also consider that a flash drive has a very limited life span

UK-sHaDoW
Jan 15, 2008, 06:28 PM
it will boot fast but not instantly, also consider that a flash drive has a very limited life span
As do Hard drives. Hard drives will start to wear out, before you run out of write cycles as you would on flash.

connectingrodd4
Jan 15, 2008, 06:37 PM
As do Hard drives. Hard drives will start to wear out, before you run out of write cycles as you would on flash.

in theory a hard drive will have much longer life span than a flash

mrwizardno2
Jan 15, 2008, 06:38 PM

but modern flash has wear leveling logic that can extend the life way beyond that of hard drives, as well. It all depends on how cheap they went for the flash disk they put in the thing.

mick4394
Jan 15, 2008, 06:40 PM

That theory doesn't take mechanics into account.

connectingrodd4
Jan 15, 2008, 06:45 PM
but modern flash has wear leveling logic that can extend the life way beyond that of hard drives, as well. It all depends on how cheap they went for the flash disk they put in the thing.

perhaps but do you really think that apple didn't cut costs in the flash drive?

mrwizardno2
Jan 15, 2008, 06:47 PM

Well, no one can say that at the moment! You can't even argue the opposite, so the best we can do is wait to see what is in the beast.

I have a slight bit of faith in Apple, and would hope they would consider choosing an appropriate SSD for use in a mobile computer (many writes / re-writes).

mick4394
Jan 15, 2008, 06:48 PM

At what they're charging for it? Probably not.

Pressure
Jan 15, 2008, 06:53 PM

Most new Solid State Drives has the same amount of read/write cycles as a mechanical harddrive has. It has become a non-issue.

But Solid State Drives do usually suffer from slow random write performance.

Magicite
Jan 15, 2008, 08:02 PM
For your viewing pleasure. (http://www.ryanblock.com/2007/11/the-first-macbook-pro-with-a-64gb-ssd/)

Video of a First-gen MBP booting up with a 64GB SSD.

byeehaaw
Jan 15, 2008, 09:20 PM
For your viewing pleasure. (http://www.ryanblock.com/2007/11/the-first-macbook-pro-with-a-64gb-ssd/)

thats fast! haha pretty crazy

CJRhoades
Jan 15, 2008, 09:26 PM
Jeez I wish my MBP could boot up that fast.

mick4394
Jan 15, 2008, 10:00 PM

It's fast, but I was expecting faster.

chewietobbacca
Jan 15, 2008, 10:02 PM
check out some of Anandtech's articles on SSD's, they do comparisons with the WD Raptors which have long been the speed kings for boot up (i love mine) - problem of course is the cost / GB is huge!

iW00t
Jan 15, 2008, 10:03 PM

Wear leveling counts for nothing when you consider that the 64GB drive will be half full when you load in Leopard and iLife and various "Big Bang" games and bonuses.

Where is the drive controller going to "wear level" on an almost full drive? Move some existing data off so it can take twice the wear? Haha, that's a nice one.

Shannighan
Jan 15, 2008, 10:15 PM

so was I, not as fast as that kids on rocket power (old nickelodeon show)

Smurfed
Jan 16, 2008, 03:31 AM
15-20 Second boot times.

tiamat1990
Jan 16, 2008, 05:42 AM

Ditto, maybe the Air will do it faster.

phungy
Jan 16, 2008, 05:45 AM
I pick 12 seconds :p

n8236
Jan 16, 2008, 06:09 AM
They need to make faster SSDs!

Every company is out there to make them have larger capacity, but how about also making them faster too!:D

thefunkymunky
Jan 16, 2008, 06:24 AM
They need to make faster SSDs!

Every company is out there to make them have larger capacity, but how about also making them faster too!:D

And cheaper.;)

speakerwizard
Jan 16, 2008, 06:37 AM
15-20 Second boot times.

they should have started timer after the chime, thats when book starts after the memory check.

n8236
Jan 16, 2008, 06:41 AM
they should have started timer after the chime, thats when book starts after the memory check.

Exactly my thought! And then after the chime, the HD hasn't even began to spin yet. (not immediately anyways)

So that would actually put the first gen. MBP @ around 15 seconds.

And the MBA? I'd be damned, a possible 12 second boot! Holy ****!

MacRumorUser
Feb 5, 2008, 04:09 PM
^ There's been a lot of info about this. Seems to boot in around 25-30 sec's on average.

Not quite the instant 'on' as we were all hoping but still... :)