PDA

View Full Version : How was there NOT "One more thing...." from Apple Today?? (Macworld 08.... did suck)

christall109
Jan 15, 2008, 08:42 PM
When Steve today said I have 4 things to tell you today, in my head I thought well there must be 5 because of the "One more thing...". However, THIS NEVER CAME and when Steve introduced the performer.... I felt incomplete.

Steve even wasn't his usual charismatic self. Poor Steve, he looked really tired and almost sick.

The products announced today were all in one way or another already known about. I can't believe just how accurate these rumors were.
-MacBook Air
-The 1.1.3 update for the iPhone
-Movie Rentals
-:apple:TV upgrade

Macworld 08 felt incomplete... like it was just getting started then it was over. It seems like a set up for future innovations to come. I feel right now, the same as when I finished Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. It seems like this Macworld is just a preview of what's to come.

My own $.02-

February SDK for iPhone will be released in an "iPhone event".
I can easily see native apps like iChat, and apps from Sling and Facebook being announced. The iPhone 3G will be announced and will have an increase in memory to 16GB. Also we will get a video camera and copy and paste.

Then, I can see another Mac even (much like the one in August) being used to announce revisions to the MacBook, MacBook Pro, and Cinema Displays (Lower Prices and iSight integrated in them). Probably mutitouch trackpads throughout the line. Who knows maybe the price of the MacBook Air will be reduced (AND WHY IS IT $999 for a SSD?!)

Who knows. All I know is that I'm still waiting for "One more thing...."

KingYaba
Jan 15, 2008, 08:44 PM
The "one more thing" is stupid and I am glad he didn't repeat it.

dawnraid
Jan 15, 2008, 09:16 PM
Lol Harry Potter, Cough Cough, Nicccceeeee

GSMiller
Jan 15, 2008, 09:16 PM
Well what are the odds of Apple releasing something as big as the iPhone two years in a row? I'm quite pleased with Macworld, especially with Time Capsule as I am in the market for not only a wireless router but an external hard drive as well.

bov
Jan 15, 2008, 09:20 PM
everyone just expected way too much...

David G.
Jan 15, 2008, 09:24 PM
There was no "one more thing" at last years MacWorld, so yeah.

torpy
Jan 15, 2008, 09:27 PM

Wasn't it safari for windows?

David G.
Jan 15, 2008, 09:30 PM
Oh, as for the Harry Potter thing you described, Rowling herself said that HBP and DH are really only 1 book in her mind, where HBP is part 1 and DH is part 2 of the ending. I should know because if there are two things I'm a fanboy of in this world it's Harry Potter and :apple:. I guess I'm like Andrew Sims in that respect.:cool:

Robbadore64
Jan 15, 2008, 09:43 PM
I was hoping he would go back and touch the MacBook Air's display and.........

Not that I am in the market or could afford it, but that would have been pretty sexy.

coolant113
Jan 15, 2008, 09:48 PM
I really wish there was a tablet mac released.. but the macworld was ok wasnt the best one:apple::apple:

ClassicMac247
Jan 15, 2008, 09:51 PM
That would have been really nice. i wanted displays too.

I really wish there was a tablet mac released.. but the macworld was ok wasnt the best one:apple::apple:

Zwhaler
Jan 16, 2008, 12:50 AM
I was hoping for new ACDs, but OP, you shouldn't assume Steve will always give a "one more thing", because then you will almost always end up dissappointed when it doesn't give it.

Luis
Jan 16, 2008, 01:27 AM
Wasn't it safari for windows?
That was WWDC

torpy
Jan 16, 2008, 02:17 AM
That was WWDC

Whoops, my bad :o

mrfaize
Jan 16, 2008, 03:46 AM
That was WWDC

Is there a WWDC 2008 ??

chkdg8
Jan 16, 2008, 04:28 AM
Stole the words right out of my mouth. This is the problem with many of the fans in wanting instant gratification. The smartest thing that Jobs has said was that all of these products where just introduced in the first 2 weeks of this year with 50 more weeks to go. Of course everyone is disappointed, including myself in hoping that there would be at least a leopard update to 10.5.2. There was strong talk about that but we still have WWDC 2008. Expect some huge bombs to be dropped then. Leopard update (if not sooner), iphone update (3g or a new model with more memory), new displays ect. Time flies.

cmcbridejr
Jan 16, 2008, 05:17 AM
First of all, the world's thinnest laptop was revealed, a major technological feat that no other manufacturer has produced (hell, no one has even come close to the beauty of the MacBook Pro yet).

Then, as an Apple TV owner, I am really happy about the updates.

Finally, pulling a wafer thin laptop out of a manilla folder is much cooler than just saying, "oh, I have one more thing."

Maybe if you did not spend every bleeding moment searching for and speculating about rumors then you would be more surprised and happy about the announcements.

Apple is certainly at least a year ahead of the competition. What else do you want?

Maybe you need to watch a Michael Dell keynote to know you already have it so good.

phungy
Jan 16, 2008, 05:20 AM
First of all, the world's thinnest laptop was revealed, a major technological feat that no other manufacturer has produced (hell, no one has even come close to the beauty of the MacBook Pro yet).

The Sony Vaio X505 is just as thin and was released about 4 years ago (but for a premium, top model was $3999)

joseph2166
Jan 16, 2008, 05:45 AM

And even then, after the announcement of the iPhone, people were going 'Mac World 07 was crap - where were the mac things?'. Some people just never learn to cap their expectations.

NC MacGuy
Jan 16, 2008, 06:37 AM
Dude, you suck!

I don't remember ever seeing a portable without the option of user replaceable battery. I could be wrong. Thin but same footprint as present MB.

wmikulic
Jan 16, 2008, 06:46 AM
There was a lot of stuff missing:

Mac Mini v.2
Apple Macintosh (a desktop with desktop components half the size and price of Mac Pro)
The iNewton - a larger iPod touch with more power
Blu-Ray support (playback and authoring)

Sky Blue
Jan 16, 2008, 06:49 AM

Mac Mini v.2
Apple Macintosh (a desktop with desktop components half the size and price of Mac Pro)

stuff missing, or stuff you made up?

illitrate23
Jan 16, 2008, 07:11 AM
When Steve today said I have 4 things to tell you today, in my head I thought well there must be 5 because of the "One more thing...". However, THIS NEVER CAME and when Steve introduced the performer.... I felt incomplete.

the whole point on the "one more thing" thing originally was that it was unexpected. you thought all the great news had already been done, and then suddenly, here's something that's even better and it takes you and everyone by surprise
but Jobs knows it has come to be expected. it's not longer a surprise, it's de rigueur. So now he doesn't do it. And so it's a surprise again - not in the same way, but it still gets people talking, still gets people writing news articles about it - and when they write those, they're gonna mention all new Apple products that he announced and so that's free advertising direct to all those who didn't bother to watch the keynote.
if he had done a "one more thing" there'd be half the press coverage than there has been today

wmikulic
Jan 16, 2008, 07:15 AM
stuff missing, or stuff you made up?

That's stuff many, many people are willing to buy. I won't be buying anything shown yesterday, waiting for stuff I'll actually use.

cmcbridejr
Jan 16, 2008, 07:40 AM
"The Sony Vaio X505 is just as thin and was released about 4 years ago (but for a premium, top model was $3999)."

Yeah, well they are not doing it with today's most advanced technologies.

I mean, come on, Intel made an exclusive 60% smaller core 2 duo chip just for this Apple product. Talk about a strong partnership.

Sony used a weak single core pentium m processer (and it was even considered weak back then).

Don't be a muppet. Nobody has a laptop like this.

cmcbridejr
Jan 16, 2008, 07:47 AM
"I don't remember ever seeing a portable without the option of user replaceable battery. I could be wrong. Thin but same footprint as present MB."

Whether you like it or not, Apple is in the business to make money, just like every other corporation.

Perhaps, they are trying to get people to invest more in Apple Care so they don't complain about their battery dying later or anything else that would make for a bad Apple experience.

You have to pay for quality support and extended service.

Just look at Dell. Their support is typically free of charge with their cheap computers, but you end up dealing with some boneheads when something goes wrong.

Aries326
Jan 16, 2008, 07:51 AM

Mac Mini v.2

Mac Mini v.2- A shame there wasn't a new Mac Mini. I've come across a few people coming over from the dark side saying they did it with the help of a Mac Mini.

Apple Macintosh - Remember, when Steve came back, he simplified the product lines. Coming out with something in between the iMac and the Mac Pro would totally go against his line of thought. Although, I wouldn't mind something in a Mac Pro enclosure that is something in between the iMac and Mac Pro.

iNewton - Again, who cares. Just watch the iPod Touch morph into a PDA type device. The SDK will work with it as well, right?

Blu-Ray Support - Yeah, it would be nice to see Apple do Blu-Ray. Maybe at the end of this year when HD-DVD is officially dead and the prices of Blu-Ray players drop can we see Blu-Ray drives in Apple computers.

kappa76
Jan 16, 2008, 08:12 AM
I thought the overall keynote was great. I've had an apple TV for awhile now & love it so the addition of rentals was a big plus.

The Macbook Air is cool for those of us that have a a full Mac at home but want something portable enough just to do the basics on the run.

The Capsule is great, I'll definitely be picking one of these up.

what was missing for me was additional features for the Apple TV besides rentals. Not that I'm being greedy, ok maybe a little but I was really hoping for the addition of Safari & possibly Google Maps. I mean this stuff is already on my iPhone, why not on my Apple TV?

I didn't find the updates to the iPhone to be that spectacular.

wcmary
Jan 16, 2008, 08:21 AM
Apple will never release anything like the Newton while Steve Jobs is there, because then he'd have to admit that John Sculley may have had a good idea or two...;)

asphalt-proof
Jan 16, 2008, 08:28 AM
I thought the keynote was pretty good. I really like the Time Capsule and the movie rentals. The MBA... not so much. But then, i am not in the market for one either. To me, it was more of a "who has the biggest peener" in the PC world. Or, umm, thinnest.

I am much more excited about the the coming SDK. I can't wait to see what developers come up with. That will get me to buy a new iPhone.

I really don't think they will be announcing a 3g version anytime soon though. That is something that would have to goo though a government agency (FCC?) testing process and that process is fairly transparent.

pilotError
Jan 16, 2008, 08:29 AM
Blu-Ray Support - Yeah, it would be nice to see Apple do Blu-Ray. Maybe at the end of this year when HD-DVD is officially dead and the prices of Blu-Ray players drop can we see Blu-Ray drives in Apple computers.

You have to wonder if blu-ray is a bargaining chip to get the studios on board...

or even worse, a way to get you to use their services instead...

sigamy
Jan 16, 2008, 08:40 AM
The last thing a hip and exciting company like Apple wants is to become predictable. "One more thing..." was becoming predictable so they've changed it up.

Apple product releases and keynotes seem to take on a pattern for 3-4 years and then after that pattern a new MO is adopted.

Rawn027
Jan 16, 2008, 08:55 AM
"I don't remember ever seeing a portable without the option of user replaceable battery. I could be wrong. Thin but same footprint as present MB."

Same 2D footprint because of the screen yet the 3d footprint is much smaller.

The battery replacement is free, you just need to pay for the battery. I think that is a perfect solution to the "battery problem"

snickelfritz
Jan 16, 2008, 08:57 AM
I'm buying the AppleTV and Time Capsule.
This stuff is just too cool to pass up.
Hope it actually works.

olternaut
Jan 16, 2008, 09:03 AM
Dude, you suck!

Then, as an Apple TV owner, I am really happy about the updates.

Finally, pulling a wafer thin laptop out of a manilla folder is much cooler than just saying, "oh, I have one more thing."

Maybe if you did not spend every bleeding moment searching for and speculating about rumors then you would be more surprised and happy about the announcements.

Apple is certainly at least a year ahead of the competition. What else do you want?

Maybe you need to watch a Michael Dell keynote to know you already have it so good you whining brat.

Geezus dude I agreed with you at first then I just got disgusted. Why don't you just put a bullet into him while your at it?

nickane
Jan 16, 2008, 09:39 AM
the whole point on the "one more thing" thing originally was that it was unexpected. you thought all the great news had already been done, and then suddenly, here's something that's even better and it takes you and everyone by surprise
but Jobs knows it has come to be expected. it's not longer a surprise, it's de rigueur. So now he doesn't do it. And so it's a surprise again - not in the same way, but it still gets people talking, still gets people writing news articles about it - and when they write those, they're gonna mention all new Apple products that he announced and so that's free advertising direct to all those who didn't bother to watch the keynote.
if he had done a "one more thing" there'd be half the press coverage than there has been today

Exactly. As i said in the other thread on the same subject, Jobsy put it to bed with an event called "One More Thing" in early '06 (can't remember what for). Its annoying tho, cos I still hope for it, but largely pointless given that rumour-sites such as TS and 9to5Mac have meant that the One More Thing stopped being much of a surprise anyways.

Fingers crossed for the Final Cut announcement today to be completely unexpected (ie phenomenon rather than bluray).

ZLurker
Jan 16, 2008, 10:16 AM
Is there a WWDC 2008 ??

Yes there is, its annual.
I think its usualy around the second week in june.

Jan 16, 2008, 10:41 AM
That's stuff many, many people are willing to buy. I won't be buying anything shown yesterday, waiting for stuff I'll actually use.

Care to quantify "many, many people"? Got a market research study that supports it?

I'm not doubting these would be cool innovations... but even I had to scale back my expectations and admit, realistically, people are not ready to adopt my dream computer... a full blown multitouch tablet with an upright induction dock. It's going to take some gradual evolutions and some attention (by apple) to the reactions over the current products they just announced.

I just get irritated when people who frequent one corner of the internet, and a geeky niche at that, assume that they and their tech drooling peers (me included) are representative of the views of hundreds of millions of Americans or billions of people world wide. It's egocentrism to absurd proportions.

You mean to tell me that the MacBook Air somehow wasn't a product of what Apple's own research told them about what consumers want?

It's just as unsubstantiated as a Creationist misreading one study and going "SEE! SEE! 150 years of thousands of papers of resarch on evolutionary theory are ALL WRONG!"

If you think the above example sounds outrageous, you're absolutely right...

Next time you want to claim that everyone and their dog wants exactly what you want, try to present objective evidence of it.

MyMac8MyPC
Jan 16, 2008, 06:26 PM
Mac Mini v.2- A shame there wasn't a new Mac Mini. I've come across a few people coming over from the dark side saying they did it with the help of a Mac Mini.

I can't begin to tell you how many people I've seen mention this. It's a shame they didn't release it but there is always WWDC 2008 right? This is only the first two weeks of the year and already they've done a lot ;)

:apple:

gescom
Jan 16, 2008, 06:28 PM
I think they have a lot to do this year and the hard part is planning how to spread it out over the whole year. :cool:

bc008
Jan 16, 2008, 07:20 PM

LOL!

Agreed.

gazfocus
Jan 16, 2008, 08:28 PM
Yes there is, its annual.
I think its usualy around the second week in june.

Now that would be great :D

My birthday is at the end of June so if new products came out at WWDC, that would make excellent presents both from myself and my family for my birthday :D

Just looked a WWDC was 11th - 15th June :D

gazfocus
Jan 16, 2008, 08:31 PM
Exactly. As i said in the other thread on the same subject, Jobsy put it to bed with an event called "One More Thing" in early '06 (can't remember what for). Its annoying tho, cos I still hope for it, but largely pointless given that rumour-sites such as TS and 9to5Mac have meant that the One More Thing stopped being much of a surprise anyways.

Fingers crossed for the Final Cut announcement today to be completely unexpected (ie phenomenon rather than bluray).

Steve did a 'One last thing' at WWDC 2007 and it was the iPhone.

t0mat0
Jan 16, 2008, 08:50 PM
What is it with some people?
Would you be complaining if he hadn't gone "Boom"?
So some people are actually saying - if Jobs had said 3 words (OMT) then it'd be fine, but because he didn't say that before introducing the last item, it's a crap MWSF?
There was a theme - wireless, and jobs had to rattle through a fair bit (and the musical performance was given a decent time too). I thought it was quite fitting really.

You've got to understand the logic - Jobs really meant it when he was pushing home what's already out there/ to come in 2 weeks. It's going to be one last thing every darn month this year I'd bet.
Touch screen, MBP upgrade, etc etc etc. MP late 08 upgrade, iPhone bump, 3G iPhone, Touch bump, a new iPhone design, multitouch pads on the MBP, etc etc.

It's annoying it isn't lots of things, then quiet for a few months i admit, but that's how it is with Apple's product lines - they're specifically not all synced, so they can pace out the products so they're strong all year. (And what a year - Apple need to be strong in 2008 which is predicted to be a big ol depression of a year, hence consumption by consumers down, so they need strong lines of product, that people will still sell).

iphonemacdude
Jan 16, 2008, 09:34 PM
The iPhone 3G will be announced and will have an increase in memory to 16GB.

Why do so many people think that one year after the iphone was unveiled and only 201 days since it's been on the market that a major hardware update will be coming? That doesn't make any business sense. First of all, that'll anger early adapters (and we already saw what happened when the price was lowered in September) and then those people who just bought iphones for the holidays will feel cheated.

They're selling 20,000/day, so why a new model?

What do I do with my iphone if a new one comes out in a few weeks? If there's a new iphone, it'll be next january at the earliest. The software goodies will keep people more than entertained and loving the iphone for this year. Can't we just love the iphone for what it is today and be patient for another version some time in the future?

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 16, 2008, 09:37 PM
Steve did a 'One last thing' at WWDC 2007 and it was the iPhone.

Um... better recheck your notes.

MyMac8MyPC
Jan 16, 2008, 09:48 PM
Can't we just love the iphone for what it is today and be patient for another version some time in the future?

Well actually we've heard from some pretty reliable sources that a 3G iPhone will be on the shelves by 6/08 ;) WWDC 2008? :D

angrynrdrckr
Jan 16, 2008, 10:06 PM
The Sony Vaio X505 is just as thin and was released about 4 years ago (but for a premium, top model was $3999)

that's not true, the x505 is .83" thick, whereas the MBA is from .16-.76" thick.

Mykbibby
Jan 16, 2008, 11:02 PM

amen

gazfocus
Jan 17, 2008, 03:12 AM
Um... better recheck your notes.

I better check my notes?

Hmm... I think he said something like..."so there you have it, Safari on Windows...but I have one more thing, and that of course is the iPhone"

nickane
Jan 17, 2008, 05:53 AM
I better check my notes?

Hmm... I think he said something like..."so there you have it, Safari on Windows...but I have one more thing, and that of course is the iPhone"

Fair enough, if you say so, but it kinda defeats the purpose of an OMT if its about a product that's already been announced and was due to come out imminently anyways. The iPhone getting mentioned at WWDC was hardly a surprise after all, if anything it could hardly have gone without a mention.

Tom J
Jan 17, 2008, 07:43 AM
OMT was becoming too predictable. Product leaks and random speculation in the fervor leading up to MW make it difficult to be surprised about ANY new products. I think we'll see OMT again but only as a result of an 11th hour decision when Apple truly has managed to keep the wraps on their new iDoohickey. (Opps, did I spoil the surprise for next year?, sorry)

I liked the envelope reveal but he could have had more fun with it. Like a courier walking onstage and handing Steve a brown envelope.

Brianstorm91
Jan 17, 2008, 07:44 AM
Because there wasn't anything to begin with?
;)

fraggle
Jan 17, 2008, 08:46 AM
I was hoping he would go back and touch the MacBook Air's display and.........

Not that I am in the market or could afford it, but that would have been pretty sexy.

No, it would have been pretty useless. Why do people always want to touch things? Has anyone ever thought about how to use a laptop with a touchscreen? Usability nightmare!

fraggle
Jan 17, 2008, 08:48 AM
5. You forgot the "Fifth" item at MacWorld: The REALLY slick Time Capsule. Finally wireless time machine backups without Mac OS X Server. A GREAT addition to Apples lineup of good products. So stop being a little bitch and be happy that Apple is kicking ass.

What about the existing Airport Express + external disk = AirDisk that never worked properly? Don't give me "kicking ass" but fix the broken products first!

Robbadore64
Jan 18, 2008, 08:37 AM
No, it would have been pretty useless. Why do people always want to touch things? Has anyone ever thought about how to use a laptop with a touchscreen? Usability nightmare!

For that same reason we can right-click instead of using keyboard shortcuts, their called options. I personally don't see many uses for a touchscreen in a notebook or desktop, but with all the gestures you can now do with that multi-touch trackpad..... I guess first things first, you need to have the pointer where it needs to be to select what what you are gesturing against. Almost seems easier to lift your hand six inches and touch the picture you want to rotate. Like I said, just another option. Like the option we have to NOT rent an HD movie for $5 and use it for only 24 hours :-)

nickinVictoria
Jan 18, 2008, 10:44 AM
Like many I have seen SJ do his 90 minute show. What always surprises me is how he can miss what the needs of the buyers are, while catering his marketing machine to more markets:

1) support for VINE built in to 10.5.2
2) overhaul the processors and price on mac Mini
3) Announce more countries using iPhone
4) Announce the shipping date of 10.5.2 with more features. MacWorld is a user show and give the users more features
5) Lower prices on the laptops, servers, desktops. Show the Apple shipping computer matrix yesterday and now today... lower prices, more features
6) This one announcement that has to be right up there... Blu-Ray... he didn't even mention it.
7) iTV with a built-in bit torrent client would be more interesting then a movie rental business that I can not watch on my iPod video!
8) Time Capsule with iTunes server support built in....

Your thoughts on the above and please don't waste your time commenting on me.....

ckurowic
Jan 18, 2008, 11:00 AM

Mac Mini v.2

You sound like this stuff was promised to you. Remember this is a rumors site, not a fact site. Just chill and we'll see what they release, sound good? Just be happy with what you have got now and if something better comes out, well buy it have you have the means. If not, then still be happy with what you have got because they are fantastic products.

fr33 loader
Jan 18, 2008, 12:14 PM
I don't think Blu-ray and MBa can go in the same announcement. They are just two opposing forces. Plus it with all this wireless tech, Blu-ray is already dead even before it becomes the clear winner of HD format war.

sunfast
Jan 18, 2008, 01:02 PM
We get these threads every year!

*Why didn't Steve mention x, y, z, I read about it on macrumors it must be true

*Gosh, steve looks really thin and ill

*Why no updates for (insert any apple product)

I, personally, enjoy the keynote itself. I like Steve's style, I love the way he makes every thing sound revolutionary and I like his passion - his interjections really break the wall between presenter and audience.

But obviously people won't alway be happy. We all want different things so we can't all be satisfied.

raccoontail
Jan 18, 2008, 02:52 PM
I don't remember ever seeing a portable without the option of user replaceable battery. I could be wrong. Thin but same footprint as present MB.

The Sharp Actius (tiny even even by current subnote standards) made its debut in 1999 without a user-replaceable battery. Mine had to get fedexed to a national repair center twice in two years for a new one.

Thoughts on Macworld '08:
iPhone: No announcement on 3G probably means this is still a ways off. 1.13 update was neat, but still no way to put the "contacts" button on the home screen? GRRRR....

Macs: No new mac desktop doesn't surprise me at all. Apple updated the macpro and the iMac within the past 6 months and wouldn't want to cannibalize those lines while they are still perceived as fresh. The MBA just missed the mark. It should have been called the macbook duo with a dock for the office like the duos of the past. Instead it's hard to justify the price premium over the macbook for slight reductions in thickness and weight and a major loss in functionality.

Brianstorm91
Jan 18, 2008, 03:12 PM
Cannibalise sales
I'm going to try and get this sentence, or anything linked to this sentence, banned from Mac Rumours.

Oh dear, it appears that Jimmy bought a Mac Pro instead of an iMac...

fraggle
Jan 20, 2008, 11:18 AM
Almost seems easier to lift your hand six inches and touch the picture you want to rotate.

The problem is: Try holding your hands like this for a few mintes and you will see why no one will ever use an interface like this. There is a reason why multi-touch is used in trackpads, not screens... On a tablet things might be different but for a laptop a touchscreen is useless.

nickane
Jan 24, 2008, 05:26 AM
I'm going to try and get this sentence, or anything linked to this sentence, banned from Mac Rumours.

So true. The last time people were bandying around that one it ending up becoming the world's first mainstream wifi platform and I honestly think that the presence of an ipod touch does "cannibalise sales" (sorry) of an iphone, whilst costing the same retail and enjoying none of the same continued revenue that the AT&T pricing model rewards Apple with.

But the fact is, Apple didn't want to be left behind in the PMP market that it dominates just to help out its move into a new market (telecommunications). Nor does Apple want to lose its semi-professional customers by denying them a mid-range machine with enough upgradeability that graphic designers/photographers/music producers don't have to buy a new imac every 12 months just to be able to use their pro suites productively.

These people are turning to Windows machines more often than they otherwise would if there was a midrange tower. That's got nothing to do with cannibalism. Apple losing sales to itself is the least of its worries.

hulugu
Jan 24, 2008, 12:30 PM
So true. The last time people were bandying around that one it ending up becoming the world's first mainstream wifi platform and I honestly think that the presence of an ipod touch does "cannibalise sales" (sorry) of an iphone, whilst costing the same retail and enjoying none of the same continued revenue that the AT&T pricing model rewards Apple with.

But the fact is, Apple didn't want to be left behind in the PMP market that it dominates just to help out its move into a new market (telecommunications). Nor does Apple want to lose its semi-professional customers by denying them a mid-range machine with enough upgradeability that graphic designers/photographers/music producers don't have to buy a new imac every 12 months just to be able to use their pro suites productively.

These people are turning to Windows machines more often than they otherwise would if there was a midrange tower. That's got nothing to do with cannibalism. Apple losing sales to itself is the least of its worries.

I don't see how the iPod Touch cannibalizes sales. They're similar platforms, but if you want a phone you're going to buy an iPhone, but if you want an iPod you want an iPod Touch. Furthermore, I'd say that if anything is going to eat the other, the iPhone is a more desirable product because it encompasses everything the iPod Touch does, plus it's a phone.

Now, as for the need for a mid-range tower, I agree with you. The iMac does fill this gap, but there is definitely a group who believe they need an upgradable tower. I think they're putting too much emphasis on a requirement they're unlikely to use, but nonetheless Apple is giving them apoplectic fits. I'd love to see an xMac, but I can't help but think that users moving to Windows because they can't have a mid-tower are too married to hardware requirements rather than software, which is what really matters.

MacNerd12
Jan 24, 2008, 02:51 PM

Steve even wasn't his usual charismatic self. Poor Steve, he looked really tired and almost sick.

The products announced today were all in one way or another already known about. I can't believe just how accurate these rumors were.
-MacBook Air
-The 1.1.3 update for the iPhone
-Movie Rentals
-:apple:TV upgrade

Macworld 08 felt incomplete... like it was just getting started then it was over. It seems like a set up for future innovations to come. I feel right now, the same as when I finished Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. It seems like this Macworld is just a preview of what's to come.

My own $.02-

February SDK for iPhone will be released in an "iPhone event".
I can easily see native apps like iChat, and apps from Sling and Facebook being announced. The iPhone 3G will be announced and will have an increase in memory to 16GB. Also we will get a video camera and copy and paste.

Then, I can see another Mac even (much like the one in August) being used to announce revisions to the MacBook, MacBook Pro, and Cinema Displays (Lower Prices and iSight integrated in them). Probably mutitouch trackpads throughout the line. Who knows maybe the price of the MacBook Air will be reduced (AND WHY IS IT $999 for a SSD?!)

Who knows. All I know is that I'm still waiting for "One more thing...."

I was going to go to MacWorld for the first time, and I am glad I didn't waist my money. That was the WORST Keynote he has ever done. I was seriously pissed off when he didn't even do "One more thing....". Apple REALLY slacked off on this one.

Mr. Mustard
Jan 24, 2008, 04:42 PM
You can't please everyone all the time. Especially this group. Seems no one will be happy until Apple comes out with a new iphone, new macbooks, pros, flash based ipods (large ones), some sort of teleportaion device and a floating car.

phoxrenvatio
Jan 24, 2008, 04:56 PM

Whether you like it or not, Apple is in the business to make money, just like every other corporation.

Perhaps, they are trying to get people to invest more in Apple Care so they don't complain about their battery dying later or anything else that would make for a bad Apple experience.

Just look at Dell. Their support is typically free of charge with their cheap computers, but you end up dealing with some boneheads when something goes wrong.

boneheads from India....

The problem is: Try holding your hands like this for a few mintes and you will see why no one will ever use an interface like this. There is a reason why multi-touch is used in trackpads, not screens... On a tablet things might be different but for a laptop a touchscreen is useless.

for a quick movement, another OPTION, that's not too bad lemme try it... there didn't make my arm sore or anything, hmm... i could actually see myself using such an interface, similar to how i use my ipod...

dejo
Jan 24, 2008, 05:05 PM
You can't please everyone all the time. Especially this group. Seems no one will be happy until Apple comes out with a ...floating car.
The Crumpler booth at Macworld was showing leaked photos of this very thing:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gruber/2215632045/in/set-72157603787880195/
;)

MacNerd12
Jan 25, 2008, 05:06 AM
You can't please everyone all the time. Especially this group. Seems no one will be happy until Apple comes out with a new iphone, new macbooks, pros, flash based ipods (large ones), some sort of teleportaion device and a floating car.

I didn't want an iPhone. I didn't want flash based iPods (I don't have one either), I want an affordable Mid-Tower, like many other people. MacBook Air is a waste of time. I would never buy one. I need power, I don't care about how thin it is.

Nichod
Jan 25, 2008, 08:08 AM

Modbook?

Nichod
Jan 25, 2008, 08:10 AM

Sony's are awful computers. Bogged down with useless software. And as you stated WAY overpriced.

Nichod
Jan 25, 2008, 08:11 AM

Mac Mini v.2

See I think things like that will be happening. I just don't see them as EVENT worthy.

Nichod
Jan 25, 2008, 08:13 AM

Applecare is CHEAP for what you get. And they are reasonable. I loved how when you buy your computer you have time to buy Applecare later. And get this...they don't charge 40% more like most companies!

Mal
Jan 25, 2008, 08:15 AM
I didn't want an iPhone. I didn't want flash based iPods (I don't have one either), I want an affordable Mid-Tower, like many other people. MacBook Air is a waste of time. I would never buy one. I need power, I don't care about how thin it is.

Look at your screenname. Look at your statements. Apple isn't gunning for your sector of the market. It's not a significant sector to them (and probably rightfully so, there's not enough of you and you complain too much). Maybe for you, the MacBook Air is a waste of time. Don't buy one. But they've generated a ton of mostly positive press for Apple, and will probably sell quite well. This mid-range tower you pine for would have got a much different reaction: "Meh, everyone else has had those for years, there's nothing to see here."

jW

Nichod
Jan 25, 2008, 08:18 AM
that's not true, the x505 is .83" thick, whereas the MBA is from .16-.76" thick.

That calls for a "ooooooh snap"

sushi
Jan 25, 2008, 08:29 AM
I'd settle for the teleportation device. :)

Seriously, I thought that it was pretty good overall.