PDA

View Full Version : What about Mac Book Pro?

Blunk
Jan 15, 2008, 10:04 PM
I have to say that I'm disappointed with the 08' Keynote beacuase Apple forgot about the Mac Book Pro. Maybe they should had add things like the new Intel that
apple didn't upgrade the Mac Book Pro to the new Intel Penryn core and
other things like the Multi-gesture track pad from the Air.
Any rumors about that?

eddietr
Jan 15, 2008, 10:07 PM
I think you'll see Penryn in the next few weeks. I have a feeling we're going to see upgrades every 6-8 weeks this year. MBP, iPhone, iPods, etc spaced more evenly throughout the year.

pkoch1
Jan 15, 2008, 10:09 PM
I have to say that I'm disappointed with the 08' Keynote beacuase Apple forgot about the Mac Book Pro.

Oh shoot! We forgot about the MacBook Pro! Can we update it in time? Oh, man we always forget that it exists!!!

McGiord
Jan 15, 2008, 10:10 PM
I also was expecting good news for the MacBook Pro...
It seems that we must wait more...
:confused:
________
Ferrari F1 640 history (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari_F1_640)

Aperture
Jan 15, 2008, 10:11 PM
Remember, MBP is a Pro product. Macworld is a consumer show. (Despite the MBA, I think that is also more a professional product) We'll see MBP updates soon enough.

gescom
Jan 15, 2008, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I a thinking MBP will surface just like Mac Pro did.

theLimit
Jan 15, 2008, 10:16 PM
I predict :cool: (hope?) that a silent update to the MBP will happen in the next four weeks.

Blunk
Jan 15, 2008, 10:37 PM
I hope so...
Im note from the USA and i will travel there in some weeks to visit some friends and to buy a MacBook Pro for me!

Besides that i was think of doinf a upgrade to the memory...
Where do you recomend me to buy it?
I looked on newegg and found this two. They are compatible Right??
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134560
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134373

I hope the 'Pro gets and upgrade before i go to the states

byeehaaw
Jan 15, 2008, 11:11 PM
there was rumors a macbook pro update would come out tom the 16th but i doubt it! best bet is proly may ? anyway wht i really wanted to see was a leopard update!

schreck
Jan 15, 2008, 11:56 PM
I hope so...
Im note from the USA and i will travel there in some weeks to visit some friends and to buy a MacBook Pro for me!

Besides that i was think of doinf a upgrade to the memory...
I looked on newegg and found this two. They are compatible Right??
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134560
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134373

I hope the 'Pro gets and upgrade before i go to the states

Your first link appears to be just fine for the current MBP. The second one appears to me to be desktop ram, though it says "for Apple notebook." The fact that the image doesn't match up is enough for me to say no for the second link.

ArmyKnight12
Jan 16, 2008, 12:05 AM
what about the Mac Mini?

00Piano
Jan 16, 2008, 04:28 AM
Remember, MBP is a Pro product. Macworld is a consumer show. (Despite the MBA, I think that is also more a professional product) We'll see MBP updates soon enough.

i totally agree with you, aperture... therefore, a useful amount of "professional" patience is the key!

a general question 2 the readers of this thread:
how is it... when the new MBP will be released, are the prices going to be higher in the beginning and then dive after - say - two or three weeks? i mean, how has that been in the past... never observed it actively.therefore my question.

sincerely yours

durant0s
Jan 16, 2008, 10:39 AM
i totally agree with you, aperture... therefore, a useful amount of "professional" patience is the key!

a general question 2 the readers of this thread:
how is it... when the new MBP will be released, are the prices going to be higher in the beginning and then dive after - say - two or three weeks? i mean, how has that been in the past... never observed it actively.therefore my question.

sincerely yours

I would hope they stay consistent with what they are now. I mean how much higher could they go?? Maybe I shouldn't ask that. Anyways, I've never really watched prices changes either so my only guess is they won't increase. My deal is I'm at a big divide right now. I'm about to buy a notebook but cannot choose between the new Air or the Pro. Once I buy the amenities I need for the Macbook Air I could buy the lower grade pro for cheaper and still have a better machine. I really really like the portability of the new machine though. If there isnt a mac book pro update soon I might be getting an Air.

StuPidQPid
Jan 16, 2008, 10:47 AM
Don't forget that the MacBook Pro is an existing product. Thus Apple won't announce an update until the existing inventory is down and the new product is ready or just about shipping. Why would they announce it in advance, as they would risk losing sales on the existing product. My guess you'll (we'll) just have a to wait a little while longer (2-4 weeks?). I hope so at least, as I'm waiting to upgrade too... :)

Sbrocket
Jan 16, 2008, 12:42 PM
MacBook Pro updates may have overshadowed the release of the Air which is why I think Apple didn't want to do it at MWSF's keynote. Updates are coming soon, though. Expect to see some more rumors in the coming weeks.

thegeist
Jan 16, 2008, 12:53 PM
They are going to announce a bunch of updates this year and wanted to spread it out. (IMHO)

McGiord
Jan 16, 2008, 11:43 PM
I hope so...

I always buy RAM and HDD from www.macsales.com .
Good customer service and quick delivery, they do accept International Credit Cards, some other online stores don't.
________
Honda SH150i history (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_SH150i)

eric55lv
Jan 16, 2008, 11:51 PM
there was rumors a macbook pro update would come out tom the 16th but i doubt it! best bet is proly may ? anyway wht i really wanted to see was a leopard update!

In spring the 3G iPhone is coming out so yeah probally in May

captnfun
Jan 17, 2008, 12:20 AM
I am still hoping the update includes a blu-ray burner. Sony and Dell both have blu-ray burners in their pro laptops.

I am hoping for a blu-ray event where they introduce blu-ray drives available across the pro lines. If you want to own any movies at all at 1080p, it would fill hard-drives fast, no matter how big they are.

D-Love
Jan 17, 2008, 12:30 AM
I am still hoping the update includes a blu-ray burner. Sony and Dell both have blu-ray burners in their pro laptops.

I am hoping for a blu-ray event where they introduce blu-ray drives available across the pro lines. If you want to own any movies at all at 1080p, it would fill hard-drives fast, no matter how big they are.
Thank you.

I was hoping they had some kind of announcement to this effect, instead I get the idea Apple is trying to discourage movies via optical media and instead focusing on downloads. I think both options should be available as I don't feel like I should have to pay for a rental when I already own the movie on blu-ray (I have 52 blu-ray movies and counting).

The HD space is another concern as mentioned above...also is the time involved to download such a movie assuming you are in an wi-fi environment to make it possible. If I'm going on a trip, I'd like to be able to just take some movies with me and pop em in instead of having to pay for and download what I might want to watch right before I leave.

mpeterson78
Jan 17, 2008, 09:05 AM
Yeah, I've been waiting for quite some time. Haha you think you guys have old computers? I'm still chugging along with my 867 mhz TiBook. I've been waiting to purchase a MBP ever since it came out, and I finally am able to now, so I was upset to hear no such update came from Macworld. Oh well, I've waited this long, I can still hold out for a few weeks/months. If there was blu-ray in the new ones that would be so money.

John Purple
Jan 17, 2008, 09:42 AM
Don't forget that the MacBook Pro is an existing product. Thus Apple won't announce an update until the existing inventory is down and the new product is ready or just about shipping. Why would they announce it in advance, as they would risk losing sales on the existing product. My guess you'll (we'll) just have a to wait a little while longer (2-4 weeks?). I hope so at least, as I'm waiting to upgrade too... :)

We should change the Buyer's Guide advice to 'buy now' and tell everybody on this forum (and elsewhere) that they should buy a MBP now, as the update will probably show up in November ...

not nice, not nice :D

deathshrub
Jan 17, 2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah? What about it?

jb510
Jan 17, 2008, 10:21 AM
I heard that all the new apple DVD drives were HD DVD and they had to scrap them at the last minute or else looks foolish... Just kidding, I didn't hear anything, but one might wonder if that was a possible scenario. Maybe they were going HD and at the last minute changed there plan to Blu-Ray.

It does make sense to me that they would want to release a MBP update on top of the MBA and reduce any of the press buzz about a new machine. Although on the other hand Steve had Paul Otellini of Intel ON STAGE with him at the keynote... seems like a pretty good relationship... it'd be bizarre that apple wouldn't quickly adopt Penryen... unless Intel ALSO made a super small penryn processor for the MBP.

I too am keeping my fingers crossed for a MBP update very very soon. I've been waiting 6 months and my existing laptop is literally dying slowly. There is something wrong on the internal USB hub causing it to mount/unmount sometimes when I move the computer... sometimes does it a thousand times a second and crashes, sometimes it doesn't. I was hoping not to have to crack it open to repair until I had a new machine ready to go.

AntiPhoenix
Jan 18, 2008, 10:41 AM
On the russian Tom's Hardware Guide website (www.thg.ru) i read that Intel has some problems with termal sensors of the mobile Penryns and will begin shipping in February.

Sannekita
Jan 18, 2008, 01:12 PM
I don't think they'll put in Blue Ray drives. They just released the Mac Pro without it. It would make no sense to suddenly put it in I think.

John Purple
Jan 18, 2008, 02:22 PM
I don't think they'll put in Blue Ray drives. They just released the Mac Pro without it. It would make no sense to suddenly put it in I think.

What I understood from different sites I visited is that Blu-Ray will not work well with the old graphic cards. If Apple chooses NVIDIA for MBP as in the past, they will have to use 8800m GT.. (that's what they say on the NVIDIA site). As Apple has obviously problems to make the 8800 generation run on a Mac or with Leopard (the first shipping of Mac Pro with 8800 will be in 3-5 weeks only) IMO we will not see an MBP update until than. Even if Apple launches the MBP update with no Blu-Ray drive built-in, I'm quite sure they will wait for the new MBP generation until it will support Blu-Ray in external drives. Otherwise they would have to update MBP again in 2-3 months...

captnfun
Jan 21, 2008, 01:57 AM
In todays Sunday newspaper advertisements I found an HP notebook with a Blu-ray reader and CD/DVD burner for $1299. All the other laptop makers have blu-ray burners available on their pro machines. Apple seems to be sitting this one out. And Why? because of Apple TV? with 720p rentals, and the only movies you can actually own are "near dvd" quality? People will still want to own their favorite movies (and in HD to go with their shiny new HDTV)

HD camcorders are coming down in price and they use Hard Drives and flash memory. We will want to be able to share those movies with family and friends and back them up with a physical disc.

There may come a day when there are no more physical media formats, but I think blu-ray will be the last, and it will last a very long time. It took the government FOREVER to ratify the HDTV format and there wont be a newer one for many years. 1080P will be with us for a long long time.

C'mon Steve give me my blu-ray burnin Macbook pro. I got the money set aside.

matthutch
Jan 21, 2008, 02:45 AM

It can't happen on the 16th.... it isn't a Tuesday :rolleyes:

It would be nice to see some new MB Pro's but like other have said I think they they'll just appear one day like the Mac Pro updates :) Mind you I have nothing to base that on what so ever

RoDe
Jan 21, 2008, 08:47 AM
I to was a little disappointed that they didn't update the MBP's. I've sold mine just before the keynote. I hope they get more than just speedbumb and multitouch trackpad. Hope they do a hardcore update. Because that's what it needs.

Shaman Beloved
Jan 21, 2008, 09:46 AM
I'm predicting only a minor bump done with the Penryn processors, and perhaps some bluray and ssd options. 2009 with the Calpella platform will bring the real redesigns and speed jumps in laptops. Meanwhile, get what you need, sit back, and enjoy what you have.

Digital Skunk
Jan 21, 2008, 09:58 AM
In todays Sunday newspaper advertisements I found an HP notebook with a Blu-ray reader and CD/DVD burner for $1299. All the other laptop makers have blu-ray burners available on their pro machines. Apple seems to be sitting this one out. And Why? because of Apple TV? with 720p rentals, and the only movies you can actually own are "near dvd" quality? People will still want to own their favorite movies (and in HD to go with their shiny new HDTV)

HD camcorders are coming down in price and they use Hard Drives and flash memory. We will want to be able to share those movies with family and friends and back them up with a physical disc.

There may come a day when there are no more physical media formats, but I think blu-ray will be the last, and it will last a very long time. It took the government FOREVER to ratify the HDTV format and there wont be a newer one for many years. 1080P will be with us for a long long time.

C'mon Steve give me my blu-ray burnin Macbook pro. I got the money set aside.

Apple's sitting Blu-Ray out because it's far too overrated. Now one is interested in buying a $25 optical disc or movies just yet. There aren't too many people with HD TVs. The truth is, there isn't much of a market for HD optical content and burners, and the price for the stuff is still too high.

Right now I am on the "Just give me the MacBook Pro and i will stick the hardware I need in it" approach to everything. I hope the new books allow the user to customize as much as they can. SSD, Blu Ray, Dual HDD on the 17", 512MB GFX cards, etc. That way those that want a slower Intel chip to lower the price of their book can do so, and those that want to stick everything they can in their books can do so as well. If they don't put a BRD option in the MBP then there are venders offering internal slot loading BRD drives that we can put in our books ourselves.

I'm predicting only a minor bump done with the Penryn processors, and perhaps some bluray and ssd options. 2009 with the Calpella platform will bring the real redesigns and speed jumps in laptops. Meanwhile, get what you need, sit back, and enjoy what you have.

We will see redesigns with either Monteniva in the second half of 08' or soon in expectations of Monteniva in 08. If Apple does do a redesign in another year they would have lost a lot of ground in the design front to Dell and other vendors. Their machines aren't as sleek and simple, but they are getting the idea that looks matter, and PC vendors will start to offer the best of both worlds: A good looking machine with full customization.

ob81
Jan 21, 2008, 10:26 AM
Right now I am on the "Just give me the MacBook Pro and i will stick the hardware I need in it" approach to everything. I hope the new books allow the user to customize as much as they can. SSD, Blu Ray, Dual HDD on the 17", 512MB GFX cards, etc. That way those that want a slower Intel chip to lower the price of their book can do so, and those that want to stick everything they can in their books can do so as well. If they don't put a BRD option in the MBP then there are venders offering internal slot loading BRD drives that we can put in our books ourselves.

Doubt laptops will ever be that flexible. Apple doesn't seem to care about graphics cards or any media format other than digital. The macbook pro that you seem to be waiting for seems awesome, but I doubt it ever surfaces.

TheHomeRun
Jan 22, 2008, 07:24 AM
The apple store is being updated....

TheHomeRun
Jan 22, 2008, 07:44 AM
Haha, I guess I got too excited when the store went down. It looks like it was either a new nano color or it needed a fix. Oh well.