Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solmaker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Deal-breaker #1 - Bezel to the max

MBA is even longer and wider than a MB - 15.613" diagonal with only a 13.3" screen. Its massive bezel around the screen was the first thing I noticed about it. That's okay (albeit annoying) in a low-end MB, but hard to justify in a high-end MBA whose only selling point is portability and cutting-edge design. The bezel should be 1" thinner (like the MBP), either by reducing the machine size or increasing the screen.

Deal-breaker #2 - No matte

I have both a matte PB and the latest glossy MB - and the glossy MB screen is really sub-par. I want a matte option in a $1.8-3.0K machine.

Deal-breaker #3 - No dock

I can see having no optical drive and other lost ports if there were a dock included to provide full functionality - but this baby's got nothing! No firewire, no ethernet, no audio in, no stereo speakers, no CD/DVD... everything hanging on a single USB2 port?!?

Deal-breaker #4 - Lousy hard drive

The MBA lives or dies by its hard drive, and its only option (under $3K) is a crummy 80GB 4200-rpm PATA drive?!? Even the $350 iPod holds 160GB! With great deals available like $200 for WD Scorpio 320GB SATA, why put this 80GB dog under the MBA hood?

Deal-breaker #5 - High bucks for the bang

With all these negatives, and only one positive (thinness), the $1800 price is way too much, especially considering that Apple further nickel-and-dimes accessories to bring the MBA anywhere near MB capabilities: $99 for superdrive, $29 for ethernet adapter, about $20 for USB2 micro hub, and $19 for Apple Remote (included free with all other MBs - talk about adding insult to injury).

BIK

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
you should write for Letterman, i know you got five more in you

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I think this is an experimental product for :apple:, I'm just waiting to see the cool new features incorporated in the rest of the Mac products.
It's too expensive for the computer power we get, it's just a websurfer macbook, or to be used to play iTunes media.
________
sativa strains

Last edited:

chewietobbacca

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
I think this is an experimental product for :apple:, I'm just waiting to see the cool new features incorporated in the rest of the Mac products.
It's too expensive for the computer power we get, it's just a websurfer macbook, or to be used to play iTunes media.

With no built in speaker's no less...

I doubt it's an experimental product though, they wouldn't have made it the keynote

solmaker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
>you should write for Letterman, i know you got five more in you

No can do... Writer's (actually Producer's) Strike. :rolleyes:

>With no built in speaker's no less...

It's got built-in mono (not stereo) speakers.

macRat17

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2007
Pricey for a "secondary computer"
Battery not servicible
and YES the bezel is a little too wide

If i had the money i would still buy one though :D

alebar14

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2007
Auckland CBD, New Zealand
If it's that darn expensive, I wonder how much Apple should charge the Macbook Air ? Would $1,299 for the base model and $1,499 for the "high end" model be the reasonable price ?

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
With no built in speaker's no less...

I doubt it's an experimental product though, they wouldn't have made it the keynote

I mean that they will see how the market responds to it, and then decide what to do next with the technology.
Maybe it's targeted to Top Executives who don't care what to pay and just want a light computer to carry on during their business trips, just to check emails and websites.
________
weed

Last edited:

BIK

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
Yes

then at that price point i would feel a bit of buyers remorse for getting a blackbook on christmas

chewietobbacca

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
If it's that darn expensive, I wonder how much Apple should charge the Macbook Air ? Would $1,299 for the base model and $1,499 for the "high end" model be the reasonable price ?

I'd say so considering things like the Asus EEE can be had for $400.

That said, I don't know if Apple can lower the prices much. We already know that the CPU used was a SFF version of the Merom and was made just for this by Intel, and if the platform is not adopted by other clients to Intel, then Apple probably paid a hefty premium for what is essentially custom-ordered

chewietobbacca

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
I mean that they will see how the market responds to it, and then decide what to do next with the technology.
Maybe it's targeted to Top Executives who don't care what to pay and just want a light computer to carry on during their business trips, just to check emails and websites.

Well I hope that's not what they're solely banking on because not only do most executives carry smart phones for email, but things like exchange servers and security will limit this for corporate use. Personal use of course can be had. Time will tell though... sooner or later, time will tell.

wentwj

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
I'm sure the bezel is that big because it needs to be. Apple doesn't employe wizards people. If they make a computer THAT thin, they need to put the components somewhere, so they clearly needed to expand horizontally that extra inch. they didn't just decide to make the bezel bigger just because.

I agree the machine is expensive, but I really don't get all the hate over it. It's a very neat little machine for what it does, and if I had a fully functional desktop (aka a Mac Pro) or some other dedicated machine to do real work on, I'd likely pick one up (probably will pick one up if newer models are available later this year or early next). It's clearly a secondary machine, or perhaps a primary machine for a college student who doesn't play games or do anything other than word process and web surfing.

As far as I can see it's primary fault is the price, everything else seems to be just a matter of people wanting it to be something it's not.

solmaker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
>Battery not serviceable

Yup... deal-breaker #6! It's annoying that all the parts (especially battery and HD) are practically soldered in.

>If i had the money i would still buy one though

Yeah, with all my negative comments... I'm tempted myself! :eek: I guess what I really want is a MacBook PRO Air, not a sub-MB at a MBP price. :mad: Either that, or the current MBA with a 10" or 12" screen and a small bezel to make it really ultra-portable.

Seeing the reality of the MBA makes the low-end MBP look awfully good, especially when it's refreshed in a week or two.

island

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
Nashville
Jan 2007: People complain no new MacBooks @ MacWorld.

Jan 2008: People complain about new MacBook @ MacWorld.

Jan 2009: People complain about....

:rolleyes:

solmaker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
>I'm sure the bezel is that big because it needs to be. Apple doesn't employ wizards people.
>If they make a computer THAT thin, they need to put the components somewhere, so they clearly
>needed to expand horizontally that extra inch. they didn't just decide to make the bezel bigger just because.

Good point, but consider this: the MBA is only 0.16" thick around the edges... how much electronics fits in a sixth of an inch? I once had to take apart my dropped 1GHz TiBook, and there was a bunch of plastic webbing filling out the edges which I glued back together to make a solid repair. There may well be just filler around the MBA edges to give it a "cutting-edge" form factor. I'd prefer something blunter and an inch less wide!

Also, they could have fit a 14.4" screen in the same space and reduced the bezel (assuming such LCD sizes are available).

r-gordon-7

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
>I'm sure the bezel is that big because it needs to be. Apple doesn't employ wizards people.
>If they make a computer THAT thin, they need to put the components somewhere, so they clearly
>needed to expand horizontally that extra inch. they didn't just decide to make the bezel bigger just because.

Good point, but consider this: the MBA is only 0.16" thick around the edges... how much electronics fits in a sixth of an inch? I once had to take apart my dropped 1GHz TiBook, and there was a bunch of plastic webbing filling out the edges which I glued back together to make a solid repair. There may well be just filler around the MBA edges to give it a "cutting-edge" form factor. I'd prefer something blunter and an inch less wide!

Also, they could have fit a 14.4" screen in the same space and reduced the bezel (assuming such LCD sizes are available).

The bezel width was probably driven by the need to provide sufficient skeletal strength to the lid...

r-gordon-7

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2003
Las vegas
I think not being able to add memory is a dealbreaker as well.

2 gigs for what you'll actually want to do on that computer is probably plenty. I wonder what it would look like next to my old 12 inch powerbook. That was a cool little comp. They need to come out with a new one of those.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Uh - solmaker - how are you figuring the Air has a bigger footprint than the MB? They have the same exact width & depth.

I for one was thrilled that it doesn't have an optical.

I think it's priced more than reasonably well, and IDK why people are upset when there are 5 other laptop options to choose from. You don't like it. So what? Why start a thread about something you don't like when you have choices?

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Deal-breaker #1 - Bezel to the max

MBA is even longer and wider than a MB - 15.613" diagonal with only a 13.3" screen. Its massive bezel around the screen was the first thing I noticed about it. That's okay (albeit annoying) in a low-end MB, but hard to justify in a high-end MBA whose only selling point is portability and cutting-edge design. The bezel should be 1" thinner (like the MBP), either by reducing the machine size or increasing the screen.

Deal-breaker #2 - No matte

I have both a matte PB and the latest glossy MB - and the glossy MB screen is really sub-par. I want a matte option in a $1.8-3.0K machine.

Deal-breaker #3 - No dock

I can see having no optical drive and other lost ports if there were a dock included to provide full functionality - but this baby's got nothing! No firewire, no ethernet, no audio in, no stereo speakers, no CD/DVD... everything hanging on a single USB2 port?!?

Deal-breaker #4 - Lousy hard drive

The MBA lives or dies by its hard drive, and its only option (under $3K) is a crummy 80GB 4200-rpm PATA drive?!? Even the $350 iPod holds 160GB! With great deals available like $200 for WD Scorpio 320GB SATA, why put this 80GB dog under the MBA hood?

Deal-breaker #5 - High bucks for the bang

With all these negatives, and only one positive (thinness), the $1800 price is way too much, especially considering that Apple further nickel-and-dimes accessories to bring the MBA anywhere near MB capabilities: $99 for superdrive, $29 for ethernet adapter, about $20 for USB2 micro hub, and $19 for Apple Remote (included free with all other MBs - talk about adding insult to injury).

Dude ur spot on!!!!

carsncars

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2007
accept the lack of an optical drive. In a portable, secondary
machine, I rarely use it -- I can't recall a single instance where
I've used it on the road.

I accept the built-in battery. It's a price to pay for the thinness
and weight, and the fact that Apple does the replacement free of
charge certainly makes the pill easier to swallow. Sure, I'll be
without my Macbook Air for a week, but it's my secondary machine -- I
can deal. That week without it, IMO, is worth 1.5-2 years of
portability.

I accept the single USB port. The only situation where I use more
than one USB device is downloading photos from my camera to a
portable HDD, and in that case I can just pack in a mini USB hub into
my camera bag. If I do end up requiring multiple USB devices, chances
are I'll be at home or at school and I can use a hub (I cannot see
juggling multiple USB devices while on-the-go).

I can accept the 1.8" hard drive, as well. I'm not going to be doing
any intensive work on here -- it'll last. And, come two years' time
and it fails, 1.8" 80Gb hard drives should be dirt cheap. Besides, it's
my secondary machine, so I'll be backing up regularly.

What I cannot accept, however, is the 13.3" footprint. Especially
with the grotesquely large size of the Macbook and Macbook Air's LCD
bezels, it just makes it an impossibility to use it on an airline
fold-out tray table. This absolutely kills the deal for me. The
thinness and light weight are all very well... but it's not an
ultraportable. That is my dealbreaker. :)

Too bad... I would've been sold with an 11.1" or 12.1". I'll stick to
my 2-year-old VAIO TX for now, then.

chewietobbacca

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
What I cannot accept, however, is the 13.3" footprint. Especially
with the grotesquely large size of the Macbook and Macbook Air's LCD
bezels, it just makes it an impossibility to use it on an airline
fold-out tray table. This absolutely kills the deal for me. The
thinness and light weight are all very well... but it's not an
ultraportable. That is my dealbreaker. :)

Too bad... I would've been sold with an 11.1" or 12.1". I'll stick to
my 2-year-old VAIO TX for now, then.

That footprint definitely hurts calling it an ultra-portable. I wish it were an 11" that thin, that would've been nice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.