PDA

View Full Version : Sign the online petition for Apple to acknowledge and recall...

MacBytes
Oct 13, 2003, 09:07 AM
Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Sign the online petition for Apple to acknowledge and recall new Powerbook LCD screens due to "white spots" (http://www.petitiononline.com/applelcd/petition.html)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Oct 13, 2003, 09:09 AM
I've seen many stories about this problem so far, and it does seem to be international in it's happening, instead of just being in a "batch" of powerbooks.

Butů

I really don't think online petitions do much of any good, but they can't hurt, so why not. If you wanna, sign it. If you don't - just keep on a'rockin'.

mainstreetmark
Oct 13, 2003, 09:51 AM
I'm afraid it's the nature of large LCD displays to have a few bum pixels. Seemed like the limit was 3 or 4, maybe, out of 1.3 million (1440x900)

Hopefully it isn't right in your way.

And, I'm not sure if one single thing was solved by that stupid petition site. Maybe it'll get you on a mailing list or something.

Daveman Deluxe
Oct 13, 2003, 10:00 AM
mainstreetmark:

It's not about bad pixels. Apparently the glue that holds the TFT layer to the plastic covering was poorly formulated or poorly applied, as it sometimes develops a white residue between the two layers. Those are the "white spots" Apple is speaking of.

I hate it when people call for a recall of products based on these things. A recall is when EVERY unit in a certain lot number or range of serial numbers sends in their product for a replacement. Instead, Apple should treat 15" displays that ever come up with white spots as dead on arrival for the next seven years.

MrMacMan
Oct 13, 2003, 01:23 PM
The only petiton that worked was for an uncensored-uncut BatMan DVD.

And the people did more they petition it, they went to conventions, got people together, wrote letters, real stuff.

mainstreetmark
Oct 13, 2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
mainstreetmark:

It's not about bad pixels. Apparently the glue that holds the TFT layer to the plastic covering was poorly formulated or poorly applied, as it sometimes develops a white residue between the two layers. Those are the "white spots" Apple is speaking of.

Oh - perhaps I should know what I'm talking about before I shoot my mouth off. This sounds way worse than the dead pixel thing

Good luck, then.

nagromme
Oct 13, 2003, 09:23 PM
Apple already takes back the ones with the problem.

Are people saying they should also take back PowerBooks that don't have the problem?

That makes sense for a safety recall... not in this case.

Daveman Deluxe
Oct 13, 2003, 10:15 PM
nagromme:

I agree whole heartedly. Apple should replace the ones that are a problem and should do what testing it can before the computer leaves the factory. Meanwhile, the problem should be looked in to (duh) and solved. That's about all that can be expected of Apple.