Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Just out of curiosity, is this Software Upgrade (20kb file) something that could be shared on multiple iPods? Or will it only work on your personal iPod.

Not saying I am going to do this... Just wondering...

Input from ppl who have actually payed for it would be most useful!

I would imagine this could possibly work on multiple iPods... The wireless n update worked on multiple iMacs back in the day...

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
................. if you could find the file.....

i looked, but i could not find it. i am pretty sure apple has taken care of this loophole....
EDIT: found it.
C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR USER NAME>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\Mobile Applications

want me to post it?:D

but...... not really, i paid 20 for that stupid 10kb file, im not going to do that.... i am going to copy it like 500 times so i cant loose it..

Pippen Man

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
................. if you could find the file.....

i looked, but i could not find it. i am pretty sure apple has taken care of this loophole....
EDIT: found it.
C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR USER NAME>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\Mobile Applications

want me to post it?:D

but...... not really, i paid 20 for that stupid 10kb file, im not going to do that.... i am going to copy it like 500 times so i cant loose it..

Please, for the sake of putting some hate back into Steve's wallet, can you post it?:eek:

NickEby03

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Mac OSX

Has anyone downloaded this on a mac yet and found the files location? 20 kb is all huh? Is that a dollar a kilobyte? Anyone want to send me a 20 kb text file explaining how to add songs to my iPod touch? It would be much help. Thanks.

Tasidious

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Can people who don't have a Mac computer buy the software update and install it?I say this because at the download section it says Mac Os v10.4 or later and it doesn't mention anything about Windows.I'm asking because i'm thinking of purchasing the update and i don't want to waste my money if it doesn't work on Windows.

chall5

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Can people who don't have a Mac computer buy the software update and install it?I say this because at the download section it says Mac Os v10.4 or later and it doesn't mention anything about Windows.I'm asking because i'm thinking of purchasing the update and i don't want to waste my money if it doesn't work on Windows.

I updated on Windows successfully

Nexxus

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
I can't find it on my PC. It's not where Piper Man said it was. I want a back up of this thing especially now that it removed my sample wallpaper file. can some one help me with that?

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I can't find it on my PC. It's not where Piper Man said it was. I want a back up of this thing especially now that it removed my sample wallpaper file. can some one help me with that?

go to windows explorer in the address bar put in %appdata% and this will take you to where you need to go, look for a folder called apple computers (or somethin like that) then browse in to there look for the itunes folder then I believe its the ipod update folder and in there will be ipsw file(s)

Tasidious

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah thats because the apps are already included in the 1.1.3 fw. The only thing this 10kb file does is that it modifies the plist and the apps appear on the main screen.

KFCTR

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2007
I asked one of the Apple employs and he said there iPod Touch's won't be shipping with the update until next week. So they reduced the current generation's price to 279$ so you can get the uupdate for the same price.

ikklejo

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2006
Islington, UK
one of the updates is the maps app, does only do US and Canada or is for everywhere (Including showing the Wi Fi hot spots)??
Also to use Gmail do you have to be connected to the internet??
Wondering whether to switch from hotmail to gmail?
Thanks
J

chall5

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
UK
The maps app does the UK and Europe, once you are connected via wi-fi its the same as it is on the PC

Yes you do have to be connected to the internet to use GMail

Idiot Box

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Doesn't Work on Mac?!?

Hi,
I don't usually post on these forums, just read with hope that I will find something useful. My problem is that I downloaded the upgrade last night and it won't work. I am running OSX Tiger 10.4.11, which is the latest, if it isn't my cpu isn't picking up on the software updates properly.
I did everything that I thought I needed to do.
I have the 1.1.3 touch update, the itunes update, and I paid for the apps.
When I connect the touch it syncs and stops.
It says that you have to disconnect it and the new apps should magically appear on the home screen.
There is nothing new.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Idiot Box

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Hi,
I don't usually post on these forums, just read with hope that I will find something useful. My problem is that I downloaded the upgrade last night and it won't work. I am running OSX Tiger 10.4.11, which is the latest, if it isn't my cpu isn't picking up on the software updates properly.
I did everything that I thought I needed to do.
I have the 1.1.3 touch update, the itunes update, and I paid for the apps.
When I connect the touch it syncs and stops.
It says that you have to disconnect it and the new apps should magically appear on the home screen.
There is nothing new.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Idiot Box

Had the same problem.

Solution (its not nice)

Firstly try plugging your iPod touch in, and using the 'Sync' button on the 'Summary' tab to sync the applications to iPod touch. If successful the information bar at the top of iTunes, while still stating 'Upating "iPod Name"' it should also switch (brief second) to 'Syncing Applications to "iPod Name"'

Ok if that doesn't work, which it didn't for me, here we go:

1. Unplug iPod
2. Uninstall iTunes
3. Uninstall Quicktime
4. Uninstall 'Apple Mobile Driver' if there
5. Uninstall 'Apple Software Update'
6. Goto C:/ and program files, and look for anything with 'Apple' or 'iPod' and delete it.

7. Reboot Computer
8. Install iTunes 7.6 from apple.com/itunes/download
9. Once installed, Plug iPod touch back in
10. iTunes should recognize iPod touch under devices.
11. Simply click 'Sync' again, on the summary tab of iTunes (bottom right) to sync applications to iPod touch.

Note: You must have the free version of 1.1.3 installed on ipod touch BEFORE attempting to sync the new features and applications.

Hope this resolves your issue. If it doesn't, you can contact iTunes directly by e-mail at http://www.apple.com/uk/support/itunes/store/buy_troubleshooting/

R-Fly

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
just want to put it out there, i just restored my ipod, and i put the apps back on right away...

Idiot Box

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
It works!

Hey,

I'd like to thank PMB and Razorianfly.
By mishmashing your information I was able to get the programs to work.
I tried copying the .ipg file to ipod games folder.
I am using a Mac remember, so I didn't really understand the C: idea.
I understand the PC structure, I just couldn't apply it.
But by using spotlight to find the file and attempting to restore the touch.
It ended up working.

My method took me in a direction that may be helpful to others.

The restore didn't work, I kept getting an "unexplained error" or something to
that effect. So I decided to switch the ipod back to auto-sync.
By switching it, the ipod was erased and then magically the apps did show up.

Then all there was to do was repopulate the data and we're all set.
I will keep reading these forums thanks to this.

Thanks again,
Idiot Box

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Hey,

It ended up working.

Thanks again,
Idiot Box

Glad to hear you got the update to work. Sorry, I mis-read what system you were using, next time i'll try and give accurate instructions, :rolleyes:.

I'm waiting for iTunes to refund me £26.00 after I was charged three times for the update.

R-Fly

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
Hey,

It ended up working.

Thanks again,
Idiot Box

glad i could help!

Merkin

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
has it been announced why it is called the january software upgrade? what happens february 1? price up, price down, no longer available?

Zack45668

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
I found the file on my mac.

Its located in /Users/(Your Username)/Library/iTunes/Mobile Applications

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.